Main Menu

Danny Skips ITV Spot

Started by White Noise, October 12, 2010, 12:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Outspoken Fulham skipper Danny Murphy skips his ITV date

By Charles Sale

Last updated at 12:01 AM on 12th October 2010

Fulham captain Danny Murphy, brave enough to speak out against violent football tactics by naming the guilty managers, has made a late withdrawal from a TV pundit's role for tonight's England match after talks with his club boss.

Murphy's articulate comments at the Leaders in Football conference last week, suggesting that Blackburn's Sam Allardyce, Stoke's Tony Pulis and Wolves' Mick McCarthy send out teams 'so pumped up there are inevitably going to be problems' caused controversy but enhanced his reputation as a great talker with a big media career ahead of him.

His next TV appearance was due to be in the ITV studio for their live coverage of the Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro. But Murphy pulled out following a conversation with Fulham manager Mark Hughes after training on Monday.

Fulham and Murphy's agents WMG say the decision was 'by mutal consent'. But the Premier League club did not want their captain adding fuel to the fire he has started, especially after the rent-a-quote, one-eyed League Managers Association called his views 'inappropriate'.

Murphy, described by Fulham as 'a great ambassador for the club', is more than capable of making up his own mind about what he says on air.

But as he said: 'Your manager decides what his players do and how you behave.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1319688/CHARLES-SALE-Outspoken-Fulham-skipper-Danny-Murphy-skips-ITV-date.html?ITO=1490#ixzz128xMkzz3

AlFayedsChequebook

I think this is unfortunate and he is not able to defend himself from the criticism but I can see why MH had a word. MH wants Danny to focus on the football.

Personally I would rather he went on and continued with his well reasoned arguments.

White Noise

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on October 12, 2010, 12:36:28 PM
I think this is unfortunate and he is not able to defend himself from the criticism but I can see why MH had a word. MH wants Danny to focus on the football.

Personally I would rather he went on and continued with his well reasoned arguments.

Its a no-win situation though isn't it? The public discussion will probably lead nowhere and Danny will be come Public Enemy No.1 amongst the psycho fraternity. Danny doesn't need some slanging match with a shite for brains ex-pro on live TV. He has made his point and maybe the Karl henry's of this world will b a little more aware that they are being watched. I don't expect McCarthy, Pulis or anyone other managr to change what they do but its been good to see the leve pf support Dany has had from the public on this. It will be interesting to see if he gets loads of stick from Spurs fans now.

Also good to see the club getting behind their Captain. He is indeed a great ambassador for the club and, as Charles Sale says in The Daily Mail, this indicates he can have a sizeable career in the media if he wants it, after retirement. 

jarv

He is hired to discuss the match in progress but no doubt he would be asked about his comments which probably is an inappropriate time. I say MH advice was good but hope DM continues his stance.
I would like to hear from the referees association next, whatever they are called.

Lighthouse

Problem is one late tackle by a Fulham player and the whole thing will be blown up again. Danny was asked not ordered and it is fair enough. At least we now have a manager who can look at the bigger picture surounding our club.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SmithyFFC

Although I agree with everything Danny has said, maybe now he will concentrate on the Football rather than leading his one man crusade on dirty tackling.
FTID

Tom

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on October 12, 2010, 04:33:07 PM
Although I agree with everything Danny has said, maybe now he will concentrate on the Football rather than leading his one man crusade on dirty tackling.
+1
Fulham for life!