watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thoughts on Alfie Mawson

Started by Friendsoffulham, November 11, 2018, 09:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Having feature for 90 minutes today v Liverpool, what were your thoughts on Alfie Mawson? Rumours had been circling, that he wasn't in Slavisa's plans, because he didn't play the ball out quick enough, and was far to slow.

Mawson is seen as a Dunk type CB, and Brighton seem to facilitate him well in their set-up, so, we'd like to hear your thoughts.   

MJG

I feel Slav got it wrong and should have been in earlier (when he was fit) and certainly should not have been sat on his arse for four games whole nit getting a kick. He should be... And Chambers in my view.... At the centre of the defence from now on.
Just the views of a long term fan

Spirit of 2000

Solid. We must persevere with him.

HV71

His attitude and leadership qualities were never in question at Swansea . He is a very decent player and should have even back in the side earlier. I am a big fan of Joka but Mawsons omission has been a mistake

FulhamStu

Why he has been left out is a mystery to me.  I thought at the time that he was our most important signing in the summer as he is exactly,what we have been missing.  A proper centre half with leadership qualities. Let's hope it was just a fitness issue and now he has had a decent 90 minutes he will help solidify our defence.

bornafulhamfan

Quote from: HV71 on November 11, 2018, 09:53:45 PM
His attitude and leadership qualities were never in question at Swansea . He is a very decent player and should have even back in the side earlier. I am a big fan of Joka but Mawsons omission has been a mistake
Agree. Imagine if both him and Rico played from the start of the season. I believe we would have 12-15 points at least.

One Martin Thomas

Solid defender and it all works if we defend a little deeper

Woolly Mammoth

Alfie Mawson top player, top defender, top leader, top man.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 11, 2018, 10:19:32 PM
Alfie Mawson top player, top defender, top leader, top man.

Top hat, top cat
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Statto

Against Watford he was woeful.

Probably the worst CB performance I have seen since THAT Sigurdsson game, against Forest IIRC.

Not sure how anyone at the Watford game can question the decision to leave him out for a run after that

1500.gif

HV71

He was truly woeful in that game - and there must have been something very wrong- I just find it strange that he came back in today when it was obviously going to be an uphill task . I just think he is a much better player than he showed against Watford- which was totally out of character

MJG

Quote from: Statto on November 11, 2018, 10:34:06 PM

Probably the worst CB performance I have seen since THAT Sigurdsson game, against Forest IIRC.

Not sure how anyone at the Watford game can question the decision to leave him out for a run after that

1500.gif
He was poor in that game, but I'd also question why Slav swapped him and Chambers over so the both played in the wrong sides of the CB.
So one bad game gets you out for five or six games while we ship goals left right and centre? If we did that with every player we would soon run out of players to use.
Just the views of a long term fan

Statto

Quote from: MJG on November 11, 2018, 10:50:05 PM

1500.gif
He was poor in that game, but I'd also question why Slav swapped him and Chambers over so the both played in the wrong sides of the CB.
So one bad game gets you out for five or six games while we ship goals left right and centre? If we did that with every player we would soon run out of players to use.

Well you have to get dropped after a poor game when you're unproven and competing with other new players all champing at the bit for the same places. Nothing unusual about that surely. 

Not exactly the same situation I know, but all Kalas did last year was get a minor injury and he lost his place to Odoi. Odoi then played well and Kalas got left out for the rest of the season, not just rotated back in after a game or two. Similar thing happened with Button getting dropped and Bettinelli taking his place for the rest of the season. And others I'm sure. 

I suppose you'll say the distinction here is the people who replaced him weren't playing well either, so he should have been rotated back in. I can sympathise with that, maybe he should have come back after 2-3 games rather than 6, but for me it's not something you can put a number on and say X games is right and Y games is wrong. 

The Rock

Quote from: MJG on November 11, 2018, 10:50:05 PM

1500.gif

Perhaps he was and is trying to protect certain players until they have A. acclimated to UK football or B. Fit C. Deserve their chance to replace an existing starting 11 or D. all of the above.

If that's the process, and we start getting results, it will make good sense.

Pretty big IF.

Mince n Tatties

1500.gif

Defending is all about unity,when he came in against Watford our defence were all strangers to one another,also I don't think he was fully recovered in that game,and that is the reason he has been benched.
As of yesterday I'm sure well see a better player emerge now getting fully fit,someone doesn't become a bad player overnight.

colinwhite

I think its a bit of horses for courses. After the second half at v Watford he has decided to stick with the cbs more comfortable on the ball as playing out was his priority . This suits mawson less than say Ream.Once we continued to ship goals priorities have changed as even keeping possession was starting to be more difficult. Agree with MJG that chambers and Mawson at  CB is probably the way forward . But it depends  on what the players are being asked or told to do .Chambers has been very poor when trying to do things that dont suit his game (overplaying ),but looked good yesterday when given a defensive covering role. Gave us steel in the middle . Think he can even do that at Cb if the emphasisis is on defending and not playing out.

hovewhite

1500.gif
your right alongside Chambers v Watford the pair of them awful that game.He was complete opposite yesterday a rock so well played Alfie that's the standard,also odoi was superb yesterday.

Tonywa

Odi was superb apart from losing the ball several times in important positions and making a vital, bad decision in the lead up to Liverpool's winning goal.  Just the sort of thing you will be punished for at the top level.

DevonFFC

I tell you what I saw from him which I commented on after our last defeat.

Every time we made a tackle, cleared the ball or put it out to touch rather than turn with it, he would first pump or high five the player who did it.

The defence played for one on other yesterday and Mawson a few times cleared up balls that had he not been switched on wouldn't have had the pace to deal with. He reads the game well.

Odoi played well but sometimes his mazy runs from deep are exciting on the eye but made my bum hole twitch and they are what can land us in trouble

Holders

To be charitable, perhaps he wasn't fully fit before but he has real leadership quality and guts and has earned himself a place after yesterday. Chambers as well, in my view, in that alternative position. I'd stick with that back 5 for a bit.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria