watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

January window

Started by Spirit of 2000, November 11, 2018, 05:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit of 2000

We need seasoned premiership players to dig us out of this hole. An experienced centre back a must. Cahill? Also a right back. Danny Simpson from Leicester maybe? Also someone needs to replace Seri. Loftus Cheek or Drinkwater? None of these getting starts.Also proper cover for Mitro.

Woolly Mammoth

I agree, these are the kind of players we have been missing, and will put some meat on the bones.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Will the chairman be prepared to risk any more money and would the likes of Loftus Cheek and Cahill fancy a relegation battle.

Have we room for more loan deals.

Spirit of 2000

Simpson and Cahill wouldn't cost that much. Drinkwater not featuring at Chelsea and I'm sure wouldn't be mega bucks. Loftus Cheek they wouldn't sell so maybe we would need to terminate an existing loan, although I confess to not being up on the maximum loan numbers.

Statto

Would rather concentrate on integrating the players we've got before giving up and thinking about replacements.

Rico has only just started looking good. Mawson and Chambers looked better today. There's still every chance Anguissa will get better. These players clearly needed time, and in some cases, perhaps need a bit more time still.

Now I'm not saying they'll all justify what we paid for them, but I still think the biggest problem isn't who we've signed, but how late we signed them. That's down to Tony Khan and Mackintosh, not the players themselves.

Personally I think at least Mawson, Chambers and Anguissa should be given until Christmas before they are judged. Which still leaves time to buy new players in January, if they're still necessary.

bornafulhamfan

Nathaniel Clyne is the only one I would buy/try to buy. I feel that all of our signings will come good(or most of them) except for the rb position. Fosu-Mensah just isn't concentrated enough and has no passion, while Christie is championship quality rb. Other than that, I would maybe even get a very fast tricky type winger,as an alternative to Schuerrle, as I am afraid that Kebano/Kamara/Ayite just aren't good enough.

Spirit of 2000

Definitely need another centre back (a leader) and to replace Seri with a Premiership experienced grafter. Seri will be as much use as a chocolate  teapot in a relegation scrap. Plus yes a right back.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Statto on November 11, 2018, 08:44:51 PM
Would rather concentrate on integrating the players we've got before giving up and thinking about replacements.

Rico has only just started looking good. Mawson and Chambers looked better today. There's still every chance Anguissa will get better. These players clearly needed time, and in some cases, perhaps need a bit more time still.

Now I'm not saying they'll all justify what we paid for them, but I still think the biggest problem isn't who we've signed, bdut how late we signed them. That's down to Tony Khan and Mackintosh, not the players themselves.

Personally I think at least Mawson, Chambers and Anguissa should be given until Christmas before they are judged. Which still leaves time to buy new players in January, if they're still necessary.

Could not have put it better myself.   Have always said, it will take till Xmas to get things fully up to speed.  Was hoping it would be better than it has been but maybe there are signs that things are about to get better.

HV71

Now I'm not saying they'll all justify what we paid for them, but I still think the biggest problem isn't who we've signed, but how late we signed them. That's down to Tony Khan and Mackintosh, not the players themselves.

Very fair point Statto - I will attempt to see the best in Anguissa and give him time. I have had it with Fosu Mensah though  - at least Christie does his best

AnOldBrownie

Agreed.  But the team needs depth.  Premiere league quality depth.

Backup #10 that can also give something defensively, as well as a left or right back with pace.   Maybe that person will be Joe Bryan, but I don't think Slav rates Joe at this level.

Statto

Quote from: HV71 on November 11, 2018, 10:06:57 PM

Very fair point Statto - I will attempt to see the best in Anguissa and give him time. I have had it with Fosu Mensah though  - at least Christie does his best

Agreed, see my comments on the Fosu-Mensah and Anguissa thread!!! You're right, the boy just doesn't even seem to try.

Facts Not Fiction

I wouldn't be against giving the players we brought in an ultimatum.

If you aren't happy, and want to leave (Seri being the prime candidate), then we could cut both parties losses and try and move them on.

Jonaldiniho 88

But in another thread you have no problem in leaving Mawson out for 6 games? Think Slav could have played better with the hand delt to him but agree it wasn't a great hand. Surely just watching tapes of these players previous (pre Fulham) performances would give him an idea of whether they are better than our other options. I'm Slav in btw but hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes as the underperforming players have.

Statto

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on November 11, 2018, 11:10:35 PM

But in another thread you have no problem in leaving Mawson out for 6 games? Think Slav could have played better with the hand delt to him but agree it wasn't a great hand. Surely just watching tapes of these players previous (pre Fulham) performances would give him an idea of whether they are better than our other options. I'm Slav in btw but hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes as the underperforming players have.

Don't see any contradiction there.
Mawson was signed injured, having been out since what, April or May? So he was always going to take some time to get ready.
6 games into the season, Watford, he clearly still wasn't ready at that point.
So Slav has left him out for a bit longer, and now he's come in today after 11 games and finally looked half decent. 
Maybe he should have come in at 8, 9 or 10 games, I don't know, but don't see how anyone on here can really challenge Joka on that when we are not on the training ground.
In any case the point is he needed time as I said, whether it's 8, 9, 10 or 11 games...
again, do not really see where you are coming from contrasting the two threads??

Jonaldiniho 88

It's not fair to judge these players until after Christmas but it was after 45 minutes. Fully fit players have bad games. If he was fit that day and is our only prem quality CB then leaving him out for so long is as stupid as not giving him a run in the team now. That's only my opinion and I'm not saying you are wrong but after chopping and changing and it going badly you need to sit down and stick with who, when in a settled team are your best players and let them improve.

Statto

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on November 11, 2018, 11:27:35 PM
It's not fair to judge these players until after Christmas but it was after 45 minutes. Fully fit players have bad games. If he was fit that day and is our only prem quality CB then leaving him out for so long is as stupid as not giving him a run in the team now. That's only my opinion and I'm not saying you are wrong but after chopping and changing and it going badly you need to sit down and stick with who, when in a settled team are your best players and let them improve.
But I am not saying after those 45 mins he's crap and should be replaced in January.

I'm saying he's not ready yet, try again in a few weeks.

I know what you mean about getting a run in the team and have had the same moan previously, but now I am getting more inclined to give joka the benefit of the doubt and say maybe some players just need(ed) more time on the training ground getting match sharpness, learning the lingo, familiarising with teammates, practising quick short passing, the side to side build up routine etc

Jonaldiniho 88

Yeah I mean that game was 7 weeks ago (Watford) and they always say fit isn't match fit. Only way to get that is by playing. I saw more kicking the ball out from Mawson that sideways passing but I have no problem with that if that clears danger. I suppose my point is that if you are the best we have you deserve sticking with and more faith should have been shown in him. The fastest way to get to optimum level is to play the team that will get you there. I think Slav has had to eat a bit of humble pie and throw some of his philosophy out the window to stop conceding so much. I know it's not as easy as saying "he cost 20mil, he is our best CB" but I have really wanted him in the team to give him a chance for some time now.

Bryanthebroom

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 11, 2018, 09:45:30 PM
Definitely need another centre back (a leader) and to replace Seri with a Premiership experienced grafter. Seri will be as much use as a chocolate  teapot in a relegation scrap. Plus yes a right back.

Think we need a right back and a left back

Mince n Tatties

What we have to do is stop wasting money on unproven talent,example 30 million on Anguissa.
I know it was a buy out clause but Liverpool got Shaqiri for 13.7 million,and most of all has premier experience.

Tonywa

Isn't it amazing that almost everything that has gone wrong with the club in recent years can be attributed to the often poor decision-making of Tony Kahn and Alastair Mackintosh?