watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (09/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 09, 2010, 08:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11672_6434587,00.html?
Davies defends aggressive style
Front man speaks out after Murphy comments on tackling

Bolton striker Kevin Davies has defended his aggressive style of play following recent claims from Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy.

Wanderers' newest England call-up was speaking at the Three Lions' hotel ahead of their Euro 2012 clash with Montenegro on Tuesday and the 33-year-old has responded to comments from Murphy that some players are guilty of 'brainless tackles'.

The Cottagers captain has sparked a widespread debate on the current spate of dangerous challenges in the Premier League after accusing managers of Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves of not controlling their players.

Davies accepts that some of the recent tackles in the top flight, of which team-mate Paul Robinson's lunge on Arsenal's Abou Diaby last month could be included, have been 'tasty'.

But the Trotters front man insists he has never been told by a club boss to be overzealous in his physical approach to the game.

Too honest

The former Blackburn marksman said: "I haven't seen the comments but there is a lot going around at the minute and there has been a couple of bad injuries which is not nice to see.

"I can only say about my team and personally I have always been labelled with the aggressive side of it.

"I have picked up a few yellow cards which is fair enough but in terms of red cards there has been nothing for me in years.

"In terms of players at Bolton, and the way we play the game, we never have played like that. We try to win the game in the best way we can, but no manager has ever said you are playing a certain side and you need to rough them up a bit.

"If anything our players are little bit too honest.

"I play the game a certain way and with the speed of the game today you are going to be a little bit out in a few tackles.

"I take a lot of hits myself but I don't complain about it. It's a part of the game I enjoy. The physical side is going out of football at the moment."

WhiteJC

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/dempsey-forward-return-soldier-field?
Dempsey a forward in return to Soldier Field

Fulham favorite likely to play as withdrawn striker vs. Poland

CHICAGO – Chicago's Soldier Field has been good to US national team forward Clint Dempsey over the years.

There's the goal against England on May 28, 2005, and another against Brazil on Sept. 9, 2007. He also started the triumphant CONCACAF Gold Cup final in 2007 against Mexico.

His success there is not only limited to international duty. Dempsey scored in the venue as a member of the New England Revolution back on April 27, 2005, in a 3-0 win over the Chicago Fire. It's been over five years, but he still remembers the celebration.

"The celebration I did then was I went to the fans, tucked my shirt in and 'take a pic,'" Dempsey told MLSsoccer.com on Thursday after US practice.

For Saturday's match at Soldier Field against Poland, Dempsey is listed as a forward on the official match roster. At the 2010 World Cup, he fell into the "midfielder" category.

Leading up to the first match in South Africa, Dempsey was pestered by questions regarding the position that suited him best. He did not shy away from saying he has always wanted to be as close to goal as possible.

His nose for the net is evidenced by his nine goals for English Premier League club Fulham FC last season. The 27-year-old already has netted three times for the Cottagers this season.

Against Poland, which marks Dempsey's first call-up of the 2014 World Cup cycle, the former Revs midfielder looks set to start at forward.

"It's a tough question," Dempsey said of whether the move to forward for the USA is permanent. "Who knows? Whatever position I can be effective for this team — I don't need to necessarily have a position that's mapped out for me. I enjoy having the freedom to play different roles, and I feel I'm effective in most roles that I play.

"This week, that has been a position I've been playing — withdrawn forward — and maybe you can see me come gameday in that position."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216331
Fulham - Liverpool Takeover Fear!
Could there be a sting in the tail with the latest goings-on at Anfield?

The latest Liverpool takeover has the potential for the new owners to hand across a treasure chest for Roy Hodgson to invest in the players that Roy believes will make Liverpool a feared team again.

Naturally, we`re worried that one of Roy`s targets could be our own Brede Hangeland

Although Roy had previously stated that he`d not return to Craven Cottage to poach any of his former stars, it didn`t stop Paul Konchesky moving north.

Therefore, it remains to be seen if Roy is tempted to lure our Norwegian centre back to Anfield with Roy knowing that he is a class act and that, just perhaps, a decent offer would see any resistance to a transfer blown away.

Worrying times!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216331#ixzz11qQygXae

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216332
Fulham - Cutting Out the Bad Guys!
In recent days, following on from the De Jong tackle, dirty play has sprung to the fore in our fabulous tabloids.

Newcastle were so out-raged by the tackle they`ve vehemently called for De Yong to be banned whilst other articles have selected clubs which they believe are at the forefront of the aggressive style of football now littering the Premier League.

Our own Danny Murphy, a cultured artist of the game, has spoken out about the situation, in the tabloid media this morning, and is quoted as having remarked,

"The managers are sending the players out so pumped up that there are inevitably going to be problems."

"You can look at the players and blame them. But every team has a captain and a manager who is in charge."

"The pace some players are going into tackles is ridiculous. There are no brains in the players doing that."

Is Danny right? Is the hurly-burly of the Premier League providing cover for those of an erratic nature?

Continuing along the theme of dirty players, Danny is all for retrospective analysis when I to comes to punishing offenders, although retrospective punishment doesn`t relate to just poor tackling with Danny remarking,

"There`s an argument for retrospective punishments."

"Referee`s can`t always get it right. If there was a board of ex-professionals, they would know what was a bad tackle or whether the decision was right or wrong."

"It`s not that difficult and there`s no cost issue these days. Then the people who deserve to get punished will get punished. It`s not just fouls. I think we should punish cheating, simulation, a lot of things. Why not address them on Monday to get it right."

I think Danny is right on both counts, how about you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216332#ixzz11qREpBnW

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/stoke-city/murphy-questions-pulis-tactics-1105539.html?
Murphy questions Pulis tactics

Danny Murphy has slammed Tony Pulis and others by claiming the Stoke boss sends out his players too pumped up for games
This season a spotlight has fallen on some of the bad challenges that have been creeping into the game, especially after Fulham's Bobby Zamora and Newcastle's Hatem Ben Afra had there legs broken via tough tackles.

There have also been other occasions when players have made what Murphy calls "ridiculous" and "brainless" challenges which have seen the victims ending up being hurt.

Murphy has now called on the managers of Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves to take some responsibility for their players action, saying the likes of Pulis need to bring members of their team under control.

"Your manager dictates what your players do and how you behave," said Murphy at Leaders in Football Conference.

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more - the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves.

"They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there is inevitably going to be problems.

"Every ship has a captain and that's the manager who is in charge."

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/10/saturday_night_fun_after_wigan.php?

Saturday Night Fun after Wigan
Posted by Phil Mison
Just a thought, especially for any of our international fans thinking of travelling into London for the Wigan game at the end of the month. Wanna join me for a fabulous night of Led Zep afterwards?

Anyone who heard my podcast last month on LA's World Soccer Daily will know I'm a big music fan (ten years as a professional DJ across Europe before hanging up the mike to get into sport's journalism). Whenever I get the chance I'll be around town with my guitar bashing out a few chords. OK, I must admit to being strictly old school here, but there is only ONE tribute band in the UK that comes close to capturing the excitement and raw power of those rock leviathans Led Zeppelin.

© BLZ

Boot-Led Zeppelin by name, and playing Kingston on October 30th, a mere 30 minutes down the line from CC. If there's enough interest I can package things up with transport and tickets with time for a few beers between end of game and start of gig at 9pm. Admission is just £10.

All replies will remain confidential and not be published unless indicated otherwise. Who fancies it?

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/stoke-city/fulham-ace-worried-by-pulis-1105539.html?
Fulham ace worried by Pulis
Stoke City, 16:05, October 8, 2010

Danny Murphy has slammed Tony Pulis and others by claiming the Stoke boss sends out his players too pumped up for games

This season a spotlight has fallen on some of the bad challenges that have been creeping into the game, especially after Fulham's Bobby Zamora and Newcastle's Hatem Ben Afra had there legs broken via tough tackles.

There have also been other occasions when players have made what Murphy calls "ridiculous" and "brainless" challenges which have seen the victims ending up being hurt.

Murphy has now called on the managers of Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves to take some responsibility for their players action, saying the likes of Pulis need to bring members of their team under control.

"Your manager dictates what your players do and how you behave," said Murphy at Leaders in Football Conference.

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more - the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves.

"They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there is inevitably going to be problems.

WhiteJC

http://www.dexysden.com/2010/10/wenger-"schwarzers-too-old...i-like-them-young"/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UkFootballFinderMemberArticles+%28Dexy%27s+Den+-++The+UK%27s+%231+Football+Blog%29
Wenger: "Schwarzer's too old...it's all about the youth"

The real talk this week has been about ageing goalkeepers. One of them, Edwin Van De Sar, looks set to retire to a world of cocoa, Countdown and lunch-time golf, while Mark Schwarzer is looking to prolong his career with a stint at Arsenal, where his job is likely to entail keeping goal, and babysitting Jack Wilshere and friends when mum and dad are out.

So, what do you think of the latest rumours? Who will replace the evergreen Van De Sar and is Schwarzher really any better than Almunia? The floor is yours...

The Real Talking Points

Manchester United goal-keeping coach Eric Steele has said that Edwin Van De Sar may retire at the end of the year. United have been heavily linked with Danish keeper Anders Lindegaard and with CSKA Moscow's Igor Akinfeev.

Mark Schwarzer has reiterated his desire to leave Fulham for Arsenal. Given that Arsene Wenger tends to avoid players over 30 like the plague, my advice to Schwarzer would be to look for another club or if desperate, a Nigerian passport.

Meanwhile, Lassana Diarra has said he may leave Real Madrid. Manchester United are interested in the French international, who boasts an impressive CV of Madrid, Arsenal, Chelsea...and Portsmouth.

Barcelona see Manchester City's Carlos Tevez as the 'ideal foil' for Lionel Messi, according to The Daily Mail. I am not a fan of Tevez, whose skill appears to be in running around a lot, but at least it might help Barca 'wrap up' the Champions League.

Big News if it Happens

Tottenham's Niko Kranjcar just wants to play football. Everton and Villa are interested in trying to help help him out.

Luis Fabiano now wants to join Spurs. The Brazilian rejected the North London side in the summer, but has spent the majority of the season on Seville's bench.

Glen Johnson, fresh from the reality that Liverpool are going nowhere fast, is taking Spanish lessons in a bid to earn a move to Real Madrid. Online sources say that he will follow-up these lessons with tactical advice and, if he's got time, a session on how to defend.

Brazilian Neymar still wants to join Chelsea.

Spurs want Real Madrid's Karim Benzema.

Sven became Leicester's new boss this week. Spare a thought for Sven look-a-like Derek Williams who, having previously been able to attract paying customers anywhere in England or somewhat less likely, Ivory Coast, must now convince punters in Leicester to pay him for being a bloke who looks like Sven.

Other News Thats Barely Interesting

Federico Macheda may go on loan to Everton or Lazio.

Patrick Viera will probably retire at the end of the season. Not that anyone will notice.

John Carew may leave Aston Villa on a free at the end of the season. Which means, almost by default, that Stoke and Blackburn will be interested.

WhiteJC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/10/is_the_premier_league_too_dirt.html?
Is the Premier League too dirty?

When Danny Murphy effectively named and shamed Blackburn Rovers, Stoke City and Wolves as three teams on the Premier League's dark side, he did more than guarantee hostility next time he steps out at The Britannia Stadium, Ewood Park and Molineux.

Murphy, one of football's most eloquent and informed spokesmen, was articulating the fears of those who believe the price of success - and the penalties for failure - in the top flight is forcing players to cross the line when it comes to physical contact.

The former England midfield man suggested Sam Allardyce, Tony Pulis and Mick McCarthy are three managers who are "sending out their players so pumped up there are inevitably going to be problems".

