watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our defence could be our strength

Started by JOND999, August 29, 2018, 03:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOND999

think about it.  try to make a team in a 4-3-3 format.  the toughest position to fill out is the back 4 with so many quality choices. 

Mawson - huge transfer signing
Ream - our player of the year last year
MLM - has impressed
Chambers - experienced prem league player
Bryan - also has impressed, more with his forward ambition albeit
Fosu-Mensah - young, althletic
Odoi - team player, and that Derby header ...
Christie - not sure?

that's a lot of quality choices for Slava.

and don't forget our largest signing ever (which seems a little crazy but still), Zambo, protecting the back 4.  and 3 choices at GK.

i love our go forward style but shouldn't we be a good to very good defensive side as well once we get fit and organised?  are the other prem league teams really that much better/deeper at the back?

SG

Do we know the extent of Reams injury and when he will be back playing. Seems there is no news on this from MP

FFCSteve

I wonder what will happen with the goalkeepers! Do we really need three? Someone's nose will be out of joint! After just bringing in two new keepers, will we really get rid of one of them in January? Or will we keep all three and rotate? Or just pee one of them off all season?
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

Woolly Mammoth

Rotating keepers imo is never wise, one is only on loan anyway.
Just pick on merit.
You never know who will get injured next.
At least having competition for places should keep them on their toes.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WindyCity

Well, I sure hope the thread originator is right about that.  So far after (only) 3 games, the backline defense looks like a weak point.  It's early, and we do have guys out with injuries, but there is a lot of room for improvement, and hopefully we see this as season moves forward.

Woolly Mammoth

I believe we have the defenders we need to make a fist of it when all are fit.
I know that it could be a lot better. But given time, I am sure the coaching team and Jok can mould them into a defensive unit, and that includes the Goalkeeper.

Never forget your Roots.

hongkongfulham

Bryan will hold down left back injuries permitted. Good player.
I think we will prefer Mawson and Ream at the back, and despite some naysayers, I believe chambers will do a very good job for us. MLM also solid but will end up behind those 3 for me.
Right back Christie and Mensah will trade off the spot until one starts playing the killer ball more often

Plenty of reasons to think our back 4 will stop leaking.

filham

Our back four is not looking at all strong in defence and Jokanovic cannot be sure what his best line up is. We are still awaiting the return of Ream and the introduction of Mawson, things may improve when these two are fit and settled.

Woolly Mammoth

The best defence has the best offence.

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 29, 2018, 11:08:26 PM
The best defence has the best offence.

This is our philosophy I think. Unless we have Pique and Godin at the back, due to our attacking style of play, we're always going to get caught defensively!
I was there, standing in the Putney end

RoyTund

MLM been a pleasant surprise thus far. Cannot see Mawson not walking straight in, even as early as Saturday.

Ream was certainly most improved player last year but I still have huge reservations at this level. Hope he proves me wrong again.

If I was to bet on it, I think our first choice pairing will be Mawson chambers.

Bassey the warrior

MLM has comfortably been our best defender so far, think Ream can't assume he'll walk straight back in.

Currently defence is our main weakness and I think tactical adjustments are required. When we attack we tend to leave the two cb's alone and they lack the pace to deal with a counter attack.

We'd either need to have Zambo drop back or the full backs to attack one at a time, so one is left back. The former makes the most sense.

Moltobueno

Quote from: JOND999 on August 29, 2018, 03:10:18 PM
Christie - not sure?

I think Christie has been really good.

Mawson will probably be our no.1 CB and so far MLM seems to be his partner.

Can't see Ream/Odoi outplaying Chambers so it will be tough competition for that spot.

nose returns

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on August 30, 2018, 01:59:06 AM
MLM has comfortably been our best defender so far, think Ream can't assume he'll walk straight back in.

Currently defence is our main weakness and I think tactical adjustments are required. When we attack we tend to leave the two cb's alone and they lack the pace to deal with a counter attack.

We'd either need to have Zambo drop back or the full backs to attack one at a time, so one is left back. The former makes the most sense.

MLM has been very good, quite a revelation in fact,  but his error for Burnley's goal was dreadful and unnecesary. I suspect as soon as mawson is fully fit he will start and it will be interesting to see if ream or MLM become the partner for him. i actually think chambers is also good, I know he has made a few errors but I am sure playing in front of fabri and an unsettled midfield was much of the problem. we do need to get a settled back four soon otherwise we will pay a high price.

Chutney

Quote from: FFCSteve on August 29, 2018, 03:46:37 PM
I wonder what will happen with the goalkeepers! Do we really need three? Someone's nose will be out of joint! After just bringing in two new keepers, will we really get rid of one of them in January? Or will we keep all three and rotate? Or just pee one of them off all season?

Rico is only on loan and Slav was quick to drop Fabri after assessing his ability. Betts will start with Rico as back up, I expect Fabri will be asked to leave. That said, its a good policy to have three GKs in case of injuries.
C O Y W