more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 30/10/18...

Started by WhiteJC, October 30, 2018, 07:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

Eddie Howe tells Slavisa Jokanovic to stick by Fulham philosophy in bid to stop the rot

Eddie Howe has told Slavisa Jokanovic to stick to what he believes in when it comes to turning things around at Fulham.

Howe's Bournemouth were ruthless in their 3-0 win at Craven Cottage on Saturday as a Callum Wilson penalty was followed up by a wonderful breakaway goal from David Brooks and a second confident finish from the English striker.

Fulham remain in the bottom three with just one win from ten games this season. At this stage in Bournemouth's maiden Premier League campaign, Howe was in a similar spot with just two wins from ten and two consecutive 5-1 defeats against Manchester City and Tottenham.

However, having come up from the Championship playing open, expansive football, Howe says his Serbian counterpart must not waver from his philosophy as he looks to turn the tide.

"It was a difficult time, the first year in the Premier League" Howe told Standard Sport of Bournemouth's early struggles. "I'm not going to give out advice, it is more for the supporters and the club.

"Fulham got here by playing the way they did in the Championship, which was nice to watch from everybody's perspective. I enjoyed watching Fulham play.

"Once you have built that style of play, way of doing things, the last thing you want to do is change."

Up next for Fulham is a perhaps rather unwanted trip to face Manchester City in the League Cup on Thursday before a Monday night clash against relegation rivals Huddersfield.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/eddie-howe-tells-slavisa-jokanovic-to-stick-by-fulham-philosophy-in-bid-to-stop-the-rot-a3973826.html

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan has backed Slavisa Jokanovic once more - now it's time for the players to do the same

Fulham news includes a look at why the players need to stand up and be counted ahead of a six pointer with Huddersfield Town

Slavisa Jokanovic isn't the type of person to need constant reassurance from his bosses, or anyone for that matter.

Having grown up in former Yugoslavia, the now Fulham head coach spent years backing himself that he could make it as a professional footballer, carving out an 18-year career that took him from his native country to Spain and eventually England.

He showed guts to score an 81st minute penalty to keep Tenerife up on the final day of the 1998 La Liga season before moving on to Deportivo La Coruna to help them win their first ever league title at the age of 31.

Management spells all over the world followed, including promotion at Watford, a league title in Thailand and relegation in Spain with Hercules.

That career has seen highs and lows, but what has remained constant is that Jokanovic has always backed himself and never once succumbed to the pressures that is associated with top level football, in either his playing or his coaching days.

But now, he's facing his biggest test.

After a 3-0 defeat at the hands of AFC Bournemouth, Fulham sit in 18th place in the Premier League, winless in seven games and are facing the very real threat of immediate relegation back to the Championship.

The knives are certainly being sharpened by some who believe the Serbian is 'out of his depth' in the top flight, while others believe he is too stubborn to change his side's attacking style of play that saw them flourish in the second tier of English football.

He's been given two public backings by owner, Shahid Khan, in the past week, with his latest coming on Sunday in which Mr Khan stated he was 'optimistic' Jokanovic would turn things around and that 'Slav is our guy'.

He told Sky Sports: "I think Slav's our guy.

"It was not a good day for us yesterday after playing Bournemouth but I spent quite a bit of time with him and I have all the confidence in Slav.

"I'm optimistic and I have faith in the players and Slav to keep us up.

"We knew it was going to be tough and that's why we wanted to add to the squad.

"We did and we had a great transfer window. We have to come up with the team that moves us forward but I'm very optimistic

"I want the fans to remember that last year we were at the bottom of the Championship table, not too many people had hope for us to get promoted."

Jokanovic himself doesn't need that backing, he knows he needs to find solutions to the many problems his side are facing at the moment otherwise it will be curtains for him.

He's not a naive man, he knows how this industry works, so while it is nice for Jokanovic to hear the owner backing, he knows that if results don't pick up, it will be his head on the line.

And that's where, for me, it falls to the players to stand up and be counted and to back their head coach, just like he has backed them this season.

Jokanovic has swapped and changed tactics and personnel this season, something some criticise him for doing too much and while others criticise him for being stubborn and refusing to change his ways, as he looks to find the formula that is going to work.

Fulham changed to a 4-4-1-1 on Saturday against Bournemouth, something Jokanovic hoped would cut out the huge spaces there had been in between the midfield and defence in the past, and for a lot of the first half it worked well, except for Timothy Fosu-Mensah's poor lack of judgement when he dived in on Callum Wilson to give away a penalty.

It's yet another piece of poor judgement, another mistake from one of Jokanovic's players that has pushed him closer to the exit door, and for all the criticism that the head coach has gotten, when it comes down to it, it's the players that are letting him down at the moment.