Murphy's outspoken views may have been shaped by Fulham's recent painful experiences against the three clubs he has put in the dock by his remarks at the Leaders in Football conference at Stamford Bridge.

Fulham recently lost Bobby Zamora with a broken leg in a tackle with Wolves captain Karl Henry - although there was clearly no malice in the challenge - and £5m summer signing Moussa Dembele following a wild late lunge by Stoke's Andy Wilkinson in the Carling Cup.

The Cottagers were also angered by some of Blackburn's tactics in the recent game at Ewood Park, especially a charge on goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer by El-Hadji Diouf which led to a goal.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has long been in the vanguard of a campaign to clean up the Premier League - and he now appears to have a willing ally in Murphy.

Henry's tackle was the latest in a series of X-rated challenges in the Premier League. Photo: PA

Events in the Premier League last weekend added weight to their argument, with Henry sent off and roundly condemned - by his own manager McCarthy as well it should also be stressed - for a shocking tackle on Wigan's Jordi Gomez and Newcastle's Hatem ben Arfa suffering a broken leg in an early challenge by Manchester City's Nigel de Jong.

De Jong was subsequently dropped by Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk, who complained that he "needlessly looks to push the limit", although the suspicion this was a calculated cosmetic exercise remains.

Fine words and actions from Van Marwijk, although his principles deserted him in the World Cup final, when De Jong's studs meeting the chest of Spain's Xabi Alonso was the sum total of the coach's tactical subtlety. No talk of punishment then.

So, is Murphy right to express these fears?

Is the Premier League in danger of getting out of hand?

Allardyce, Pulis and McCarthy will argue, with some justification, that if they sent out their respective teams to play the beautiful game against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United, the only certainty would be defeat and the potential to have their employment prematurely terminated.

Physical contact cannot, must not, be removed from the game, while watching football at The Britannia, where the passion of the crowd dovetails with the competitive approach of Pulis's team, is one of the most intoxicating experiences in the Premier League.

And already, in the wake of Murphy's remarks, I have been contacted by many Blackburn fans demanding to know when a player last suffered a serious injury against one of Allardyce's teams.

It is hard to accept the argument that the game is dirtier now than it has been in the past. One Premier League manager of fairly recent vintage was only too happy to boast to me (off the record, of course) that he encouraged his team to "dissuade" the opposition's more skilful players from wishing to spend time on the ball.

Another explained the futility of arranging a hot date on the night you played Don Revie's Leeds United in the 1960s and 70s because you were more likely to find solace in the arms of your doctor or dentist than your girlfriend.

If the argument goes that those acts were perpetrated by better players then than they are now - Everton's Peter Reid, Liverpool's Graeme Souness and Manchester United captain Bryan Robson were ruthless operators but also outstanding footballers - then this would have merit.

And let's get another thing straight. Fulham boss Mark Hughes, so outraged by Wilkinson's challenge on Dembele, was never behind the door when it came to, let's say, looking after himself. Hughes' teams do not tend to be shrinking violets either.

Wind the clock back further and to suggest men like Dave Mackay, Tommy Smith, and, of course, Ron "Chopper" Harris would turn their faces away from the combat of today's Premier League is laughable.

Are there more dirty players around than in previous eras? Hard to prove but, at a guess, highly unlikely.

A significant factor is the increased tempo of the modern game. If you combine the speed with the potential impact of heavy collisions, then this is where the risk of serious injury is greater. If you arrive at a tackle at high speed, huge momentum and recklessness, then you have a potent and damaging cocktail.

Fifa's top medical official Michel d'Hooghe claims football is being disfigured by "criminality" and "brutality" on the pitch - but for every complaint of this sort you are likely to find another bemoaning that it is becoming "a non-contact sport".

As for intent, unless there is an open-and-shut case, as with De Jong's challenge on Alonso, then the only person who really knows is the man making the tackle. The Manchester City player has been villified since his challenge on Ben Arfa, with Newcastle even demanding retrospective punishment, but on first viewing it is easy to see why referee Martin Atkinson let play continue.

This is not suggest it was a good tackle but proving De Jong intended to cause the eventual damage is a tough job.

Where Murphy is absolutely on the mark is with his criticism of players failing to weigh up the potential consequences of their challenges.

He says: "The pace in which some players go into tackles now is ridiculous. There's no brains involved in the players who are doing that.

"I don't believe players are going out to break another player's leg but there has to be some logic and intelligence involved. If you are going at someone at a certain pace and you don't get it right you are going to hurt them."

No names from Murphy but allow me. Step forward Henry, whose challenge against Wigan was everything Murphy was referring to. Uncontrolled, at pace, lacking any semblance of common sense and very fortunate not to result in serious injury for the tumbling Gomez.

Sadly, there have always been bad tackles in football. And the growing acceptance of what some laugh off as the early "reducer" - clumsy code for a hefty challenge usually inflicted on the opposition's most gifted player - is crass.

So is the Premier League too dirty or any dirtier than in the past? Not in my opinion. Is there a problem of growing recklessness from players without thought for what might result from rash tackles? Definitely.

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/10/football-blogs/what-next-for-andrew-johnson?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ffc_everton_blogs+%28FFC_Everton_Blogs%29
WHAT NEXT FOR ANDREW JOHNSON?

One door has temporarily closed for an England striker at Craven Cottage but another one may just have opened. Bobby Zamora, who earned his first England cap in August, is set for a further four months on the treatment table as he recovers from a broken leg sustained in a home tie against Wolves. Yet Fulham fans' fears will be partially assuaged by the imminent return of a striker who has previously featured for the Three Lions and was largely absent last year. Andy Johnson returned to first team training late last month after being sidelined with a knee injury since January. With the Cottagers currently without the services of Zamora and summer signing Moussa Dembele, there may be scant time for Johnson to adjust back to the rigours of Premier League football.

Fulham have named a Johnson on the team sheet in recent matches. On closer inspection this of course has been Eddie Johnson, the American forward signed for £3 million in 2008. He had not started a league game since March 2008 before being forced into the limelight once again. The other Johnson's return will come as a welcome but necessary boost to the club and its supporters. Signed by the west Londoners for £10.5 million in 2008, the former Everton man has endured torrid luck with injuries. His troublesome knee has been operated on by the world renowned Dr Richard Steadman. Mark Hughes has outlined the efforts to get the forward back to fitness. "Andy is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches, behind closed doors, organised for his benefit in the coming weeks." Their aim is to ready Johnson for a return after the international break, though he may be utilised cautiously at first.

Fulham fans may have forgotten why their club paid such a copious fee for the 29-year old. Johnson began his career at St Andrews but shot up in the estimations and awareness of many whilst at Crystal Palace. The Bedford born attacker became a hero at Selhurst Park as he scored 32 times to help the south London side to gain promotion to the PL in 2004. The following season he was the top English marksman in the division, scoring 21 goals, only being outdone by Arsenal's Thierry Henry. His performances attracted the attention of Sven-Goran Eriksson who made him the first Palace player since Nigel Martyn to represent the national team.

The next season, however, the club dropped out of the top flight and despite initially staying loyal a second promotion was not secured, prompting Everton to swoop for him in 2006. His early form for the Toffees endeared him to the fans, scoring six in his first seven games and bagging an impressive brace in a derby win over Liverpool. The frighteningly quick and diminutive striker acquired a reputation for going to ground in the penalty area with the slightest of touches. This widespread impression spread across the referring fraternity who invariably dismissed the supposed frivolity of his appeals.

The recruitment of new forwards saw Johnson fall down the pecking order at Goodison Park, where he grew increasingly frustrated at watching from the bench. Everton begrudgingly accepted Fulham's generous offer. He scored his first Fulham goals at home to Wigan Athletic. His brace took him past the milestone of 100 league goals, a feat which was documented on his vest which he duly revealed with a lift of his shirt. It was not a celebration high on spontaneity but was indicative of his pride and emotion. His respectable tally of ten league goals helped the team secure a European place.

Due to injury the popular forward missed the opportunity to participate in those memorable European nights at Craven Cottage against the likes of Juventus. Having been sidelined for an important part of the club's history, Johnson will undoubtedly be keen to hit the ground running later this month. Hughes has stated that Eddie Johnson and Diomansy Kamara can shoulder the burden in the absence of Zamora. Judging by the latter's finishing at Upton Park last week, AJ's presence may be needed more than ever.

WhiteJC

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7506020
Murphy's Law
I have watched an interview where at last a well respected experienced professional footballer, in Danny Murphy, has come out in condemnation of the dangerous, violent, aggressive challenges that are becoming a problem in the game, and have recently resulted in several high profile incidents causing long term, career threatening injuries, to players.

We have had Henry of Wolves involved in a challenge that resulted in Bobby Zamora suffering a broken leg, and unbelievably did not result in action by the referee. Then the same player was 'red carded' for an horrific tackle on Geordie Gomez last week-end, fortunately Gomez escaped serious injury. This challenge did actually attract criticism from McCarthy his manager. There have been two incidents already this year firstly for Holland against the USA, and then against Newcastle on Saturday, where tackles by Nigel De Jong have resulted in opponents suffering broken legs. Mancini denies that De Jong is an over aggressive player.

Already this season Lee Cattermole has added to his lengthy list of Red cards for reckless challenges. There seems to be genuine cause for concern when the same players, the above is not an exhaustive list, just those most recently making the headlines, are repeatedly involved, are they unlucky, overly aggressive, reckless, or plain dirty.

Danny Murphy actually cites three PL clubs Blackburn, Wolves, and Stoke, and their respective managers, as guilty of hyping up players for a physical approach as the way to get results so much before the game, so that reckless challenges are more likely or inevitable. One is reminded of the old Jack Charlton adage, 'we can't play, but we can stop them that can'. I don't think there is much argument that messrs Allardyce, McCarthy and Pulis tend to subscribe to this point of view.

They would argue that 'to take them on at football would result in defeat'. As somebody brought up in a previous era of football where physical contact and aggression was encouraged and permitted more than today, I don`t think the modern game is dirty, but the problem is that at the pace at which the game is played now, a reckless, over aggressive, or dare I say dirty tackle, is almost certain to result in serious long term perhaps career threatening injury.

It is suggested that more retrospective decisions on incidents are taken, perhaps by a panel containing ex pros who know the game as well as the rules, unlike many referees. It has also been muted that perhaps the period of suspension imposed, as a result of a reckless tackle causing long term injury, should match the time the victim will be missing from the game.

I am surprised that in this age of litigation there are not civil actions taken for compensation for 'personal injury' and/or 'pain and suffering' due to assault by a reckless or dangerous tackle. It is also suggested in some quarters that the disciplinary performance of players should in the worst cases reflect on their clubs, who after all in general 'don't see it' (ring any bells), or refuse to admit the guilt of their players.

I wonder how Spurs fans feel about Danny Murphy's allegations, the seriousness of the situation, and what if anything should or can be done about it.

Written by Frank

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7506020#ixzz11qTr0r1M

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1318948/Stoke-City-refuse-accept-Fulham-star-Danny-Murphys-criticism.html?
We're no thugs! Stoke City refuse to accept Fulham star Danny Murphy's criticism

Stoke chairman Peter Coates has defended the club and manager Tony Pulis after Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy named them as one of three sides particularly guilty of making reckless tackles.

Murphy picked out Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves as the chief offenders for making 'ridiculous' and 'brainless' challenges and insisted that approach came from the teams' managers.

He said: 'You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more - the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves.

Accused: Stoke's Ryan Shawcross (right) goes in on Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey
'They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there is inevitably going to be problems.

'Every ship has a captain and that's the manager who is in charge.'

Potters chairman Coates insisted his side approached the game in the 'right spirit' and highlighted his side's position in mid-table in the Premier League's disciplinary lists.

