News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Murphy Supporters v Murphy Haters (so far)

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, October 08, 2010, 01:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Supporters:

Arsene Wenger (obviously)
Dario Gradi http://www.crewealex.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10414~2178645,00.html?
FIFA Doctor guy http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=830727&sec=england&cc=5739
Fulham Fans
Arsenal Fans

Haters:

Danny Mills
Dave Bassett
Real Allardyce
Tony 'he is not that kind of player' Pulis
Mick 'he's got the whole world in his nose' McCarthy
Anyone who supports the teams in question
Man Utd

Interesting. Which group would you rather be a part of?

(can we update this as the list grows?)

Burt

Supporter.

He did put the ball in the Pompey net after all.

Or are you on about the beer?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Burt on October 08, 2010, 01:44:49 PM
Supporter.

He did put the ball in the Pompey net after all.

Or are you on about the beer?

Burt, you are covered under 'Fulham fans'

HatterDon

AFC, I can't believe you left out ManUre on the hater's list. By my count, Papa Murph has hit the winning goal against them 5 times, including once for The Mighty Whites.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on October 08, 2010, 03:07:13 PM
AFC, I can't believe you left out ManUre on the hater's list. By my count, Papa Murph has hit the winning goal against them 5 times, including once for The Mighty Whites.

Amended

bog

Peabody

Of course I am in the Danny Murphy camp but I do beleive we have to be careful not to take the passion out of the game and tackling is an essential part of football. However, the Diof assault on MS does not do anything for football. Who remembers the blatant cheating by Pederson (another Blackburn player) at Arsenal, when he went down for a penalty with no one near him. So arise Sir Sam, you win this league by a mile.

SmithyFFC

100% agree with what Danny's said.

Stoke, Blackburn, Wolves, McCarthey, Allardyce and Pulis- all utter thugs.
FTID

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Peabody on October 08, 2010, 04:10:34 PM
Of course I am in the Danny Murphy camp but I do beleive we have to be careful not to take the passion out of the game and tackling is an essential part of football. However, the Diof assault on MS does not do anything for football. Who remembers the blatant cheating by Pederson (another Blackburn player) at Arsenal, when he went down for a penalty with no one near him. So arise Sir Sam, you win this league by a mile.

I would say that football is pretty passionate in Europe where these kind of tackles are roundly condemned.

In James Richardson's weekly review of the European papers (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2010/oct/08/james-richardson-papers-video) he points out the outrage of ALL the countries in Europe at the Ben Arfa tackle and most mock the English game as being brutish. From what I have seen so far this season, I am inclined to agree....

Chopper

I've moaned about Arsenal's (and Arsene's) inability to cope with "proper British football" in the past but I'm 100% with Danny on this.

Too many teams getting by with little talent but a lot of aggression. They ask why we can't compete with Spain or Brazil well it's all there. Time to stamp it out - metaphorically.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11672_6434587,00.html

Davies defends aggressive style

Front man speaks out after Murphy comments on tackling

By Elliot Ball   

Last updated: 8th October 2010   

Bolton striker Kevin Davies has defended his aggressive style of play following recent claims from Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy.

Wanderers' newest England call-up was speaking at the Three Lions' hotel ahead of their Euro 2012 clash with Montenegro on Tuesday and the 33-year-old has responded to comments from Murphy that some players are guilty of 'brainless tackles'.

The Cottagers captain has sparked a widespread debate on the current spate of dangerous challenges in the Premier League after accusing managers of Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves of not controlling their players.

Davies accepts that some of the recent tackles in the top flight, of which team-mate Paul Robinson's lunge on Arsenal's Abou Diaby last month could be included, have been 'tasty'.

But the Trotters front man insists he has never been told by a club boss to be overzealous in his physical approach to the game.

Too honest
The former Blackburn marksman said: "I haven't seen the comments but there is a lot going around at the minute and there has been a couple of bad injuries which is not nice to see.

"I can only say about my team and personally I have always been labelled with the aggressive side of it.

"I have picked up a few yellow cards which is fair enough but in terms of red cards there has been nothing for me in years.

"In terms of players at Bolton, and the way we play the game, we never have played like that. We try to win the game in the best way we can, but no manager has ever said you are playing a certain side and you need to rough them up a bit.

"If anything our players are little bit too honest.

"I play the game a certain way and with the speed of the game today you are going to be a little bit out in a few tackles.

"I take a lot of hits myself but I don't complain about it. It's a part of the game I enjoy. The physical side is going out of football at the moment."

fulhamwannabe

what surprises me most is that when with liverpool he used to score quite a few goals from free quicks or from a distance,but the last couple of years,it seemed to have dried up? :031:

White Noise

Why cowardly Bert van Marwijk was wrong to drop Nigel de Jong after the Ben Arfa tackle

By Simon Mullock

Published 16:07 08/10/10

Recommend (3)
I wonder if Bert van Marwijk will be inviting the son-in-law around for Sunday lunch this weekend.

It's just that the Holland coach seems to have found a conscience in the aftermath of the Nigel de Jong tackle that left Hatem Ben Arfa with a double fracture of his leg.

"It was a wild and unnecessary offence. He (de Jong) went in much too hard," was van Marwijk's view on a challenge that referee Martin Atkinson felt didn't even warrant a free-kick from a position just five yards away from the clash.

Strange then that the Dutchman was so welcoming to a certain Mark van Bommel when his daughter Andrea decided to marry a player who was widely regarded as the man who turned Holland into a bunch of cloggers this summer.

So much so that he named him Holland's captain.

De Jong's kung-fu challenge on Spain's Xabi Alonso was an absolute shocker that would have brought a red card from referee Howard Webb had it been any other game apart from the World Cup Final.

But it was van Bommel who set the tone in South Africa as Holland swapped Total Football for Shock and Awe.

When Holland returned from the tournament they were criticised for bringing the nation into disrepute.

Apparently van Marwijk laid the blame squarely on the shoulders of de Jong, forgetting that seven other players joined the Manchester City midfielder in Webb's book - including van Bommel - and John Heitinga was sent off.

If van Marwijk had felt so strongly about de Jong's studs-up lunge into the chest of Alonso then perhaps he should have substituted him in the 28th minute in Soccer City.

Instead, he kept him on the pitch and then awarded him his 50th cap when Holland played Finland last month.

But Van Marwijk got his revenge this week when he explained that his decision to leave de Jong out of two Euro 2012 qualifiers was based on a tackle that took place in a game between City and Newcastle.

It was a cowardly thing for an international coach to do and it says everything about van Marwijk that he didn't tell de Jong to his face.

Opinion is split on whether de Jong should have been sent off for the challenge but many of those who have been quick to condemn him seem to be the kind of people who have never pulled on a pair of football boots in their lives.

Kevin Keegan and Nicky Butt were at Eastlands on Sunday and both of them have stronger connections to the Toon than City.

Neither man thought de Jong had transgressed.

About the strongest thing Newcastle boss Chris Hughton said was that the challenge was "unnecessary" although if Ben Arfa had skipped away from a half-hearted tackle and smashed the ball into the top corner you can be sure that Roberto Mancini would have been asking why de Jong didn't do the necessary.

No-one wants to see footballers suffer like Ben Arfa did last weekend.

But for those who like non-contact sport, please go and watch basketball.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/simon-mullock/Why-cowardly-Holland-coach-Bert-van-Marwijk-was-wrong-to-drop-Manchester-City-s-Nigel-de-Jong-after-the-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-tackle-Simon-Mullock-Column-article596493.html#ixzz11mwOMEb

fulhamwannabe

i think this is the first time ever,,,,,,,well done "father in law"  :54:
about time others follow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,our coach yesterday sacked a player who arrived late for training(boudebouz who plays in sochaux,he played against england in the world cup) and we desperately need this young wonderkid,but hey rules are made for everyone

MikeR

If my only choices are Supporter and Hater then I'll take Supporter. I think the issue has a bit more gray area than these black-and-white choices, though. (Hear me out before flaming...)

