watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thoughts on Alfie Mawson

Started by Friendsoffulham, November 11, 2018, 09:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillingdonFFC

He was dreadful against Watford & was hooked off at half time. It was only the third game he started in the league.
Hes been fit for weeks now & hasnt figured for a couple reasons, one was touched on in an earlier reply the other hasnt been mentioned.
Fully fit & playing well he walks into that defence, sometimes,even in the premier league you need substance over style, thats not to say he cant play a bit because he can

Count Flapula

Seems to be fitter now so should be in our starting XI without doubt.

Hopefully him and Rico in a settled back four will bring more stability as those two will be the most likely to bring some much needed organisation / leadership.

Moltobueno

agree with most of the last comments. Shocking performance against Watford but can't imagine next game without him starting. Quality player.

Lighthouse

But you can't keep dropping players for one poor performance. If you think they are good enough. How many games has Ream had this season and played poorly, given the ball away and been slow to cover. Part of our problem has been the consistent inconsistency of the team sheet. IF we can please have a settled side. Not drop Christie for one or two iffy games when he is clearly a better player than is given credit for. The same with Mawson. I think the fact that we have to change tactics means we have to fit in players that do not fit with the gung ho attitude of the past. Defenders that can defend is a good thing.

But in the next game changing the side again to fit a type of game we want to play will be a mistake. Keep a settled side where possible. Mawson will come good. Allow him the time to do so.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 12, 2018, 10:28:50 AM
But you can't keep dropping players for one poor performance. If you think they are good enough. How many games has Ream had this season and played poorly, given the ball away and been slow to cover. Part of our problem has been the consistent inconsistency of the team sheet. IF we can please have a settled side. Not drop Christie for one or two iffy games when he is clearly a better player than is given credit for. The same with Mawson. I think the fact that we have to change tactics means we have to fit in players that do not fit with the gung ho attitude of the past. Defenders that can defend is a good thing.

But in the next game changing the side again to fit a type of game we want to play will be a mistake. Keep a settled side where possible. Mawson will come good. Allow him the time to do so.

Quite agree - and Chambers in the new position.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

I think we now have to forget Mawson's performance against Watford , he could just be just the solid centre back we need, lets see how he performs against Southampton.

Jonnoj

Not sure what Joka was up to against watford.
mawson on the right when he prefers the left and Chambers the left when he favours the right.
Almost as if he was trying to set them some sort of test, couldn't understand why you'd experiment like that at the time and still can't. the best i could come up with was that he wanted to try mawson on the right to play him with Ream/MLM but other than that it was a very odd decision.

Horsfield_No9

I think he has not been at the races since moving to us due to his surgery but based on yesterdays performance now looks fully fit. He must start every game now in my opinion. Chambers worked well as DM so not adverse to us continuing with this either.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Bassey the warrior

We don't know how fit he was before. If he wasn't match fit it was right he didn't start.

Matt10

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 12, 2018, 10:28:50 AM

Completely agree with this. Sometime this season I have felt that Joka is watching the forums and when people shouted for Christie to be dropped via Arsenal, he obliged. Same with Chambers and Mawson. Kind of funny. Stay off the boards, Slav!

FFC NY

I thought he defended well enough and should keep his place. With the ball at his feet he seemed a little nervous as though playing out from the back isn't something he is comfortable and could explain the length of time he has been kept out of the team.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Tonywa on November 12, 2018, 08:39:07 AM
Odi was superb apart from losing the ball several times in important positions and making a vital, bad decision in the lead up to Liverpool's winning goal.  Just the sort of thing you will be punished for at the top level.

Isn't Odi the overly salivating dog in the Garfield cartoons? And can he play DM ?

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on November 11, 2018, 10:34:06 PM
Against Watford he was woeful.

Probably the worst CB performance I have seen since THAT Sigurdsson game, against Forest IIRC.

Not sure how anyone at the Watford game can question the decision to leave him out for a run after that

1500.gif

Absolutely agree. I hope he turns out to be the centre-half we thought we had bought, but the Watford game ... well, Joka was totally right to question his credentials.

SG

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on November 12, 2018, 09:23:25 AM
He was dreadful against Watford & was hooked off at half time. It was only the third game he started in the league.
Hes been fit for weeks now & hasnt figured for a couple reasons, one was touched on in an earlier reply the other hasnt been mentioned.
Fully fit & playing well he walks into that defence, sometimes,even in the premier league you need substance over style, thats not to say he cant play a bit because he can

I believe you know his father and therefore wouldn't expect you to break confidences as to why he has not been picked. Either way it is a disgrace that Jok hasn't given him more playing time given the dreadful number of goals we have conceded with the others playing. Thankfully he had a decent game yesterday so hopefully he will be in the team each week from now on as on last seasons performances he walks into our defence.
Interestingly 12 games into the season and Wolves have had the same back 5 in each of the 12 games. By comparison we have had 12 difference variations in those 12 games. Time now hopefully for some consistency given that we also seem to have resolved the keeper position in favour of Rico

Jonnoj

Any chance you could elaborate on the issues with Mawson?
Appreciate you can't betray confidences but are they tactics, manager, health etc etc?
Always find this stuff concerning but it goes on in all football clubs I guess....

toshes mate

There'll always be conspiracy theories wherever there are people simply because some things involving decision making seem unfair to at least one person.  There is probably at least a grain of truth in all of these but that is all there is to counter the truths that suggest fairness.  The defence was better on Sunday simply because moving Chambers into covering midfield, a job he did well, worked at eleiminating some of the awful problems our midfield have created for themselves.  There was cohesion in defence and I suspect it would work better for any back four.   The only failure was Cairney not staying close to Shaqiri when the second goal was created.  He needed to shout at Christie to cover Shaqiri instead of being one of three marking the same man.  He didn't and we shipped a goal.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Mawson did well but then why wouldn't he?

MJG

:plus one:
Just the views of a long term fan