Coates said: 'I am surprised by his comments. He himself is a very competitive player and maybe with hindsight he perhaps wishes he had said nothing, but there you are.

'We are a strong team, we are competitive, but we like to think we are fair and play the game in the right spirit. That's how it should be.

'If you look at the disciplinary league table this year, we are doing OK. We are sitting in 10th place and you will see in that league table some notable names below us and some red cards being shown to those notable names as well.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1318948/Stoke-City-refuse-accept-Fulham-star-Danny-Murphys-criticism.html?#ixzz11qUCTU22

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6434914/Coates-defends-Stoke-over-Murphy-claim?
Coates defends Stoke over Murphy claim

Stoke chairman Peter Coates has defended the Potters as a 'strong, competitive, but fair' team in the wake of recent comments by Danny Murphy.

Murphy picked out Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves as the chief offenders for making "ridiculous" and "brainless" challenges and insisted that approach came from the teams' managers.

The Fulham midfielder said: "You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more - the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves.

However, Potters chairman Coates insists his side approach the game in the "right spirit" and highlighted his side's position in mid-table in the Premier League's disciplinary lists.

Coates told Stoke's official website: "I am surprised by his comments. He himself is a very competitive player and maybe with hindsight he perhaps wishes he had said nothing, but there you are.

"We are a strong team, we are competitive, but we like to think we are fair and play the game in the right spirit. That's how it should be.

"If you look at the disciplinary league table this year, we are doing okay. We are sitting in 10th place and you will see in that league table some notable names below us and some red cards being shown to those notable names as well."

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/10/8/1738815/cottagers-daily-rumor-mill-are-fulham-tracking-a-young-swedish?
Cottagers Daily Rumor Mill: Are Fulham Tracking A Young Swedish Defender?

The transfer rumors are starting to heat up for Fulham. According to talksport.co.uk, Fulham are keeping tabs on Swedish defender Behrang Safari. He is 25 years old and currently plays for Basel. He has played for his current club since 2008. His first senior club was Malmo FF in Sweden. He played for that team from 2004-2008.

The article mentions that Safari could go to another team in the January transfer window for about £2.5m. I will be following this speculation, and will have an update when more information is available.   

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3321088,00.html?
Smalling gives England advantage
Smalling's goal gives England slight edge in play-off

Stuart Pearce breathed a sigh of relief after Chris Smalling opened his account for England Under-21's to give them the advantage in the first-leg of their European Championship qualifying play-off.

A sweet volley from Jordan Henderson gave England the lead just after the hour mark, but a deflection off Ryan Bertrand saw Romania back in the game.

But Smalling was on hand to ease England nerves as he converted from close range following substitute Daniel Sturrdige's flick on.

The win means England will take a slender advantage to Romania as they battle it out for a place in the European Championship.

It remains to be seen, though, whether Arsenalyoungster Jack Wilshere, who will again have caught the eye of watching England manager Fabio Capello, is to be involved in the second leg after also being included in the seniors' squad for their forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro at Wembley on Tuesday night.

Pearce had warned Romania would be no pushovers, having won their group in impressive fashion, and so it proved.

Warning

The visitors were not just content to sit back as Dinamo Bucharest youngster Marius Alexe, a reported target for Chelsea, looked lively in attack while Gabriel Torje struck the post a minute before the interval.

There was an early yellow card issued by Italian referee Paolo Tagliavento for Romania defender Stefan Barboianu as he went through the back of Tom Cleverley, on loan at Wigan from Manchester United.
England created the first decent opening inside four minutes.

Full-back Bertrand - on loan at Nottingham Forest from Chelsea and who had a spell with Norwich during 2008-09 - got away down the left, before whipping a dangerous ball into the penalty area.

Goalkeeper Silviu Lung punched clear, only for the ball to drop right to Henderson some 25 yards out, and the Sunderland midfielder's first-time volley was acrobatically turned away by the Romania No.1.

England keeper Frank Fielding got down quickly to make a smart save as Eric Bicfalvi cut into the left side of the area and drilled a low shot back across the face of goal.

There were shouts for a penalty when Tottenham's Danny Rose burst into the Romania box and tumbled as he ran across Cornel Rapa, but the referee was right on top of the action and waved play on.

The referee turned down what this time looked a strong penalty shout as Rose was barged over by Valerica Gaman, much to the frustration of the sell-out Carrow Road crowd of 25,750.

Romania almost snatched the lead on the stroke of half-time when Torje hit the base of the near post after another swift counter-attack.

Captain Michael Mancienne, spending another season on loan at Wolves from Chelsea, drilled a low shot in from 25 yards, which was deflected around the post.

Henderson
From the resulting corner, England took the lead after 61 minutes.

Lung again punched clear, rather than attempting to catch. The ball fell to Henderson once more and this time, the midfielder's volley flew back into the bottom corner, under the arms of the Romania keeper.

Carrow Road erupted, but in the dugout, Pearce remained unmoved.

England pressed for a second, with Wilshere powering his way into the left side of the penalty area and drilling a shot at Lung, which this time the Romania keeper held on to.

It was the visitors, though, who snatched a crucial away goal on 70 minutes.

A quick break and a neat exchange around the England area saw the ball worked out to Ioan Hora on the right, with his low centre spinning off Bertrand and inside the near post past a wrong-footed Fielding.

Pearce immediately made a change as he replaced Cleverley with Aston Villa's Marc Albrighton and then introduced Sturridge for Welbeck with 10 minutes left.

It proved an inspired tactical switch as Sturridge headed back a corner at the far post into a crowded six-yard box, which Wilshere flicked on and Smalling crashed in to give England a lead to defend in Botosani on Tuesday.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1319024/Mark-Hughes-Exclusive-I-compromised-values-Manchester-City--wont-happen-again.html?
Mark Hughes Exclusive: I compromised my own values at Manchester City...it won't happen again

Anyone who watched Mark Hughes clobber opponents in the name of Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona and Bayern Munich would not have expected him to go quietly.

