watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Betts gets England cap

Started by HamsterWheel, September 04, 2018, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

pleased for the callup, but a callup ain't a cap. I doubt he'll get one this time out, and I don't think anything other than a massive drop in form can pry the gloves from Pickford in the next 10 years, but good recognition for the difference he's made for Fulham this season.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Stoneleigh Loyalist

the nutflush

Twig

Totally deserved. Betts has been our best keeper for a long time and remains our best until I see someone capable of taking over as our number one (and as yet I haven't).

So very pleased for him and as others have reminded us, he's one of our own.

WokingFFC

Superb news - well done Betts. Recognition for all your hard work and determination.  077.gif  :wow:

cookieg

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on September 05, 2018, 09:15:08 AM
Pickford is injured!

I did think that one of the keepers must be injured but haven't seen anything anywhere.

I Ronic

Quote from: Twig on September 05, 2018, 02:53:45 PM
Totally deserved. Betts has been our best keeper for a long time and remains our best until I see someone capable of taking over as our number one (and as yet I haven't).

I'm pleased for him as well but to be fair to Rico and Fabri. None of our goalkeepers have any experience in the  Premiership. Slav sees far more of them than you or I and picks accordingly. The one thing we do know about Betts is he sticks in there and doesn't give up. Which maybe true of Fab and Rico too. What is certain is we have a trio of good keepers who will fight to keep us in this league.

Facts Not Fiction

You saw Fabri for 2 games. Rico for 1. Both wouldn't have been brought in if Bettinelli was 100% capable.

General

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on September 04, 2018, 10:40:06 PM
I say good luck to Betts but at the same time I find this amusing.
At the end of last season when questioned Gareth Southgate said that they were keeping an eye on Betts but they would not select a keeper who did not have Premiershp experience.
Two games later!!

They obviously see a lot of potential in him and he does have all the attributes needed to succeed and time on his side.. that being said though there's a lot of competition for the number one jersey and whilst no keeper has made it their own.. i wouldn't put him above the likes of pickford for instance. That said he probably is the most rounded keeper in terms of approach and academic all round ability due to his dad's influence and with his height and ability if fine tuned and encouraged perhaps one day he could go to a tournament at least.

Would be quite something to see us have three players in an England squad at a tournament.. aided by the fact slavisas style is similar to the one Southgate wants to play.. I also think schurrle could make his way back into the reckoning for the Germany squad if he continued to play this way.. when was the last time we had a German international on our books?

Jamie88

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on September 05, 2018, 11:23:12 PM

You saw Fabri for 2 games. Rico for 1. Both wouldn't have been brought in if Bettinelli was 100% capable.

You reaallllly hate Betts don't you?! Only time I ever see you post is to big up Fabri and Rico and say Betts is useless!

Woolly Mammoth

Betts in my opinion is better at the moment than the other two keepers and safer.
Coincidentally so does Slavisa.
He deserves to be called up to the England squad in the same way that he deserves to be Fulhams number one.
I remember how much it meant to him when the final whistle blew in the play off final, after keeping another clean sheet, and secured our place in the Premier League once again, and he is one of our own.
Never forget your roots.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

aaronmcguigan

A championship standard keeper was sold and two academy keepers were loaned out.
What makes you think whether or not Betts is 100% capable that Fulham wouldn't sign some competition for the #1 spot, like they have for every other position.  Rico and Fabri are fantastic competition and 3 top level keepers pushing each other can only help us.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 06, 2018, 09:45:26 AM
Betts in my opinion is better at the moment than the other two keepers and safer.
He deserves to be called up to the England squad in the same way that he deserves to be Fulhams number one.
I remember how much it meant to him when the final whistle blew in the play off final, after keeping another clean sheet, and secured our place in the Premier League once again, and he is one of our own.
Never forget your roots.

This is where people seem to ending going. It always leads back to his passion for the club. Yes, he does care, but how can you say he's safer then Fabri? Fabri has made considerably more saves, and his distribution is statistically better.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Jamie88 on September 06, 2018, 09:34:07 AM

You reaallllly hate Betts don't you?! Only time I ever see you post is to big up Fabri and Rico and say Betts is useless!

Please show me where I called him useless?

My opinion is that Fabri and Rico are steps up for Bettinelli, who is a decent keeper, but we can do better.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on September 06, 2018, 11:17:56 AM
Never forget your roots.

This is where people seem to ending going. It always leads back to his passion for the club. Yes, he does care, but how can you say he's safer then Fabri? Fabri has made considerably more saves, and his distribution is statistically better.

Passion is part and partial of competive sport, it's an important ingredient in the process of becoming a success.
I hope he is there to stay in goal as our number one.
I have empathy with him.
It appears Slavisa has decided he is currently first choice.
Having Rico and Fabri on the books will create a healthy competition for places.
Whoever is in goal will most certainly be kept on their toes.

Never forget your Roots.

FulhamElite

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 06, 2018, 12:08:46 PM
Never forget your roots.

Passion is part and partial of competive sport, it's an important ingredient in the process of becoming a success.
I have empathy with him.
Having Rico and Fabri on the books will create a healthy competition for places.

There's also the fact that Betts can speak English, which most of our back line speak. No doubt being able to commicate with the defence has benefitted him. On a slight tangent, I would be surprised if we kept all 3 keepers. I don't see why Rico or his parent club would accept a whole season of being 3rd choice when he can do that back in Spain.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FulhamElite on September 06, 2018, 02:02:05 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 06, 2018, 12:08:46 PM
Never forget your roots.

I have empathy with him.

There's also the fact that Betts can speak English, which most of our back line speak. No doubt being able to commicate with the defence has benefitted him. On a slight tangent, I would be surprised if we kept all 3 keepers. I don't see why Rico or his parent club would accept a whole season of being 3rd choice when he can do that back in Spain.

Speaking English is a massive advantage for a Goalkeeper in England, in fact it is essential, and Rico can return home to Spain if he or his parent club are not happy, with my blessing.

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Exactly that's why I said "until I see someone capable of taking over (and as yet I haven't)".  If Ricoh or even Fabri turn out to be better keepers then good luck to them.  You have previously made extravagant claims that they are both better, you seem to have based this on their past experience. I prefer the evidence of what I see and as yet neither have shown anything to suggest they can overtake Betts, but I agree it might happen. We will have to wait and see but in the meantime Betts remains my preferred choice.

General

It's not technically a cap unless he plays a game though right?

cmg

It's not a cap in any way, shape or form unlesss he actually steps onto the pitch during the course of an international match.

("call" rather than "cap" might have fitted better in the title of the thread. But if the cap fits....)