Say what you want for Jokanovic's coaching abilities, the amount of signings Fulham made or the departure of Stuart Gray (which, I don't think has had any impact, but that's for another piece) - when players are making errors that you wouldn't see on the most waterlogged pitch on a Sunday morning, nothing you do on the training pitches from Monday to Friday will help.

There's a lack of fight in this Fulham team at the moment, a lack of leadership and a lack of guts.

Last season, the team revelled in the flowing, attacking football and the limelight it brought with it, but they showed they had the stomach for a fight when they found themselves in 17th In November and quickly losing pace with the top six.

(Image: Clive Rose/Getty Images)

The players who were here last season need to find that gumption, and find it fast, while those that came in the summer thinking they were joining a side that would walk into a mid-table place in the Premier League, or even to further their own careers, need to realise they're in the trenches now and that the only way to get themselves out of the mess they're in is to fight.

Sure, if Fulham get relegated this season a lot of the players brought in over the summer will get their chance again in a top division, but with that blot on their CV, can they really tell fans of both this club and any other club in the future that they fought tooth and nail, as a team, to stay up?

At the moment and on the performances so far, that answer would be no.

Jokanovic is the man who has to front up before and after every game and look us, the press, in the eye and tell us that he's finding solutions, that he's confident things can turn round and that the players are capable of doing it.

He'll defend his players to the death in front of us, but out there on the pitch, it looks like his players aren't paying him that same respect.

Huddersfield Town next Monday is now one of the biggest games of the season, a clichéd six pointer, but it has the potential to be the makings of Fulham's season.

If they go there and the players fight tooth and nail for every 50/50 and every sniff of the ball they get, if they go out there and perform like gladiators for their head coach and get a result, maybe, just maybe, they can start to build a platform to ensure survival from.

And if not, they may find themselves having to prove to a new coach why they're worth their place on the pitch.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/shahid-khan-backed-slavisa-jokanovic-15341825

WhiteJC

Tim Ream full transcript: Fulham defender opens up on what's going wrong at Craven Cottage

Read everything the defender had to say on playing for the manager, players not pulling their weight and what happens next

Are the players playing for manager?

"I don't think it has anything to do with the manager to be honest with you.

"We're not playing for ourselves and for each other first and foremost and there's no togetherness.

"We give up a goal and heads go down and today it was a bit different, we had a little bit more of the ball and in the second half we came out with a little bit more fight in us and started going at Bournemouth.

"We gave up a second goal and that's when heads just really dropped.

"There's no fight amongst the group right now and I said midweek, we're not a team at the minute we're a group of individuals who don't look like they want to stay in this league and until that changes and guys, myself included, step up even more, it's going to stay this way."

After defeat to Sunderland you were embarrassed and then got really good, same might happen after Cardiff?

"I felt the same thing. I don't know why (not), I don't know that everyone grasps what the situation is.

"It's hard to describe, you don't want to single anybody out. It's not any one individual, it's the group, it's the collective."

Are the too many new faces?

"No I don't think you can blame that on the new guys.

"I don' think that's fair on them, I don't think that's fair on the guys who are here.

"There's just not that same mentality and determination. I think too many guys are happy to skate through and not put in the effort that maybe we put in last season.

"That's down to every individual.

"We have to look at ourselves first before pointing fingers, this guy and that guy, you have to look in the mirror, it's easy to say that I know.

"Unless you're willing and ready to raise your own standards you can't expect other people to raise their own."

When you mention your frustration - do you see that among team-mates?

"Yeah, and that's natural.

"Everybody in there wants to win games, everybody wants to be further up the table, everybody wants to score goals and concede as many as we are.

"It's not anything special, it's not anything new.

"There's definitely a frustration we're not picking up results, and not winning games and not conceding so many.

"It's not a frustration with this player or that player, it's more of a frustration at the situation, not one thing that's going on."

How bad is that lack of confidence?

"It's a huge issue. That goes back to the mentality.

"Okay, so we concede a goal, what are we going to do about it?

"Are we going to crumble or are we going to try and change things?

"After the first goal we looked like we were going to try and change things; we came out in the second half and looked like we were going to do something about it, and for some reason the second goal goes in, and that's when heads go down.

"It's human nature to a certain extent, but you still have to fight. It's not acceptable to just cave in and roll over."

How crucial is next week at Huddersfield?

"Every game's crucial; it doesn't matter whether it's Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Liverpool, we have to start getting results, getting three points. We need to be more solid all over the pitch."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/tim-ream-full-transcript-fulham-15342070

WhiteJC

BT Sport analysis sums up what everyone gets wrong about Fulham and their £100m spending spree

The BT Sport pundits discussed Slavisa Jokanovic's future at Fulham - but it shows what everyone gets wrong about the club

The future of Slavisa Jokanovic's position at Fulham was a topic of debate for the BT Sport pundits on Saturday - but if we can take anything from it, it's that people still don't know how the club operates.

John Hartson, Chris Sutton and Owen Hargreaves sat down with presenter Jake Humphry to discuss what happens next to the head coach after a 3-0 defeat to AFC Bournemouth left them without a win in seven games and in the relegation zone.

They aren't the only ones having this discussion - social media is rife with debates on whether Jokanovic is the right man to get his side out of the mess they find themselves in, or whether new ideas are needed.

It's no secret that over £100million was spent by the club in the summer, and for the most part, that's what the BT Sport pundits' discussion was hinged on.

However, it summed up once more what everyone gets wrong about Fulham.

We've gone through their comments about Fulham and annotated the bits where people seem to get confused with the club.

John Hartson: "First of all I think you have to look at, is it time for sentiment?

"A lot of fans are saying 'well, how long do you give him?' because yes, he took them up into the Premier League, albeit via the play-offs, beating Aston Villa in the play-off final, but for me it's a case of five points not being a good enough return.

"He spent an awful lot of money, he would've brought in the players, no excuses there, he would've brought in the Schurrles and the Mawsons and the other players that they spent a lot of money on."

This would be correct when talking about a lot of clubs in the Premier League, and indeed the Football League too, but not Fulham.

The recruitment at Craven Cottage is overseen by Director of Football Operations, Tony Khan, and his assistant directors, James Lovell and Brian Talbot.

While Jokanovic has a small say in transfers at the club, they are the ones with overall responsibility and are the ones that have signed the 12 new faces and spent £100m in the summer.

So no, Jokanovic didn't bring in the Schurrles and Mawson, but he does have to find a way to fit the players into the system and start getting results.

Hartson continued: "It's a case of do you do it now, or do you give him until January?

"I think there has got to be some sort of loyalty there but how far do you go with that sentiment of feeling sorry for him?"

Jake Humphrey: Is now the time, or do you wait until January?

"I would wait, I would give him another five or six games before I make any type of decision because I think he's earned that time as the manager in terms of what he did for Fulham, in terms of taking them back into the Premier League.

"I would personally give him another five or six games."

Shahid Khan has publicly backed Jokanovic twice now - once before the loss to Bournemouth in his pre-match programme notes where he described reports that the head coach would be sacked if he lost his last two games as 'laughable' and once more after the Jacksonville Jaguars game at Wembley.

It certainly looks like Jokanovic will be given the five or six games that Hartson believes he should be given here to turn things around - Khan was quick to point out that not many would've given them much hope of reaching the Premier League this time last season when the side sat in 17th place in the Championship.

With so many new faces signed as well as injuries and suspensions at the start of the season - this to me seems the best course of action.

Chris Sutton then had his say: "His problem is he spent over £100million."

No he didn't.

Sutton continues: "They are a Premier League team with a Championship defence and that is the biggest problem."

Fulham signed Maxime Le Marchand, Calum Chambers, Alfie Mawson, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Joe Bryan to add strength to their back four, while also signing Sergio Rico and Fabri in goal.

Mawson, Chambers and Fosu-Mensah all have Premier League experience and have been raved about at one time or another in their short careers, while Bryan impressed during his time at Bristol City and gained plaudits for his performance against Manchester United in the League Cup last season.

I would not consider it to be a Championship defence by any stretch of the imagination, more a case of Jokanovic needing to find the right personnel to fill it.

He continued: "They've got Huddersfield next, if he loses that he's gone, let's make no mistake about that, I cannot see him lasting.

"It's the fact they've spent big money, and when you've spent big money you expect results."

Jake Humphry: But what if they beat Huddersfield?

"But they are the margins - it's the way they're conceding goals which is alarming so that fact there were another three goals on Saturday, 28 this season.

"You don't have to be a genius to work out that is absolutely relegation form, so maybe they need a different voice."

You think so now?

"I think so."

Owen Hargreaves :

"No, I don't think so whatsoever.

"Obviously they've had a disaster of a start to the season, conceding 28 goals in ten games, which is a record, is beyond poor, but the point is they need a change in style and philosophy.

"They're too open."

Hargreaves makes the strongest point in this debate - Jokanovic doesn't have a particular style, instead implementing the free flowing football of the past two seasons because it suited the players.

That's what he's trying to do now when he talks about 'finding the solution' - he has been given 12 new players, as well as those that remain from last season, and he's been given very little time to find a philosophy that suits them.

What Sutton says next is correct, it is down to the manager, but changing that and implementing a new coach means new ideas and tactics that they have to get on board with, essentially starting from scratch.

Sutton: But that's down to the manager!

Hargreaves: "That's what I mean, but he's got to say look guys, we're playing a bit naive here coming into the Premier League thinking we're going to blow people away.

"Wolves are doing that, but they aren't doing that, they're conceding too many goals.

"Get people back, become more defensive, they're too open - as a team you have to defend."

Sutton: But if you're the owner you're looking at it like this, I've given you £100m, this is the return, this isn't good enough.

"But the point is the owner is saying play the guys that I've bought for £100m, yeah I've done that for ten games, it isn't working, now we need to say we need to shore up a bit, get some points.

"They've got five points, they win two or three games, I agree with John, he needs at least six or seven games, he'll get them out of it."

Jake Humphry: But why will he get them out of it?

"Because I think there's a decent squad of players there and I think that they style that they're playing, they're conceding far too many goals and that's not just the goalkeeper or the back four, that's the whole team, they're too open and there's some good players."

Again, Hargreaves makes a good point here - Fulham don't have a squad of bad players.

Jean-Michael Seri, Tom Cairney, Aleksandar Mitrovic, these are Premier League players, regardless of the position they find themselves in at this moment in time.

There is a squad there that is good enough to get the side out of trouble, but they need to bond as a team and start pulling together for one another.

Hartson: "A couple of wins takes the heat right off, there's so many teams, you look at Leicester, West Ham, Burnley, Palace, they're all in and around and only three points ahead of Fulham.

"It's getting them wins, I know, but if a Schurrle turns up and hits in a freekick and the defenders just defend for their lives in one particular game, that will win.

"Look at Cardiff, I know they got thumped at Liverpool but they beat Fulham last weekend and that will give the whole club, Neil Warnock a huge boost, to think they can win a Premier League game.

"I think if you cans string that two wins together it can shoot you right away from that bottom three."

Hartson is correct here, if you look at the Premier League table, there are only three points between Fulham in 18th and West Ham in 13th.

If they can go out and beat Huddersfield, that gives them some breathing space from the bottom of the table and puts them right in the mix with the likes of Crystal Palace and Leicester City.

It will also take the pressure right off Jokanovic - despite a poor start, all of sudden it won't look too bad from a Fulham perspective and they can start building up some momentum to start getting points on the board.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/bt-sport-analysis-sums-up-15342181

WhiteJC

Back The Boys

Thursday kicks off a hat-trick of away fixtures for the Whites, as we hit the road for three matches in 11 days.

First up we're back at the Etihad Stadium this Thursday 1st November, with tickets against the current holders of the Carabao Cup Manchester City priced at just £10 for adults and £5 for concessions.

Also on General Sale are tickets for our Monday night meeting with Huddersfield Town on the 5th. The John Smith's Stadium has been a happy hunting ground for the Whites over the years, and with the Terriers just two points below us in the table, it promises to be a big night in West Yorkshire.

We then conclude the week at Anfield on Sunday 11th November, our first trip to the famous ground in more than five years. Around 500 of our 3,000 allocation remain available, and these can be purchased by any fan with a booking history.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/october/29/back-the-boys

WhiteJC

Fulham Convincingly Quash Canaries

Fulham Under-23s emphatically got back to winning ways as they put four past Norwich at Carrow Road.

A brace from Cameron Thompson accompanied Matt O'Riley's strike and Cody Drameh's lovely chip to seal a perfect win.

A minute silence was observed before kick-off to mark the tragic events in Leicester last weekend.

Fulham started the game on the front foot as Thompson was presented with a O'Riley cut back, the Norwich defence got in well to smother the danger.

It took a while for the hosts to find their stride, but when they did, Aron Davies was on hand. He flung himself at a teasing cross to take it off the head of Anthony Spyrou. From the resulting corner, Jerome Opoku headed off his own crossbar and Fulham survived.

The Young Whites were forced to defend their goal for a short spell. A well worked move saw Drameh spring into life to cut out Spyrou's lay-off.

Fulham rode the wave and started to put together some dangerous attacks of their own. Nicolas Santos-Clase spun away from his man and was brought down 20-yards out. O'Riley got too much on his free kick and bent it over the top.

Luca Ashby-Hammond made his first meaningful save at full stretch past half an hour. The stopper got fingers to a curling shot from Alfie Payne which was destined for the top corner.

The breakthrough came as more gaps between the lines were exposed. Tyrese Francois was played in behind – his cross was bundled home by Thompson to end his goal drought.

The lead was doubled shortly after. Jaydn Mundle-Smith had been causing problems for a while and his cross was spilled by Jon McCracken under pressure, O'Riley was given the simple task of tapping home.

Norwich pressed self-destruct at the back as Caleb Richards played a suicidal pass in his own area - Santos-Clase's effort was deflected behind. That proved to be the last action of the half as the Young Whites took in a comfortable lead.

The second half begun with another flurry of attacks. Jayden Harris flashed across the box after Drameh's run set up the dangerous position.

The Canaries came out of their shells to try and salvage a route back. Isak Thorvaldsson's cross was inches away from the toe of Spyrou, but Ashby-Hammond gathered.

As Norwich pushed for a leveller, gaps appeared. Drameh added a superb third as he spotted McCracken off his line to emphatically lob the 'keeper from a tight angle.

Ashby-Hammond was called into action again as Norwich looked to respond. Substitute Devante Aransibia's shot was beaten away with a one-handed stop as The Canaries were held at bay.

Harris found a lucky deflected pass come into his path from a sideways ball, but he could only put his shot into the side netting.  Thompson added his second of the night as he waltzed past a few challenges before rounding McCracken and slamming home from close range.

The last few minutes were routine for Fulham as they saw out an impressive win under the lights.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/pl2/2018_2019/league/away/norwich-city

WhiteJC

Latest Fulham injury news as Slavisa Jokanovic nears a fully fit squad

Fulham have a number of players in the treatment room at the moment - here's who is out injured

In what has been a poor month for Fulham there is one encouraging sign - their injury list is growing ever shorter.

Saturday's defeat to AFC Bournemouth saw both Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Tom Cairney return from injury, with the Manchester United loanee starting the game while Cairney came on as a substitute during the second half.

Fosu-Mensah completed the entire 90 minutes, whilst Cairney played half an hour and saw lots of the ball after coming on when the score was at 1-0.

Slavisa Jokanovic said in the week how he was happy that he finally had a near-fully fit side to work with for the first time this season, after late arrivals, injuries and suspensions have seen his teamsheets a mismatch of players and formations so far this season.

Joe Bryan is the only player that remains out with injury in the first team squad as he continues his recovery from a hamstring injury he suffered against Everton back in September, while Marlon Fossey is also out long-term.

Calum Chambers limped off in the defeat to Cardiff City, but he only missed one day of training in the week leading up to the Bournemouth loss and was fit for that game.

Here's a look at who is out injured and their possible return dates.

Joe Bryan

The summer signing from Bristol City opened his Fulham account in the Carabao Cup win over Millwall but limped off with a hamstring injury in the 3-0 defeat to Everton.

It was his first league start since the end of August in the win over Burnley, but he limped off with just over five minutes remaining at Goodison after tweaking his hamstring.

After the game, Jokanovic confirmed the injury and that Bryan would be outside the squad for a 'few weeks': "Joe Bryan has a hamstring problem and will be a few weeks outside of the squad".

He travelled to Barcelona during the international break to undergo tests on his injury and is now back in England to continue his recovery.

Bryan stepped up his recovery last week as he started to work on the grass at Motspur Park, but he is still some way from full fitness.

Marlon Fossey

Fulham's youngster impressed in the pre-season friendlies prior to the start of the season but picked up an anterior cruciate ligament injury in training that has seen him ruled out for the foreseeable future.

He underwent surgery and has recently had his leg in a brace, but has been at Motspur Park working with Fulham's fitness coaches as he starts the long road to recovery.

Unfortunately, Fossey won't be back training with the first team until the New Year.

Players recently returned to first team action:

Tom Cairney (ankle injury)

Timothy Fosu-Mensah (shoulder injury)

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-injury-news-joe-bryan-15225190

WhiteJC

It's Just The Kind Of Game Fulham Will Go And Win

With Fulham caught in the midst of a run of form that has seen them plummet into the relegation places, in the Premier League, perhaps a change of competition is exactly what we need when it comes to the next match.

But, with a Carabao Cup tie to be played in midweek that might not be the case when you consider that Manchester City are the opposition.

However, could it be just the kind of game whereby Fulham produce the unexpected and get a result?

I'd like to hope so!

There's no doubting that Manchester City, this season, have higher priorities than winning the Carabao Cup and with Pep Guardiola's side taking on Tottenham Hotspur, at Wembley, in a Premier League match on Monday evening, we could suggest that Fulham will face a weakened side at the Etihad Stadium.

But, even if that is the case, Fulham will have to be on top of their game, there can be none of those familiar defensive lapses and any chances that fall our way must be taken with clinical precision.

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/its-just-the-kind-of-game-fulham-will-go-and-win/

WhiteJC

Fulham's rejection was 'difficult to swallow' for Chelsea's Kalas

Tomas Kalas has admitted that he found it hard to accept Fulham's decision not to keep him at the club after he helped them gain promotion.

The 25-year-old Chelsea defender is now on a season-long loan at Bristol City, but played a major part in helping the Whites reach the Premier League last season.

The Czech Republic international formed a formidable centre-back partnership with Tim Ream, but was deemed surplus to requirements in the summer

"If they'd wanted me at Fulham, I would have stayed, but they didn't," he told West London Sport.

"It was difficult to swallow. But obviously that's not the end of my career, and I'd rather get promoted with a team that wants me. It would be quite nice to settle down after eight years of being abroad, but not spending longer than two years at one place.

"I obviously wanted to stay there, because that would be a step forward in my career and I would have been in a club that I've spent two years with.

"But I wasn't getting my hopes up too high because exactly the same thing happened with Middlesbrough two years before. We got promoted and I loved the club and nothing happened afterwards.

"I was so loyal to Fulham. They knew I wanted to stay and nothing happened. They spent, I don't know how much money, on new defenders."

And given the woeful consequences of a much-changed defensive line-up at the Cottage this season, that decision looks even more perplexing with Fulham having lost seven of their 10 league games so far.

The Czech Republic international formed a formidable centre-back partnership with Tim Ream, but was deemed surplus to requirements in the summer

"If they'd wanted me at Fulham, I would have stayed, but they didn't," he told West London Sport.

"It was difficult to swallow. But obviously that's not the end of my career, and I'd rather get promoted with a team that wants me. It would be quite nice to settle down after eight years of being abroad, but not spending longer than two years at one place.

"I obviously wanted to stay there, because that would be a step forward in my career and I would have been in a club that I've spent two years with.

"But I wasn't getting my hopes up too high because exactly the same thing happened with Middlesbrough two years before. We got promoted and I loved the club and nothing happened afterwards.

"I was so loyal to Fulham. They knew I wanted to stay and nothing happened. They spent, I don't know how much money, on new defenders."

And given the woeful consequences of a much-changed defensive line-up at the Cottage this season, that decision looks even more perplexing with Fulham having lost seven of their 10 league games so far.

"People may look at it and say 'you signed for the money and could have gone somewhere for less money, where you could settle down', but I don't think you'd find a person who wouldn't have done the same thing.

"They deserve loyalty from me and I'm thankful that they brought me into big-time football and obviously as long as it makes sense, I'll keep loyal to them and keep faith that maybe one day I can become a first-team player – though obviously we have to be realistic and not live 'in the sky.'

At least Chelsea are keeping tabs on the Czech, as he starts a new challenge in the West Country – following a path trodden so successfully not so long ago by Tammy Abraham, and which has also enticed fellow Blues player Jay Dasilva.

"A couple of days ago, Paulo Ferreira [technical coach at Chelsea] was here at the Hull game to find out how I'm settling down – bringing some analysis about the game, and trying to help me improve myself," Kalas said.

"Obviously they've got so many players on loan, so it's not easy to be in touch every single day or even every single week, because they have to go around the whole of Europe to see everyone. But at least they show we are not forgotten."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/kalas-realistic-about-his-chelsea-chances-and-admits-not-joining-fulham-was-difficult-to-swallow

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 3/11
Our first Monday evening game sees us travelling to Huddersfield
Who decides on these idiotic fixtures where the opposing team has to travel so far for a non-weekend fixture? I can understand 'local' games being midweek however expecting fans to take time off work both before and after the game shows that its no longer about the supporter, by the time they get home it'll be the early hours!

Anyhow, this must be an away game that Slaviša has penciled in as a possible win, after recent results we need to get some points and as the next away game at Liverpool I think we'll be travelling more in hope than expectation?

Lets see if the team can provide the fireworks on the pitch

Games of Interest
Saturday 3rd
Cardiff v Leicester
Everton v Brighton
Newcastle v Watford

Sunday 4th
Chelsea v Palace

Monday 5th
Huddersfield v Fulham

COYW

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=457

WhiteJC

Why Rodgers Should Target This Fulham Forward To Finally Replace Dembele For Celtic

Celtic are not having the best of form despite a few encouraging outcomes in the league in recent weeks. They have claimed a double treble over past two seasons under Brendan Rodgers, but their supremacy seems to be under threat this term following the resurgence of Rangers and a spirited display from Hearts in early months.

Injuries and an underwhelming business work have hindered the Hoops from making steady progress, and the management now must monitor the market for the next couple of months before making reinforcements in the winter window.

The Parkhead side allowed star striker Moussa Dembele to return to his country and join Ligue 1 giants Olympique Lyonnais in a  £19.7m deadline day transfer. No alternative of the Frenchman was lined up before the window was slammed shut as the gaffer opted to rely on Odsonne Edouard and Leigh Griffiths as his centre-forward options.

Edouard, the club-record summer signing from PSG had a decent loan spell last season. But the disappointing run of Leigh Griffith has piled the pressure up on the France youth international and an out-and-out goalscorer should be chased in January when the window reopens to perform transfer business.

Fulham outcast Aboubakar Kamara should be viewed as a quality option who is looking for game-time and has rarely been relied upon by boss Slaviša Jokanović since their promotion to Premier League. The Frenchman has played only 243 minutes of league football, and the addition of Luciano Vietto and Aleksandar Mitrovic has sent Kamra further down the pecking order.

The 23-year-old centre-forward scored a brace against Exeter City in an EFL Cup Second Round fixture a couple of months back but should consider his future if minutes are assured elsewhere.

Kamara is capable of featuring down the wings, and his finishing trait makes him suited for a place in Rodgers' Celtic side. A loan move should be the best possible deal for all parties involved as it would allow the Hoops to buy some time before making the final call. He might not have earned Jokanović's faith to flourish in Premier League football, but the prospect of Scottish Premiership must not be turned down considering the challenges it would offer regarding Celtic's title defence.

The attacker progressed through the youth ranks of AS Monaco and impressed in the lower leagues of French football before completing a move to Craven Cottage last summer. Although he has been tied down on a long-term contract, Fulham should let the player leave in January if the manager does not fancy him in his future plans. Kamara has a bright career road ahead of him but needs regular minutes to justify his talent. A transfer to Celtic makes complete sense, and the champions of Scotland must explore the option of having the Frenchman to replace his compatriot Moussa Dembele in attacking third.

https://the4thofficial.net/2018/10/why-rodgers-should-target-this-fulham-forward-to-finally-replace-dembele-for-celtic/

WhiteJC

Sessegnon and Schurrle to start – Predicted 4-3-3 Fulham XI to face Manchester City in the Carabao Cup

Predicted 4-3-3 Fulham XI to face Manchester City in the Carabao Cup

Fulham continued their disappointing run in the Premier League with a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Bournemouth on Saturday.

With only a single win from their first ten games in the Premier League, the Cottagers sit 18th in the standings and they will need to get their campaign back on track if they are to survive relegation this term.

Slavisa Jokanovic's men overcame Millwall in the third round of the Carabao Cup but they will have a tough battle in their hands when they face Manchester City in the round of 16 encounter on Thursday.

Manchester City have already beaten the Cottagers once in the Premier League this season and they will be the strong favourites to progress to the last eight.

Team News

Kevin McDonald picked up two yellow cards against Bournemouth on Saturday and he will be suspended for the Carabao Cup tie. Joe Bryan continues his recovery from a thigh injury and is unlikely to feature on Thursday.

Formation: 4-3-3
Manager: Slavisa Jokanovic
Predicted XI
Marcus Bettinelli (GK)

He was replaced by Sergio Rico for the game against Bournemouth but should return to the eleven for the Carabao Cup fixture.
Cyrus Christie (RB)

Timothy Fosu-Mensah might be rested for the Premier League game on Monday and that would open the door for the Irishman to improve on his poor displays so far in the season.
Tim Ream (CB)

He has looked comfortable in possession but hasn't been able to deal with the flow of attacks. However, Jokanovic doesn't have too many choices and should hope for him to improve.
Maxime Le Marchand (CB)

He did not do too well as a right-back but is likely to flourish in his regular centre-back role.
Ryan Sessegnon (LB)

He will have to play a key role in both halves if Fulham are to have any chance of upsetting Manchester City.
Andre-Frank Anguissa (CDM)

He did not start against Bournemouth but his strength and tackling is definitely an asset to the team in central midfield.
Stefan Johansen (LCM)

Warmed the bench against Bournemouth but will be expected to play an important role in the midfield on Thursday.
Tom Cairney (RCM)

He came off the bench this weekend in the Premier League but the Cottagers will need his creativity in midfield when they face City.
Aboubakar Kamara (RW)

He started in the Premier League this weekend. Strong and powerful in the final third, Fulham will need him to come good in the Carabao Cup.
Andre Schurrle (LW)

The German has been in good form in the Premier League and has netted on four occasions. Fulham will need him to come up with something special on Thursday.
Aleksandar Mitrovic (ST)

The Serbian will need to fire on all cylinders if Fulham are to have any realistic chance of putting up a fight.

http://www.mediareferee.com/2018/10/30/sessegnon-and-schurrle-to-start-predicted-4-3-3-fulham-xi-to-face-manchester-city-in-the-carabao-cup/

WhiteJC

Manchester United must recall Timothy Fosu-Mensah from Fulham loan shambles

Timothy Fosu-Mensah is a bright prospect who could be playing for the first team by now if Jose Mourinho had more faith in him.

Instead he is on loan at Fulham and it is a move which could derail his career.

Fosu-Mensah returned to action for Fulham at the weekend after injury and struggled in their terrible defence.

He can help them out, but he can't single handedly improve such a terrible backline, and is being dragged down with them.

Fulham shipped four goals against Cardiff a week ago and this weekend conceded three to Bournemouth. With 28 goals against, their defence is the worst in the Premier League.

Being part of this defensive unit is no good for Fosu-Mensah.

Different option

United need to take matters into their own hands and recall the Dutch international from Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

If Jose Mourinho does not have plans for the defender himself, then he should arrange another loan spell for the second half of the season.

United would be better off sending Fosu-Mensah to a top team abroad in Germany or Spain.

It has to be a smarter option than seeing his confidence drain and reputation damaged by being part of a woeful Fulham defence.

The objective is to improve Fosu-Mensah so he can challenge for United's first team next season. He is not currently on course to do so.

Last year's spell at Crystal Palace didn't help him. This looks like more of the same, potentially worse. United must shake things up.

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/united-must-recall-fosu-mensah/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa beating Fulham to complete this £2m deal in January would be a shrewd move

Why Aston Villa must make a January swoop for Saidy Janko

According to Birmingham Live, Aston Villa, Wolves and Fulham are keen on Nottingham Forest's on-loan defender Saidy Janko.

The 23-year-old is currently on a season-long loan from Porto and has made an impressive start to his time at the City Ground. He has played five times so far this season, with Nottingham Forest winning twice and drawing three times when he has featured.

The report claims Saidy Janko could be available for around £2million, with interest in the player soaring with every passing week.

Aston Villa should look to get their icy hands on Janko by paying £2million once the transfer window reopens. New Villa boss Dean Smith would face a big January and he should utilise it by rebuilding the squad.

Smith has a lot of work to be done at Villa Park but the defence is the area he must prioritise strengthening in January.

Aston Villa's defence has been one of the shakiest in the Championship this season. Villa are terribly short on quality when it comes to defence and Smith has a work cut out for him. While central defenders have struggled, Villa's full-backs have not done any favours as well.

Alan Hutton has been Villa's best full-back in the last few seasons but he is slowly coming to the end of his career. Ahmed Elmohamady has done very well this season but he has entered his 30s.

Axel Tuanzebe is capable of playing as a full-back but he is on a season-long loan from Manchester United, meaning Villa are apparently short of options as far as the full-back department is concerned.

Saidy Janko could be an impressive buy for the Villans. Having started his youth career with FC Zurich, Janko moved to Manchester United in 2013 but failed to make a single appearance for them. He had spells with Celtic, Bolton, Barnsley and Saint Etienne before signing for FC Porto earlier this summer.

The 23-year-old, now on loan with Nottingham Forest, is primarily a right-back but is also comfortable playing further forward or as a wing-back. He is a modern-day full-back, known for his tenacity and work rate.

Janko can bomb forward with pace, deliver crosses into the box and defend diligently as well. He is a player blessed with a good technique, which allows him to do well in both halves.

Janko does not have the lightning pace to drift past players with ease but he compensates with his positional awareness and judgement. He is also a good tackler and wins the ball more often than not.

Hence, a player of Janko's quality would do Aston Villa a world of good. Although he is just 23 and has a long way to go, the Swiss ace has shown promising signs this season and Villa must make a move for him in January.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/10/30/aston-villa-beating-fulham-to-complete-this-2m-deal-in-january-would-be-a-shrewd-move/

WhiteJC

Fulham to splash the cash in January in bid to stay in the Premier League but Slavisa Jokanovic may not spend it

There is growing pressure on Slavisa Jokanovic to get more out of his players
    Jokanovic has had a contract extension on table for weeks but has not signed
    Owner Shahid Khan has given the impression he intends to stick with the Serb

Fulham will re-open their chequebook to fend off relegation in January, but there is internal doubt over whether Slavisa Jokanovic is the man to spend it.

Having spent in-excess of £100million on improving the squad, as well as lifting the club's wage ceiling over the summer, there is increasing pressure on Jokanovic amid concerns he is not extracting the most out of the players.

The Cottagers are currently in the bottom three following a difficult to start to the season.

Fulham will splash the cash in January but Slavisa Jokanovic may not be the man to spend it

Despite the significant financial outlay, there remains funds available to add additions in the winter transfer window - and Fulham are prepared to spend again to give themselves the best chance of staying up.

But whether Jokanovic is in charge in January remains to be seen. The Serb has grown frustrated at his lack of input in regards to the club's transfer policy.

However, it is understood the currently unwilling to relinquish any power in terms of which players the club sign.

A new contract extension has been on the table for Jokanovic to sign for several weeks - but the former Watford boss has so far refused to sign the deal - his lack of control of transfers believed to be a reason behind his hesitancy.

The likelihood of Jokanovic signing the contract any time soon seems remote given their poor form.

Shahid Khan has given the impression that he intends to back Jokanovic — for now

Jokanovic is not said to be under any immediate danger of losing his job; indeed owner Shahid Khan attended Saturday's 3-0 loss to Bournemouth leaving club officials with the impression that he intends to, for now, back Jokanovic.

However, there is a feeling a loss to Huddersfield this weekend could spark a change of heart.

Sources insist the players are firmly with Jokanovic and believe he is still the man to turn lead the club forward.

But the fact Fulham have conceded 28 goals in just 11 games this season is causing obvious concern.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6331379/Fulham-splash-cash-January-bid-stay-Premier-League.html

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: Fulham vs. Bournemouth
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our post match show of the 3-0 loss for Fulham against Bournemouth. During the show, co-hosts Max Cohen and Mike Gregg, analyzed the key moments of this match.

.You can also listen to the show here...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/10/30/18040572/cottage-talk-post-match-show-fulham-vs-bournemouth

F.luke

If united really want Mensah back I,ll personally drive him

I doubt it very much, good althelete but not a footballer atm