watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I know it is an away point ...

Started by FulhamKC, September 01, 2018, 04:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hovewhite

Really enjoyed the game,a great positive performance.
Mawson starting great,but we need now a settled back line for a run of games it's interesting Chambers being benched and also Bryan dropped,slav needs to get it sorted soon!

HV71

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 01, 2018, 05:39:08 PM
Sorry but it is ludicrous to say that we should win against Brighton, Burnley etc in our part of the league to stay comfortable. Brighton have a gREAT home record. Burnley finished high enough last season to get into Europe. I really think fans should try and be a bit more conservative and sensible when dishing out forecasts. We were second best today but went two up and Betts saved a Pen. We gained a really good point. Let's not pretend we are close to being as good as Burnley or Brighton yet. This was Mawsons first league game for goodness sake and we have a few players injured, notably Cairney.

Thought Odoi and Mac deserve a mention. While all the praise will go to others.

Great post 100% with you on this one. There is no room for arrogance in this league - it is highly competitive and there is very little right to ever claim that you 'should ' beat another team (which is especially true if you are newly promoted). We are on a huge learning curve - players , manager everyone. Brighton have a6 very good manager and did well last year. They have built on that and as Lighthouse says are very difficult to beat at home but are vulnerable away from the Amex. So please  can we be careful how we use the word 'should ' we may 'need ' to pick up points against various teams but ' should' win is far to above ourselves 9 we are not ,as yet,  Man City ) you only have to look at the results today   - should Huddersfield have got a draw at Everton and 'should' West Ham have beaten Wolves. Clearly football is not that simple and to suggest otherwise demonstrates rather a simple mind

filham

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 01, 2018, 05:32:20 PM
Quote from: Ordar on September 01, 2018, 05:23:16 PM
We are giving possession away pretty regularly in dangerous positions, which is a worry. Also we never seem to have fullbacks in position when we lose the ball in transition. Both the first goal today and the Burnley goal, the fullback was nowhere to be seen. Maybe we should play them a bit more defensively

We play the ball out of the back. When the ball is given up while doing this, the ball is always given away in a dangerous position. We're going to keep seeing these mistakes.
If we keep giving the ball away in our third of the pitch like we did today then the top six teams will murder us.

Facts Not Fiction

Our performance was nothing special, we were lucky to come away with a point.

Being 2-0 though will always be disappointing. 2 avoidable errors again.

elgreenio

created 2 chances and scored 2 goals.

You look at the international break now and Slav will have his whole defence available to him (unless i'm forgetting something) to work on everything and settling on a first choice 4.

Defensively we weren't torn apart, the goals came from individual mistakes. I'd much prefer conceded goals to come that way instead of us looking in complete disarray as a whole defensively, wouldnt you say?
touch my camera through the fence

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: filham on September 01, 2018, 07:14:35 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 01, 2018, 05:32:20 PM
Quote from: Ordar on September 01, 2018, 05:23:16 PM
We are giving possession away pretty regularly in dangerous positions, which is a worry. Also we never seem to have fullbacks in position when we lose the ball in transition. Both the first goal today and the Burnley goal, the fullback was nowhere to be seen. Maybe we should play them a bit more defensively

We play the ball out of the back. When the ball is given up while doing this, the ball is always given away in a dangerous position. We're going to keep seeing these mistakes.
If we keep giving the ball away in our third of the pitch like we did today then the top six teams will murder us.

We aren't a top 6 side, so of course they will punish us when we make mistakes playing the way we do. That's football.

Facts Not Fiction

I think we should stick with a defence of Fosu-Mensah, Odoi, Mawson and Bryan for the next few games.

We'll never sort out the defence until there is some consistency.

Jem

Quote from: HV71 on September 01, 2018, 06:54:17 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on September 01, 2018, 05:39:08 PM
Sorry but it is ludicrous to say that we should win against Brighton, Burnley etc in our part of the league to stay comfortable. Brighton have a gREAT home record. Burnley finished high enough last season to get into Europe. I really think fans should try and be a bit more conservative and sensible when dishing out forecasts. We were second best today but went two up and Betts saved a Pen. We gained a really good point. Let's not pretend we are close to being as good as Burnley or Brighton yet. This was Mawsons first league game for goodness sake and we have a few players injured, notably Cairney.

Thought Odoi and Mac deserve a mention. While all the praise will go to others.

Great post 100% with you on this one. There is no room for arrogance in this league - it is highly competitive and there is very little right to ever claim that you 'should ' beat another team (which is especially true if you are newly promoted). We are on a huge learning curve - players , manager everyone. Brighton have a6 very good manager and did well last year. They have built on that and as Lighthouse says are very difficult to beat at home but are vulnerable away from the Amex. So please  can we be careful how we use the word 'should ' we may 'need ' to pick up points against various teams but ' should' win is far to above ourselves 9 we are not ,as yet,  Man City ) you only have to look at the results today   - should Huddersfield have got a draw at Everton and 'should' West Ham have beaten Wolves. Clearly football is not that simple and to suggest otherwise demonstrates rather a simple mind
I cannot disagree with either of these posts.Brighton are a good side and we did well. Still early days yet.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Southcoastffc

Quote from: hovewhite on September 01, 2018, 06:05:43 PM
Really enjoyed the game,a great positive performance.
Mawson starting great,but we need now a settled back line for a run of games it's interesting Chambers being benched and also Bryan dropped,slav needs to get it sorted soon!
Surely, Bryan was on the bench only because of his injury last week?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

F.luke

Bit disappointed in our speed and tenacity Brighton were far superior chasing everyth8ng and closing us down. Still a points a point away from home in this league.

Jury,s out on Mensa doesn't show enough effort for me once when he lost the ball only jogged back and Zambo looked knackered late on

KH17

Think I agree with the majority of the posters that we can be happy right now with a point away at Brighton, just like a lot of teams below the top 6 will be happy with a draw when they come to the cottage.

However if memory serves me the last time we dropped a 2 mil lead was QPR and those two extra points  would have given us automatic promotion come the end of the season. Different circumstances sure but shows the value of being able to close games from similar positions.

Wouldn't say it's panic mode and for sure mistakes cost us not skill or desire, but if this was 2 points dropped in February we'd be a lot more upset. Every point is valuable at this point, let's just hope come the final weeks of the season it's not every 3 points is needed

HV71

Of course it is disappointing -  but not too much at this sage. If we do the same thing when we have an established centre back pairing then I will be concerned. As of this moment we haven't got the benefit of an established defenc - it is no ones's Fault it's just the way the cards have been dealt.

Milo

The first goal was a carbon copy of the goal V Burnley - MLM giving the ball away cheaply. We need to cut these gifts out of our overall game.

But lots to positive about - Seri's chip for Schurrle was Barca esque!

Rodshig

Thoughts watching the game and the past few games as well.

Betts - looks more assuring than Fabri with the high balls in the box. Good performances thus far

Fosu mensa - not entirely convinced by him. Not an effective outlet going forward. Would prefer christie for his pace. Caught out of position a couple of times

Mawson - looked alright and composed.. Slav will pick him

Odoi- Slav sees something in him. Definately not my 1st choice. He will perform alright as a stand in but never good enuf to be 1st choice for me.

MLM - should never play at LB again. Had a horrible outing today. Look lost going forward. definately better at CB

Seri- our most creative player till date. Bravo

K Mac - do not look out of depth in the premier league. Man city will be a another test.

Zambo- a bit worrying. Look very ordinary,  Abit like dickson Etthu. Would prefer him to be more composing and boss the midfield.passes going astray.  Hopefully he will improve, if not he could be one of the biggest flop of the transfer window given his huge price tag.

Schurrle - moments of brillance. Still feel he is unable to last the full 90 mins.but he is our best winger

Vietto- in and out of the games. Some nice touches and runs.yet he is capable of misplacing them as well. Will stick with him.

Mitro - was not in the game today. Scored a goal, thats what all stikers all paid to do.

R sess - think its the right decision to start him on the bench. Have not been on form for awhile.

FFC NY

Quote from: Rodshig on September 02, 2018, 01:19:48 AM
Thoughts watching the game and the past few games as well.

Betts - looks more assuring than Fabri with the high balls in the box. Good performances thus far

Fosu mensa - not entirely convinced by him. Not an effective outlet going forward. Would prefer christie for his pace. Caught out of position a couple of times

Mawson - looked alright and composed.. Slav will pick him

Odoi- Slav sees something in him. Definately not my 1st choice. He will perform alright as a stand in but never good enuf to be 1st choice for me.

MLM - should never play at LB again. Had a horrible outing today. Look lost going forward. definately better at CB

Seri- our most creative player till date. Bravo

K Mac - do not look out of depth in the premier league. Man city will be a another test.

Zambo- a bit worrying. Look very ordinary,  Abit like dickson Etthu. Would prefer him to be more composing and boss the midfield.passes going astray.  Hopefully he will improve, if not he could be one of the biggest flop of the transfer window given his huge price tag.

Schurrle - moments of brillance. Still feel he is unable to last the full 90 mins.but he is our best winger

Vietto- in and out of the games. Some nice touches and runs.yet he is capable of misplacing them as well. Will stick with him.

Mitro - was not in the game today. Scored a goal, thats what all stikers all paid to do.

R sess - think its the right decision to start him on the bench. Have not been on form for awhile.

For me what Odoi brings is that ability to relieve pressure when we are being pressed by beating a man and making a strong forward run and quickly turning defense into attack - he did this several times today and it's something Ream is superb at. Mawson looked solid defensively but hopeful he is capable of this too

Rambler

I've seen enough of MLM to say he needs benching for the next game plus Odoi.

2 dreadful mistakes to gift two goals is enough.
Bryan in,
Chambers/Ream in

I Ronic

Surrendering a two goal lead will be a great starting point on the training ground leading up to the Man City game in two weeks. An away point for us and Brighton dropping two valuable home points is a plus. Although it's a bit early to start looking at the table, there are teams below us who already look like they are going to struggle up to Christmas and maybe beyond, another plus.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Rodshig on September 02, 2018, 01:19:48 AM

Well, one or two have already pointed pout that Denis was our best defender today. This view was endorsed on the live commentary on radio - they said exactly the same and were full of praise for him. But different views are ok, we can't all agree - but from what I hear of today, and from the performance in the Burnley game, he is deservedly first choice at the moment, and is continuing his good form from last season.

New Kid on the Block

Odoi hasn't put a foot wrong so far. What's he got to do to get our love? I'm not impressed with Zambo, I think StefJo should start the next match, until Zambo gets up to speed. Put Bryan at LB, and MLM back to CB. I'd give Christie another run out, as I thought he was no worse than FM, in that position. I suppose the best back four would be Christie, Mawson, Ream and Bryan, although it would be extremely harsh on Odoi and MLM, who have both been playing well. Both should definitely be on the bench though.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: F.luke on September 01, 2018, 09:29:05 PM
Bit disappointed in our speed and tenacity Brighton were far superior chasing everyth8ng and closing us down. Still a points a point away from home in this league.

Jury,s out on Mensa doesn't show enough effort for me once when he lost the ball only jogged back and Zambo looked knackered late on
To be fair...you must have missed the one play where Timbo tracked back full speed to play the ball out.

Only Kyle Walker is faster than him. Zaha  isn't even faster than him. He's still young and still learning the RB  position on his 3rd team in 3 years.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk