watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Preparation

Started by Wex, September 30, 2018, 11:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wex

No matter what anyone says, the convulated explanations etc; there is no excuse for starting the season with our current defence. We knew in March that we might get promoted. Plan, A we get promotion, plan B we don't. It didn't just happen, we knew the possibilities. This defence is worse than last season

David I

Quote from: Wex on September 30, 2018, 11:17:34 AM
No matter what anyone says, the convulated explanations etc; there is no excuse for starting the season with our current defence. We knew in March that we might get promoted. Plan, A we get promotion, plan B we don't. It didn't just happen, we knew the possibilities. This defence is worse than last season
To be honest, I was expecting Chambers to be more solid. I believe the real issue was the squad not having time to train and play together. In time you have a much better understanding of those next to you and then predict their next steps.
None of other teams had to rebuild a squad that had utilised 8 loan players... There in lies the real issue.

Lighthouse

Ream was injured in the build up to the season and had a back problem. We bought a player who was getting over an injury and took longer than we thought. Buying an injured player never works out so I am not sure if he was the only one we could get close to signing. Chambers has been the biggest disappointment. We bought a very expensive defensive midfielder who has so far looked less than average in the few games he has played. Our full backs seem at best naive.

The problem is our leaking soft goals. But the argument that we should have had our defence up and running and actually working well against Prem teams doesn't really hold water. Ideally we would be up and running but players had disappointed, we have looked poor in covering runs. The only one who bizarrely looks to be tuned in with the defence is Mitro whoknows what and who to defend when he has to.

I agree our defence needs sorting but so does a lot of things. Poor performances on the whole bar a few odd halves. Reminds me of typical Joka coaching. However we cannot complain that all this should have been sorted out. It never is and there was always far too much to do to make the lowest ranked side ready and prepared for the Prem.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fulham1959

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 30, 2018, 11:54:40 AM
Ream was injured in the build up to the season and had a back problem. We bought a player who was getting over an injury and took longer than we thought. Buying an injured player never works out so I am not sure if he was the only one we could get close to signing. Chambers has been the biggest disappointment. We bought a very expensive defensive midfielder who has so far looked less than average in the few games he has played. Our full backs seem at best naive.

The problem is our leaking soft goals. But the argument that we should have had our defence up and running and actually working well against Prem teams doesn't really hold water. Ideally we would be up and running but players had disappointed, we have looked poor in covering runs. The only one who bizarrely looks to be tuned in with the defence is Mitro whoknows what and who to defend when he has to.

I agree our defence needs sorting but so does a lot of things. Poor performances on the whole bar a few odd halves. Reminds me of typical Joka coaching. However we cannot complain that all this should have been sorted out. It never is and there was always far too much to do to make the lowest ranked side ready and prepared for the Prem.

It's nice to read some level-headed observations.

..FOF..

Then maybe we shall wait till at least New Year to see the possibilities clearer?

When the stakes were high, Joka usually needed time to get it going.... escape relegation, push for a realistic premiership promotion.