It's New Year's Eve in Babbo, a stylish Tuscan restaurant in the heart of London. Hughes reluctantly croaks out a few words, before returning to our table and handing over the cabaret act to the main event: his assistant manager Mark Bowen.
A rousing rendition of Glen Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy brings the house down and, this time, Hughes is comfortable in the role of backing singer.

London boy: Mark Hughes is putting his stamp on Fulham
'Mark's the only Welshman who can't sing,' is how Bowen excuses his great friend at this private function — a leaving party for a job he didn't want to leave.

That night, Hughes was just recovering from the ignominy of being sacked by Manchester City 12 days before. He addresses that period here today for the first time.

He never did enjoy losing and has not had much practice at it. The decorated centre forward you can see on YouTube tells his own story in moving pictures; you just have to watch his scissor-kick volley for Wales against Spain in a World Cup qualifier in 1985.

Hughes the player was something else. Strong upper body, bulging thighs, Dalglish-size backside, especially useful for rolling tight markers. He mastered the art of volleying the ball and was a ferocious bully of a player.

There is no real modern-day equivalent, probably because modern-day officials would not allow one. Hughes the manager is different; more studious and deep-thinking, although there are glimpses of his old fury, such as when Stoke's Andy Wilkinson recently smashed into Fulham's Moussa Dembele with a reckless challenge.

Then, with injustice surging through his veins, we see the old Mark Hughes — El Toro (The Bull), as he was known in Spain, is reborn.

As we sit on the leather sofa inside his new office that looks across the expansive Fulham training ground in Surrey, few of his first-team squad would remember his playing days. He doesn't take the chance to remind them, because he never trains with them.

MARKED MEN
Mark Hughes picks the players he rates most effective in the Barclays Premier League ...
DIDIER DROGBA
Just an outstanding centre forward. Would you like to play against him?
CARLOS TEVEZ
Still the best signing Manchester City have made.
CESC FABREGAS
You can watch the way he plays the game all day. Hurts teams.
MICHAEL ESSIEN
Gives Chelsea an extra dimension now he is back. A real enforcer.
JOHN TERRY
I know him as a player, know him as a man and like both very much.
NEMANJA VIDIC
I love the way he plays the game. A winner, like Terry. We've got our own in Brede Hangeland.

'Danny Murphy would remember me, I kicked him a few times,' Hughes smiles.

'And I played with Damien Duff at Blackburn when we won promotion and the League Cup.

'But why would they want a grey-haired 46-year-old plodding around and getting in the way of training? No chance. Every session is checked, monitored and assessed.

'We look for trends. I would impact on the quality of those sessions. I don't train with them, ever.

'I remember Ron Atkinson used to play in the sessions at Manchester United when he was the manager. Rated himself as a player. It was funny, he called himself Manny Kaltz (the legendary West German defender).

'But the game has changed and moved on. I am forever grateful to Sir Alex Ferguson for picking me just about every week for Manchester United, but it was Germany where I really discovered that preparation is everything.

'They left nothing to chance at Bayern Munich. At Barcelona, I signed and that was it. Over to you.

'No house, no car, no help, no language. I suffered for it. It was a missed opportunity, but the platform to perform wasn't there. I moved on to Germany, where Bayern had player liaison officers, like we do in the Premier League now.

'Everything was geared to the athlete being ready for his job on match day. I brought those memories back with me.

That is how it should be. Not pampered, but prepared. We are not reinventing the wheel at Fulham, but my staff here are terrific; not only the people who have come with me, the guys I trust and respect, but the infrastructure that was already in place.

'People think "nice little Fulham", but this club is at the cutting edge of the modern game. Mark Taylor is head of sports medicine and exercise science and he's the most qualified of his type. Mark and his team can give you the extra one or two per cent that can make a difference on a Saturday afternoon.

'At City, I didn't realise how much we had to do until we got there. Here, I didn't need to change the staff because there is quality already. So they certainly don't need me getting in the way in training by trying to show I can still play. No way.

'We want quality every day; they don't need me going on some ego trip.'

It is an ego that must have been bruised by his experiences as the head of the house of fun at Manchester City, before being 'relieved of my duties', as he calls it.

For four months after his sacking he could not watch football. Saturday afternoons were a miserable experience.
'I hadn't been out of work in my life, ever,' he says.

He even took up skiing, to get him out of the country and away from the commiserations.

'Eventually, I understood it was a feeling of relief that it was over. I wasn't enjoying it there at the end. I had no bitterness, no regrets, but I was relieved to be away.

'It's good to be at a club now where I am not being pulled in different directions.'

He resists the chance to be specific — one of his sons is still employed by the club — but his final days at City remain a painful memory.

'I needed to engage people there and quickly and I probably didn't engage everyone quickly enough,' he recalls.

'If you don't take people with you, then they can start to work against you. 'How was I treated? Overall, do you mean? At times, I had support.

'At times, I needed support and I didn't get it. And then there were times when support that was there was withdrawn ... especially towards the end.

'Look, we'd drawn a lot of games — too many — but we were a team still forming. I knew there wasn't much time to get it right, because I sensed they were looking for an excuse to change it.

'The chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, turned up unannounced for a surprise visit and it was obvious they were going to sack me. Then we beat Arsenal 3-0 and Chelsea 2-1.

'It was only when we lost at Tottenham...well, they had been looking for that chance. I wasn't their man, I wasn't their appointment.'

So Hughes was a sitting duck, a role that doesn't suit him.

'Yes, I toed the party line more than I should. I compromised my own values more than I should. It won't happen again. I'll say this: it has made me a better manager.

'So it wasn't a missed opportunity, like when I went to Barcelona as a young player.'

He didn't compromise his views on the way the game should be played and while he doesn't mention City's defensive approach under successor Roberto Mancini it might not have been far from his mind when he said: 'I've played for clubs who attack — United, Chelsea, Barcelona.

