watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

January window

Started by Spirit of 2000, November 11, 2018, 05:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonywa

Surely Mawson is our answer to a player like Lewis Dunk and surely should have a more regular place in the side.

Spirit of 2000

100% we have to continue with Mawson as the heart of our defence. He's youngish and will get better, dominant physically which is somethign we've lacked, has premiership experience and was seriously rated at Swansea to the point of being on the verge of an international call up. I still think we need to sign a Cahill or someone with experience and who's a leader at the back in January. An experienced premiership right back is also a must. People have said Clyne from Pool which would be great but am not sure he'd want to come here in the state we're in & even then he'd cost a packet and we DO need to consider FFP even in the premiership. Danny Simpson from Leicester who's lost his place would be a much cheaper pragmatic solution.

aster

If Jokanovic had any say in the recruitment process, he surely would have signed Andrija Zivkovic, who, with his creativity and ability to invent a goal opportunity out of nowhere, is just something Fulham needs to be more deadly in attack...

Baszab

Not sure how many established premier players would want to leave cosy jobs - even if they are not regulars - and transfer into a team lying in bottom 3 - we may be better looking at championship players who are hungry - then we could be building for promotion the following season if we do go down - but please no more loanees who are not committed to a fight

filham

The big disappointments among the new players are Seri and Anguissa, two key players intended to replace Macdonald and Johansen who with Cairney formed the magnificent mid field engine room from last season.

This season's midfield has been a shadow of last season's and after a dozen matches there is no sign of Seri or Anguissa finding form, Jocanovic now has a midfield problem. Not sure we can afford to gamble on yet another big money midfielder who could flop.

Riversider

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said about Seri and Anguissa,  BUT it really grinds my gears that Tom Cairney escapes any criticism or abuse, he has been abysmal this season, not just the fact that He's doing everything at walking pace, it's his entire body language,  which for any player is unacceptable but for a Captain it's disgraceful,
What was he doing for the second Liverpool goal ? Just let his man go and allowed him to score,
Against Southampton I would actually include Seri and Anguissa before I include Cairney,
I've been supporting Fulham since 1970, and I've been wracking my brains to think of a worse Captain than Cairney, any suggestions ?
If I produced a list of the Top 20 Captains of my time, I can tell you now Cairney wouldn't be on it,
Take the arm band off him and give it to Mawson and let's get some leadership on the pitch,
Cairney has signed a 5 year contract which makes him the luckiest player in top flight football as I can't see any other club wanting him, we turned down £20 million for him (apparently) from Newcastle, what would you value him at now ?

