watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Citeh and Our Very Poor Decision Making

Started by The Rock, September 15, 2018, 05:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock

Was it deer in the headlights? Lack of mental sharpness? Or just a bad day at the office?

Seri's gift of a pass for the first goal. Anguissa's woeful pass on the 4 v 4 break in the second half. Mac also had a picture perfect pass, to the Citeh midfielder. Odoi let alone 3 other players standing and deciding to not be bothered for the 3rd goal.

I know it's an away game for a newly formed side against the Champions, and they outclassed us, but we are much better than this.

Lighthouse

In the end I am pleased it was just a 3 goal defeat. If City didn't have Europe on their minds goodness knows what the score could have been. We looked a side who had come to look at the stadium and just never became involved in the game. A few long range efforts were all we could expect. Not happy with their second goal either. If we had scored it we would have been penalised for handball. But so outclassed and without any real inkling of how to make a game of it.

Not surprised by the scoreline just the line up and attitude. As if we really didn't fancy making a game of it at all. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

andyk

There's not much you can do about being out classed, we have to take that now and then.  But the City players did the basics better than us, much better. Closing down, chasing back, pressing the ball, not backing out of a 50/50 challenge.  You don't have to be world class to do those things, you just have to put in a bit of bloody effort.  Really disappointing from some of those players.  Sess was, at least, trying

Deeping_white

Thing that irks me is that Slav takes the team away and says they spent a week working on stuff but then decided to not use the actual left back and more athletic CDM against the best team in the country, and instead used players who went off on international duty and weren't part of this supposed planning. Also can we please not persist with Odoi any longer, I keep seeing comments around him not making any mistakes, and that's purely down to the fact he's not given the ball away or anything like MLM who's seeming turned into a scapegoat for some of the mods, yet Odoi has the worst positional sense of anyone in our defence, he just goes walkabout and leaves massive gaps which when you've not got world class full backs is a bit of an issue.

Not going overboard with the criticism because City are very good but there have been some weird tactical choices today which didn't really help us.

Bill2

Our passing was sloppy. Let alone the first goal it was poor for the entire game.

General

Suprised we started with mcdonald and Johansen in midfield who've hardly had any game time and we're put in against the top team in the league. Suprised Odoi was put in when the only obvious mistake MLM has had so far was when he was played out of position.

Know the championship you don't have to turn up for half  a season and tweak as you go and then get promoted but this is the premiership.

I think Slav got today wrong in all honesty.

Mince n Tatties

Giving away goals in the first minute of each half doesn't help.

filham

Five matches gone and we are still looking for a settled defense, suspect it may take until Christmas.
Bet Deeney and Gray of Watford are looking for a nice day out at the Cottage next week.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: General on September 15, 2018, 06:02:11 PM
Suprised we started with mcdonald and Johansen in midfield who've hardly had any game time and we're put in against the top team in the league. Suprised Odoi was put in when the only obvious mistake MLM has had so far was when he was played out of position.

Know the championship you don't have to turn up for half  a season and tweak as you go and then get promoted but this is the premiership.

With all due respect, Kmac has played the 3rd most amount of mins out of all our players only behind Seri and Mitro. So to say hes hardly played isnt correct. No need to be too worried we were always going to struggle today, but there are still plenty of teams worse than us.

HV71

I don't think this can, or will resolve itself, until Ream is match fit. Then the choices will be made. Cheer up filham we could still be in the Championship!

The Rock

Maybe Slav had written the game off already/experimenting and saving Anguissa, Bryan, Marchand, Fosu-Mensah, until TC came back for Watford? Seemed like it.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: The Rock on September 15, 2018, 08:05:40 PM

Maybe Slav had written the game off already/experimenting and saving Anguissa, Bryan, Marchand, Fosu-Mensah, until TC came back for Watford? Seemed like it.

I think Slav knew that even a draw would be difficult, so he tinkered more with the lines. He'll know soon enough what his starting 11 is, he did this with us the last 2 seasons as well. Tinker and then BOOM all the sudden it works

Milo

Disagree with those claiming Odoi's inclusion was a misjustice. MLM gave away two goals with sloppy passes while Odoi hadn't done much wrong in his games this season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the evidence before today's game backed up the team selection in central defence.

I think it's becoming more obvious that Ream and Mawson will become our first choice pairing .. and that the former's return from injury can't come soon enough!

cookieg

There's a lot of expectation on Ream for when he comes back. Let's hope he is given some time to get up to speed before the knives come out.

FulhamStu

Slav played as many of last seasons team as he could, not sure why, but seems a bit of a coincidence.  Seri had an off day but for me, setting up 4.3.3 as we normally do, exposed our full backs and City ripped us apart out wide.  Sess was given no protection and the ball inside the full back allowed Sterling to take advantage of all the space, Sess had no chance.     Very very strange by Slav.  He must have been the only person that thought that was our best team for today.   I know and reluctantly accept he will not change his style, but it's rather silly to think we can out play City.   Maybe he wanted the players to see how they play as this is the level he aspires too, I really can't work it out.

hovewhite

Quote from: cookieg on September 16, 2018, 07:40:03 AM
There's a lot of expectation on Ream for when he comes back. Let's hope he is given some time to get up to speed before the knives come out.
definitely keep the knives in the writing pockets for a few games please.

Facts Not Fiction

Jokanovic got it wrong today. He needs to find his best defence quickly.

bog

Twig

Quote from: Milo on September 15, 2018, 08:54:44 PM
Disagree with those claiming Odoi's inclusion was a misjustice. MLM gave away two goals with sloppy passes while Odoi hadn't done much wrong in his games this season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the evidence before today's game backed up the team selection in central defence.

I think it's becoming more obvious that Ream and Mawson will become our first choice pairing .. and that the former's return from injury can't come soon enough!

Agree with all of this 100%

Facts Not Fiction

Because Mawson favours the LCB role, that leaves Chambers and Odoi as his CB partner. MLM will have trouble coming in, if Mawson is to continue at LCB.

Odoi is doing alright, considering the huge step up.