'Attacking football is what I want to watch as a manager, it's what I want from my teams. It's easier to be destructive and get people behind the ball than to be constructive and creative.

'That's not the way I want my teams to play.'

Hughes is among the small group of British managers fortunate to be employed by clubs in the top half of the table.

Does he believe they are being badly treated by the obsession of directors to turn to foreigners?

'I'm not here to bang the drum for British managers. I read what Harry Redknapp said in the Daily Mail last week and I agree with his argument. Top clubs won't appoint British managers because we don't have trophies.

'I watch some of the teams in the Champions League, with managers who have won trophies, and I know I can set up a team to beat them.

'Competing in the Premier League is more difficult than winning trophies in plenty of countries abroad. Who is the better manager ... one of these Champions League guys with a trophy from Holland, France, Switzerland and places like that — or me, in this league, the hardest, most high profile league in the world?'

Mark Bowen, Eddie Niedzwiecki and Kevin Hitchcock — as well as his youngest son, Alex, a video profiler and analyst — have followed him to Craven Cottage.

'They are not with me because they are my mates. They are here because they can do the job. Together, we make teams better. Judge that.

'Look at Blackburn and Manchester City. Sometimes we do it quickly, other times it can take longer, but we improve teams.'

He says he is 'stimulated' by the challenge at Fulham, where he has replaced Roy Hodgson. Hughes will soon move into a new house just off the trendy King's Road and wants to experience London life, unlike in his Chelsea playing days when he lived among his team-mates in Surrey's commuter belt.

Players talk of 'enjoying' training under the command of Hughes and his staff and they are unbeaten in the Barclays Premier League during a steady start. Hughes is anxious not to undermine Hodgson's achievements, particularly last season, explaining: 'It would be very easy to take the sting out of their success and try to overlook what they all did in Europe and the Premier League. Why should we?

'This club is rightfully proud of that. I've worked with expectation all through my career as a player and a manager. My job is to manage that, take it on and look to finish in the top 10.

'That doesn't scare me. We've signed good players, such as Moussa Dembele and Carlos Salcido, who have made a difference. We know we have to be careful with money.

'I like to think we have always been careful with money. It was only when the new owners took over at City that everyone knew there was money to be made and the fees went up.'

Such as signing Brazil forward Robinho from Real Madrid for a British record transfer fee of £32.5million. Was it a mistake?

'Robbie,' he concedes, 'was the right player at the wrong time in the development of the club. He wasn't the only one who struggled with being at a club in transition.

'Some people don't react well to change.'

Hughes today is good company and more at ease than I have seen him before. He accepts he can be shy, but says management has taken him out of his comfort zone and he remains eager to develop and learn.

'I never really had to talk to big groups before I came into this job. As a player, I responded to the supporters. If they wanted aggression, I gave it to them. I was never one to court the media; I never had to.

'Other people had to try to raise their profile, I already had mine. Now this job challenges me. When you first have to address 18 hairy-****d footballers as a young manager, that teaches you about communication and sending out a message.

'Be clear with your instruction. Then you have to learn the game. Read, study, understand, work with your staff. Or else players will take one look at you and think, "These guys don't know what they are doing ... we've seen it done better".

'Having caps and trophies and medals doesn't get you very far. It might get you through the door when you start out as a manager, but then it soon unravels if you don't learn your job.'

He has, as you would expect, strong views on the issues currently dominating the game, such as the number of injuries this season. Fulham have been particularly damaged by the loss of their talisman Bobby Zamora with a broken leg, while Dembele might have been worse off than a damaged ankle.

Crocked: Mark Hughes start to the season at Fulham has suffered an early blow after the loss of Bobby Zamora to injury
'Generally, there are more serious injuries rather than more dangerous tackles,' Hughes explains.

'The reason is the impact of bigger, stronger, fitter athletes. There isn't the intimidation there was when I played, there isn't the dark arts. I liked to be in the thick of all of that.

'In the modern game, there are high-impact collisions causing maximum damage. A player who is not balanced when trying to ride a challenge can suffer a serious injury. One of my main strengths was resisting tackles, seeing them coming and riding a tackle.'

He has a gift for riding challenges, going back to the days when he would knock down obstacles, as well as opponents.

Once, the legendary German striker Uli Hoeness told Hughes he could be the first player in history to play two matches in one day, daring the young Bayern Munich striker to attempt the test of endurance (Hughes later found out that the Danish playmaker, Soren Lerby, had already done it).

On November 11, 1987, after Hughes had played for Wales when they lost 2-0 against Czechoslovakia in an afternoon Euro 88 qualifier in Prague, Hoeness — Bayern's general manager — hired a jet to fly the player back across the border.

He then personally drove him in his Porsche to play for Bayern Munich against Borussia Monchengladbach in an important German Cup tie.

'We flew over the ground and the match had kicked off,' Hughes recalls.

'I could see the players from the air. When we got there, Bayern were losing 2-1 ... then I came on as a substitute. We won 3-2 and I'd love to finish the story by saying I scored both goals and ran the game.

'But the truth is that Michael Rummenigge scored the goals and I hardly got a touch.'

Whatever his impact that night, it is typical of Hughes to finish up on the winning team. Fulham will enjoy that side to his character, Manchester City may still live to regret their loss.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1319024/Mark-Hughes-Exclusive-I-compromised-values-Manchester-City--wont-happen-again.html?#ixzz11qVeunEp

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/08/2157123/nottingham-forest-striker-robert-earnshaw-hits-back-at-danny
Nottingham Forest striker Robert Earnshaw hits back at Danny Murphy's claims that managers are to blame for horror tackles
Forward admits players can get 'carried away'

Nottingham Forest striker Robert Earnshaw is adamant managers are not to blame for the fierce tackles that have caused uproar during the Premier League season.

The tackling debate was raised yet again after Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa suffered a broken leg courtesy of a horror challenge by Manchester City midfielder Nigel De Jong.

Fulham captain Danny Murphy has spoken out about the recent tackles and insists the responsibility lies with the managers for instructing players to be physical.

