News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Step in the right direction but is it enough?

Started by Rambler, November 11, 2018, 02:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.F.Sorrow

Best performance in a long time. Huge step forward. If Sess had buried his chance and Mitro hadn't been marginally offside we could have been up 0-2 at half time. This is actually the first time this season I've started to believe we won't be relegated. Strange thing to say after a defeat but we showed a lot of potential today. And more importantly we showed more guts than the rest of the season combined. Bring on Southampton, I can't wait!!!!  049:gif

davew

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on November 11, 2018, 05:31:56 PM
Best performance in a long time. Huge step forward. If Sess had buried his chance and Mitro hadn't been marginally offside we could have been up 0-2 at half time. This is actually the first time this season I've started to believe we won't be relegated. Strange thing to say after a defeat but we showed a lot of potential today. And more importantly we showed more guts than the rest of the season combined. Bring on Southampton, I can't wait!!!!  049:gif
Look at the replay again re Mitro's goal, he was not offside!!!! Apart from that I almost agree with the rest of your posting.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Lighthouse

Well some refs would have given him offside. Mitro scored with the bit of his body that was offside so it was close at best. The first Liverpool goal should not have stood needless to say as the ball was moving when the keeper took it. But we are hanging on to threads here. We should have defended better that first goal whoever we were playing.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Statto

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 11, 2018, 02:13:38 PM
What today proved is we have decent players. If played in the right way  and the right positions than we have half a chance. But I am not convinced we will not see a complete change with Sess position changed again, a complete change at the back. It was better but I am not sure if it proved more than the players are not the real problem.

Something you often moan about, and I will admit it is a reasonable moan, is posters on here giving the manager credit when we do well but the players the blame when we do poorly. But surely now you are doing the opposite, which is just as bad. We've been playing poorly of late and you seem to me to have generally blamed the manager, not the players. But now we play (half) a decent game, you say this "proves we have decent players" and credit them, not the manager.

Sorry but you can't moan about Jokanovic after the poor performances, then use a good performance as another stick to beat him with.

New Kid on the Block

If we finish 18th or 19th DaveW, we'll still be relegated. Is that your prediction?

davew

Quote from: New Kid on the Block on November 12, 2018, 07:40:36 AM
If we finish 18th or 19th DaveW, we'll still be relegated. Is that your prediction?
Unfortunately yes!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

toshes mate

There was some cohesion to the team in this performance with fewer errors by individuals.  The officials were poor, and there was a Liverpool attack around the fifteen minute mark where two players were clearly offside and yet no flag, and yet flags all day long at the other end.  And then of course, there is the moving ball free kick, and Mane being called as level with the last defender for the first goal while Mitro had a hair just misplaced.

There was a moment of zero communication from Cairney who drifted away from Shaqiri in his own box and left Christie exposed for the second goal.  But, overall, there were players worthy of the shirts in this game.  Chambers and Mawson showed they can play at this level and the latter, if he stays healthy, will get better.  Chambers enabled Anguissa to look more comfortable. There were partnerships on the field, and apart from the incident mentioned above, communication.  The will was there too, but not the presence of decent officials.

Considering it was Anfield and Liverpool it was much, much better.  It was a turning point that now depends on consolidation of good work over the next couple of weeks.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Statto on November 11, 2018, 08:36:14 PM
What today proved is we have decent players. If played in the right way  and the right positions than we have half a chance. But I am not convinced we will not see a complete change with Sess position changed again, a complete change at the back. It was better but I am not sure if it proved more than the players are not the real problem.

Something you often moan about, and I will admit it is a reasonable moan, is posters on here giving the manager credit when we do well but the players the blame when we do poorly. But surely now you are doing the opposite, which is just as bad. We've been playing poorly of late and you seem to me to have generally blamed the manager, not the players. But now we play (half) a decent game, you say this "proves we have decent players" and credit them, not the manager.

Sorry but you can't moan about Jokanovic after the poor performances, then use a good performance as another stick to beat him with.

But it wasn't a good performance. It was better because we had players like Sess playing further up. We suddenly found that Chambers has a role as a DM. The fact we had one good half is repeating much of our season. I think yours and other defence of the coach has been that we have awful recruiting that bring in poor players. When we do well it is the coach somehow finding a way to use these players after months of trying things. My point is we have the players and the coach takes forever to realise that Sess should play forward and that Chambers is a better DM then a defender. A coach who works with players every day is very slow to work things out. My views have not changed. I don't need to beat the coach with a stick. I think what I see as poor tactics and at Liverpool not being beaten by 5 goals and having one decent half is considered a success and a triumph by the coach. My opinion clearly differs but I am afraid is consistent.

nose returns

Quote from: Rambler on November 11, 2018, 02:03:23 PM
1st half certainly was a good step in the right direction. The second was abject as before.

Is this enough to keep him in a job in the international break or do we change now?
Personally I'm split but if we are to change this is a good time to do it.
For me after that 1st half I would stick for now. Anything other than a win against Southampton and I would change after that.

I really do not agree that the 2nd half was abject. we were stiched up by the ref and liverpool are a brilliant team. it was easy for them once ahead to smother us. it took 25 minutes to get a head of steam up again in the 2nd half and looked bright in the last 15 minutes buit all too late. I was very encouraged because we didn't give up, kept our shape and really tried for 90 minutes

RaySmith

But wasn't the second half likely to have been a lot different if it started with us 1-0 up, as it should have done?

Going into the lead must have affected their approach and confidence, and their supporters, as did  going behind, when we should have been ahead, affect us.

It it the coach or the players? well, both, I would say. Hopefully, there  were signs yesterday, that  indicated  an improvement in team play and cohesion, and thus results,  which was  partly to do with the coach's selection, and partly to do with players becoming  more confident in playing together.

We know of the manager's track record with Fulham - of creating a successful team of players who weren't maybe the very best players in the division, and the brilliant success achieved, though it took a bit of time to get there, but when we got going.....

The Prem has presented a new challenge, with a number of new players, necessarily- and maybe it's taken  until now to things to start to come together. Two decent away performances against two of the very top teams in the land - City and L'pool,  though still defeats, and early days yet.

But let's hope for the best. At least we feel there are reasons to be positive about staying up , and to keep getting behind the team.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 12, 2018, 10:19:58 AM

But it wasn't a good performance. It was better because we had players like Sess playing further up. We suddenly found that Chambers has a role as a DM. The fact we had one good half is repeating much of our season. I think yours and other defence of the coach has been that we have awful recruiting that bring in poor players. When we do well it is the coach somehow finding a way to use these players after months of trying things. My point is we have the players and the coach takes forever to realise that Sess should play forward and that Chambers is a better DM then a defender. A coach who works with players every day is very slow to work things out. My views have not changed. I don't need to beat the coach with a stick. I think what I see as poor tactics and at Liverpool not being beaten by 5 goals and having one decent half is considered a success and a triumph by the coach. My opinion clearly differs but I am afraid is consistent.
Agreed, just because it was better doesn't mean it was a good performance.

Woolly Mammoth

Goals change games, Liverpool had the good fortune to start the second half 1 0 up. If Fulham could have started the second half 1 0 up, it could have been a different game, and a different result.
Goals change games, nevertheless, there were Fulham players out there who played with pride and commitment, and that in itself is a foundation to build on.
I hope Jok has made a note of those players who did apply themselves correctly and played within the framework of the team, and forget about any personal feelings on one or two players which may have clouded his judgement when making decisions about the starting lineup.
Because one of his shortcomings I feel has been tunnel vision, not always looking at the wider picture.
A little obsessed with it's his way or the highway.
But yesterday's lineup showed he has realised that you can be flexible as opposed to being too rigid. and currently at the moment I feel injuries permitting he cannot afford to select Vieto and Schurrie and Seri at the same time, too many passengers when all three or even two are on the pitch at the KO.
Certainly not when we are fighting for our lives.
Once we start picking up clean sheets, we will start picking up points.
Clearly going by yesterday's line up and improved commitment by the team, he is reading my emails I send him giving my advice, better late than never, but he has to remember the players that will stand up and be counted, because they are the players that will save our season, not the passengers.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on November 12, 2018, 10:54:35 AM

Hmmm, not really sure what your point is. Go back over my post and swap every use of the word "good" for the word "better" if you want. Doesn't change the point i am making at all.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 12, 2018, 11:07:11 AM
Goals change games, Liverpool had the good fortune to start the second half 1 0 up. If Fulham could have started the second half 1 0 up, it could have been a different game, and a different result.
Goals change games, nevertheless, there were Fulham players out there who played with pride and commitment, and that in itself is a foundation to build on.
I hope Jok has made a note of those players who did apply themselves correctly and played within the framework of the team, and forget about any personal feelings on one or two players which may have clouded his judgement when making decisions about the starting lineup.
Because one of his shortcomings I feel has been tunnel vision, not always looking at the wider picture.
A little obsessed with it's his way or the highway.
But yesterday's lineup showed he has realised that you can be flexible as opposed to being too rigid. and currently at the moment I feel injuries permitting he cannot afford to select Vieto and Schurrie and Seri at the same time, too many passengers when all three or even two are on the pitch at the KO.
Certainly not when we are fighting for our lives.
Once we start picking up clean sheets, we will start picking up points.
Clearly going by yesterday's line up and improved commitment by the team, he is reading my emails I send him giving my advice, better late than never, but he has to remember the players that will stand up and be counted, because they are the players that will save our season, not the passengers.

Last bit is key, we need to start keeping clean sheets, we do that the worst we come away with is a point, snatch a goal and we have 3.

He has to keep the same team against Southampton, treat them with the respect we gave Liverpool, the formwation we played allowed a lot of change fmoving from defence to attack and we need to continue this in a few weeks time.

toshes mate

Just because it was better doesn't mean it was a good performance.
Compared to Huddesrfield and in the context of 'loud noises of disapproval' on here, it was good to see we can perform.  Whether or not people see it as a 'good' perfromance is a part of whatever agenda the person has right now.  My agenda is that I want to see FFC turn a corner and in terms of achieving that yesterday's game was 'good' in more aspects than it was 'bad'.  Only the result was 'bad' and the outcome could have been so very different had marginal decisions gone with us and not against us, a product of having decent officials who actually show no bias at all.  Had we been playing like that all season then I would have believed we had genuinely arrived in the PL.  Now we have to make up for the fact we have taken so long to become a 'team' for the many numerous reasons that have been discussed on here.  I also believe we need to come to terms with the fact some of the players purchased were overpriced  'luxuries' that can be ill afforded in a first season return to the PL, at least when they are thrown on the field together.   

If the players can repeat this improvement against Southampton there is no reason we cannot win, and when we start winning, confidence will return to the core squad.  That for me is why it was a good performance.

aaronmcguigan

The first half was a better performance, probably better than most the games we've played this season. Moments change matches and the players were obviously affected by going 1-0 down.

That goal should have been the opportunity to push on and right a wrong. The second half was poor, there's no two ways about that. There were some instances of Liverpool controlling the game but we played into their hands with misplaced passes and no direct intent going forward. There was always the feeling that there was no threat going forward in the second half and we played like it was 0-0. We don't seem to react to goals, react to moments in a positive way or without clear intent.

If there were 90 minutes of what I saw in the first half then I'd be delighted, if I saw 90 minutes of what happened in the 2nd half then I'd be horrified. Liverpool didn't play like worldbeaters, almost as if they done the bare minimum to get the job done .

A clean sheet has to be important against Southampton, it needs to be used as a base going forward. We can't keep chasing games as we don't react well to going behind. 
If we win at Southampton it needs to be 90 minutes effort, potency in attack, and clever players managing and controlling the match. That's what we need and that's what's been missing

Lighthouse

Quote from: Statto on November 12, 2018, 11:39:24 AM

Hmmm, not really sure what your point is. Go back over my post and swap every use of the word "good" for the word "better" if you want. Doesn't change the point i am making at all.

But I just don't agree with it. My point is the same one I have consistently made. I appreciate that you and many others love our coach and will defend him over and above everything else. If we win and put in a good performance in our next match then all of this will not matter. But the point is you and others think the coach is wonderful and the players are poor. I tend to think otherwise. So when we do ok my question is so have all the players become better? Your answer is no but the tactics and the coach have made them seem that way. We simply don't agree.

Statto

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 12, 2018, 05:30:57 PM

But I just don't agree with it. My point is the same one I have consistently made. I appreciate that you and many others love our coach and will defend him over and above everything else. If we win and put in a good performance in our next match then all of this will not matter. But the point is you and others think the coach is wonderful and the players are poor. I tend to think otherwise. So when we do ok my question is so have all the players become better? Your answer is no but the tactics and the coach have made them seem that way. We simply don't agree.
My last comment was directed at neutral zone ultra. I'm aware of your view that no matter how well Fulham do, this manager should never get any credit. That has been your view consistently, as you say, since 2015. I fully accept we disagree and that is your prerogative.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Statto on November 12, 2018, 06:39:38 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on November 12, 2018, 05:30:57 PM

My last comment was directed at neutral zone ultra. I'm aware of your view that no matter how well Fulham do, this manager should never get any credit. That has been your view consistently, as you say, since 2015. I fully accept we disagree and that is your prerogative.

What a shame you were doing so well but then you have to spoil it with a lie. This time last season when were doing badly I defended our coach and could see that with a few improvements we were on the right track. I gave him credit. This season I don't see that. But we can agree without distorting the others opinion that we want Fulham to succeed and hope they do whoever the coach is.

alfie

Quote from: fulhamben on November 11, 2018, 02:09:16 PM
Not for me. Too little too late. And wtf were the subs about. Seri for tom first, why what is Seri gonna bring. And then he followed it up with vietto for schurrle. Yes schurrle was poor again, and shouldn't be on the pitch, but why bring vietto on to play wide. Kebano was on the bench and would have been much better suited for our tactics. If anything vietto should have came on for mitro who once again added nothing in the second half.
This is where supporters that have not seen any of the game get confused - like me.
you say that Schurrie was poor again, yet on numerous threads not necessarily on this site, people saying he had a very good game, even as far as saying best he has played.
So how can supporters be so far apart in their assessment of a player.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't