watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My post Man City thoughts

Started by Matt10, November 02, 2018, 04:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowNothing

Thank you! For being positive and critical. A nice change of pace from the usual knee jerk reactions.
The fast tempo and physicality of playing in the EPL is definitely a culture shock for many of these players from France and Spain etc. I can see why you want more simplicity.

Southcoastffc

I didn't see any of the game so very interested to read such a considered post, rather than the many knee jerk emotional responses.  One question please: how was Fosu-mensah's positioning? In the games in which I've seen him so far, his positioning too often has been a liability.  Something which should be possible to coach out of him.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

cmg

Thanks for that.
Thoughtful, informative, well considered, constructive and (thankfully!) devoid of histrionics and cliche.

Russianrob

We gave a good account of ourselves.

Matt10

Quote from: nose on November 02, 2018, 12:12:57 PM
good post but do not agree with some of it... but love the pics. they show during the sequence that fosu/serri/anguiss are rooted to the spot and make barely nay attempt to get themselves in the box to help, i.e. they have given up! if teywould have tracked back, then there was a good chance that atleast one of them might have got a challenge in, if nothing else they would have added pressure on the player shooting.... fossu is dreadful in the sequesnce, anguissa as a supposed defensive midfielder not much better and serri as a quality addition has to do more in this respect.... that is why we let in so many goals, or at least one reason, the players are simply not trying anywhere near hard enough.  as for schurrle, i do not hate him, he is talented but totally selfish and not a tem plyer as was evident throughout the game, prefering to attempt impossible shots rather than using the overlapping player...we should get rid of him he destabilises the team.... how strange vietto posp up with such a refreshingly good performance... him TC and sess at least looked the part and put in the effort.

To be fair, that was the only time those players did not track back. However, it doesn't excuse them being switched off in the casual way that they did. That's the issue I had with it. It's like the aura of apathy just passed between them in one moment - and that was it. It undid a lot of hardwork that Vietto had put in to defend Sane and tackle the ball away. I'm sure people blame Ream somehow there, but look at the picture, it's 1v1 in the box, I mean...that's not team defending at all.

Regarding Schurrle, the way I see it. We rarely got into Man City's defensive third, let alone box area. All hard work was put in to get to that point, and if we don't come away with it because of an extra pass gets defended or deflected, or give the Man City press to overwhelm everyone, then there is no loss in shooting. Schurrle did not miss a pass, because he looks for security in possession. It's not his role to be the creative passer. With that said, I disagreed with his last shot, which was a poor strike off-frame. FWIW, he did pass to Sess multiple times, and did pass to him on the overlap once. Like I said though, we rarely visited their defensive third or box.

nose returns

Quote from: Matt10 on November 02, 2018, 02:33:56 PM
Quote from: nose on November 02, 2018, 12:12:57 PM
good post but do not agree with some of it... but love the pics. they show during the sequence that fosu/serri/anguiss are rooted to the spot and make barely nay attempt to get themselves in the box to help, i.e. they have given up! if teywould have tracked back, then there was a good chance that atleast one of them might have got a challenge in, if nothing else they would have added pressure on the player shooting.... fossu is dreadful in the sequesnce, anguissa as a supposed defensive midfielder not much better and serri as a quality addition has to do more in this respect.... that is why we let in so many goals, or at least one reason, the players are simply not trying anywhere near hard enough.  as for schurrle, i do not hate him, he is talented but totally selfish and not a tem plyer as was evident throughout the game, prefering to attempt impossible shots rather than using the overlapping player...we should get rid of him he destabilises the team.... how strange vietto posp up with such a refreshingly good performance... him TC and sess at least looked the part and put in the effort.

To be fair, that was the only time those players did not track back. However, it doesn't excuse them being switched off in the casual way that they did. That's the issue I had with it. It's like the aura of apathy just passed between them in one moment - and that was it. It undid a lot of hardwork that Vietto had put in to defend Sane and tackle the ball away. I'm sure people blame Ream somehow there, but look at the picture, it's 1v1 in the box, I mean...that's not team defending at all.

Regarding Schurrle, the way I see it. We rarely got into Man City's defensive third, let alone box area. All hard work was put in to get to that point, and if we don't come away with it because of an extra pass gets defended or deflected, or give the Man City press to overwhelm everyone, then there is no loss in shooting. Schurrle did not miss a pass, because he looks for security in possession. It's not his role to be the creative passer. With that said, I disagreed with his last shot, which was a poor strike off-frame. FWIW, he did pass to Sess multiple times, and did pass to him on the overlap once. Like I said though, we rarely visited their defensive third or box.

I am not sure I agree regarding tracking back. I think it is hit and miss, sometimes they do, sometimes they do not but for players likem anguissa and fossu it should be a matter of course, 100% of the time.
My problem with schurrle is that he is entirely focused on being able to get a shot away no matter what, and by that i is a shot for him. he delays the play and takes on ridiculous attempts in the process costing us dear. his firts attempt in the first half was completey selfish and against the best interest f the team, he is flash harry personified. It is a great shame because in a game of so few opportunities you just have to do the right thing for the team, he does not IMO. He also does not suipport mitro at all and it seems to me there is becoming a biot of a 'no love lost' between them stuation. i suspect a man that gives everything for the team is not hppy with one that is not.... that is my opinion... schurrle is no dioubt very talented and has the ability to turn games for us but we need him more focussed and with more application.

I do like the look of vietto and I suspect he will be a very good player,, he needs a goal or two under his belt and I think he will fly, I hope so!

WindyCity

The TO offers a nice, positive (spin) analysis on the City game.  One of the most glaring omissions though, under negatives, were the many, many easily given up possessions.  "And another ball easily given up" I think was said by the broadcaster at least 50 times during the game.  (Well, I exaggerate a bit on 50, but you get the idea.). I think that was one of the most frustrating things watching this game.  Sure, City is a great team (even though they fielded their 2nd/3rd team), but how easily, and more importantly, how often the ball was given up by the Cottagers just isn't acceptable at this level.

bog

Quote from: Matt10 on November 02, 2018, 11:03:58 AM
Aw shucks, thanks, guys. I saw 11 replies, and I wasn't quite ready to get into a scuffle yet (it's 5 AM here!). Glad to hear it's not showing as wasted breath or any bias. I really do approach it with giving everyone a chance and try not to generalize without explaining specifics.

Quote from: bog on November 02, 2018, 09:52:20 AM
Excellent posting Mat. Did we nearly score right at the end when Sess set up Mitro?

092.gif

Yes, Sess could have gone down the sideline, but cut in and passed the ball square to Mitro, but the shot was just slightly deflected. Christie was on the backpost. I feel like he could have stretched or slid into the ball to give any kind of shot on frame, but he let it roll out for a corner. If that was Vietto, I'm sure he would have stretched as much as he could to get there. The corner, for some odd reason, was a short one. It's funny because the camera panned to Mitro this whole time, and he's motioning for a cross from the corner, but Seri and Sess play it short and eventually Fosu-Mensah is caught offsides. Go figure!

They said that on the commentary about taking a short corner and wasting it. With Mitro he thrives on crosses so when we get a chance to get the ball in his direction we faff about! Thanks Mat.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 02, 2018, 12:41:36 PM
I didn't see any of the game so very interested to read such a considered post, rather than the many knee jerk emotional responses.  One question please: how was Fosu-mensah's positioning? In the games in which I've seen him so far, his positioning too often has been a liability.  Something which should be possible to coach out of him.

This is an interesting point because you could very much say the same thing about Christie.  I suspect they are told to push on and unlike Sess, have not sorted out how to do that but still provide cover.  Not rocket science though is it !

Woolly Mammoth

Prior to the Man City Match on Thursday a number of bright sparks came on the forum, talking about what a waste of time and energy this match was, and a thrashing of epic proportions was on the cards. As the player could have their confidence shot even further and pick up a few extra cuts and bruises in the process, and further more wanted them to stay at Motspur Park wrapped up in cotton wool saving their energy loafing around scratching their nether regions.
Despite the fact that I expressed the advantages of a midweek run out is better than stretching their legs at training, some disagreed profusely and were scared yes shaking with fear, that our players wouldn't get enough rest, and Huddersfield would get 9 days.
They are not paid to rest, they can do that when they retire, it's not a holiday camp.
As it turned out, which was obvious even to a Garden Gnome with a wooden leg, that it would be an important run out for all and sundry no matter the result.
More positives than negatives especially as it was Man City away.
No problem, we will be better for it, hiding under the bedclothes from the big bad wolf will not prevent him from eating you.
It's character building to get into the habit of going toe to toe with the opponent, it breeds confidence and courage and team spirit if you know what it feels like to lose together, but still rise up from the deck as one, and bounce back.
Hanging around the training Ground looking bored stiff is not for conquerors, only for the conquered.   
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.