watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (05/10/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 05, 2018, 07:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Should Sunderland spell make Fulham wary of reported target Jake Clarke-Salter?

Premier League duo Fulham and Burnley are reportedly keen on Chelsea's Jake Clarke-Salter but he struggled in the Championship with Sunderland.

Jake Clarke-Salter arrived at the Stadium of Light on loan from Chelsea in January, tasked with helping Sunderland avoid relegation to League One.

It is fair to say the plan did not exactly come to fruition. The highly-rated centre-back made just 11 appearances for the Black Cats, conceded 24 goals and was even sent off in successive games against Middlesbrough and Preston.

So if you are a Sunderland fan, the amount of alleged interest in Clarke-Salter from Premier League and Champions League clubs could seem a little baffling.

HITC sources are telling us that Fulham and Burnley are keen on the 21-year-old, who has also been scouted by Bundesliga teams Borussia Dortmund and Bayer Leverkusen during his current loan spell at Chelsea feeder club Vitesse Arnhem.

While Clarke-Salter has impressed in Holland, the likes of Fulham should perhaps remember his Sunderland spell and be a little wary.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side have been worryingly porous at the back since being promoted to the Premier League, conceding a joint league-high 16 goals already, and it is difficult to see how a young and erratic Clarke-Salter could transform their fortunes.

That said, maybe it is a little unfair to question a young player thrown into a Sunderland side in crisis on and off the pitch at a crunch time of the season.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/10/04/do-should-sunderland-spell-make-fulham-wary-of-reported-target-j/

WhiteJC

Betts Retains England Place

Marcus Bettinelli has been named in the England squad for the upcoming UEFA Nations League fixtures against Croatia and Spain.

The Fulham goalkeeper was called up by Gareth Southgate for the first time a month ago, and he's retained his place for the double header of away matches in Rijeka and Seville.

"I'm thrilled to have kept my place in the squad," Betts told fulhamfc.com. "It's always a proud moment to get the call from your country, so I can't wait to meet up with the group again, hopefully after having taken three points on Sunday."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/october/04/betts-retains-england-place

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk: View Of The Opposition - Arsenal
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This episode is an interview with Larry Guinan, who has been an Arsenal supporter for many years. He was on the show to give the Arsenal perspective on this upcoming match. Larry shares his thoughts on this season so far for Arsenal, and then later on shares his view on the upcoming match. This show is our preview episode for this match.

you can listen to the pod-cast here...
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cottagetalk/2018/10/04/cottage-talk-view-of-the-opposition--arsenal

WhiteJC

Remembering Michael Jackson's peculiar relationship with football

The King of Pop loved the Nice shirt, had a statue at Fulham, raised money for Exeter City and was a very astute pundit

Michael Jackson with Mohamed Al Fayed on a lap of honour at Craven Cottage in April 1999. Photograph: Back Page Images/Rex/Shutterstock

Good luck to all of the World Cup finalists this weekend!" read one post on Twitter. On the face of it, there was nothing particularly unusual about the tweet, given it was sent two days before the final and social media was full of similar messages. What was unusual was that this particular message came from the official account of the late Michael Jackson, together with a picture of the King of Pop in a Nice shirt from the 1979-80 season.

While not one of the most famous pictures of Jackson's storied life, it's well known among his loyal fanbase. It comes from a photoshoot with Jackson's personal photographer, Todd Gray, in 1983. Jackson had four or five wardrobe changes during the day but, much to the photographer's chagrin, he refused to remove the shirt once he had put it on.

Had Jackson seen nimble Yugoslavian striker Nenad Bjeković rattle in 15 goals in the 1979-80 season and fallen in love with the Nice team? It's unlikely. Yet no one really knows how Jackson got his hands on the shirt, with Gray insisting it didn't come from him. Some fans speculate that he bought the jersey on a trip to the Cote d'Azur while promoting Thriller.

Taken in the garden of Hayvenhurst, the Jackson family compound in California, the pictures convey a carefree Jackson; pre-onset of Vitiligo, pre-Pepsi burn incident, post-Motown 25 and just prior to his rise to stratospheric levels of fame. This was Jackson before he became a one-man moneymaking machine, before the weight of his own success became a millstone, before that pressure of having to be Michael Jackson consumed him. Gray's photos show a man at ease.

After Jackson's death in June 2009, Nice posted the pictures on their official website as a tribute while simultaneously refuting claims that they were fake. The scepticism was understandable; why would Jackson have ever sported a Nice top? Jackson isn't usually associated with football, yet he crossed paths with the game on several occasions. The pop star knew little about football, but he did claim to be able to "play a bit".

No footage exists of Jackson moonwalking past opposition defenders, though, and much can be gleaned from a short scene in his nonsensical 1988 music-video -compilation-cum-fantasy-film, Moonwalker, in which he throws and runs with a football in NFL-style fashion. Jackson's notoriously strict father afforded his children no time to dabble in such frivolous activities as hobbies, not when there was music to practice and dance steps to learn. Sport was something Jackson only saw other children playing in his formative years.

Despite lacking sporting prowess, Jackson loved performing in stadiums and he had a particular fondness for European arenas. Bigger was always better, adding to his larger-than-life mystique. On the second leg of the Bad tour in in the summer and autumn of 1988, Jackson gyrated and glided across the stage in some of football's grandest cathedrals: the Camp Nou, the Vicente Calderón, the Olympiastadion in Munich and the Parc des Princes provided the backdrop for Jackson at his peak.

The apex of the tour came in the form of seven shows at the old Wembley, with Jackson performing in front of 504,000 people – a record that's never been broken. Such was the extraordinary level of demand – 1.5 million people applied for tickets – that 20 shows could have been staged. His total of 15 dates at Wembley remains more than any other artist.

Four years later, for the Dangerous world tour, Jackson added El Monumental and the Azteca Stadium to the list of temples he had conquered. At the Azteca show – which drew 500,000 people across five sold-out nights in October and November 1993 – Jackson bedazzled the audience with mesmerising footwork, bringing back memories of Diego Maradona playing against England, Belgium and West Germany in the same ground seven years earlier.

Michael Jackson walks around the pitch at Craven Cottage with Mohammed Al Fayed. Photograph: Roy Beardsworth/Action Images

Jackson's dalliances with football took a surreal turn towards the end of the century. It's now common to see A-list celebrities in the plush seats at Champions League or World Cup finals, Jackson's one and only appearance at a football match was the antithesis of glamour. For a performer who would go on to sell out the 20,000-seater 02 Arena in London 50 times over in the space of five hours as a 50-year-old, Craven Cottage and the third tier of English football seemed rather ill-fitting. Yet there he was, invited by Fulham owner Mohammed Al Fayed to take in the visit of Wigan Athletic in April 1999. Jackson even performed a lap of honour, waving to 12,000 rather bemused spectators.

"It was so exciting and passionate, the fans were like the people who come to my concerts," he exclaimed after witnessing Kevin Keegan's side's 2-0 win. "They were screaming and shouting and cheering their players on. I wanted to jump up and start dancing because I'm used to performing on stage when I hear all that noise."

Jackson was later brought into the Fulham dressing room by Al Fayed. Some of the players thought he was an impersonator and others imitated him with poorly executed moonwalks. "They seemed a really good team with a great spirit," Jackson said, which was presumably music to the manager's ears. "He seemed more interested in an old photograph taken in the 1920s, where the supporters were all wearing the same hats as he had," said Keegan. Fulham achieved promotion a game later, beating Gillingham 2-0 to earn a spot in the second tier.

That wasn't the end of Jackson's association with Fulham, though. In April 2011, Al Fayed unveiled a statue of the King of Pop at Craven Cottage. Not every supporter approved but the owner insisted the statue stayed. "If some stupid fans don't understand and appreciate such a gift they can go to hell," said a defiant Al Fayed.

It was removed two and a half years later after much ridicule, but Al Fayed blamed Fulham's subsequent relegation on the absence of Jackson outside the ground. "This statue was a charm and we removed the luck from the club and now we have to pay the price," said Al Fayed. The statue has since found a home at the National Football Museum in Manchester.

Jackson's trip to Fulham v Wigan may have been bizarre, but his most surreal football crossover took place at Exeter City in June 2002. Everyone's favourite spoon-bender, Uri Geller, had become the club's co-chairman but, in light of financial struggles, Geller decided to stage an event to raise funds for the Grecians.

