watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Deluded me.

Started by bog, September 16, 2018, 08:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Well I had obviously become seriously deluded when putting 2+2 together and thinking we would win. What did not help was the stupid first goal. Poncing about like that inside the opening two minutes. As we all know you do not give such a talented side a gift opportunity like that. What I do not especially like is when our opponent's win is described as being a 'routine victory'. Grrr.  :031:

092.gif

Fernhurst

Watched the whole game Captain and we were lucky not to get a severe walloping.
Very salient reminder just how far we still have to climb to be able give a top 6 side a game.

Still ........ onwards and upwards.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

SP

Was hoping for a draw until they announced our starting eleven.  Seven players from last season's Championship side would struggle against most Premiership sides let alone Citeh away.

gezkc

Man City aren't a top 6 side. They're a top 1 side.

Our line up was very odd and perhaps didn't help, but we won't meet too many sides better than them this season.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: gezkc on September 16, 2018, 11:07:56 AM

Our line up was very odd and perhaps didn't help, but we won't meet too many sides better than them this season.

And possibly a top 1 side in Europe too..

SP

The flip side to our return to the top table.  I think many of us would've accepted losing by three before kick-off.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 16, 2018, 09:26:27 AM
Very salient reminder just how far we still have to climb to be able give a top 6 side a game.

All as you say Fernhurst. In the commentary they said we nearly scored near the end, was it close? Was it Mitro?

092.gif

SG

I had it down for 4-0 so it was a relief to only be 3.  Worked on the basis we are conceding two a game and they are so much better than the average. I'm afraid to say that until we make ourselves hard to beat and stop conceding goals we will struggle all season

Fernhurst

Quote from: bog on September 16, 2018, 02:28:46 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on September 16, 2018, 09:26:27 AM

All as you say Fernhurst. In the commentary they said we nearly scored near the end, was it close? Was it Mitro?

092.gif

Nearly scored, well we had a shot!!!!
Mind you, just watched Jim's highlights and it appears we were well in the match.
To be fair to lads we never stopped trying to play football and despite being 3-0 down the last quarter was all us.

Fernhurst

Quote from: Vinnieffc on September 16, 2018, 11:12:38 AM

Ok Vinnie let's assume they are the best team in Europe, then playing Liverpool and Spurs (whoops) will be a breeze.

I do fancy our chances at home to Watford and Arsenal in the near future.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 16, 2018, 02:54:19 PM
Quote from: Vinnieffc on September 16, 2018, 11:12:38 AM

Ok Vinnie let's assume they are the best team in Europe, then playing Liverpool and Spurs (whoops) will be a breeze.

I do fancy our chances at home to Watford and Arsenal in the near future.

Totally agree  ! Neither are a patch on  Citeh.  Scousers close  but  nothing too much else to fear in the  league.  We'll stay up  comfortably..

bog

Thanks Fernhurst. I think we were all surprised with yesterday's line up. The last two seasons we have started slowly, Slav is new to this league and I think he learnt a lot yesterday. In Slavisa I trust and I have no doubt he will sort us out and we will hold our own. Mind you Watford should not be taken lightly.

092.gif

hovewhite

Hopefully Watford as they have this season started games slow we Nick a couple of goals early.

Mince n Tatties

I don't get carried away like some,so they're a good side,maybe the best in the league,but they ain't immortal, shouldn't be scared of any side like some on the forum have all week.
Before the international break Wolves who came up with us played them off the park for half an hour in the 1-1 draw..

Logicalman

Overall, despite the loss, we played a reasonable game I felt.

We were hardly likely to get much from this game, let alone 3 points, and that's not a defeatist attitude as opposed to a realistic one, given the current status of both teams and squad players.

There were many good take-aways from the game, and, it has to be said, a couple of poor take-aways also (like the absolute shambles that led to the first goal). Personally I have never subscribed to the 'play out from the back' tactics, though that might be more akin to my attitude than those proven my managers and coaches that have made it successful, but I do believe you play to your strengths, and that tactic doesn't appear very fruitful for us, especially this season.

Citeh are a great team, perhaps one of the best we have seen in decades, which does lend itself somewhat towards viewing yesterdays defeat with a kinder rather than critical eye.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.