watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR The Resurrection of Parma

Started by Neil D, August 31, 2018, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil D

Interesting BBC podcast on the the fall and resurrection of Parma.  They went bankrupt in 2015 in Serie A with €218m of liabilities, including €63m in unpaid wages.  They were relegated four divisions by the Italian FA to Serie D which is at the top of the non-professional league structure.  The new club was now playing in front of  crowds of just a few hundred away from home.  However, they sold a remarkable 9000 season tickets - admittedly these are a lot cheaper in Italy.  Four years later, after successive promotions to Lega Pro (semi-pro league), then Serie B , they are now back in Serie A. 

What interested me most was that the captain, Alessandro Lucarelli, stuck with the club (the only one to do so) and took them back to Serie A and has now retired.  I thought now that's what I call club loyalty  - an increasingly rare commodity these days.  What the documentary didn't mention is that Lucarelli was 37 at the time of the relegation so you could argue that he didn't have much to lose by sticking with Parma.  Nonetheless, respect is due.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/w3cswtzs

Mince n Tatties

Yes good on him.
There has been a few along the way that have been loyal to their club.

bog

A great story. I recall seeing about the mess when they were relegated. What was the cause again? Was it a succession of incompetent chairman?

092.gif 

FulhamKC

This article on Parma's resurrection was in the New York Times a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/19/sports/soccer/parma-serie-a-italy.html

Neil D

CottagersOnTour

My dad is originally from Parma so along with Fulham (and for my sins Woking) they have been a team I have supported from a young age.

Considering I was in my teens in the mid 90's when the team consisted of Buffon, Thuram, Cannavaro, Chiesa, and Crespo to name but a few, they were a joy to follow. For a while!

Two financial disasters (the first the collapse of their owner/sponsor parmalat) and they are finally back where they belong in Serie A. Hopefully they can repeat the same feat as a few seasons ago and not only survive but end up near the top half of the table.... the long term future is always uncertain with Parma tho!

The BBC also did a great article about Lucarelli earlier this year after Parma got promoted on the last day of the season after the team in second fluffed their lines:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45364161

CottagersOnTour

Quote from: bog on August 31, 2018, 03:16:41 PM
A great story. I recall seeing about the mess when they were relegated. What was the cause again? Was it a succession of incompetent chairman?

092.gif 

This time around they owned around 300 players on a series of strange co ownership deals and loan back agreements.... turns out this was all a tax dodge and the Italian authorities caught on!

Fairly similar to how Rangers were relegated a few years ago to the bottom Scottish division as effectively a new company had to be formed and start from the bottom division (technically they're called Parma Calcio 1913 now...!).

bog

Quote from: CottagersOnTour on August 31, 2018, 10:43:25 PM
Quote from: bog on August 31, 2018, 03:16:41 PM

092.gif 

This time around they owned around 300 players on a series of strange co ownership deals and loan back agreements.... turns out this was all a tax dodge and the Italian authorities caught on!

Fairly similar to how Rangers were relegated a few years ago to the bottom Scottish division as effectively a new company had to be formed and start from the bottom division (technically they're called Parma Calcio 1913 now...!).

Thanks. What an horrendous time their supporters have been through and we thought we had had it bad!

092.gif

Neil D

Quote from: CottagersOnTour on August 31, 2018, 10:09:33 PM
My dad is originally from Parma so along with Fulham (and for my sins Woking) they have been a team I have supported from a young age.

Parma were not flavour of the month for me last season as they were promoted in second place on head-to-head results at the expense of the team I follow in Italy - Frosinone.  However, since they were promoted in the play-offs (like Fulham) I have mellowed.  It will be a tough season in Serie A but I hope their stay will last longer than the one season they spent last time, 2015-16.  Forza i Ciociari!

Steven Ageroad