more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dermot Gallagher on Ref watch

Started by MaidenheadMick, November 12, 2018, 03:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watford_fc

Quote from: Statto on November 12, 2018, 10:15:50 PM
As I've said before, if the top players are getting £300k+ per week then IMO so should the refs, because they influence the game at least as much and there should only be a handful, 10-15 of them doing the job at the highest level.

But the quid pro quo needs to be massively raising standards. 1,000s of young boys trying and failing to make it into refs academies every year, the best of them get identified at 10 or 12 years old and sponsored, spending their whole lives doing nothing but practising reffing, etc etc.

Then you would actually get people who are good at the job instead of these useless pillocks we have at the moment.

There is a list of certain refs who are professional and only do officiate/train each day etc - the ones in the lower leagues are part time I believe?

Still doesn't always work.

Most look very unfit and seem to guess most of the time I think.

Statto

Quote from: Watford_fc on November 13, 2018, 06:33:12 AM
Quote from: Statto on November 12, 2018, 10:15:50 PM
As I've said before, if the top players are getting £300k+ per week then IMO so should the refs, because they influence the game at least as much and there should only be a handful, 10-15 of them doing the job at the highest level.

But the quid pro quo needs to be massively raising standards. 1,000s of young boys trying and failing to make it into refs academies every year, the best of them get identified at 10 or 12 years old and sponsored, spending their whole lives doing nothing but practising reffing, etc etc.

Then you would actually get people who are good at the job instead of these useless pillocks we have at the moment.

There is a list of certain refs who are professional and only do officiate/train each day etc - the ones in the lower leagues are part time I believe?

Still doesn't always work.

Most look very unfit and seem to guess most of the time I think.

I'm aware that some are professional, rather than part-time, but I'm talking about more than that.

For example when you go to watch Vincent kompany, you are seeing  not only a full-time professional but an elite hyper-talented player, someone who can say there are probably only between 0 and 10 people on the entire planet who can to his job as well as he does it

PL refs should be able to make the same claim IMO but as you say they look unfit and generally don't merit the responsibility in my experience

toshes mate

It's interesting to listen to pundits pontificate about 'you can be offside if' when, in real time, a human being would be hard put to judge any close run thing about torso or feet - think about athletics and photo finishes.  A few years back when the offside law was amended the general principle was stated that offside decisions should be clear i.e. a player is clearly offside eliminating marginal decisions where, for all intents and purposes, there is no way consistency can be obtained except through replay.  Once again the football authorities fail to administer consistency which, at the end of the day, is what we all crave for.

The moving ball is similar in as much is referees pedantically require free kicks to be properly taken when time wasting is going on, then they should be properly taken every time.  Again it is about consitency and not that'll do because it's Liverpool, United, City, or whoever else is flavour of the era.

Dixie

Quote from: deadcowboys on November 12, 2018, 03:33:59 PM
Not sure Dermott the Dunce knew the rules when he was a ref so i have no expectatiin he does now. In any event whether the ball was moving or not & with 1 side half celebrating a goal, allowing a quick free kick to be taken is plain dumb.

this is my opinion exactly
I  think the offside was the correct decision and I think Liverpool were smart to get on and break as quick as they did...
But - the ref should not allow them to take a quick free kick in that situation - the oppo (we) are still celebrating/debating a disallowed goal, Liverpool gained an unfair advantage at that moment and we could not recover our shape in time to prevent Salah from scoring. That is the thing that has me most aggrieved.

Having said all that, at least we were at the races! Things are looking up, I am right behind Slav to turn this season round!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

SuffolkWhite

Decisions should only be given if the Official can be certain, The Lino could not be certain as his view was partially blocked and so he bottled it. That said the Ref could not have seen the rolling ball either so he could not be at fault!

It's consistency that's needed.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

nose returns

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on November 13, 2018, 02:27:27 PM
Decisions should only be given if the Official can be certain, The Lino could not be certain as his view was partially blocked and so he bottled it. That said the Ref could not have seen the rolling ball either so he could not be at fault!

It's consistency that's needed.

Hate to be controversial but BT showed the rolling ball incident from behind the goal and used graphical overlay to assist and the ref had a perfect view and was actually looking at the goalkeeper, it may be available as clip somewhere. He just had to have seen it it and got it wrong for whatever reason.

And whilst I do think liverpool are blameless as a team, I encourage the idea of taking quick free kicks as a rule and hope we would have done the same....I do think under the circumstances, the ref should have not allowed the quick free kick in this one instance because it wasn't a foul or anything disreputable we did, it was a disallowed goal and somehow fair play and moral justice would say he should have let our team have a chance to re organise. if we had been arguing that would have been different but we were still celebrating.