News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Time to stop all this moaning and analysis!!

Started by davew, August 26, 2018, 11:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

We had a great season last year and I think most of us are surprised at the investment in that last transfer window and after watching today's match at the quality of the new players, so stop the moaning! Some of us oldies had to endure years of watching poor performances, no flowing football and always struggling, whatever we achieve this season we have a quality squad!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on August 26, 2018, 11:54:44 PM
We had a great season last year and I think most of us are surprised at the investment in that last transfer window and after watching today's match at the quality of the new players, so stop the moaning! Some of us oldies had to endure years of watching poor performances, no flowing football and always struggling, whatever we achieve this season we have a quality squad!

Touche and I concur.
As you have alluded to, there is far far too much dissecting of performances individual or otherwise.
We won 4 2 in what was a very well deserved and entertaining and encouraging performance.
We saw 4 good Goals from Fulham, and three massive and well timed points.
We know it wasn't perfect, we know we are not the finished article, we know there is room for improvement, we know Surgery needs to be done.
We have observed members getting irate over a detail that is just a difference of opinion.
It is important that we embrace these victories, and be grateful to have witnessed what has taken place.
To prove these points, you only have to remember the smiles, and the laughter and the looks of relief, and the togetherness of the players after the final whistle.
Clearly there is a team spirit that has formed, which was reflected in the team performance v Burnley.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 27, 2018, 12:14:21 AM

Touche and I concur.
As you have alluded to, there is far far too much dissecting of performances individual or otherwise.
We won 4 2 in what was a very well deserved and entertaining and encouraging performance.
We know it wasn't perfect, we know we are not the finished article, we know there is room for improvement, we know Surgery needs to be done.
We have observed members getting irate over a detail that is just a difference of opinion.
It is important that we embrace these victories, and be grateful to have witnessed what has taken place.
To prove these points, you only have to remember the smiles, and the laughter and the looks of relief, and the togetherness of the players after the final whistle.
Clearly there is a team spirit that has formed, which was reflected in the team performance v Burnley.
I have a complaint WOOLLY, why are you not doing the 'Tipping Round' this season??
Running scared I heard!!
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on August 27, 2018, 12:34:00 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 27, 2018, 12:14:21 AM

Touche and I concur.
I have a complaint WOOLLY, why are you not doing the 'Tipping Round' this season??
Running scared I heard!!

I thought I would give someone else a chance, as it's not fair if the same person won it again. I do not want to win another Goldfish, as the one I won last year makes a heck of a noise when I am trying to sleep, plus he insists on watching Judge Judy every evening.
So can you imagine what it would be like if there were two of them, they would gang up on me.
Instead I have entered a different competition, which is to cross the English Channel on a plank, but I cannot find a plank long enough.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

lamby

And probably only 1 point down on where we thought we would be after 3 games!

love4ffc

To play the devil's advocate. 

There are far too many people on the board who forget what the basis of a forum is.

As Woolly likes to say: Webster defines a forum as:  a public meeting place for open discussion or a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion of a proposal or problem

It seems to me, and others who have PM'd mods that lately any time an idea, thought, or analysis is put fourth that does not agree with their notion of fields of roses filled with rays of sunshine that it is too radical or negative.  Hence those members are chastised or worst driven away from the board.  So I would remind members who like to pounce on any idea, thought or analysis that does not sit well with their constitution that a forum becomes mundane and useless when there are no alternative views or opinions.   

Now I ask that you all don't misunderstand me.  There will always be those who are truly are moaners and WUM's that poo poo everything and anything.  That still doesn't mean that every notion or post put forth is a moan or complaint.  Instead I would ask members to consider most things put forth on the board are just food for thought.  Thoughts that should be embraced and debated.  Not just criticized and ridiculed.  Otherwise members will never post anything for fear of being crucified which will lead to just driving away good members and otherwise killing a good forum.   

Again, I want to stipulate that this does not mean I, and others, are not happy and completely behind Slav and the team.  On the contrary, we just want a good discussion on how the team's performance can continue and improve  049:gif
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Mince n Tatties

I see one of the new mods locked down the topic on forwards and defence stating it turned to drivel and people were having a go at one another.
I never read anything vicious or whatever,it is supposed to be a forum on discussion, people have different opinions or do they now want us to agree with each other on everything,what would be the point I ask.😊

hovewhite

Arthur

Quote from: love4ffc on August 27, 2018, 03:42:37 AM

There are far too many people on the board who forget what the basis of a forum is.

As Woolly likes to say: Webster defines a forum as:  a public meeting place for open discussion or a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion of a proposal or problem

It seems to me, and others who have PM'd mods that lately any time an idea, thought, or analysis is put fourth that does not agree with their notion of fields of roses filled with rays of sunshine that it is too radical or negative.  Hence those members are chastised or worst driven away from the board.  So I would remind members who like to pounce on any idea, thought or analysis that does not sit well with their constitution that a forum becomes mundane and useless when there are no alternative views or opinions.   

Now I ask that you all don't misunderstand me.  There will always be those who are truly are moaners and WUM's that poo poo everything and anything.  That still doesn't mean that every notion or post put forth is a moan or complaint.  Instead I would ask members to consider most things put forth on the board are just food for thought.  Thoughts that should be embraced and debated.  Not just criticized and ridiculed.  Otherwise members will never post anything for fear of being crucified which will lead to just driving away good members and otherwise killing a good forum.   