However, the 29-year-old Forest striker refutes Murphy's claims and believes that the players must take blame for physical approaches.

Asked if he'd ever heard a manager tell a player to intentionally hurt an opponent, Earnshaw told talkSPORT: "No. I don't think that anyone really, even as a player, goes out to intentionally do that thing.

"Anytime you see a horrible tackle or someone break their leg, you want to look away and I think generally everybody's like that: managers, players.

"Once they're on the pitch and the atmosphere and everything I think [players] can get carried away and almost see red mist a little bit - I think that happens.

"Because all of a sudden something will happen [they] won't get a decision and they'll fly into a tackle. I don't think it's intentional, it's just a case of someone getting angry or frustrated."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6435563,00.html?
Hughes admits City struggle
Cottagers boss feels City troubles made him a 'better manager'

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has vowed never to compromise his own values again after a tough time at the helm of Manchester City.

Hughes, a former Wales international and boss, was dismissed as City chief last year after failing to deliver instant success to the club's cash-rich owners following their heavy investment.

Hughes, who replaced Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage this summer after spending several months out of the game, admits he felt relieved when his stint at Eastlands came to an end after often 'toeing the line' against his own instincts.

Relief

"It's good to be at a club now where I am not being pulled in different directions," Hughes told the Daily Mail.

"Eventually, I understood it was a feeling of relief that it was over (at City). I wasn't enjoying it there at the end. I had no bitterness, no regrets, but I was relieved to be away.

"How was I treated? At times, I had support. At times, I needed support and I didn't get it. And then there were times when support that was there was withdrawn...especially towards the end.

"I toed the party line more than I should. I compromised my own values more than I should. It won't happen again but I'll say this: it has made me a better manager."

Hughes, who was replaced at City by Italian coach Roberto Mancini, feels it is difficult for British bosses to make an impact in the Premier League, with club directors more inclined to turn to foreign managers.

"Top clubs won't appoint British managers because we don't have trophies," said Hughes.

"I watch some of the teams in the Champions League, with managers who have won trophies, and I know I can set up a team to beat them.

"Competing in the Premier League is more difficult than winning trophies in plenty of countries abroad. Who is the better manager...one of these Champions League guys with a trophy from Holland, France, Switzerland and places like that - or me, in this league, the hardest, most high-profile league in the world?"

Attack
While not mentioning City's defensive approach under successor Mancini, former centre-forward Hughes insists he prefers his men to adopt an attacking style in the manner of his playing days at Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona.

'I've played for clubs who attack," he said. "Attacking football is what I want to watch as a manager, it's what I want from my teams.

"It's easier to be destructive and get people behind the ball than to be constructive and creative.

"That's not the way I want my teams to play."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6435570,00.html?
Cottagers track Swedish duo
Safari and Noring on Hughes' winter wish list

Fulham could be set to make a double Swedish swoop, with Behrang Safari and Viktor Noring in their sights.

The Cottagers are reported to be piecing together their plans for the winter transfer window, with Mark Hughes keen to bolster his ranks.

FC Basel full-back Safari is among those on the Welshman's wish list, with the 25-year-old having been a Fulham target for some time.

Roy Hodgson attempted to take him to Craven Cottage last year, without success, but Basel vice-president Heusler Bernhand expects a second move to be made in January.

"They wanted to buy him last season and, from what I've heard, they are still interested," he told Expressen.

"They wanted to buy him before last season started, but we told them that we weren't interested in selling. That has now changed."

Safari's contract with the Swiss giants is set to expire in June 2011 and Basel are aware that they may need to cash in on the defender in the New Year if they are to avoid losing him for nothing.

Potential

Meanwhile, Fulham are also said to be tracking Trelleborg goalkeeper Noring.

The 19-year-old has been tipped for big things and his current employers accept that they will struggle to keep him in Sweden.
"Fulham have been studying Viktor. He will leave sooner or later," Trelleborg chairman Per-Anders Abrahamsson told Expressen.

Dutch giants Ajax are also monitoring Noring's progress and Abrahamsson expects the youngster to follow in the footsteps of former Trelleborg ace Andreas Isaksson in taking on a new challenge in one of Europe's top divisions.

"He will leave us, we know that. Just like Isaksson did," he added.

"We have a back-up if Viktor does leave us, but I don't want to speculate on when that might be."

HatterDon

Quote from: WhiteJC on October 09, 2010, 08:59:30 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/08/2157123/nottingham-forest-striker-robert-earnshaw-hits-back-at-danny
Nottingham Forest striker Robert Earnshaw hits back at Danny Murphy's claims that managers are to blame for horror tackles
Forward admits players can get 'carried away'

Nottingham Forest striker Robert Earnshaw is adamant managers are not to blame for the fierce tackles that have caused uproar during the Premier League season.

The tackling debate was raised yet again after Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa suffered a broken leg courtesy of a horror challenge by Manchester City midfielder Nigel De Jong.

Fulham captain Danny Murphy has spoken out about the recent tackles and insists the responsibility lies with the managers for instructing players to be physical.

However, the 29-year-old Forest striker refutes Murphy's claims and believes that the players must take blame for physical approaches.

Asked if he'd ever heard a manager tell a player to intentionally hurt an opponent, Earnshaw told talkSPORT: "No. I don't think that anyone really, even as a player, goes out to intentionally do that thing.

"Anytime you see a horrible tackle or someone break their leg, you want to look away and I think generally everybody's like that: managers, players.

"Once they're on the pitch and the atmosphere and everything I think [players] can get carried away and almost see red mist a little bit - I think that happens.

"Because all of a sudden something will happen [they] won't get a decision and they'll fly into a tackle. I don't think it's intentional, it's just a case of someone getting angry or frustrated."

THE ONLY THING EARNSHAW KNOWS ABOUT THE PREMIER LEAGUE IS THAT HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY IN IT

Stop criticizing a QUALITY player and move on down the league structure.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel