more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Seems the referees are conspiring against Fulham

Started by Nick Bateman, October 27, 2018, 05:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the nutflush

Quote from: alfie on October 29, 2018, 12:52:10 PM
Sometimes I wonder about the thinking of football supporters, why is it when a ref makes a decision that we as supporters don't agree with it immediately means that the ref was biased towards the other team. What we forget on a lot of occasions is we may have a completely different view of an event than the ref,what looks a fair challenge to us looks completely different from the refs view, he gets a split second to decide, and I believe they make an honest decision at the time.

Agree 100%.  This whole bias argument is crap... as is this thread.  The whole theory of a professional ref having it in for your team is so weak

MikeTheCubed

Fulham's overall Premier League record is:

Played - 504
Won - 151
Drawn - 138
Lost - 215
Points Per Game - 1.172

---------

Andre Marriner's record in Premier League Fulham games is:

Played - 21
Won - 4
Drawn - 4
Lost - 13
Points Per Game - 0.762

---------

A gap of -0.41 or -35% points per game average when Andre Marriner is the official. Does this mean that Marriner "has it in" for Fulham? No. Does it mean he is "deliberately" favouring our opposition? No. But I still believe it's a reasonably strong indication that there's at least something not quite right there. Maybe worth comparing to other referees or further refining the figures by only including Fulham's record in the games after they first officiated us.

JoelH5

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on October 30, 2018, 12:09:37 PM
Fulham's overall Premier League record is:

Played - 504
Won - 151
Drawn - 138
Lost - 215
Points Per Game - 1.172

---------

Andre Marriner's record in Premier League Fulham games is:

Played - 21
Won - 4
Drawn - 4
Lost - 13
Points Per Game - 0.762

---------

A gap of -0.41 or -35% points per game average when Andre Marriner is the official. Does this mean that Marriner "has it in" for Fulham? No. Does it mean he is "deliberately" favouring our opposition? No. But I still believe it's a reasonably strong indication that there's at least something not quite right there. Maybe worth comparing to other referees or further refining the figures by only including Fulham's record in the games after they first officiated us.

It would be good to see a breakdown of the teams who we played in those 21 games.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

nose returns

IMO mariner is one of the worst referees and my heart sinks when I see his name. The pen for them was not unreasonable but I am certain he would not have goven it to us. AK desrebved to be booked for a ridiculous foul but I have no faith that he would have don the same at the other end, i suspect they would have got the pen. he was kind to AK at the end because I think even with his ridiculous onesided eyes he thought he may be able to make it look like he isn't one sided. there were many incidents not featured on TV where he favoured them the fouls count of 16 to 3 in bournemouth's favour was simply the key stat showing his bias, because they went unpunished and we just had to sneeze for him to blow his whistle.

HV71

My heart sank also when I saw he was officiating. I think he is a terrible referee- nothing to do with bias. He was very inconsistent on Saturday ( particularly when he decided to allow "advantage " or not) . The foul count was in no way a reflection of the game and he certainly should have sent Kamara off for kicking the ball away. Just a very poor ref

alfie

I find it quite disappointing that we feel the need to blame the ref for our own miserable failings.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Statto

Quote from: alfie on October 30, 2018, 02:06:15 PM
I find it quite disappointing that we feel the need to blame the ref for our own miserable failings.

Fulham being poor and the referee being poor are not mutually exclusive.

I find everything on here gets taken to extremes. Either Jokanovic, Tony Khan, the referee or the players are to blame but it can't be a little bit of each. Either the manager is brilliant or terrible, nothing in between. Either you love Bettinelli or you hate him. Etc etc, no grey areas in the middle.

As it happens I thought Fulham were rubbish on Saturday but so was the ref. He seemed to have it in for all our players and made decisions that determined the outcome of the game - a penalty to them, 2x penalty appeals turned down for us, a blatant foul on Odoi missed in the build-up to the second goal, then sending off McDonald.

Does that excuse our performance? No. But it was horrible luck to get that ref when we are in need of a little help or rub of the green to swing things our way. 

Woolly Mammoth

To have any chance of getting the rub of the green, and a large dollop of luck, the players have to work much much harder. Currently the team does not work anywhere near hard enough.
Perhaps that's due to a lack of fitness caused by the mediocre preparation in the close season, or is it due to the possible lack of team spirit and low morale which is reflected in performances.
Or is it due to the constant changes of personal in the starting lineup. 
They may need to consider installing some turnstiles in the dugout to accommodate the irritating tinkering and comings and goings, it reminds me of a dog chasing its tail.
Never catches up, never solves why he can't catch up. 
The fact that we are outrun and out faught and outplayed most match days, then one of the things they need  to step up a gear is work rate, on and off the ball.
Until we can match teams for workrate and desire, do not expect much luck to come our way.
The harder you work the luckier you get.
What is also noticeable is the teams lack of getting the basics right.
From our own throw ons, which always seem to end up in the opposition lap, to not hunting in packs when we should be pressing and trying to win the ball back immediately.
There are far too many to mention. But the current set up is infected with bad habits.
We are lacking too many basics which need to be polished up.
Cannot blame the referee on this occasion for our own short comings. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

nose returns

Quote from: alfie on October 30, 2018, 02:06:15 PM

I am not blaming the ref for failings. I am blaming the ref for his.
If you do not think refs can influence the proceedings i point you to the two play off matches v reading when they massively worked against us.

The home leg v juve the ref really favoured us, every time i rewatch i am astonished how much in our favour he was.  But that is the last one i recall in our favour. Mariner didn't cost us the game, we did that, but i did not see him as impartial.

the nutflush

Why should any team have to rely on luck and "the rub of the green"?  It not a game of Monopoly.  Its football.  One of my favourite sayings is "Don't get bitter, just get better".

Woolly Mammoth

One of my favourite sayings is " waking up this morning was an eye opening experience. "
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Quote from: the nutflush on October 30, 2018, 08:58:39 PM
Why should any team have to rely on luck and "the rub of the green"?  It not a game of Monopoly.  Its football.  One of my favourite sayings is "Don't get bitter, just get better".

but waht im saying is, when things aren't going your way, you need a break. Same in any aspect of life isn't it. I can tell plenty of stories of my own where things haven't been going so well and it's been a stroke of luck that turns things. My personal feeling is that's exactly where we are now, and no player or manager on this planet will turn things around if all they get is the bad luck and crap standard of ref we had on Saturday.