watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

West Ham

Started by aaronmcguigan, October 28, 2018, 04:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronmcguigan

No harm to the English media but I am sick to death of this whole spending £100m and failing miserably. They're out to make us a laughing stock and have clearly failed to see our starting point or compare to similar teams around us.

Look at the teams around us: West Ham have spent 80m not including costly free transfers like Fredericks and Wilshere, which added to last years spend of 40m makes their points return of 8 (1 win more than us) look absolutely ridiculous. In that time they've gone through 3 "elite" managers all of whom have managed top European teams.

I'm sure there are other examples in the league of similar outlay and lack of return, but had we not invested, we'd be similarly laughed at, playing the likes of Djalo with Fonte and Woodrow up top

Fulham 442

Well looking at things now it was not £100 million wisely spent was it? Things are looking pretty grim atm.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Fulham 442 on October 28, 2018, 04:24:14 PM
Well looking at things now it was not £100 million wisely spent was it? Things are looking pretty grim atm.

couldnt agree more that it looks grim, and that investment seems to have been a scattergun approach

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Newry FFC on October 28, 2018, 04:29:23 PM
Quote from: Fulham 442 on October 28, 2018, 04:24:14 PM

couldnt agree more that it looks grim, and that investment seems to have been a scattergun approach

A scatter gun approach is a very good description.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

So please tell me when we signed these players we were all excited, why are we now saying they were bad signings, it is Impossible to know how any player or team will function until they start. In my opinion they are not bad signings, it just hasn't worked.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on October 28, 2018, 07:08:01 PM
So please tell me when we signed these players we were all excited, why are we now saying they were bad signings, it is Impossible to know how any player or team will function until they start. In my opinion they are not bad signings, it just hasn't worked.

I was not excited by some of these signings because they were not either first choice or we paid well over the odds, I was more relieved than excited just to get somebody in, and they were clearly not Joks choices, don't the club ever learn, no wonder Jok did not want to rush into a contract.
He does not appear to be on their wave length, which is not his fault, I cannot see many managers being on their wave length either.
Cannot see the situation improving very much very quickly, with the kind of policy's the club operates with.
But Jok could have and should have dealt with it better in a more charasmatic and hands on way.
There is always more than one way to skin a cat, but it appears that neither the manager or the club are capable of succeeding in finding out.

Never forget your Roots.

St Eve

Quote from: alfie on October 28, 2018, 07:08:01 PM

Absolutely correct. Everyone was ecstatic. The manager was God. Now they are useless signings and the manager should be fired. Pathetic really

RaySmith

They are top players, but brought in with short notice, and the manager  had to be meld so many into a team at once.

But, there is still hope - that a team can come together under Slavisa, which can compete in the Prem.
After all, out first few matches we looked quite good -  except for the results - though we got a draw at Brighton - should have been a win, and beat Burnley easily.

Now we seem to have lost confidence, unable to have a settled team with injuries, the defeats have clearly affected the players, and manager, who is struggling to find a  successful defensive set up.

But there is time to turn things round.

Mince n Tatties

How much did that lad Brooks cost from Sheff United,made Seri look amateurish imo.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 28, 2018, 08:58:10 PM
How much did that lad Brooks cost from Sheff United,made Seri look amateurish imo.

Exactly,  no need to shop abroad when they are here right under our noses.

Never forget your Roots.

MikeW

Ok, Ok but I'll keep banging this drum ... you spend £30M on a DMF and he seemingly hasn't got the pace or the nous to play in the Prem.  You spend 25M on a creative midfielder who is too slow/lightweight, whatever and around £15M on a centre half who arrives knackered and cannot even get in the team.  The Coach denies the signings have anything to do with him ('I didn't sign them').

Step up to the plate Mr Talbot.  Looking good isn't it Brian? What exactly do you do then?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Bassey the warrior

They aren't bad signings. They're decent signings and I'm sure they'll all improve. Signings haven't been the biggest issue.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 28, 2018, 08:58:10 PM

It was an undisclosed fee, however, my Intelligence Unit inform me it was £10,000,000 Million English Pounds, 💷 rising to £11,000,000 English Pounds. 💷

Never forget your Roots.

Facts Not Fiction

I think its £100m worth of talent that isn't being utilised.

Fabri, Mawson and Anguissa, 3 players better than what we already have, just sitting on the bench. Thats half the budget not being utilised.

aaronmcguigan

A centre back pairing is key so to sign an injured one means you need to go into the season with a Plan B, well planned and executed. We however went in with Calum Chambers who had absolutely no time to get up to speed with our game and his teammates.
Same for Anguissa, no pre season with us means a lot of catch up time and there is no room for error in this league.

As for Fabri, I'm sorry but changing from keeper to keeper is like rearranging the furniture on the titanic. Our problems lie elsewhere, none of the keepers are terrible but none are great.  Just pick one and give him tie to establish links and relationship with his back 4/5

Neil D

Were these players signed on the basis of Tony Khan's number crunching?  If so, I have to ask how much does this guy really know about football?  To what extent was SJ consulted?  Choosing players to sign cannot be reduced to a mathematical / statistical formula.  In addition, we have a tradition of signing players of dubious quality for a lot of money, dating back to Peter Kitchen (our biggest signing at the time), Marlet, Mitroglou, the Costa Rican guy, Fonte etc.   Seri has been a big disappointment.  Anguissa has featured very little but SJ evidently isn't that impressed.  In addition to Mitro, the only bright spot has been Vietto and yet SJ hardly plays him and this is where I question his tactical awareness.