watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My post Liverpool thoughts

Started by Matt10, November 13, 2018, 05:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

What difference a couple days make. We veered away from the failing 4-3-3 to what I think is the best formation since used against Bournemouth, the 4-2-3-1. The 4-2-3-1 allows us to have 2 defensive midfielders, and forces our creativity forwards, directly behind our striker. This is why it looked great for the first 15 minutes against Liverpool. We had Cairney directly behind Mitro, followed by the hard work of Sess and Schurrle. The high pressure was finally there, did you see it? It was a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, it only lasted 15 minutes, but still beautiful nonetheless. More praise for the 4-2-3-1 is the fact that it prevents not only the defensive line to be less exposed, but also empowers the two defensive midfielders to have cover. Multiple times it was seen when Anguissa pushed forward, Chambers dropped, and they switched like that several times throughout the match. Our defensive line was still tested, but that was going to happen against the likes of Liverpool and their proper False-9 play of Firmino, supported by the blazers in Salah and Mane.

With that said, here are my player performances:

4-2-3-1 formation

GK Rico - Hard to argue that he was not man of the match. His fast reactions, strong paws and commanding presence were exactly what we needed to show up in the match. Can we buy him? Fantastic player, I am completely onboard.

RB Christie - A better selection over Fosu-Mensah, as I've said, and while I am a fan of his, I still felt like he could have done better in certain situations. The effort was definitely there though, could see him get into a higher gear when needing to chase, and he was visibly communicating with Schurrle to press while he had to cover the top of the box. Going forward he was an outlet, but did not trouble Robertson as much, and vice-versa, so all is fair there. Need to see more from Christie in this formation and the overall new team dynamic.

CB Odoi - Solid as ever. I mean really, he was consistent again. Cutting off crosses, heading balls that he had no business in being able to reach, it was another solid performance by our RCB. He and Mawson seemed to be a good pairing as well.

CB Mawson - Everyone wanted to see him after the Watford match, and see him we did. Dare I say, but he was solid as can be. I think what was really key was that he and Chambers had played in that CB pairing against Watford, and Mawson as we know struggled mightly. The irony is that instead of placing them side by side again, Slavisa places Chambers directly in front of Mawson in that CDM role. This should be a highly encouraging sign from a team dynamic standpoint as Liverpool did struggle to create opportunities right down the middle. Very encouraging, and cannot wait to see more of Mawson.

LB LeMarchand - I still think he's where he needs to be in the LB role. He held his own against some of the fastest and dangerous players in the league. What I like about him is that he's got great technique on the ball. The aerial passing should not be underestimated, especially, as seen in the second half, where we could only afford to send passes up to Mitro to control to relieve pressure from the onslaught of Liverpool attacks. Do I think Bryan is the better LB? I think it just depends on what type of Bryan we will see post injury. I am a big fan of his from last year, but I'll have to admit that LeMarchand is gaining his footing quite nicely.

DMF Anguissa - Had a bit more sense of urgency, and only got caught out twice. Honestly, not a bad showing from Zambo. I've been a firm critic of his because he has not looked like he wanted to be out there, but there was some definite fire to him against Liverpool. I am still treading carefully though as I am hoping it is not a result of just being up for the big match against the big team - and trying to impress them. What I can say is that he and Chambers looked good together, and communicated, allowing some proper switching front and back positions depending on what was needed. I liked seeing him high press in the early 15 minutes of the match as well, he's a bit of a figure that you know is coming, what I call the beast that needs to be let out still.

DMF Chambers - Another contender for MOTM. He's played the role for the gunners before, but I think it still surprised a lot of us when his name showed up, and the majority thought 5-back, but instead he's placed him in the CDM role. Think it was a brilliant choice, and have to give credit to our manager for giving him the nod. So many on here wanted him to never wear a Fulham shirt again because 1. this place can have its fair share of cliche "one bad match and done", and 2. can't seem to remember that he was played out of position at RB, but also if it were not for him, Sess would not have bagged his first goal ;) . He looked sharp against the Reds. Counted multiple interceptions, blocks, deflections, just significant break-ups that don't make it to the stats sheet. He read the match well, and orchestrated possession. A real calming presence, I must say, and I cannot wait to see him there again.

MF Schurrle - I still like Schurrle for our team, but I am not sure he can be the starter any longer. He tries really hard in the attack, but does not get back on defense as quickly or does not transition rather quick enough. He is caught in two minds with shoot vs pass, but still ends up making the right decision most of the time. When a team needs to remain in sequence this badly though, it may be best to keep the likes of Schurrle to ensure that familiarity. The last thing we need is a player who cannot stay in-sync, or if he is out of sync with the teammates, they can at least anticipate what his choices will be. Once he scores again, all will be forgiven though, but I do need him to trust his teammates a lot more.

MF Cairney - The best thing for me was seeing Cairney high press in those first 15 minutes. Absolutely great to see. We had Liverpool on the ropes for the most part during that time. I think that triangle the 4-2-3-1 creates is going to be very key for our captain, as he can easily feed around him, and still have enough time to be creative and attempt some penetrating passes. He had a high passing % in the 90's, against Liverpool, so that is pretty impressive, even though the passes were safe, it does bode well for us when we face "lesser" opposition than Liverpool hopefully.

MF Sess - He looked up for it, didn't he? I thought Sess played brilliantly all match. There were no visible nerves, no sense of backing down. If he had scored that goal, it could have been a completely different story for us. It was a pure strike, just had that bit of curve that took it away from the goal unfortunately. Overall though, Ses continues to be that solid force for us, and he absolutely needs to remain in that advanced position. Too many good things happen when he's there, and we need to build off of finding those opportunities, and also give him the tools to make those opportunities himself.

ST Mitro - He was, again, completely pressured by the opposition's CBs. I do not know how he does it, but he manages to keep control of the ball in the tightest of places. There was a moment when an aerial ball from MLM found Mitro picking it out of the air with the softest of touches. Unfortunately, he is going to be on an island when we sit back like we did in the 2nd half, and hoof the ball out to him. This is more of a problem of tactical decisions to not high press versus absorb the pressure and then counter-attack. Hard to counter-attack when you send a clearance to either side of the pitch where your striker is not located. Slav either has to force Sess or Schurrle to stay up or stop buckling the team into a park-the-bus mentality for 75 minutes. The way we started the match with the 15 minutes of high press is what will help Mitro the most.

Subs

DMF Johansen - When Stefjo came in, it was a bit too late for me. Six minutes from time was not enough to pull the formation change from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-1-4-1, where Chambers remains the DMF in this case. Stefjo brings the high pressure, but it did not benefit as a unit because we had already sat back and absorbed the Liverpool pressure continuously. There was a moment or two in which the center of the pitch became vacant, and our now 4 midfielders were able to prepare attacks, but again, too little too late, and it was difficult to break down Liverpool having almost 10 men behind the ball. 

MF Seri - Cairney had done quite a lot and looked pretty tired. It was no surprise that Seri came in, and it was no surprise that he continued to play very passively with the passing. He rarely makes a pass that could have a chance being intercepted, and that's understandable, but at the same time, he needs to make plays as a playmaker. I feel like he is playing not to lose and too timid right now. It probably will not help his confidence that he did not start against a big opponent like this. Hopefully he can watch some clips of Stefjo from last year and see what creating chances looks like.

MF Vietto - Not much to say about Vietto. He is consistently energized, but so much effort brings little results...for now. I do think he needs to be in the starting lineup though. He is a right footed player, and can easily replace Schurrle, but will need to prove himself as the likes of Kamara, Kebano and Ayite can gun for that role. I still need to see more from him, and bagging a goal, or assist, will not hurt.

Positives as a team:

> Higher pressure - It was only the first 15 minutes of the match, but what that showed was the actual potential that we have as a pressuring team versus one that pressures only at the top of the box.

> Communication - With the exception of the 2nd goal (Cairney and Christie not communicating), overall the communication as a defensive and offensive unit was much better. I especially liked how Chambers directed Anguissa multiple times, and Mawson directed Chambers. Odoi and Christie in-sync, and the only area for improvement is getting Schurrle to press a bit earlier so Christie would not have to deal with the through passes.

> Body language - When we conceded the first, the body language was a bit skewed becuase we had just lost the goal we scored, and now we're 1-0 down. However, there was a visible focus on the players' faces as they set up for the KO again, and that was a lot different than it has been when we've conceded, looking confused or not looking at anything (or anyone) at all, just keeping their heads down. This wasn't the case, and that has to be a good sign.

> No significant formation change - This is the biggest positive to me in the evolution of Slav leaving his 4-3-3 system, to accommodate for the simpler, and consistent, one. Even though there was a slight change in the midfield, there was no sense of pulling a 3-back system, and making subs to create that. No, Slav put on like-for-like players and it sent the message, to me at least, that it was about putting the emphasis on the players - and not the reliance on another system to overthink.

Negatives as a team:

> Switched off  - Two times we were switched off and it cost us. The first goal, completely understandable, but still, play to the whistle right? The second, no excuse, just poor communication between our captain and Christie. I would lean more towards Christie's side as he's looked like he's assuming that someone was there because he had taken a glance before, but still - poor play and cost us.

> Back in the shell - We started so well with the 15 minutes of high pressure, but after that, it was back to the zonal pressure in protecting our defensive third to the top of the box. Naturally Liverpool are going to bring on the pressure, and we will have to invite it, but one cannot help but think we had nothing to lose - let's just go for it and press like we did early on. It takes a lot of strategy with that kind of risk, which is why a lot of teams are reaping big rewards from it.

Mitro's goal:

Very very tight, but just offsides.

Conclusion:

A lot of positives, and badly needed. The 4-2-3-1 against Bournemouth was promising, and I am glad it was used again versus Liverpool. The insurance in front of the back line provides that sense of security we need, and all that is missing is a proper gameplan against another high pressing team. My answer is to fight that press with the same type, and see who wins. The formation can support that, and the striker will benefit to have his teammates closer as a result. It's fitting that the international break is upon us, right when we're getting things cooking, but hopefully it's enough of a positive performance to send the lads in good spirits, then back in the same good spirits when we face up against Southampton.

davew

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

HV71

The Swan

Great report Matt 10. Would you like to be our new manager ( if we sack our present one)
The Swan

WokingFFC

Excellent review, totally agree about Schurrle, needs to offer more for the team. Good to read a positive and realistic assessment, we're you at the game too?

ScalleysDad

Great read. The picture might calm some of the anti officials angst, who might have genuinely not seen the ball roll a touch or 'that' tackle from Chambers that could have been a red. The main question is, stand by for outrageous indignation across the board, fifteen minutes from Cairney. Is that enough?

toshes mate

Interesting read and appreciated, Matt10. 

I agree with your Chambers/defence/Anguissa summary and it could be said it is the one happy outcome from McDonald's injury.   Not sure about the photographed 'offside' and have seen far too many offside goals to believe, in context, it wasn't just Fulham's bad luck to have 'level with' adjudicated so harshly.  I mentioned elsewhere (I think around the fifteen minute mark) Liverpool had an attack where two of their players were clearly offside and it was not flagged.  But referees have the final say and all that.   

filham

Agood review Matt 10 and I agree with most of what you say.

Hope Jocanovic keeps the same formation for the next match but I would like to see MacDonald in place of Anguissa who in my opinion has yet to have a good game.
Amazing that after a dozen games I am suggesting that Seri and Anguissa should start on the bench, these were our big money buys who we thought wold really perform for us.

Moltobueno

Have to agree MLM has been looking very clumsy to me so far but last game was different - I think he handled the situations really good.

Basically I feel exactly the same about Bryan/MLM as you Matt :)

IKnowNothing

Thank You! I always look forward to your contributions. The time, thought and effort you put into it is very appreciated.
Its nice to see the team coming together slowly but surely. The aggressive pressing always turns me on.

Burt

Thanks for sharing Matt, really appreciate the time and effort you put in to these posts. Always a good read.

Even though we lost, dare we think this could be a corner turned? Got to put in a big performance against Southampton now.

One James stannard

Matt10 I think I'm developing a bit of a man crush on you, A fantastic detailed write up once again which must take a lot of time and effort. I too am very grateful and appreciate your good work.

Makes a welcome change to the endless garbage posts on here about Gin, garden sheds and fictitious tea ladies!!