watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Interesting thoughts by Shearer on Slav as the Fulham manager

Started by GJB, November 12, 2018, 05:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowNothing

Hats off to Alan Shearer with a well thought out opinion piece. Miracles never cease. Great point about the offside. I didn't see the replay.

cottage expat

I'm usually critical of Shearer's opinions but I think he's spot on with this.

St Eve

Bassey the warrior

Slav needs to get a win vs Southampton or he'll be fired. Hopefully we play as we did 1st half vs Liverpool. I would be sad to see him go.

filham

Very reasonable by Alan Shearer approach and I tend to agree that Jocanovic may not survive a defeat by Southampton.

The Enclosurite

All good apart from the part stating Slav was given £100m to build a new team over the summer.
¡COYW!

Twig

Quote from: The Enclosurite on November 12, 2018, 07:16:56 PM
All good apart from the part stating Slav was given £100m to build a new team over the summer.

Yes, I noticed that comment. Well, 100k may, or may not, have been spent but it wasn't entrusted to SJ.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on November 12, 2018, 07:21:49 PM

Yes, I noticed that comment. Well, 100k may, or may not, have been spent but it wasn't entrusted to SJ.

and there lies the problem !!
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Dryden

This, Shearer's article, is pretty much my take on th whole scenario.  Yes, Slav is finding his way a bit, but he's still got one of the best win percentages of any manager in recent years and this, along with last years results, earn him every chance.

IKnowNothing

Crazy isn't it? It's like the owner just walks up in transfer season and hands over the cash and says" Good Luck" here's a 100 million.
Today it seems that the proper sequence would go like.....
  Fulham has a particular style of play. It hires a Director of Football who understands this style of play and hires a manager who fits the system. The DOF also puts together a scouting department which interacts with the manager to identify the players that he needs. The style of play is the boss of the team. It alone determines all the employees of the team. If we constantly change the way the team plays then the owner is just throwing money down the drain.
Sometimes I think there is a time lapse in football commentating and the structure of modern football management. Maybe in the past the manager would run the whole show but that's certainly not the case anymore.

hovewhite

All of the post's above I agree with,the shearer article was spot on which he's obviously thought about,he's right we looked a unit ,for me I would like to see that side v saints if slav changes it and we lose then I think I might start having doubts about slav who even now I trust he will get it right,if he changes it and we lose feel it may cost him his job!coyw

IKnowNothing

Quote from: hovewhite on November 13, 2018, 06:41:12 AM
All of the post's above I agree with,the shearer article was spot on which he's obviously thought about,he's right we looked a unit ,for me I would like to see that side v saints if slav changes it and we lose then I think I might start having doubts about slav who even now I trust he will get it right,if he changes it and we lose feel it may cost him his job!coyw
Its the owner and his son that will pay the ultimate price if they don't have a proper plan and stick to it. Slav will get paid and he hasn't hurt his reputation in managing Fulham.
People in the football business know the story behind the scenes and they will be privy to more info than us. Except for the writers and commentators of course. They just make it up for us Drama Queens.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: IKnowNothing on November 13, 2018, 01:19:54 PM
Quote from: hovewhite on November 13, 2018, 06:41:12 AM
Its the owner and his son that will pay the ultimate price if they don't have a proper plan and stick to it. Slav will get paid and he hasn't hurt his reputation in managing Fulham.
People in the football business know the story behind the scenes and they will be privy to more info than us. Except for the writers and commentators of course. They just make it up for us Drama Queens.
e

So true! Well said.