https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

VAR

Started by clanky, November 12, 2018, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moltobueno

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 13, 2018, 01:38:02 PM
Quote from: Moltobueno on November 13, 2018, 12:57:50 PM
I've seen some Serie A games and it is really annoying to see a player running towards referee while making big square gestures into air with their hands as refering to TV screen every time there's some incident near penalty box area.

I prefer watching traditional football (even after the mistake from referees that cost us the first goal against liverpool).

As opposed to players running up to refs holding up imaginary cards or screaming about whichever infraction they feel they've been subjected to? This happens with or without VAR. Your complaint is literally about hand gesture.

I don't know, how many Fulham players did you see running towards referee when they flagged Mitrovic offside? Or when the Liverpool goalkeeper kicked the moving ball that ended with a goal?
They knew the referee wasn't going to take his decision back. If there was VAR, players would be around him asking him to watch replay instead of restarting the game after the goal.

I'm just saying adding VAR adds another chance for a player to demand something from the referee

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Moltobueno on November 13, 2018, 01:52:34 PM
I've seen some Serie A games and it is really annoying to see a player running towards referee while making big square gestures into air with their hands as refering to TV screen every time there's some incident near penalty box area.

I prefer watching traditional football (even after the mistake from referees that cost us the first goal against liverpool).

As opposed to players running up to refs holding up imaginary cards or screaming about whichever infraction they feel they've been subjected to? This happens with or without VAR. Your complaint is literally about hand gesture.

I don't know, how many Fulham players did you see running towards referee when they flagged Mitrovic offside? Or when the Liverpool goalkeeper kicked the moving ball that ended with a goal?
They knew the referee wasn't going to take his decision back. If there was VAR, players would be around him asking him to watch replay instead of restarting the game after the goal.

I'm just saying adding VAR adds another chance for a player to demand something from the referee

We are also comparing the Italian league to the PL. Different cultures and, I'd say, this kind of thing happened in Italy prior to VAR as well....begging for cards and penalties. I concede that you may be correct that players will ask but, in general, the English leagues appear to me to be far less confrontational with referees than in many others. I just don't believe the 'interruptions' will be nearly as intrusive and common as many believe they will be.....assuming that the implementation and communication are good.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

I Ronic

Prefer an interruption over a costly mistake any day.

Milo

Happy to have VAR provided it only resolves clear cut misjustices. Ie if you have to look at something more than twice to work out whether Mitrovic was offside or not then it's too close to call and the on-the-pitch decision should stand. The referee saw it as offside.. so the decision should stand.

If we start getting micrometers out to measure shoulder distances past the last defender, and lawyers to dissect FA rules, just to make an offside decision.. then VAR will never be a realistic concept mid-game due to time.

Keep it simple. If it's a blatant error then VAR can change. If it's borderline, referee decision stands.

Milo

The way to stop abuse/pressuring of referees is to mic them up like rugby. Would be better for referees as no abuse, better for fans as more aware of why decisions were made, etc etc.

Moltobueno

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 13, 2018, 04:29:33 PM
Quote from: Moltobueno on November 13, 2018, 01:52:34 PM

We are also comparing the Italian league to the PL. Different cultures and, I'd say, this kind of thing happened in Italy prior to VAR as well....begging for cards and penalties. I concede that you may be correct that players will ask but, in general, the English leagues appear to me to be far less confrontational with referees than in many others. I just don't believe the 'interruptions' will be nearly as intrusive and common as many believe they will be.....assuming that the implementation and communication are good.

That is correct, those Serie A guys always looking at the referee with puppy eyes  :005:

Skatzoffc

I'm definitely for it.

It would put a stop to the outrageous & blatant favouritism to the big teams by a number of referees in this division.

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Milo on November 14, 2018, 01:57:22 AM

The way to stop abuse/pressuring of referees is to mic them up like rugby. Would be better for referees as no abuse, better for fans as more aware of why decisions were made, etc etc.

This is a part of what I think PL should do with its implementation of VAR. Have the refs explaining why they are stopping play as they go to review the replay and then explain the decision. This is where I think a league like MLS gets it wrong. The lack of communication between the silly drawing a square hand signal and the decision makes little sense.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude