watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Citeh and Our Very Poor Decision Making

Started by The Rock, September 15, 2018, 05:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

A bit different perspective being at the game, when you don't have as  good an overall view as on TV, but more of a sense  maybe, of the effort and commitment of the players - which I didn't think we lacked, though obviously shot ourselves in the foot with poor passing and defensive errors.

I thought we came into the game  more in the second half, and certainly kept going, creating opportunities,  though not having many actual shots on goal, right up to the final whistle.

The fans at the game certainly seemed to think the team gave their all, making a good noise all game, and cheering them off the field, with the players  coming over and showing their appreciation, especially Sess and  Betts, who both had  good games, I thought.

City looked more confident and more of a team than us,  while I think we aren't quite a team yet, with so many new players, and also   are probably overawed by teams like city, and giving away such  a cheap early goal certainly didn't help - like a kick in the  guts when the  game had hardly got going.

But we live to fightanother day.

COYW!!!

Twig

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on September 16, 2018, 10:06:08 AM
Because Mawson favours the LCB role, that leaves Chambers and Odoi as his CB partner. MLM will have trouble coming in, if Mawson is to continue at LCB.

Odoi is doing alright, considering the huge step up.

It's an interesting conundrum. I agree with you that Odoi is doing ok, but Mawson and Ream are probably our two most capable CB's. The challenge will be how we develop them as an effective partnership?

Bonzo the mad dog

I was as surprised as anyone with the choice made - particularly Christie and sess, but they both did ok under the circumstances.  The bigger problem was that we were overrun in midfield, too slow and could not keep possession.  With hindsight we could have played Frank from the start, and dropped Seri to the bench, which would have been brave.  Alternatively changed shape to put an extra man in midfield, which Slav is reluctant to do.  Overall it was an education against the best team in the country, and I think we can give them a decent challenge back at the Cottage.

Tabby

I think that Slav had a gameplan in mind, but that kind of goes out the window when they score in the first minute. Was always going to be a struggle after that.

Moving on to Watford.

HV71

Quote from: Twig on September 16, 2018, 11:00:45 AM
Because Mawson favours the LCB role, that leaves Chambers and Odoi as his CB partner. MLM will have trouble coming in, if Mawson is to continue at LCB.

It's an interesting conundrum. I agree with you that Odoi is doing ok, but Mawson and Ream are probably our two most capable CB's. The challenge will be how we develop them as an effective partnership?

As I understand. It Mawson does not necessarily favour the LCB role . He is right footed and played at LCB for Swansea in order to accomodate Kyle Naughton who is right footed and preferred that position

Whitesideup

Quote from: Milo on September 15, 2018, 08:54:44 PM
Disagree with those claiming Odoi's inclusion was a misjustice. MLM gave away two goals with sloppy passes while Odoi hadn't done much wrong in his games this season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the evidence before today's game backed up the team selection in central defence.

I think it's becoming more obvious that Ream and Mawson will become our first choice pairing .. and that the former's return from injury can't come soon enough!
+1  (for the first paragraph at least .. reserve judgement on the first choice pairing)

Forever Fulham

Ream and Odoi together against Man City and we'd still have most likely lost.  I have no illusions otherwise.  That team is a juggernaut.  Silly money can do that for you.  Having said that, I still believe Ream's absence is felt.  People say he doesn't have the foot speed to be a starting CB in the Prem.   I don't agree. John Terry, for instance, wasn't fast.  He had fast fullbacks around him.  And Odoi's got good wheels.  Ream's presence changes the way the team plays.  A CB who can possess the ball, not just boot it blindly up the pitch.  Who can lay smart passes up, one after another, to the right people and the right moment with the pace called for.  Like turning on your car and instantly putting your team on its way.  Throughout last season, he tinkered and adjusted--they all did--and went on a crazy unbeaten run of games.  Timing, spacing, playing smarts, anticipation--more important than simple footspeed.  You can only control the ball up to a point at full speed.  Tim is fast enough if he and his teammates are in synch with one another.  We hear he's still out over chronic back pain.  Hard to put a time table on the  spine.  Could be tomorrow, could be another two weeks. 

Twig

Quote from: HV71 on September 16, 2018, 01:04:02 PM
Quote from: Twig on September 16, 2018, 11:00:45 AM

As I understand. It Mawson does not necessarily favour the LCB role . He is right footed and played at LCB for Swansea in order to accomodate Kyle Naughton who is right footed and preferred that position

Ah ok. Thanks.