watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (21/11/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 21, 2018, 07:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The heat's on Mark Hughes with Southampton set to make decision on his future if they lose to Fulham

Mark Hughes is under increasing pressure to keep his job at Southampton
    Saints chiefs are to make a decision on his future should they lose to Fulham
    Higher-ups at Southampton are keen to learn from Mauricio Pellegrino sacking
    They face Tottenham and Manchester United after Saturday's game with Fulham

Mark Hughes is under increasing pressure to keep his job at Southampton, with club chiefs minded to make a swift decision on his future.

The Saints face Fulham, who will be buoyed by the appointment of Claudio Ranieri, on Saturday where a loss would leave the Welshman's position under intense scrutiny.

Southampton chiefs believe they made a mistake in not sacking previous manager Mauricio Pellegrino far earlier last season.

Mark Hughes is under increasing pressure to turn results around at Southampton

Saints chiefs believe they made a mistake in not sacking Mauricio Pellegrino earlier last season

Having appointed the Argentine at the start of the season, Southampton did not fire Pellegrini until March — at which point the club had just eight games to preserve their top-flight status having fallen just one point away from the relegation zone.

There is acknowledgment behind-the-scenes at Southampton that waiting so long to make a material change was a mistake, even though Hughes eventually kept them up.

And there is a feeling at St Mary's that they cannot afford Hughes a similar amount of time and are likely to take decisive action significantly sooner if he can not halt their alarming slide down the table.

Furthermore, Southampton's top-brass believe their squad is far better than their current 17th place position and are therefore concerned Hughes is currently underachieving.

The restructuring of the Saints football operation following the departures of vice-chairman Les Reed and technical director Martin Hunter could buy Hughes some extra time.

But nonetheless there is significant focus on Hughes' position from the Saints hierarchy, who want to see a rapid turnaround in fortunes.

With Premier League games against Manchester United and Tottenham immediately after Saturday's crunch game against Fulham, the prospect of climbing the Premier League table in the next couple of weeks looks a tough ask.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6411399/Southampton-chiefs-set-make-decision-Mark-Hughes-future-lose-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Former Premier League star Luis Boa Morte says he's unable to get a job in management because of his ethnicity

IN THE HUNT for a new face at Fulham, owner Shahid Khan knocked up a list well advance.

The likes of Arsene Wenger, Quique Sanchez Flores and Carlos Carvahal were all considered as Slavisa Jokanovic simply waited for his inevitable sacking.

In the end it was Claudio Ranieri who ticked all the boxes, with Khan admitting it's "pretty evident we are welcoming an extraordinary man to the club."

But for former Fulham favourite Luis Boa Morte, yet again, another role has passed him by without even a phone call.

Since retiring in 2013, the 41-year-old has been forced to uproot his family from their beloved London home and start a coaching career back in his native Portugal with third-tier side S.U. Sintrense.

And after feeling disappointed and frustrated with the lack of chances in England, Boa Morte is starting to wonder if it has anything to do with the colour of his skin.

Speaking to SunSport, he said: "I've been aware of jobs out there, but to get an interview has been hard – I've never even had a phone call. So how hard can you imagine it is to get a job?

"It's as hard as the chairmen and the CEOs want to make it – but it's up to them to change this situation.

"They are worried about the image it may give the club by hiring a black coach. That's the only reason I can see. Unless I hear differently that's what I believe.

"Are other ethnicities less competent than white people? Are we? I don't think so. It's about getting the opportunity.

"It comes back to there not being enough ethnic coaches from various continents in the game and it's true – there just aren't enough.

"People turn around and say: 'No, no, there's this and there's that' but this is the reality.

"It's a shame because I would like to live and work in England. I've worked there before and loved it but people like me are told they won't be a success without being given the chance."

For all the work done on and off the pitch in the UK, including the introduction of the Rooney rule, the statistics are still damning.

Just 7 per cent of the current Prem and Football League managers, and only 2.6 per cent of all the permanent managers in Premier League history, are black or from an ethnic minority background (BAME).

And since 2000, 25 per cent of white ex-players have been given a managerial role after retiring. For black players, it is just 10 per cent.

In Boa Morte's case, you can see why he feels slightly hard done by.

He arrived in England 20 years ago in the hands of Arsene Wenger at Arsenal, and went on to claim The Double in his first season before making over 200 appearances for Fulham.

Brief spells at Southampton, West Ham and Chesterfield cemented his status as a household name in English football before turning his hand to coaching.

Committing the last four years to academy football with Fulham and Sporting Lisbon from U13s all the way up to U23s, Boa Morte feels he can do no more.

The former Portuguese international said: "For every Thierry Henry, there is a Sol Campbell.

"Sol has given so much to British football. He has played in World Cups, European Championships, Champions League finals.

"He has the right presence and attitude. He has the respect of everyone and respects everyone. What else does he need to do to get a job – or a chance?"

Boa Morte added: "It's the same being a black player. You're not going to see him playing differently – the football is played the same all around the world. There are referees and it is 11v11.

"But people doubt how competent you are. How willing you are to keep fighting and keep your position.

"If I get the chance to be a coach anywhere, I'm going to work my socks off to keep the job.

"But the desire is to have that feeling of pressure. I've spent my coaching life working with U18s and U19s but you don't have that pressure. You then never work out how good you are.

"There are people who would like to just be academy coaches. I've done my years of the academy work, but now it's time to have that role with more pressure.

"I need that chance for an interview, because you never get them. People turn you down without even speaking to you to see what your plans are and how you see football."

How does he see football? His sources of inspiration reel off the tongue.

Alan Curbishley. Gianfranco Zola. Steve Clarke. Avram Grant. Kevin Keen. Dave Jones. Jean Tigana. Christian Damiano. Chris Coleman. Luiz Felipe Scolari. Steve Kean.

But after a 30-minute chat, it's clear Mr. Wenger was the ultimate influencer as he describes one of the problems with the Premier League.

"You need to give the chance for young players to come through and to shine," Boa Morte says.

"The future is always made from young players. You have to give them good foundations in the academy to be ready when they come through. It has to be like that.

"People have been working hard on that in England for the last four or five years. Now we need them shining in the Premier League."

He's done the hard graft. He has the experience. He has the knowledge and the desire to push through youth.

All he wants is an interview to show skin colour doesn't matter.

This story originally appeared in The Sun.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/premier-league/former-premier-league-star-luis-boa-morte-says-hes-unable-to-get-a-job-in-management-because-of-his-ethnicity/news-story/d5351eadefd4e9016e6d523c861570bd?nk=b9ee887694c50288f83aa29173634574-1542789999

WhiteJC

Revealed: 44% of Liverpool fans want centre-back Joel Matip sold in January

After a recent report from Turkish website A Spor claimed Liverpool centre-back Joel Matip was a target for both Fenerbahce and Fulham, a Football FanCast poll has shown that only a slight majority of Liverpool fans want to keep him at the club beyond January.

A Spor claim that Liverpool's former director of football Damien Comolli is keen on bringing Matip to his current club in Turkey, but he will face competition from Fulham's new boss Claudio Ranieri as the Italian looks to tighten up the leaky Cottagers defence having taken over from Slavisa Jokanovic last week.

Matip has another two years to run on his contract at Anfield though after his free transfer from German side Schalke 04 in the summer of 2016, and 56 per cent of Liverpool fans said that they didn't want to see the 27-year-old Cameroon international sold in January.

The 44 per cent of fans that did want to see Matip sold though is a large proportion considering the 6ft 5in giant is one of only four senior centre backs at Anfield, and any sale would surely put the Reds at risk if they were to suffer an injury in that position.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/liverpool/revealed-44-of-liverpool-fans-want-centre-back-joel-matip-sold-in-january

WhiteJC

BoConcept Competition

WIN A LIMITED EDITION ICONIC IMOLA CHAIR & FULHAM FC TICKETS

To celebrate a decade of BoConcept's iconic Imola chair and its unique Danish design, they're giving away one of only 600 limited-edition Imolas, plus four tickets to see Fulham FC play this season.

To enter for free, simply visit this link: http://www.boconcept-london.com/store/fulham/

The Imola chair has grown to become one of the brand's most iconic designs and is instantly identifiable.

This limited edition Imola chair is handcrafted in an all-new soft, luxurious black velvet with new matt black wireframe base.

Your one-of-a-kind Imola chair will arrive with its own numbered plaque, commemorative booklet, and certificate of authenticity.

Be quick, entry closes Sunday 25th November!

Terms and conditions apply.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/november/21/boconcept-competition