Geller called upon his friend Jackson to appear – and appear he did, under the condition that half the money raised would go to charities fighting Aids in Africa. Some of his more hardcore fans paid £100 for the privilege of riding into the city on the same train as their idol. Jackson, flanked by Geller and David Blaine, addressed the crowd of 7,000 for 10 minutes before Blaine did a few tricks.

Jackson was asked if England would beat Denmark in the last-16 at the ongoing World Cup in Japan and South Korea. Ever the showman, he declared they would progress, which elicited a huge cheer from the audience. His forecast was somewhat tempered by his subsequent admission that he knew nothing about football. England did beat Denmark, though, meaning Jackson could also claim to be a decent pundit.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2018/oct/04/michael-jackson-peculiar-relationship-football-fulham-exeter-nice#img-2

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney has ability to play for England if he wishes, says Slavisa Jokanovic

Tom Cairney is good enough to switch allegiances from Scotland to England, according to his club manager Slavisa Jokanovic.

The Fulham midfielder, who has twice played in friendlies for Scotland, has been left out of Alex McLeish's latest squad after being told by his club that he would not be available, despite having recently returned from injury.

McLeish insisted there was "nothing sinister" in his omission, but the improvement Cairney continues to demonstrate may yet tempt England to make an approach he would have to seriously consider. Should they do so, Jokanovic believes he will vindicate their judgement.

The 27-year-old is battling to prove his match-fitness to start Sunday's fixture at home to Arsenal, and while Jokanovic has no preference regarding his captain's international career, he said: "I believe he's a useful player for many coaches and could be for Scotland and England too.

"He's definitely a quality player and his choice is Scotland at the moment. This is a question for Tom and for the England national team.

"My players are the best players in the world and he showed his quality in the last few seasons. He didn't start the season with luck but soon he will be at his best level.

"We will see (if he starts on Sunday). Ahead of us is two training sessions and I must take more time to make the decision."

Fulham's goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli has made the latest England squad, for the coming fixtures with Croatia and Spain, and Jokanovic has also predicted Ryan Sessegnon will soon receive his first senior call-up.

Alfie Mawson is another expected to return to contention with England, and the defender could yet be fit against Arsenal to strengthen a defence pursuing a first clean sheet of the season, who are already without Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Joe Bryan.

"Mawson is working with us all week and is part of the squad," said Jokanovic.

"Bryan has a hamstring problem and Fosu-Mensah has a shoulder dislocation and will need some few weeks to be ready."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/tom-cairney-has-ability-to-play-for-england-if-he-wishes-says-slavisa-jokanovic_337769.html

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney is good enough to play for England despite not being named in Scotland squad, says Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic

Fulham's manager says Tom Cairney could be useful for Scotland or England
    Tom Cairney has not been named in Alex McLeish's latest Scotland squad
    There are rumours that Gareth Southgate may want him to play for England

Tom Cairney is good enough to switch allegiances from Scotland to England, according to his club manager Slavisa Jokanovic.

The Fulham midfielder, who has twice played in friendlies for Scotland, has been left out of Alex McLeish's latest squad after being told by his club that he would not be available, despite having recently returned from injury.

McLeish insisted there was 'nothing sinister' in his omission, but the improvement Cairney continues to demonstrate may yet tempt England to make an approach he would have to seriously consider. Should they do so, Jokanovic believes he will vindicate their judgement.

Fulham's Tom Cairney has played for Scotland twice but is still eligible to play for England

His manager Jokanovic says he's a useful player and can be good for Scotland or England

The 27-year-old is battling to prove his match-fitness to start Sunday's fixture at home to Arsenal, and while Jokanovic has no preference regarding his captain's international career, he said: 'I believe he's a useful player for many coaches and could be for Scotland and England too.

'He's definitely a quality player and his choice is Scotland at the moment. This is a question for Tom and for the England national team.

'My players are the best players in the world and he showed his quality in the last few seasons. He didn't start the season with luck but soon he will be at his best level.

'We will see (if he starts on Sunday). Ahead of us is two training sessions and I must take more time to make the decision.'

Cairney has played in two friendlies for Scotland, but is not in Alex McLeish's latest squad

Fulham's goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli has made the latest England squad, for the coming fixtures with Croatia and Spain, and Jokanovic has also predicted Ryan Sessegnon will soon receive his first senior call-up.

Alfie Mawson is another expected to return to contention with England, and the defender could yet be fit against Arsenal to strengthen a defence pursuing a first clean sheet of the season, who are already without Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Joe Bryan.

'Mawson is working with us all week and is part of the squad,' said Jokanovic.

'Bryan has a hamstring problem and Fosu-Mensah has a shoulder dislocation and will need some few weeks to be ready.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6240421/Tom-Cairney-play-England-says-Fulham-manager-Jokanovic.html

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic transcript: Every word on Arsenal, Cairney's international future & more

Here's everything that Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic said ahead of the visit of Arsenal to Craven Cottage on Sunday

Injury news?

"Joe Bryan and Timothy Fosu-Mensah - these people will be out for a few weeks. Bryan has a hamstring problem and Fosu-Mensah has some shoulder dislocation and will need some few weeks to be ready."

Fosu-Mensah need surgery?

"No, this is good news for us. We will try find the solution without surgery."

Other injury news, Mawson okay?

"Alfie Mawson is working with us all week and is part of the squad."

Is Tom Cairney fit to start?

"We will see. He's with the team and ahead of us is two training sessions and I must take more time to make the decision."

Any sense about what Cairney will do with international future?

"No, to be honest this is question for Tom and for England national team.

"He's definitely a quality player and his choice is Scotland at the moment, there exists the possibility he will switch to a different direction, but I believe he's a useful player for many coaches and could be for Scotland and England too."

Good enough for England?

"Yeah, my players are best players in the world and I have good opinion about them.

(Image: Dan Istitene/Getty Images)

"He should the quality in the last few seasons. Unfortunately for him, he didn't start the season with good luck with this in just situation but soon he will be in his best level."

Don't think a player who starts with one country should stick?

"This is private decision and I don't want to involve myself in this situation. He is free man to choose what is best choice for him and I will support all the decisions."

Arsenal on Sunday, no clean sheets yet - worried?

"It's part of the process. We cannot be satisfied with this spell during this first seven games, it's huge room ahead of us to improve and we must try and work hard to fix all our problems.

"One of these is conceding so many goals and we are working in this direction to try find solution."

Switching players and formations - need to find settled team?

"Yes, sometimes when people ask for Plan A, B and C, sometimes these people aren't satisfied, we need best shape for the team.

"I consider it part of the process.

"We are working daily to improve ourselves and find best formation, sometimes it depends on us and sometimes on the opposite team and I am always open to different ways to play football and for different shape.

"In dependant of the shape, we want to follow some kind of style to be successful.

"This is similar where we lose some games, people ask you are you sure this is best way? Yes, I am sure. I believe our characteristic in my squad is try have possession of the ball, try control the game and at the end if you want to analyse the last game, where we lost the possession, we completely lost the control of the game.

"We created the chances but failed to connect the passes where we were in less dangerous situations in this period of the game where we connect with the ball.

"If you now believe that our solution is to wait 30 yards from goal, I don't believe this is solution, and we must show enough responsibility to know we need to imporve.

"This is not our best level, we are working hard and adapt ourselves, some spells is good, but we need to be more ambitious and need to show more aggression and more speed and this is improvement that we need to add in our game.

"We don't need to be so talented to improve in this way, you need to fight for every ball like it's the last ball for you.

"If you play against Everton and you must run more than this team, you must show more spirit and desire and more intensity and you will find option to win the points.

"If not, it's not easy way to win the game."

Arsenal started winning regularly, Europa League tonight, capitalise on that?

"I don't know, this is not first year for this team to play in same time as domestic competition and Europe. They are team with the squad to fight for all the competitions, I don't believe they will be so affected by tonight.

"I hope they will find some problem because of this, but to be honest it's not just Arsenal in this situation, yesterday night many teams played and tonight Chelsea play too."

Made of Arsenal?

"Arsenal changed the coach after many years, after two really hard games against top teams they find stability and they are team in most form in the Premier League.

"They're a big club and a good team and we don't need extra motivation, but for another side we need to be motivated for our opportunity to play against this team and to find better level after a few games in the Premier League.

"We will be ready and motivated for the battle."

How important is this game? Denis Odoi spoken of belief for the team?

"I don't know if Odoi stopped believing himself and team mates to play the football, I never stop believing in my players and all the games are important and next steps is always more important step for us,

"We must recognise our situation, you know what I am talking about.

(Image: Steve Bardens/Getty Images)

"It's great opportunity, we play in our home and we must start being braver, stronger and faster and show more ambition to win the game, this is our home, we must mark our territory and push hard to hurt opposite team.

"It's easier working with positive result than negative but it's part of the process and our business and we cannot stop, we must be available for work and with high level of the confidence."

Difference when playing at home?

"It's important, in this situation you must make yourself strong at home.

"I am two and a half years in this place, we find support from our stands and always find positive ambiance.

"Our fans will make everything for us to push in positive way to fight for the three points but solution is in our hands and definitely we need to encourage them."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/slavisa-jokanovic-transcript-every-word-15238757

WhiteJC

Liverpool (A) Tickets

Fulham travel to Anfield to take on Liverpool on Sunday 11th November, kick-off 12pm.

Tickets for this fixture will go on sale from 10am, Friday 5th October.

On sale dates will be staggered via Loyalty Points, culminating with all Season Ticket Holders and Members being able to purchase - subject to availability - from Tuesday 16th October.

Supporters are advised to check the full on-sale schedule with Loyalty Points information below.

On Sale Date   On Sale Group
10am, Friday 5th October   Season Ticket Holders & Members with 700+points (2 per person)
10am, Monday 8th October   Season Ticket Holders & Members with 600+points (2 per person)
10am, Tuesday 9th October   Season Ticket Holders & Members with 500+points (2 per person)
10am, Wednesday 10th October   Season Ticket Holders & Members with 400+points (2 per person)
10am, Thursday 11th October   Season Ticket Holders & Members with 300+points (2 per person)
10am, Friday 12th October   Season Ticket Holders & Members with 200+points (2 per person)
10am, Monday 15th October   Season Ticket Holders & Members with 100+points (2 per person)
10am, Tuesday 16th October   All Season Ticket Holders & Members (2 per person)

Tickets for the match are priced at £30 for adults, £22.50 for over 65s, £15 for under 22s and just £9 for Under 16s.
Fans will be able to purchase tickets online, by telephone on 0203 871 0810 (opt 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/october/04/liverpool-tickets

WhiteJC

Injury boost for Timothy Fosu-Mensah after suffering dislocated shoulder at Everton

The Manchester United loanee will, however, face a number of weeks out injured as a result of the dislocation

Timothy Fosu-Mensah doesn't require surgery after dislocating his shoulder in Fulham's 3-0 loss to Everton last weekend.

The Manchester United loanee was given oxygen as he was stretchered off in the opening seven minutes at Goodison Park after landing awkwardly on his shoulder after a challenge and was taken to hospital as a precaution.

The good news for Fulham is that the 20-year-old doesn't require surgery, but the bad news is that he will be out for a number of weeks as he starts his recovery from the injury.

That means Cyrus Christie will almost certainly start in Sunday's lunchtime kick off against Arsenal, having replaced Fosu-Mensah at Goodison Park last week.

Elsewhere, Joe Bryan will also be out until after the international break after he suffered a hamstring injury up at Everton, meaning Slavisa Jokanovic has a selection headache at left back for the upcoming fixtures, with Ryan Sessegnon likely to step into the role once more.

Neeskens Kebano remains out, although he has started working on the training pitch at Motspur Park after his ankle injury, but there is better news for Fulham with Alfie Mawson fit for the Arsenal game.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah of Fulham is carried off injured on a stretcher at Goodison Park. (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)

He missed the trip to Everton with a back injury but has been working with the side all week and he will be available for Sunday's match.

Tom Cairney could also start for Fulham having made his return to the side last weekend after an ankle injury, although Jokanovic will make a decision on whether he starts the game after Friday's training session.

Otherwise, everyone else is available for the side.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/timothy-fosu-mensah-doesnt-require-15239064

WhiteJC

England 'not considering' move for Scotland midfielder Tom Cairney

England manager Gareth Southgate has tried to play down reports that he is interested in persuading Tom Cairney to switch allegiance from Scotland.

The Fulham midfielder, who was born in England and has a Scottish father, has only represented Scotland in friendlies to date and is not tied to one country until he plays a competitive match.

"Yeah, it's not a situation that I'm really aware of," Southgate told BBC Radio 5 Live. "So, I've read the stories the same as you have, but I read lots of stories about myself that sometimes have an element of truth and sometimes have very little.

"I was aware that Tom Cairney is born in England, but I've always assumed that his association with Scotland has been for quite a while.

"So, it's not something that we've considered particularly at the moment."

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/england-not-considering-move-for-scotland-midfielder-tom-cairney-1-4810244

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Radio 1 DJ Chris Stark

Liverpool versus Manchester City is the game of the weekend, with the Premier League's top two meeting at Anfield - but how much will the outcome affect the title race?

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson said: "It is in danger of getting a little bit over-hyped, I'm afraid.

"If this is billed as the battle of the champions and all that - in mid-October - then I will smash my telly. There is still such an awfully long way to go.

"Yes, I am looking forward to it, yes they are the best two teams in the league and yes it should be a fantastic game of football, but it is not going to decide the title."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 top-flight matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This week's guest is Radio 1 DJ Chris Stark.

Stark, who co-presents 'That Peter Crouch podcast', describes himself as a "massive" Watford fan and says: "I have been for pretty much all my whole life.

"I have got to admit I was a little bit of a Manchester United fan for like the first five years of my life, but I think you just write that off to ignorance don't you? No offence to United fans.

"I have got too many Watford heroes to mention - at the moment big Troy Deeney is one of them, I just think he is amazing and he has done wonders for Watford.

"He gets written off every season and comes back stronger, so I love Troy.

"From Watford teams gone by, I would say Paul Robinson - because I play left-back myself, even though I am right-footed - and Heidar Helguson, who was brilliant when he was up front for us.

"Then obviously there are legends of Watford's history, like Graham Taylor, Luther Blissett and John Barnes - the big names."

LAWRO'S PREDICTIONS
Fulham v Arsenal (12:00 BST)

Ryan Sessegnon clattered the bar for Fulham against Everton last week when the game was goalless.

I just felt if the Cottagers were going to get a positive result at Goodison Park, they had to score first.

Unfortunately for them, they didn't - and they ended up collapsing a little bit in the end.

I think they might get something out of this game, though. Arsenal are still on a very good run, but they played in Azerbaijan on Thursday while Fulham have had the week off.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

Chris's prediction: I think Fulham can get a couple of goals here, and I am going to put this down as a draw. 2-2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45652012

WhiteJC

Arsenal star Emile Smith Rowe reacts to first Gunners goal and eyes Fulham action

ARSENAL star Emile Smith Rowe is eager to feature in the Premier League this weekend after scoring his first goal for the club.

The 18-year-old Gunners academy graduate slotted home his maiden goal for the north Londoners in their Europa League win at Qarabag.

The youngster, who impressed hugely in pre-season, coolly side-footed home from Alex Iwobi's pass as Unai Emery's side stay top of Group E.

Arsenal face Fulham in the top-flight on Sunday and Smith Rowe is keen to be a part of it.

He said: "Thanks for all your support.

Smith Rowe scored his goal shortly after the break before fellow teenager Matteo Guendouzi settled the tie late on.

The victory is Arsenal's eighth in a row under Emery and they will be confident of making it nine in nine at Cravan Cottage on Sunday.

Emery was delighted to see Smith Rowe impress but is keen to keep the youngster grounded.

On Smith Rowe, he said: "Smith Rowe worked well with us in pre-season and knows how we play. He is very humble and wants to continue improving with is.

"I said to him after that before he had once action and with ambition he can go inside the box and score more.

"The quality he has physically and mentally [is impressive]. He also has quality in his right foot, with working in attacking moments with any player.

"If I say one condition, I say his mentality. He is humble, he listens every day in training, in video analysis and before every match.

"The last match he played against Brentford he had three actions in the opposition box and didn't score, today he had two and scored one.

"But I prefer to not to speak a lot about him, I want him to stay humble and keep his feet on the ground."

Arsenal have now claimed six points out of six in the Europa League and face Sporting Lisbon in Portugal next.

On their win, Emery added: "Each match for us is not easy.

"When we are playing way we are playing against a good team with good players with great ambition.

"The first half we suffered, but I want to suffer and not find easy matches. Then in our match to show you and them our possibility.

"The 90 minutes today worked very well."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/734286/Arsenal-Emile-Smith-Rowe-Europa-League-Qarabag-Premier-League-Fulham-Unai-Emery?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-star-football+%28Daily+Star+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29

WhiteJC

Arsenal boss Unai Emery explains Nacho Monreal half-time sub and Fulham team selection

ARSENAL boss Unai Emery says Nacho Monreal's substitution against Qarabag was tactical not because of injury.

Arsenal beat Qarabag 3-0 in their Europa League tie in Baku thanks to goals from Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Emile Smith Rowe and Matteo Guendouzi.

Monreal was impressive in the first half and set up the Gunners' opener only to be taken off at the break.

Emery says the Spanish full-back hasn't suffered a problem but the Arsenal chief just wanted to change things up.

He said: "I changed Monreal because we wanted to play a back four in the second half and get an extra man in midfield."

Arsenal fielded a much-changed side in Azerbaijan ahead of this weekend's Premier League trip to Fulham.

While several of his fringe players impressed, Emery remained coy on if any could feature in the top-flight on Sunday.

He added: "Pierre-Emerick [Aubameyang] and Aaron [Ramsey] are in London and we will look to see if they can play.

"For us each match is very important for players to take confidence. I am very happy how the players are responding.

"Fulham is very important. We are going to decide the best first XI to continue this way against a very good team."

Arsenal have now claimed six points out of six in the Europa League and face Sporting Lisbon in Portugal next.

On their win over Qarabag, Emery added: "Each match for us is not easy.

"When we are playing way we are playing against a good team with good players with great ambition.

"The first half we suffered, but I want to suffer and not find easy matches. Then in our match to show you and them our possibility.

"The 90 minutes today worked very well."

Arsenal beat Watford in the Premier League last weekend to move up to fifth in the table.

They make the trip across London on Sunday to face Fulham, who lost at Everton last Saturday.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/734300/Arsenal-Unai-Emery-Nacho-Monreal-Europa-League-Qarabag-Fulham-Emile-Smith-Rowe

WhiteJC

Arsenal Thoughts

October is my favourite month of the year. I suppose it stems from the fact that my birthday is in October, but I have also always loved the colours of the trees at the this time of the year, and the fireworks at the end of the month. In Northern Ireland we don't celebrate Guy Fawkes night, but we do have fireworks etc on Halloween night, so I always associate October with birthdays and fireworks. Last year Fulham really put a dampener on my normally high spirits in October with four lacklustre displays and therefore four disappointing results. We scrapped draws against Preston and Wigan at home, while we were beaten comfortably by both Aston Villa and Bristol City. It had already been a poor start to the season, and a fair few fans had already started to believe that promotion wasn't a realistic target. Fast forward a few months, and Fulham were smack-bang in the middle of a push up the table, showing that a slow start isn't the end of the world.

We have started slowly this season with just the one win so far from our seven games and 16 goals conceded. It doesn't look great on paper, but it could also look a lot worse. We have to remember that Fulham have started the past few seasons relatively slowly, and have then ended up doing very well. We have had to deal with a massive jump up in quality as well as integrating so many new players into our club. I fully believe that we will have a good run of results soon and that the performances will improve as the players adjust to the league so we just have to hang in there and continue to support the team.

It would be amazing to start October with a win, but it will be extremely difficult against an Arsenal side who have won eight games on the bounce in all competitions. It's a new era for Arsenal under Unai Emery, but the Spaniard seems to be settled in well at the Emirates with his side sitting 5th in the table after a real rocky opening few matches. They will have to overcome some European jetlag after their trip to Qarabag in Azerbaijan, but as it was a much changed side in the week, we shouldn't count on the same levels of tiredness that Burnley had back in August.

We have a reasonably good record against Arsenal at home, with three wins, a draw and four defeats in our last eight games against them in the league. While this isn't ground-breaking, it's decent enough form for us against a traditionally much stronger club. Could Fulham repeat the wins of 2012, 2008 or 2006 this Sunday?

While Arsenal are on a rich run of form, we should note that they have only kept two cleansheets in the league this season. With Petr Cech looking like he might miss out because of an injury sustained last week, there could be a real opportunity for our front three to have a productive game. At the other end of the pitch, however, we will have to be weary of a side who have 14 goals already this season. Our defence has been our weakest point this year, and we will be without Joe Bryan and Timothy Fosu-Mensah for certain after the pair were forced off last week injured. I'd imagine that Ryan Sessegnon will revert to left back with Cyrus Christie on the right. I thought Christie was really poor last week, so hopefully we see some improvement this time around.

We have missed a fit Tom Cairney over the past few games, and I absolutely think that he makes the difference for us in midfield. While I agree that Seri is probably the best player to wear a Fulham shirt for years, I think we have missed Cairney's awareness and knowledge of the English game in there. Hopefully we see him start on Sunday.

#COYW

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/10/arsenal-thoughts/

WhiteJC

Frank: We'll Give Everything

André-Frank Zambo Anguissa knows the best response to the Everton result is to put in a big performance against Arsenal.

A below-par second half display condemned Fulham to defeat last time out, and our imposing midfielder is keen to bounce back in Sunday's lunchtime kick-off.

"We were very disappointed because it was a heavy defeat," he told fulhamfc.com. "To lose 3-0 in the end is not easy to take.

"Now we're eager to get back on the pitch at home this weekend with the game against Arsenal. We want to give everything in this match and to put in a big effort as a team to try to win the game.

"Everton is now in the past, we'll try to take positives from this match to take into our next game and try to get the win.

"Against Everton, yes we lost, but there were parts of the game which weren't all negative, we managed some good things and created a few chances which we could have taken.

"It's up to us now to be more focused to defend as a team and to attack together. Because against Arsenal, if we work hard and put in a big effort all together, this will give us the best chance to win the match."

The victory Anguissa has in mind will have to be earned, with Unai Emery's side currently the in-form team in the Premier League.

"It's true it's a big game against a well-known team in this division, but as I've said we are going to give our all," he promised.

"We need to be strong defensively, attack as a team and try to make the most of the chances we create. We know it's not going to be easy, but we are confident and we really want to do well.

"These are important games, whether it's Arsenal, Everton or Brighton – all games are important as we want to try to win every one. We'll approach the game with the intention and desire to try to win.

"Our fans have always been behind us and provide great support – they are vocal in every match and they've been fantastic at home.

"For us to try to repay their faith, we need everyone around us and with the effort we will put into this game and the support of our fans, we believe we can do something great."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/october/05/andre-frank-zambo-anguissa-arsenal-preview

WhiteJC

Fulham duo out of Arsenal clash but Mawson could play

Alfie Mawson could be fit for Fulham's game against Arsenal on Sunday.

The Whites will be without Joe Bryan and Timothy Fosu-Mensah, who suffered a hamstring injury and a dislocated shoulder respectively during the 3-0 defeat at Everton.

But Mawson has trained this week and will be included in the squad for the game against the Gunners.

"Mawson is working with us all week and is part of the squad," Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic confirmed.

"Bryan has a hamstring problem and Fosu-Mensah has a shoulder dislocation and will need some few weeks to be ready."

Meanwhile, Jokanovic says Tom Cairney is good enough to switch allegiances from Scotland to England.

The Whites midfielder, who has twice played in friendlies for Scotland, has been left out of Alex McLeish's latest squad after being told by his club that he would not be available, despite having recently returned from injury.

McLeish insisted there was "nothing sinister" in his omission, but the improvement Cairney continues to demonstrate may yet tempt England to make an approach he would have to seriously consider.

Should they do so, Jokanovic believes he will vindicate their judgement.

The 27-year-old is battling to prove his match-fitness to start Sunday's game, and while Jokanovic has no preference regarding his captain's international career, he said: "I believe he's a useful player for many coaches and could be for Scotland and England too.

"He's definitely a quality player and his choice is Scotland at the moment. This is a question for Tom and for the England national team.

"My players are the best players in the world and he showed his quality in the last few seasons. He didn't start the season with luck but soon he will be at his best level.

"We will see (if he starts on Sunday). Ahead of us is two training sessions and I must take more time to make the decision."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-duo-out-of-arsenal-clash-but-mawson-could-play