News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: would you intervene if you saw a police officer being attacked?

Started by SP, November 20, 2018, 10:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 21, 2018, 11:52:59 AM
About two years ago I intervened to prevent two members of the constabulary, one a WPC having their lights punched out by a group of nasty unpleasant drunken individuals.
The WPC was eternaly grateful to me bless her, and could not stop thanking me.
The other constable seemed a bit of a snowflake to me. Fresh faced and very polically correct, and brainwashed, probably reads the Guardian.
He had the cheek to say afterwards when the Cavalry arrived, not a word of thanks, he said he felt I had been a little heavy handed, wanted me to make a statement because I broken one of the low life's fingers, fractured another's eye socket, although that did look bad at the time, and I found out later I had fractured another geezers cheek bone.
Yet I thought I was quite restrained and was only defending myself when I found they wouldn't listen to reason, and I pulled my punches.
Anyway I told him next time I will just step over his inert limp body, and leave him to it.
I told him at my age he was lucky I was able to help, and he was ungrateful, I thought he was going to burst into tears.
I ended up down the local cop shop to make a statement, the Sergeant thanked me off the record. had to go to court as a witness, and two of these individuals turned up in court in a meat waggon as they were being remanded for other offences, you couldn't make it up.
But would I do it again probably, although I am not the man I was, too much wear and tear, and I would rather die with my boots on, than end up in an old people's home arguing the toss with another old codger over the best armchair in the lounge, but I might need to invest in a stab vest next time I go into battle.

Sounds like you enjoyed the experience Wolly

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on November 21, 2018, 12:53:26 PM
About two years ago I intervened to prevent two members of the constabulary, one a WPC having their lights punched out by a group of nasty unpleasant drunken individuals.
The other constable seemed a bit of a snowflake to me. Fresh faced and very polically correct, and brainwashed, probably reads the Guardian.
He had the cheek to say afterwards when the Cavalry arrived, not a word of thanks, he said he felt I had been a little heavy handed, wanted me to make a statement because I broken one of the low life's fingers, fractured another's eye socket, although that did look bad at the time, and I found out later I had fractured another geezers cheek bone.
Yet I thought I was quite restrained and was only defending myself when I found they wouldn't listen to reason, and I pulled my punches.
Anyway I told him next time I will just step over his inert limp body, and leave him to it.
I told him at my age he was lucky I was able to help, and he was ungrateful, I thought he was going to burst into tears.
I ended up down the local cop shop to make a statement, the Sergeant thanked me off the record. had to go to court as a witness, and two of these individuals turned up in court in a meat waggon as they were being remanded for other offences, you couldn't make it up.
But would I do it again probably, although I am not the man I was, too much wear and tear, and I would rather die with my boots on, than end up in an old people's home arguing the toss with another old codger over the best armchair in the lounge, but I might need to invest in a stab vest next time I go into battle.

Sounds like you enjoyed the experience Wolly

I did not enjoy it one iota, I am a man of peace, although on the night they where men in pieces, yes it got the blood circulating, and working out on my punch bag and speed ball every other day, I have in my garage stood me in good stead. But as already been mentioned they could have been carrying offensive weapons.
By the way the names Woolly, spelt with 2 o's.
Wolly are the turnips I prevented from committing an assault on two members of the Constabulary.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation on this matter.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Andy S on November 21, 2018, 12:45:37 AM
Likewise I think it would be morally wrong not to help in some way. It is not always necessary to put your life at risk

So it's not really morally wrong to stand by then, because you may actually put your own life at risk? This is why the law doesn't require bystanders to help.  It would be immoral to require everyone to risk their live for others at any given moment.

gang

Quote from: Fernhurst on November 21, 2018, 11:53:59 AM
Very interesting post. Like a few would not of hesitated for a second back in the day, but now topping 70 with a season ticket to the medical Centre???
Maybe that baseball bat in the car is not such a bad idea.

I'm afraid it is a bad idea, unless you are going to or coming from playing baseball it's classed as an offensive weapon.

Riversider

Quote from: Brawn on November 21, 2018, 04:00:57 AM
I would like to think I would, but in all honesty I would probably wimp out of it if that ever happened to me.

If you were ever attacked on a night out would you hope/expect members of the public to intervene or would your advice be for them to turn a blind eye and carry on walking ?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: gang on November 21, 2018, 02:11:01 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on November 21, 2018, 11:53:59 AM
Very interesting post. Like a few would not of hesitated for a second back in the day, but now topping 70 with a season ticket to the medical Centre???
Maybe that baseball bat in the car is not such a bad idea.

I'm afraid it is a bad idea, unless you are going to or coming from playing baseball it's classed as an offensive weapon.

I can vouch for him that he plays baseball everyday, three times a day before meals.

Never forget your Roots.

bobbo

be careful woolly you're precious on here we need you.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Fulham Joe

It wouldn't matter to me what they were carrying. It's hard to stab someone when you're unconscious.
So the answer is, yes of course I would help, and I would feel justified in using extreme violence if necessary, depending on what sort of attack I was looking at.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Fulham Joe on November 21, 2018, 03:21:39 PM
It wouldn't matter to me what they were carrying. It's hard to stab someone when you're unconscious.
So the answer is, yes of course I would help, and I would feel justified in using extreme violence if necessary, depending on what sort of attack I was looking at.

Good man, I shall try my best to remember that when I am in a sticky situation.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bobbo on November 21, 2018, 03:06:55 PM
be careful woolly you're precious on here we need you.

👍

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: hovewhite on November 21, 2018, 10:52:59 PM
I think I would!

As a passer by, It is not always easy to assess a situation that kicks off in front of you, and is getting more and more violent as the seconds tick by, when it happens without warning or notice, can take a few precious seconds to sink in.
A lot of people who choose not to fight, isn't because they cannot fight, it's because they choose not to.
Others think they cannot fight, but may have to, to survive, may surprise themselves in a situation where they have to if they want to survive.
Generally there is only so much a Gentle inoffensive peace loving man will take before they will fight back.
But I fully understand why people choose not to.
Also because of health reasons, many people cannot defend themselves even if they wanted to.
Just because somebody may look ok, in more cases than you think, have serious issues with health but decide to carry on as normal as possible, which is commendable and shows strength in character.
As they say, never judge a book by its cover.
These days you have to be so careful who you confront in any situation. These are violent times, with many many cowards now carrying knives.
Even though I did what I felt I had to do, I am not immortal, and it's not everyone's cup of tea, having said that, most people are much braver than they think they are, it can take something unpleasant to happen to make them realise this.

Never forget your Roots.

Forever Fulham

I jumped into a street fight when two punks in their early 20s were starting to mug a middle aged guy.  I was walking out of  law school as an evening studentl and walking to my ratty old car.  Detroit.  1980s.  I didn't see a knife or gun.  Just wanted to help the guy.  Slugged one guy good.  Then kneed him in the face.  Decided at that moment I was in no man's land and froze for a second.  The other guy helped his downed criminal friend up and they ran off.  I helped the guy to his feet and then, don't know why, I just started shaking.  "Thanks, man," he said.  "They weren't going to get nothin'; got nothin' on me ."    You get home OK?   "Yeah."   And as quickly as it started and ended, there was nothing left to say.  I half walked/half ran to my car.  I remember how relieved I felt when I got in and locked the door behind me.  Stupid, I know.  But it was dark.  I had an old Opel Manta back then.  It was always breaking down and sometimes I had to push start it.  Called it the Orange Crate.  By the time I got back to my apartment, I felt proud of myself for intervening.   But it made me question things.  Like what if I had been badly injured or worse?  Was it worth it?  Would I do it again?  They say you should never get into a bar fight, for instance, because anything can happen, and usually it's bad.  But if we all just count on the police and don't do something when the moment calls for it, we're abdicating an unspoken responsibility.  Fine words, but I don't know what I'd do if it happened again today.  I'm so much older, not fit, and married with two children.   Put a big stick in my hand and maybe.  Maybe not.