Woolly Mammoth

Prior to the Transfer Window, we have to build the defence round Alfie Mawson, I am sure Calum Chambers will come good because these guys will stand up and fight the good fight, because this is a survival fight from this moment on. Hopefully Joe Bryan will recover in time because that left back position needs to be covered for the sake of the balance of the defence.
Players like Denis Odoi you know will give his all no matter what.
Kebano and Ayite are worthy of a chance as opposed to Schurrie, Seri and Vieto, whose ability to roll their sleeves up is currently not in their DNA.
What about Cisse, he is another warrior who is in the payroll but is a forgotten man.
If you include Johanson and McDonald in a squad to be picked from, there is a heart beat in there, amongst those players. As for Sess, he is a nailed on for starting further up the pitch.
Once that heart beat is ticking, Christie can do a job, which not only we will get the best out of him, but also Tom Cairney and Zambo will up their game because the Leaders amongst them will ensure they do, because if Jok has anything about him he will ensure they have a common purpose, that way there will be a team spirit develop again amongst them.
Mitrovic is top man, but needs support, if he recognises he is not the only warrior in the team he will continue to run his heart out. Because he has the heart the size of a football as Mawson, Mcdonald and Joganson have, with those Lieutenants on the pitch, others will up their game to compete.
Then whatever our position some the Window, we need the cavalry of the likes of Gary Cahill, to enable us to get over the line and still be in the Premier League, and then start the process of rebuilding round the players already here to ensure next season, we have no passengers, no lightweights, no big time Charlie's, only team men, and get rid of the stats merchants, and self appointed recruitment unit.
Whatever your opinions of our team and individual performances on Sunday v Liverpool.
What it did show is what you can do when you set out your stall with some organisation and preparation, because we were still in the game even st 2 0, we had managed to get one back, we would have thrown the kitchen sink at them.
Please this was not Burnley at home, this was Liverpool at Anfield, who have slaughtered some of the best teams in the League there. 
A slight concern is Joks substitutions, poor judgement and game management there.
At home to the Saints, we cannot afford to go gung-ho I don't think, set ourselves up to hard to beat with a strong foundation round Mawson, Rico appears to have played himself into the team also.
This is no time for faint hearts and players with no fire in their belly.
Out of Seri, Vieto and Schurrie, Schurrie is the only one I may start providing he is instructed to play within the framework of the team and roll his sleeves up, the other two can be used as subs when their is no danger of us losing the game, until they learn this League is no picnic, and they are lightweights mentally and physically, not equipped to battle in the English Premier League.
Strong mentality is required, and if Slavisa cannot recognise this, and show in his selections that he recognises this. Then his position may become untenable.
For the time being forget pretty football, we are fighting for our Premier League lives, as other teams will be doing.
Our season starts when we kick off at home to Southampton, Jok picks the team, and the system of play, and he better start getting it right, and put away any personal feelings that he may have about certain players, because sometimes I feel he sometimes keeps things inside and only shows it in his selections. Because despite this shocking run prior to the Liverpool game both in performance and results, he continued to play players whose body language and application stunk under the nostrils of honest men.
Yes I do blame players and I do blame the stats and recruitment teams, but Jok has to take responsibility at the end of day.
Of course he is never going to be the life and soul of the party.
But he has to be far more proactive and assertive all round, whether it's in his character or not.
That's what his job is, if he cannot do that, then he falls short.
If he asked me to run through a brick wall for him and come out fighting on the other side, I may think about it.
Whereas if Bobby Robson, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly, Billy Bonds, Terry Venables, Alf Ramsey, Bill Nicholson, Ron Saunders, Bob Paisley, Roy Hodgson, Malcolm Allison and Alec Stock asked me for instance, I would not hesitate.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 12, 2018, 08:54:43 AM
100% we have to continue with Mawson as the heart of our defence. He's youngish and will get better, dominant physically which is somethign we've lacked, has premiership experience and was seriously rated at Swansea to the point of being on the verge of an international call up. I still think we need to sign a Cahill or someone with experience and who's a leader at the back in January. An experienced premiership right back is also a must. People have said Clyne from Pool which would be great but am not sure he'd want to come here in the state we're in & even then he'd cost a packet and we DO need to consider FFP even in the premiership. Danny Simpson from Leicester who's lost his place would be a much cheaper pragmatic solution.

0001.jpeg
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Quote from: Riversider on November 13, 2018, 01:59:04 PM
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said about Seri and Anguissa,  BUT it really grinds my gears that Tom Cairney escapes any criticism or abuse...

I think you are being harsh bUT I agree the point about us turning down the Newcastle bid is a good one. Fact is, Effectively Cairney cost us £20m, because that's what we'd have sitting in the bank if we'd sold him. once you account for Le Marchand, the fee paid to Nice for Seri was probably only about £25m, so the two players have basically cost a similar amount each, and shold be judged by the same standards.

As others have said, neither is going to win many tackles or headers or perform at high standard over a 38 game season it seems, although IMO Seri still showed in our first few games that he's capable of playing at a level above Cairney when he's at the top of his game.

If we end up sticking with two DMs, Anguissa and Chambers, it may be a blessing because neither Seri nor Cairney seem capable of doing 38 games, so we can rotate between them in that 3rd midfield spot, depending which one of them is fit and up for it.

filham

Quote from: Riversider on November 13, 2018, 01:59:04 PM
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said about Seri and Anguissa,  BUT it really grinds my gears that Tom Cairney escapes any criticism or abuse, he has been abysmal this season, not just the fact that He's doing everything at walking pace, it's his entire body language,  which for any player is unacceptable but for a Captain it's disgraceful,
What was he doing for the second Liverpool goal ? Just let his man go and allowed him to score,
Against Southampton I would actually include Seri and Anguissa before I include Cairney,
I've been supporting Fulham since 1970, and I've been wracking my brains to think of a worse Captain than Cairney, any suggestions ?
If I produced a list of the Top 20 Captains of my time, I can tell you now Cairney wouldn't be on it,
Take the arm band off him and give it to Mawson and let's get some leadership on the pitch,
Cairney has signed a 5 year contract which makes him the luckiest player in top flight football as I can't see any other club wanting him, we turned down £20 million for him (apparently) from Newcastle, what would you value him at now ?
All of the a above is perhaps a little strong but true, I just didn.t want to say it because of the fact that Cairney has been so good in the past and is a favourite to most of us. Also I thought perhaps he is still nervous about his injury and will improve by the game.

The hard fact is then that Cairney, Seri and Anguissa are not performing as they were expected to which is a dreadful blow to the team.