watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

All Fulham supporters are equal but I do wonder

Started by SP, September 18, 2018, 07:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

I met a guy this morning that I havent seen at the Cottage for a while.  Was always impressed as he, & his family were always immaculately turned out in the current home shirt.  It turns out he supports Fulham when 'they're in the Premier League'.  Don't you miss the Cottage, the park, your pre-match routine & your football buddies?  How is this possible, simply doesn't compute for me?  Weird.

:dead horse:

Jamie88

Simply put, he may think he is, but that isn't a Fulham supporter

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Jamie88 on September 18, 2018, 07:20:34 PM
Simply put, he may think he is, but that isn't a Fulham supporter

Technically speaking doesn't the make about 10k of our home gate the same? Just going off our first two seasons in the championship average.

Carborundum

Championship teams have had four home league games.  We've had two.  There's been a lot more active football supporting in the Championship than at the Cottage so far!

The Championship seems to create this spectrum of reactions from, at one end "Beneath my dignity" all the way through to "Bloomin brilliant", which is where I reside.  I must confess that when people dismiss the Championship, there's a part of me that wonders how much they like the football at all. 

bill taylors apprentice

That guy may be many things but he ain't a Fulham Supporter

Mitrosonfire

look, we have a much bigger problem over here. my team is one of two biggest in the country, and in league game we had about 10.000 people in stadium (witch is sucsess) . tonight we had about 60.000 vs napoli. that is a big problem. people need to understand that they watch red star, not their opponents.  same is for fulham.

but hey, on the other side, that people also give money to your club, not to chelsea, west ham, tottenham, or sth.

mikestrand

30-35 quid a game for 2nd tier football was outrageous. football has become truly middle class
if the man isnt in a particularly well paid job and got kids he's probably feeling the pinch.
you shouldnt judge whether someone is a good or bad supporter by which games he chooses to go to.

Samjack

That is weird. To be honest, I wouldn't bother to talk to someone like that about football. That is someone who sees Fulham as entertainment only rather than a part of their identity. In many ways I prefer life in the championship because I'm surrounded by people who feel the same way about the club as I do - Fulham supporters; rather than people who are just consumers of live sport.

Jamie88

Quote from: mikestrand on September 19, 2018, 03:13:42 AM
30-35 quid a game for 2nd tier football was outrageous. football has become truly middle class
if the man isnt in a particularly well paid job and got kids he's probably feeling the pinch.
you shouldnt judge whether someone is a good or bad supporter by which games he chooses to go to.

I think you read the OP wrong. The guy said he only supports Fulham when they're in the Prem, not goes to watch only when they're in the Prem.

Fulham 442

Out of interest who did he support when we were in the Championship?!  As far as I'm concerned you support one team whatever division they are in.  You can look out for other teams for various reasons and I have been to Chelsea to see a game with my Chelsea supporting cousin but I was just interested in watching the match I wasn't supporting anyone.  As has been said on here earlier I find the whole idea weird!

RaySmith

I thnk thia man equates 'support' with going to games. He probably finds Fulham a suitable team in London to take his kids to,  where it's comparatively affordable and easy to get tickets - compared to the other London Prem clubs that is.

I doubt if he's a Fulham fan in the way we on here think, with fond memories of  Tosh, Leggat,  Haynes, Ivor, Parker, Stannard, Roger Brown or whoever,  but a new breed of football club 'customer', only interested in the  big stars and he  glamour of the Prem, rather than any particular club.

If he can afford to take his family to Prem games, I'm sure he could have afforded the same in the Championship if he wanted to.

But , whatever, he brings in money for the club. Let's face it, there must be many  'fans' who've returned to the Cottage now we are back in the prem, and many new ones too, especially bringing their kids to this family friendly club. as well as  tourists wanting to take in a Prem game.

And it's all  revenue for the club  to help Fulham prosper in this  highly competitive league.
And, if many on here are to believed with their attitude to our start to the season -  we won't have to put up with these types, or prem prices for long - because next season we'll be back in the Championship!

Westlondonffc

People like this are the scurge of modern football. People that see it as an event rather than a love of the club.

If you haven't followed your local/family club (should both be the case) from childhood, whatever the division, you're not a proper fan

Andy S

You could say that some people on this board have too much time on their hands, while others tune in and out at will. You have to be more tolerant everyone supports in whatever way the like. Some want to go to every game home and away while some just go to home games. Others just go to the big games and some just go to a few if they can get a ticket. Some just went to Wembley and some probably don't do at all any more due to health or other reasons.everyone is so different. We are all supporters

Andy S

Some children change who they support or follow by who tops the league and it is not until they are older that they support a football club

Southdowns White

I have also met a family who get season tickets for their nearest Premier League team, It is currently Brighton but when I first met them was Southampton then Fulham, They even went to Our Euro final in Hamburg. They are not friends of mine but seem perfectly normal otherwise, I also couldn't quite get my head round their way of thinking.

RaySmith

You've always had casual supporters, though, who just like to go to the occasional match, but don't really support a particular team.

We know from Sky's success the interest in Prem football and its stars - not me though, or  probably most on here. I only care about watching Fulham and cheering them on, but people like us are  probably a dwindling minority amongst those who watch football in this country.

hovewhite

Quote from: Westlondonffc on September 19, 2018, 08:44:38 AM
People like this are the scurge of modern football. People that see it as an event rather than a love of the club.

If you haven't followed your local/family club (should both be the case) from childhood, whatever the division, you're not a proper fan
I believe this is the type with a big wallets that the the khans and Casper want as they see just a pound note on a seat rather than a genuine fan ,hence the season ticket price in future years spiralling through the roof 
That's a Khan customer!

Lighthouse

As football supporters we can be snobs. If you don't support the team and go to matches and have seen them in every division you are not really a true fan. Being a supporter or a fan takes on many different faces.  I don't go now because of financial circumstance. But if my finances changed would I suddenly catch the attendance germ again? I don't know. Life changes. Fulham were a religion to me. I did once lose relationships and friends because Fulham were the most important thing in my life. While they still are important how important are they now to me? Am I any less of a fan for not travelling the length of the Country to see them in the third division as I once did.

Fans and support changes with circumstance. It would be nice if we just let people support the club how they like and be thankful that they do. Being a football snob is so common.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HV71

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 19, 2018, 11:32:35 AM
As football supporters we can be snobs. If you don't support the team and go to matches and have seen them in every division you are not really a true fan. Being a supporter or a fan takes on many different faces.  I don't go now because of financial circumstance. But if my finances changed would I suddenly catch the attendance germ again? I don't know. Life changes. Fulham were a religion to me. I did once lose relationships and friends because Fulham were the most important thing in my life. While they still are important how important are they now to me? Am I any less of a fan for not travelling the length of the Country to see them in the third division as I once did.

Fans and support changes with circumstance. It would be nice if we just let people support the club how they like and be thankful that they do. Being a football snob is so common.

Very well said Lighthouse. Life is not static - circumstances change and we should all be mindful of that

aaronmcguigan

I welcome anyone who takes any interest in our club. A shared interest, no matter how deep or shallow.
Should we judge everyone whilst not knowing full details?

No one needs to be looked down upon, if he says he supports Fulham then he's a Fulham fan, regardless of where , when and how often. If the original poster had maybe suggested the forum or social media to interact with like minded fans, maybe he would continue his support regardless of division.
Instead the way forward is to take the mans words and use it to insult him for no reason where he can't see it .

Classy