Again, I want to stipulate that this does not mean I, and others, are not happy and completely behind Slav and the team.  On the contrary, we just want a good discussion on how the team's performance can continue and improve  049:gif

I agree with you, but this statement appears, to me, to be at odds with the actions of a fellow moderator.

Upon locking a thread yesterday evening, elgreenio has stated:
closing as this has turned to complete drivel. Personal insults and attacks are not welcome on this forum in any way, shape or form.
There is also no need to respond in kind to any of these and only add to the situation, if you don't like an opinion, ignore it.

And yet, having looked at the thread, with the exception of perhaps one post, it seems to me that there is debate without intention to insult.

Dare I say, there seems to be an anomaly in the way that attacks are defined: If someone contributes a post and one-or-two people disagree and reply to say as much, this seems to be fine. But if, say, six-or-seven people disagree and post their responses, this seems to be considered an attack. And yet the replies are not co-ordinated, so why is this? Why is it that a response might be judged, not necessarily by what it says, but by how many others have been posted ahead of it?

Further still, perhaps you would clarify how are we meant to marry elgreenio's advice to ignore opinions that we don't like with your assertion that 'a forum becomes mundane and useless when there are no alternative views or opinions'?

As for the locked thread being drivel, I guess we all have our different views as to what constitutes 'drivel'. To me, it's the continual references to Hilda the Tea Lady and to Crouch, Koumas, Cole et al in the Transfer Thread, which return every window even though their once mild amusement value passed away years ago. That is drivel to me, far more so.

Is mine an opinion that's sits within your view of what this forum should allow, love4ffc, or one that falls under the non-permissible replies outlined by elgreenio? I honestly don't know, but I imagine I'll soon find out.

elgreenio

Quote from: Arthur on August 27, 2018, 07:00:00 AM
Quote from: love4ffc on August 27, 2018, 03:42:37 AM

I agree with you, but this statement appears, to me, to be at odds with the actions of a fellow moderator.

Upon locking a thread yesterday evening, elgreenio has stated:
closing as this has turned to complete drivel. Personal insults and attacks are not welcome on this forum in any way, shape or form.
There is also no need to respond in kind to any of these and only add to the situation, if you don't like an opinion, ignore it.

And yet, having looked at the thread, with the exception of perhaps one post, it seems to me that there is debate without intention to insult.

Dare I say, there seems to be an anomaly in the way that attacks are defined: If someone contributes a post and one-or-two people disagree and reply to say as much, this seems to be fine. But if, say, six-or-seven people disagree and post their responses, this seems to be considered an attack. And yet the replies are not co-ordinated, so why is this? Why is it that a response might be judged, not necessarily by what it says, but by how many others have been posted ahead of it?

Further still, perhaps you would clarify how are we meant to marry elgreenio's advice to ignore opinions that we don't like with your assertion that 'a forum becomes mundane and useless when there are no alternative views or opinions'?

As for the locked thread being drivel, I guess we all have our different views as to what constitutes 'drivel'. To me, it's the continual references to Hilda the Tea Lady and to Crouch, Koumas, Cole et al in the Transfer Thread, which return every window even though their once mild amusement value passed away years ago. That is drivel to me, far more so.

Is mine an opinion that's sits within your view of what this forum should allow, love4ffc, or one that falls under the non-permissible replies outlined by elgreenio? I honestly don't know, but I imagine I'll soon find out.

my radar went off a bit here so may as well add to this.

The thread in question was indeed locked as it had got away from the subject and turned into a bit of insult throwing (I imagine it would have only delved further into that had it been left open). There have been posts removed from what you've likely read this morning, one in particular which was most unwelcome and has led to some discussion between mods.

I'm (and everybody else i'm sure are) all for debate and opinion when it is indeed that without thinly-veiled jibes at others thrown in. Potentially my choice of words at that time of evening were lacking (i've since found my thesaurus under my Zesh Rehman signed Fulham frisbee) but i'm happy that closing the thread was the right way to go, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further  082.gif

touch my camera through the fence

Cambridge Pete

As another oldie I can only agree. Yesterday was a performance to sit back and enjoy. Slick, athletic, the right amount of aggression. A joy. Thank you

toshes mate

Since the use of a Thesaurus has been mentioned is it worthwhile to consider that a moan is considered to be grumble, gripe (informal), whinge (UK, informal), grouse (informal), lament, sob, wail, and a compliment is to flatter, praise, admire, congratulate, approve, pay tribute to, butter up (informal).  To analyse is to examine, study, investigate, scrutinize, evaluate, consider, question, explore, probe, dissect, inspect.  Drivel is a little more controversial with nonsense, bunkum (informal), hogwash (informal), balderdash, malarkey (informal), twaddle (informal), bunk (slang), gibberish, hokum (US, informal disapproving), since, to some contributors, some decisions made will never make sense.

My point is that almost anything ever written on these pages will fall under at least one of the words above, and, correct me if I am wrong, but moderators have the task of deciding when lines have been crossed without ever crossing those lines themselves.   If the Forum really does want to flourish it should avoid censorship like the plague.