As long as the manager is compensated based solely on table position and not on fair play ranking, opponent's broken leg count (or lack thereof), public opinion, etc., then he's done nothing wrong by 'sending his team out to stop other teams playing'. He's simply manipulating a system of rules and enforcement to his team's (and by extension his own) advantage - precisely what he's being paid to do.

Those who feel the rules and/or enforcement are broken need to take this up with the FA, or better yet FIFA. Perhaps Danny was indirectly trying to do this, though, by addressing the Leaders in Football conference.
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

Fernhurst

Don't know where Danny gets his ideas from ........ :dft001:

Re: Another broken leg and unpunished
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 08:41:08 pm » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: epsomraver on October 03, 2010, 01:52:07 pm
Citee  v Newcastle game, Arfa, has there been a change in attitudes? are managers under so much pressure they are telling the players to get stuck in harder?

Most definitely Epsom ----- the pressure is such and the rewards so high we now have the battle of the bruisers!!!! McCarthy Alladyce and Pullis.... the terrible trio ---- put them together in a cage and let them sort each other out!

leonffc

AGAINST - Talksport's Darren 'I love Manure, Barnsley, Spurs, Alex Furguson and Alex Furguson and really should mind my own business on football matters' Gough and the other dick that has been on with him.

FOR - Normal people

os5889

Quote from: White Noise on October 08, 2010, 06:05:12 PM

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11672_6434587,00.html

Davies defends aggressive style

Front man speaks out after Murphy comments on tackling

By Elliot Ball   

Last updated: 8th October 2010   

Bolton striker Kevin Davies has defended his aggressive style of play following recent claims from Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy.

Wanderers' newest England call-up was speaking at the Three Lions' hotel ahead of their Euro 2012 clash with Montenegro on Tuesday and the 33-year-old has responded to comments from Murphy that some players are guilty of 'brainless tackles'.

The Cottagers captain has sparked a widespread debate on the current spate of dangerous challenges in the Premier League after accusing managers of Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves of not controlling their players.

Davies accepts that some of the recent tackles in the top flight, of which team-mate Paul Robinson's lunge on Arsenal's Abou Diaby last month could be included, have been 'tasty'.

But the Trotters front man insists he has never been told by a club boss to be overzealous in his physical approach to the game.

Too honest
The former Blackburn marksman said: "I haven't seen the comments but there is a lot going around at the minute and there has been a couple of bad injuries which is not nice to see.

"I can only say about my team and personally I have always been labelled with the aggressive side of it.

"I have picked up a few yellow cards which is fair enough but in terms of red cards there has been nothing for me in years.

"In terms of players at Bolton, and the way we play the game, we never have played like that. We try to win the game in the best way we can, but no manager has ever said you are playing a certain side and you need to rough them up a bit.

"If anything our players are little bit too honest.

"I play the game a certain way and with the speed of the game today you are going to be a little bit out in a few tackles.

"I take a lot of hits myself but I don't complain about it. It's a part of the game I enjoy. The physical side is going out of football at the moment."

Im sorry, Sky have jazzed up a really good interview with KD talking of his pride on an England call up,

KD has always been a battler and Id never label him dirty in a Mascherano De Jong way,

He's like Zamora the older and shorter in his application and style of play! Just keep swimming...

Travers Barney

Murphy is correct of course he is...sick and tired of the pathetic 'honest pro' would never go to hurt anyone' ' he's a lovely lad' over enthusiastic nonsense.

When Wilkinson walked down that tunnel after his his assault on Dembele he was grinning from ear to ear.

Radical approach is required be it point deduction for the Club or like for like penalty for the individual.

We are the whites.
We are the whites