https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-For the older supporters

Started by bog, September 07, 2018, 08:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Quote from: cmg on September 08, 2018, 06:56:30 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on September 08, 2018, 03:37:06 PM
Graham Leggat was my favourite when I was a lad and still my number 1 Fulham player.

Having read about Vic Buckingham in recent times he should have been a good choice for us as manager looking at his pedigree but in reality he ruined us as a team.

Strange bloke, Buckingham. His ideas were pretty advanced, but were not suitable for English football at that time. He never ceased to remind people that he 'discovered' Johan Cruyff - he was certainly manager of Ajax when Cruyff started as a youth player. He was quite well regarded at Barcelona, but a disaster elsewhere.
Our top scorers in his first three seasons were Marsh then Leggat and then Clarke. Buckingham sold them all. (Although, to be fair, he did buy Clarke in the first place and coudn't really do much to prevent his departure.)

Ironically we actually had a bloody good manager in Bedford Jezzard, but the directors' decision to sell Mullery without informing anyone else not only cost us one of the best young talents but also one of our most successful managers.

Buckingham did arrive with a good CV but he was hopeless with us. It was Dave Sexton who arrived as coach saved us one season. Sadly he left at the end of it. 

The sad thing about Bedford Jezzard was that the day he left the club was the last time he was ever there. He never once came back.

As an aside my eldest daughter, a few years back now, in the line of her job told me she was talking to an elderly lady on the phone. For some reason football came up and my daughter mentioned she and her family were Fulham fans. This lady said her brother used to play for them.... My daughter 'Dad do you remember a player called Bedford Jezzad Dad?'

092.gif

cmg

Quote from: bog on September 09, 2018, 05:10:59 PM

The sad thing about Bedford Jezzard was that the day he left the club was the last time he was ever there. He never once came back.

Pity. He obviously felt rightly aggrieved.
It's not that he moved far away. He ran the Thatched House, halfway up Dalling Road, for some years.

bog

That's right cmg. I wonder if the club just forgot him, if so a disgrace.

092.gif