watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (16/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 16, 2010, 06:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/15/squad-sheets-fulham-tottenham-hotspur?
Squad sheets: Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur

Fulham are still unbeaten in the league, albeit with one win and six draws, while Wednesday's Champions League trip to Milan to face Internazionale will not be far from Tottenham's thoughts. So if there is to be winner it is more likely to be Mark Hughes's team, although another draw looks the safer bet. The visitors will look to Rafael van der Vaart carrying on where he left off against Aston Villa a fortnight ago and Harry Redknapp must be relieved that his injury-stricken defence will be spared the attentions of Bobby Zamora, recovering from a broken leg. David Lacey

Venue Craven Cottage, Saturday 3pm

Tickets Sold out

Last season Fulham 0 Tottenham 0

Referee M Dean

This season's matches 6 Y18, R0, 3.00 cards per game

Odds Fulham 19-10 Tottenham 8-5 Draw 12-5

Probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic

Fulham

Subs from Etheridge, Kamara, Riise, Dalla Valle, E Johnson, Stoor, Greening, Halliche, Dikgacoi, Elm, Briggs

Doubtful Stoor (groin)

Injured Duff (calf, 23 Oct), Etuhu (ankle, 23 Oct), A Johnson (knee, 23 Oct), Kelly (calf, 23 Oct), Stockdale (ankle, 30 Oct), Senderos (achilles, Feb), Zamora (broken leg, Feb)

Suspended None

Form guide DDDWDD

Disciplinary record Y12 R0

Leading scorers Dembélé, Dempsey 2

Tottenham

Subs from Cudicini, Pletikosa, Corluka, Gallas, Palacios, Kranjcar, Giovani, Bentley, Kaboul, Pavlyuchenko, Keane

Doubtful Assou-Ekotto (knee), Bentley (match fiteness), Gallas (groin), Kaboul (hamstring), King (groin/knee)

Injured Dawson (knee, 30 Oct), Defoe (ankle, Nov), O'Hara (back, Nov), Woodgate (groin, unknown)

Suspended None

Form guide WLWDLW

Disciplinary record Y9 R0

Leading scorer Van der Vaart 3

Match pointers

• Mark Hughes has drawn 14 of his last 18 matches as a Premier League manager

• Tottenham have scored 99 away goals in Premier League London derbies

• Fulham have the best crossing accuracy (27%) in the Premier League this season

• Tottenham have not won at Fulham in the top flight since March 2002

• Fulham have made more defensive clearances (328) than any other side in 2010-11

• If selected, Jermaine Jenas will be making his 250th Premier League appearance

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/wolverhampton-wanderers/8067568/Tony-Pulis-and-Mick-McCarthy-attack-Danny-Murphy-for-bad-tackles-allegations.html?
Tony Pulis and Mick McCarthy attack Danny Murphy for 'bad tackles' allegations
Tony Pulis and Mick McCarthy have strongly criticised Danny Murphy for saying last week that the managers of Stoke City, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers encouraged their players deliberately to rough up their opponents.

Flash point: Nigel de Jong's tackle which left Hartem Ben Arfa with a broken leg Photo: REUTERS

A day after Sam Allardyce, the Blackburn manager, said that Murphy should be "man enough" to apologise to their faces, Pulis and McCarthy accused the Fulham captain of being "completely wrong" in describing Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves players as "too pumped up".

And they claimed that he was too spineless to level similar charges at some of the bigger Premier League clubs.

Pulis, the Stoke manager, read out a two-page statement in which he accused Murphy of possessing a selective memory.
He also accused him of being cowed into picking on "easy targets" rather than focusing on the so-called Premier League "big boys" because he was pursuing a private agenda of becoming a media pundit.

Recalling tackles by Nigel de Jong on Hartem Ben Arfa, which left the Newcastle player with a broken leg, and Joe Cole on Arsenal's Laurent Koscielny, who was carried off on a stretcher but returned later in the game, Pulis questioned why Murphy had not mentioned the episodes.

His conclusion was that the midfielder did not want to take on the likes of Manchester City or Liverpool.

Pulis said: "One challenge by De Jong recently led to a broken bone.

"Another by Cole, one of our most technically gifted players, resulted in a sending off for one of our most celebrated clubs, currently managed by Roy Hodgson, whom I have great respect for.

"Even the technically best players are prone to making mistimed challenges. But have they really been sent out to hurt a fellow professional? I don't think so.

"How ironic is it that Danny chose not to discuss either challenge or manager in respect of those tackles? How selective can someone be?

"Maybe Murphy's pursuit of a new career in the media does not allow him to criticise, or fall out with the Premier League big boys.

"Instead, in my opinion, he has selected easy targets that are based on perception and not facts."

McCarthy, meanwhile, condemned Murphy for making generalisations about the way he managed his side with no reliable information to support it.

"I find it incredible coming from someone who has never been in the dressing room with me," McCarthy said. "For him to pontificate like he has done is completely wrong. It was a silly comment without a great deal of knowledge."

McCarthy said the only occasion that the two men had spoken, was immediately after Wolves' match against Fulham during which a tackle by Karl Henry left Bobby Zamora with a broken leg.

Murphy shook McCarthy's hand and, according to the manager, said: "Don't worry, I'll make sure Zamora knows it was a fair tackle."

While Pulis defended his club's disciplinary record, pointing out that they were alongside Arsenal in the disciplinary league if last season's figures were also taken into account, McCarthy conceded that his team had to improve their record after collecting two red cards and 20 yellows this season, which left them bottom of the disciplinary league.

He said: "I agree with the sentiment of all managers that none of us send a team out to kick or to injure people. We all abhor tackles that hurt people.

"I was the first to say Henry's tackle at Wigan was a red card. Straight after the game. I never said that I didn't quite see it or that there was sand in my eye like some do.

"I have never sent teams out to be dirty. My teams always try and play football. We can't stop being competitive."

Pulis echoed his thoughts. "We must absolutely guard against rash tackles, whether committed by a most gifted player or just a mere mortal," he said.

"However, we must also be realistic in that we will never completely eradicate injuries in a contact sport."

Stoke are unlikely to make any deputation to the Premier League or the Professional Footballers' Association, but Pulis threw the ball squarely into the supporters' court.

"Stoke fans might have their opinion – people have to do what they have to do," he said.

Murphy will no doubt find out for himself just how the Stoke supporters feel on Dec 28, when he waits to emerge from the tunnel at the Britannia and Eminem's Lose Yourself starts up on the public address system.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/10/15/1753365/know-your-opponent-tottenham-hotspur?
Know Your Opponent: Tottenham Hotspur

Today I had the pleasure of having a chat with Kevin McCauley of Cartilage Free Captain. We asked each other questions, and below is my half of the conversation where Kevin aswered questions about Tottenham Hotspur. Please feel free to go to Cartilage Free Captain to see the first half of our conversation where I answer questions about Fulham.   

Russell Goldman: Tottenham were a very strong side last season and deserved to be in the Champions League. Has your team improved from last season's club?

Kevin McCauley: I think that simply based on the fact that we lost no one while adding Rafael van der Vaart, William Gallas, and Sandro, we have improved. Unfortunately, our long injury list has made it difficult to play at the same level as we did last year. At the same time, Manchester City have also improved and that will make finishing in fourth place more difficult than last season.

RG: Which injuries have hurt the most?

KM: The injury to Jermain Defoe has been massive. We have plenty of quality players, but Defoe is our only player who is a proven goal scorer. Peter Crouch is not the kind of player that can get behind the defense and neither Aaron Lennon or Gareth Bale is a true goal scorer, as talented as they are. Defoe's injury has allowed for Rafael van der Vaart to start almost every game in his natural position, and he has been fantastic, but we're still struggling to replace Defoe's goal production.

RG: I was going to ask you about Rafael van der Vaart. Based on your response it sounds like you are very happy with what he added to Spurs. Could he be even a bigger asset when Defoe returns?

KM: Actually, he might be less of an asset. If Crouch, Defoe, van der Vaart, Lennon, and Bale are all healthy, it is likely that one of them will have to sit on the bench. It's conceivable that van der Vaart could play in the center of midfield, but this would mean that Luka Modric got benched and Tom Huddlestone would be asked to cover a lot of ground. Basically, when everyone is healthy, we're going to have to bench one of the players that most people would consider to be a key player. I guess this is a good problem to have, though.

RG: That is a great problem to have. In our match tomorrow I think a key matchup will be Tom Huddlestone against Danny Murphy trying to control the midfield. Would you agree?

KM: Absolutely. Both guys are good tacklers and have a great range of passing. Huddlestone obviously has a size advantage but Murphy is definitely the more athletic of the two players. I expect them to be fighting for 50-50 balls throughout the game.

RG: We have been talking about many of the strengths of Tottenham. Are there any weaknesses?

KM:  I think this is depending on the health of the players and who is available for selection, as well as Harry Redknapp's tactical decisions. When everyone is healthy and Harry doesn't do anything stupid, the answer is no. However, our injury list is long, lots of players are questionable for the game, and Harry is prone to head-scratching blunders. Our biggest weakness is likely to be in defense, where our players are all struggling to get fit.

RG:  Gomes showed me something last season when Fulham played Spurs at Craven Cottage. I think he has really improved. How do you feel about your goalkeeper?

KM: Despite his poor start to his Spurs career, Gomes has turned out to be a great signing. He was an absolute legend at PSV and last season, he showed the ability that made him a club legend there and the reason why Spurs spent so much money on him. In Spurs' key games at the end of last season against Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester City, Gomes was among the team's top performers and we couldn't have gotten nine points from those matches without his brilliant play. When he's healthy, I don't think it is a stretch to say he is a top five goalkeeper in the Premier League.

RG: If there is one player I could take from Spurs and put on Fulham it would be Gareth Bale. Do you think he is the most valuable player on Tottenham?

KM: Yes, absolutely. I don't think there's any question that Gareth Bale is the best left footed, left sided player in the Premier League. He won games by himself at the end of last year and has done close to the same thing to start the year. Unfortunately, I don't know if Bale is going to be a Tottenham player for long. The rumors that Real Madrid have come calling are circulating, and while Bale obviously loves the club, I don't think his loyalty is so strong that he would turn down that opportunity.

RG: That would be a shame if he left. I have one final question. Please give me your prediction for the match.

KM: Fulham are off to a solid start and Craven Cottage is a tough place to play, but I think that Spurs have too much firepower to get shut out like you predicted. I like a scoring draw, let's call it 1-1.

I want to thank Kevin McCauley for his time and his insight on Tottenham. Please go to Cartilage Free Captain for the first half of our conversation.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6446886,00.html?
Holloway - Murphy is wrong
Seasiders coach slams Fulham man but wants rid of reckless tackles

Ian Holloway has slammed Danny Murphy's view on tackling but admits two-footed lunges must be eradicated.

The Blackpool boss was responding to comments from Fulham midfielder Murphy that some top flight managers pump their players up too much, leading to reckless challenges and serious injuries.

The Cottagers skipper named Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves as examples of sides he believes adopt this reckless approach.

Holloway feels Murphy was out of order in questioning the tactics of established coaches and feels he should not pass judgement on something he knows nothing about.

He said: "He'll have to face the music because I think he's totally wrong. Does he know what it's like to be a manager?

"I've never heard any manager who I've played for tell me to go out and tackle someone and hurt them and break his leg. I think it's a total insult to Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce and Mick McCarthy."

While quick to condemn Murphy's outburst, Holloway admits that it is important to crack down on players who leave the ground when flying into tackles.

He accepts that accidents will happen, especially as the Premier League is played at such a high pace, but feels some players need to tread more carefully.

Improving

Holloway continued: "There's a decision to be made and tackles these days, a lot of them are two-footed, and that's down to the player.

"We used to tackle properly. It's a fantastic part of the game and a fantastic skill but all these two-footed lunges which are reckless, yes we want them out of the game.

"But to interpret some of them as that, I'm not so sure. I don't think (Nigel) De Jong's tackle (on Hatem Ben Arfa) was that reckless, I just think it was an accidental thing.

"I think the one on Aaron Ramsey the other year (by Stoke's Ryan Shawcross), I thought two players went in for it, and that happens sometimes. These players are so quick it's frightening.

"The game is improving all the time but don't take tackling away from the game, I don't like the game if there's no tackling in it.

"Reckless tackles are (when a player thinks), 'I don't care, I'm taking everything'. And I don't see that many in the game.

"I would argue with Danny. It's so easy to say, 'Oh yes, it's happening now'. I don't think so. I don't think you can touch people anymore.

"Danny's a very good player but I think it disrespects the clubs he talks about by saying they do certain things and they're told to do certain things."

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/matches/10110581.php?
FULHAM v TOTTENHAM: LATEST TEAM NEWS

Harry Redknapp has decided to leave it late before he decides whether to play Ledley King at Fulham or save him for Wednesday's Champions League clash with Inter Milan.

William Gallas and Younes Kaboul have returned to training but it is unclear whether they will play tomorrow. David Bentley is on his way back from injury.

Jonathan Woodgate has travelled the world in his search for a cure to his chronic injury problems and after another injection in his troublesome groin, Redknapp said: "We are staying positive and hoping he will play again."

Fulham pair Damien Duff and Dickson Etuhu will miss the London derby.

Duff is being rested in an attempt to overcome a niggling calf injury while Etuhu will be out for between two to three weeks with an ankle problem.

Mousa Dembele is available after recovering from his ankle injury but Andy Johnson is still a week away from a first-team return.

Fulham Squad: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, Pantsil, Salcido, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Halliche, Gera, Murphy, Riise, Dempsey, E Johnson, Greening, Davies, Dikgacoi, Kamara, Dembele.

Tottenham Squad: Gomes, Hutton, Huddlestone, Bassong, Assou-Ekotto, Van der Vaart, Sandro, Jenas, Modric, Palacios, Bale, Pavlyuchenko, Lennon, Crouch, Cudicini, Keane, Kranjcar, Corluka, King.

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/205705/Mark-Hughes-stands-by-Murphy?
MARK HUGHES STANDS BY MURPHY

MARK Hughes has defended Danny Murphy and his comments on over-aggressive tackling, insisting the player is "at the coalface" and ideally placed to see what is going on.

But Fulham manager Hughes did concede his midfielder might regret pointing the finger so specifically at Blackburn, Wolves and Stoke.

Murphy's remarks this week sparked a strong reaction, with Rovers boss Sam Allardyce demanding an apology. But while Hughes says Murphy might regret naming and shaming, he will not tell his player to apologise.

"They were comments, maybe with hindsight, Danny would have felt better about this week if he hadn't actually named the clubs. That was probably something he regrets," said Hughes.

"But you'd have to ask him if he feels he should apologise. Danny is on the field of play and if he has witnessed a change or sensed a change in intent or attitudes, he's best placed to say that.

"We can view from afar and have an opinion but Danny's actually on the field of play and he felt he needed to say something on the issue."

Murphy suggested the three teams he named were being revved up so hard by their managers, dangerous tackles had become an inevitability. Fulham's Bobby Zamora suffered a broken leg in a legitimate challenge with Karl Henry, of Wolves, and Moussa Dembele was sidelined after a robust tackle by Stoke's Andy Wilkinson.

But Hughes, whose side host Tottenham today, added: "I would say it is important to maintain the physicality and intensity of the game. If you take those elements out then you make it a lesser product."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/158517/Tottenham-boss-Harry-Redknapp-s-blast-at-Danny-Murphy-claims/?
TOTTENHAM BOSS HARRY REDKNAPP'S BLAST AT DANNY MURPHY CLAIMS

TOTTENHAM boss Harry Redknapp reckons Danny Murphy got it wrong about managers getting players pumped up.

Fulham midfielder Murphy faces Spurs today in his first match since lashing out at bosses for preparing players for a battle.

"I don't see managers sending people out to kick anybody, and you can't pump a player up," said Redknapp, ahead of the Craven Cottage clash.

"You're not in the dressing room one-on-one saying, 'Come on!' like American football. They aren't nutting the wall and banging heads."

Murphy has been blasted by managers since his comments and Redknapp joked: "I hope it puts him off against us!"
The Spurs boss agrees there have been some brutal challenges recently and he would drop his players if they were guilty.

But he feels Murphy should not have named and shamed the offenders, as Stoke, Wolves and Blackburn are now fuming.

"I think he is talking about a few reckless players who don't even need to be named," he said.

"The same players keep getting sent off or booked every week. They have to calm themselves down.

"You don't have to keep kicking people to be a good player and the last thing you want is to end up with 10 men every week.

"It's the individual that goes out and who is a bit scatty and goes off the rails.

"The only way the manager can calm those players down is by leaving them out and saying, 'I don't need you getting sent off every week'."

Redknapp managed one of the toughest players around when Julian Dicks was at West Ham.

"He was a great player. Dicksy used to put it about, didn't he?" Redknapp said.

"He had one or two reckless challenges but calmed down and in the end didn't get sent off but was still hard and tough."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/158518/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-Murphy-s-got-it-worng/?
FULHAM BOSS MARK HUGHES: MURPHY'S GOT IT WORNG

MARK Hughes admits Danny Murphy will regret naming and shaming three Premier League rivals.

Fulham skipper Murphy prompted a massive reaction when he slammed the tactics of Blackburn, Wolves and Stoke.

And Murphy caused outrage at those clubs by claiming the managers were responsible for the no-holds-barred tackling that has led to a succession of injuries this season.

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce has demanded an apology.

And while Murphy's Fulham manager Mark Hughes – himself a former Rovers chief – insisted that was up to the player, he accepts the midfielder may have got it wrong.

Hughes said: "Yes, they were comments that maybe with hindsight Danny would have felt better about this week if he hadn't actually named the clubs.

"That was probably something he regrets, but I would have thought if you speak to him, maybe he was still trying to make a valid point. Maybe he did it in the wrong way.

"But you'd have to ask him if he felt he should apologise." And the manager added: "He's actually on the field of play. If he's witnessed a sea change or sensed a change in intent or attitudes, then he's best placed to say that.

"We can view from afar and have an opinion, but Danny's actually on the field of play and he felt he needed to say something on the issue.

"Danny's an experienced guy. He possibly will learn from this episode."

Hughes' side will attempt to build on their unbeaten start to the season against Spurs at Craven Cottage today.

With Spurs facing a midweek Champions League clash with Inter Milan, the Cottagers boss knows this is a great chance for Fulham to leapfrog their London rivals.

But he believes opposite number Harry Redknapp will relish the pressure of back-to-back big games that could prove to be a launchpad for the England job.

Hughes said: "The fact that he's in the Champions League is a real stimulus. I think he's enjoying that experience.

"I'm sure, given his track record and the success he's had in recent times, it won't faze him.

"If he gets to the latter stages, it would be fantastic for him. If he can get to the latter stages, he will enhance his reputation."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/10/gatesy's-football-improvement-master-plan/?
Gatesy's Football Improvement Master plan
by GATESY on OCTOBER 15, 2010

Now, I'm pretty sure that when Sep Blatter finally gets ousted from his position at FIFA there's only one place the sports governing body are gonna come looking for his replacement; Châteaux Gatesy. If you ask me I'm pretty much a shoe in for the job, so much so I've already got my business cards printed up.

But, if for some reason, they need even more convincing of my credentials (as if they aren't obvious enough), I have decided on some ways that we can all take this game we call football forward, and make it even more of a horrible addictive drug we have all become so addicted to.

How boring is it when a 'keeper punts the ball up the far end of the pitch from a goal kick, often leading to the opposition defence collecting it and shepherding it back to their keeper, for the process to repeat over. This happened a lot back at Highbury due to their tiny pitch. I'll be bringing in a new rule to counteract this tedium where each team will have a designated child under the age of 10 to take all of the goal kicks from now on. As the ball probably won't clear the penalty area this will lead to far more goal scoring opportunities and exciting, high scoring games. Also defenders will be less likely to happily watch the ball trickle out for a kick if they know this is looming on the horizon. The ten year olds will only be allowed to take the kicks. They'll be brought on and off American Football styleee. More goals, more excitement, everybody's a winner.

Now, it might just be me or he may be making a meal of this...
I don't know about you but I find players rolling around the floor holding body parts as if they'd been shot a bit tiresome. So, when I'm king of football, if a player goes down with a fake injury an opposition player who is closest is allowed to kick the player as hard as they like in the area they are nursing. This'll soon stop it.

Steve McClaren Goes Dutch

For my next initiative I would like to use Schteve McClaren as the figurehead. Any coach working away from their hometown should adopt the accent of the region they now work in. It'll make the post match interviews almost faintly worth watching.

Now we all like exciting football and that happens when players actually try. Teams sitting back and not even bothering to adventure forward is boring (See Scotland's 6-4-0 formation against the Czechs the other week). But how could we possibly stop this? How can we ensure that even when Man United are strolling to success at home with a four goal margin over Wigan? Three words: 'Next. Goal. Wins.'
My five a side team can knock the ball around during a weekend 'training' session for two hours or more no problems. We'll string together a few nice moves, score a few goals, but won't be putting in anywhere near full effort. Then we'll realise it's time for our dinners and the shout goes out that "NEXT GOAL WINS" and everybody knows this is the important one. Now, I know we are not professionals, fairly often training grinds to a halt for players to have a race to the bin and back or to watch the cricket going on next door, but we all know it mean everybody to action stations, we're gonna be going hell for leather to win this. It's exciting. It's frantic. It is the future of football, my friend.

I also think Crab Football is underused in the modern game (so much so I was disallowed from playing it on the coach out to Hamburg), so I shall be brining in two five minutes periods of crab football after extra time and before penalties. That'll separate the men from the boys.

I think these groundbreaking ideas have covered all the bases and when implemented they'll improve Super Soccer© (another idea of mine, let's rebrand it to something sexier which we can also copywrite and make oodles of cash from) no end. But have I missed anything? Have you got an idea to throw into the ring? How would you help me to help the national game?

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mccarthy-tackles-murphy-in-dirty-row-2382077.html?
McCarthy tackles Murphy in 'dirty' row

THE furore over tackling returned with a vengeance yesterday as Mick McCarthy and Tony Pulis delivered their verbal retaliation to Danny Murphy over his criticism of their teams' tactics.

Murphy accused the managers of Stoke City, Blackburn Rovers and Wolves of sending their players out "so pumped up that inevitably there are going to be problems".

"The pace some players are going into tackles is ridiculous," he said. "There are no brains in the players doing that."

Fulham's Bobby Zamora had a leg broken in a tackle by Wolves captain Karl Henry, who is suspended for today's bottom-two clash with West Ham United after being sent off for a challenge on Wigan's Jordi Gomez.

Yet McCarthy said that it was Murphy who had spoken up for Wolves after their defeat at Craven Cottage last month.

"I've only had one conversation with Danny Murphy and that was after the Fulham game when he said, 'Don't worry, I'll make sure Zamora knows it was a fair tackle,'" the Wolves manager said. "If Danny Murphy can analyse my team-talks or beliefs from that one 30-second conversation, then he is a better man than me.

"I find it incredible coming from someone who has never been in the dressing-room with me. For him to pontificate like he has done is completely wrong.

"I agree with the sentiment of all managers that none of us send a team out to kick or to injure people. We all abhor tackles that hurt people.

"I was the first one to come out and say Henry's tackle at Wigan was a ridiculous tackle and a red card. I have never sent teams to be dirty."

- Peter Lansley

Irish Independent

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Kevin-Foley-believes-Wolves-have-developed-a-siege-mentality-after-Danny-Murphy-s-recent-criticism-article601623.html
Wolves stopper: Murphy flak is firing us up

Wolves defender Kevin Foley believes the club have developed a siege mentality after claiming critics such as Danny Murphy are "ganging up" on them.

Mick McCarthy's men have received a lot of flak this season for their combative approach and have the worst disciplinary record in the Premier League – 20 yellow cards and two reds in seven games.

Skipper Karl Henry broke Bobby Zamora's leg in a tackle last month at Fulham and is suspended for today's visit by West Ham for a red card at Wigan.

Fulham captain Murphy claimed McCarthy and some other managers incite their teams to be dirty.

Foley, 25, said: "I think people have been ganging up on us a bit. It turns into a case of us sticking together as a club. This month it's tackling, next month will probably be diving or something.

"We'll just roll with the punches."

McCarthy said: "I've only had one conversation with Danny Murphy and that was after the Fulham game when he said, 'Don't worry, I'll make sure Zamora knows it was a fair tackle' and I said, 'Great'.

"If Danny Murphy can decide on, or analyse my team talks or beliefs from that one 30 second conversation, then he is a better man than me.

"I find it incredible coming from someone who has never been in the dressing room with me, has never worked with me. Apart from that 30 seconds, we've never had a conversation. For him to pontificate like he has done is completely wrong."

But Avram Grant takes the Hammers to Molineux voicing concern about reckless challenges.

He said: "It can't give you a good feeling when you go home when the other guy will be in hospital for three or four months. Players have to think about that.

"The English league is physical and that's good but don't be brutal, don't cross the line."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Kevin-Foley-believes-Wolves-have-developed-a-siege-mentality-after-Danny-Murphy-s-recent-criticism-article601623.html#ixzz12V0jPbQn

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tottenham-boss-Harry-Redknapp-argues-both-sides-of-the-coin-in-the-Danny-Murphy-dangerous-tackling-debate-article601611.html
Harry: Some players are reckless - but they're nothing compared to those American football nutters

Harry Redknapp believes the Premier League's hatchet men are MARKED men in the wake of the Danny Murphy affair.

Murphy has rocked the Premier League with his outspoken verdict on tackling.

Redknapp, whose Tottenham team visit Murphy's Fulham side today, believes all eyes will be on the serial offenders in their respective games this weekend.

Equally, however, the spotlight will be on Murphy who has been roundly condemned by Stoke, Wolves and Blackburn, the clubs he criticised last week.

But Redknapp said: "I think he will just get on with it. He's a good player Danny and he is a very nice lad as well. I don't think he has ever said players go out to hurt people.

"But there ARE some players that go out there who ARE reckless. And we have seen a few of them.

"We have seen some reckless challenges and I think he is talking about a few reckless players who don't even need to be named. You know who they are at the moment.

"The same players keep getting sent off or booked every week. They have to calm themselves down, don't they? You don't have to keep kicking people to be a good player. If they are going to keep throwing themselves into challenges then, as a manager, the last thing you don't want is to end up with 10 men every week.

"You need 11 men on the field to win football matches."

Redknapp believes, however, that Premier League players are not being wound up to the extent seen in other sports.

He added: "I don't see any of the managers sending people out to kick anybody. And you can't pump a player up.

"You're not in the dressing room one-on-one saying: 'Come on!!' like the American football. They are not nutting the wall like they do in American football, banging heads and all that. They don't do that in our game.

"It is just the individual that goes out who is a bit scatty and goes off the rails. The only way the manager can calm those players down is by leaving them out of the team and saying: 'I don't need you getting sent off every weeks. You're doing us in. We need 11 men. Until you can calm yourself and make better tackles and not be so reckless you're not going to play'.

"I had Julian Dicks here at Spurs the other day. He was a great player. Dicksy used to put it about didn't he?

"He's had one or two reckless challenges but he calmed himself down and in the end he didn't used to get sent off but he was still hard and tough.

"Stuart Pearce was strong and hard and there were a lot of great hard men around who tackled hard but fair. But some of the tackles we have seen recently have been reckless.

"People are coming in at 100 miles an hour and if they time it slightly wrong they are going to get a player's career finished."

Murphy stirred up controversy by claiming three managers, Stoke's Tony Pulis, Blackburn's Sam Allardyce and Mick McCarthy at Wolves, wound their players up to be aggressive.

"The only thing Danny has done is named a few people and they have answered back," added Redknapp. "But unless he has been in a dressing room with Tony Pulis or Big Sam or Mick McCarthy then he doesn't know.

"I saw Gerry Francis [the Stoke coach] saying that Tony had a go at his right-back over the tackle he made against Fulham.

"I don't think any manager sends his players out to deliberately make reckless challenges that can finish people's careers. I've never seen that."

Redknapp also dismissed suggestions that the game is dirtier now than before the advent of the Premier League 18 years ago. He went on: "No. Nowhere near. It's quicker. It's highlighted more now because every tackle is looked at. But you had genuine hard men in those days.

"That Leeds United team, well I was talking to my coach Joe Jordan about it the other day. He played alongside people like Norman Hunter, Paul Reaney, Johnny Giles, Billy Bremner – good players who could all dish it out.

"But I just think the challenges now, we see them on TV 50 times and the speed that people are flying in at is reckless. But it hasn't gone crazy. Its just one or two that need to calm down a bit."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tottenham-boss-Harry-Redknapp-argues-both-sides-of-the-coin-in-the-Danny-Murphy-dangerous-tackling-debate-article601611.html#ixzz12V160bII

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-have-backed-Danny-Murphy-and-his-attack-on-brainless-tackling-and-Mark-Hughes-has-advised-Blackburn-boss-Sam-Allardyce-to-get-over-it-article601605.html
Fulham boss backs Murphy's rant and tells Big Sam to get over it

Mark Hughes insisted Danny Murphy has the right to highlight dangerous tackling because the Fulham captain works on the "coalface" of the Premier League.

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce demanded an apology after Murphy named his side among the "brainless" culprits.

But former Rovers boss Hughes said Murphy is in the best position to offer an opinion after playing for over a decade in the top flight.

"He's actually on the field of play – he is on the coalface so to speak," said the Welshman.

"Everyone has a right to their opinion and if he's witnessed a sea change or sensed a change in intent or attitudes then he's best placed to say that. We can view from afar and have an opinion but Danny's actually on the field of play and he felt he needed to say something.

"He is going up against guys who, on occasions in Danny's view in certain games against certain opposition, he feels have maybe over-stepped the mark.

"You have to accept that because even as a manager, you don't know the intent of anybody. Certainly as a player I knew if somebody was stepping over the line or just making a fair and competitive tackle.

"That was the point Danny was making. He was being honest. Danny has forthright views and he is prepared to have his say."

Murphy named and shamed Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves last week and Hughes added: "They were comments that maybe, with hindsight, Danny would have felt better about if he hadn't actually named the clubs.

"That was probably something he regrets. But I would have thought, if you speak to him that maybe he was still trying to make a valid point, maybe he did it in the wrong way. But you would have to ask him if he felt he should apologise.

"Danny has said enough on the whole subject to be honest.

"Sam will feel a bit aggrieved because his club was mentioned and Sam will have the stats to have a different argument.

"It would be much more advantageous if everyone, including those at the clubs mentioned, just gets on with life."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-have-backed-Danny-Murphy-and-his-attack-on-brainless-tackling-and-Mark-Hughes-has-advised-Blackburn-boss-Sam-Allardyce-to-get-over-it-article601605.html#ixzz12V1a1ke3

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/10/15/1752741/my-five-keys-to-victory-for-fulham-against-tottenham-hotspur
My Five Keys To Victory For Fulham Against Tottenham Hotspur

This Saturday, Fulham will be at home at Craven Cottage to play Tottenham Hotspur. The game takes place at 3PM UK Time and 10 AM EST. The game will be shown on Fox Soccer Plus live in the United States. However, there also is another option online. You can watch the game on Foxsoccer.tv live.This is a subscription based service that I would recommend. 

This will be a very difficult home game for Fulham. Tottenham Hotspur are an even better than they were last season. They definitely have upgraded their team with the addition of Rafael van der Vaart. I have a feeling that Harry Redknapp will put out his best side against Fulham, even though they have an upcoming Champions League match next Wednesday against Inter Milan.   

For Fulham, I think the team has played well this season, even though they have only been able to secure one win. I really feel they are close to putting it all together. Right now the one thing they lack is production in scoring goals. The big question for Fulham is when will a few of their strikers be returning to game action? It has been reported that Moussa Dembele has been training this week with the club. Also, Andy Johnson might be close to a return to the pitch. Right now it is unclear if either player will be available for the Tottenham match.

Tottenham have started off well this season .They currently sit 5th in the table. Fulham are currently 10th in the table.

Last season in the league, Fulham and Tottenham played a 0-0 draw at Craven Cottage. Tottenham Hotspur beat Fulham 3-1 at White Hart Lane.

Harry Redknapp is the manager of Tottenham Hotspur. This club has very good players all over the pitch. Gareth Bale can be used in defense or in the midfield. He is a very dangerous player. Rafael van der Vaart is a very accomplished player, and has already scored 3 times for Spurs. Up front Spurs have goal scoring threats in Peter Crouch and Roman Pavlyuchenko.         

Fulham recently have played well against Tottenham Hotspur at Craven Cottage. This game should really be a challenge. Mark Hughes is going to need a high quality effort from his team on Saturday to come away with three points.

As I do before every match I do my 5 "keys" that I hope will lead to 3 points for Fulham. Below are " My 5 Keys To Victory For Fulham Against Tottenham Hotspur."

1. Fulham need to be exceptional in defending set pieces. This key will continue to show up each week until Fulham do a great job on defending these plays. They were better on set pieces against West Ham. To win on Saturday I don't think Fulham can afford to give up a goal in these situations.

2. Carlos Salcido needs to be involved in scoring opportunities. Salcido continues to show that he is an upgrade at the left back position. He was very impressive in the last game against West Ham. His crosses into the box I think are exceptional. He gives Fulham an added weapon in creating scoring opportunities. To beat Tottenham they will need him to active. 

3. Fulham need to keep Tom Huddlestone under control. Honestly, I think this could be the most important key to the match. Danny Murphy needs to be at his best against Huddlestone. He cannot let Huddlestone dictate and control the match for Spurs. Fulham need to be on attack in this game. Murphy will be important in trying to take control away from Huddlestone.

4. Dickson Etuhu has to continue to create scoring opportunities. One of the bright spots this season has been the play of Dickson Etuhu. Under Mark Hughes he is constantly pushing forward from his central midfield position. Under Roy Hodgson he was strictly a defensive midfielder. He has been much more active in scoring opportunities. With the uncertainty at striker right now for Fulham his strong play could be a huge benefit on Saturday.

5. Fulham need to contain Peter Crouch and Roman Pavlyuchenko.  If Fulham are going to win this match, Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes are going to need to do an exceptional job on the Spurs strikers. Both of these players are proven goal scorers.   

I think I made it clear that Tottenham Hotspur are a tough opponent. However, Fulham are great at home and I can see them pulling this game out. I am predicting a 1-0 victory for Fulham. 

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9085479.stm
Fulham    v    Tottenham

TEAM NEWS
Mousa Dembele is available for Fulham after recovering from an ankle injury.

Damien Duff and Dickson Etuhu miss out with respective calf and ankle problems, while Andrew Johnson is still one week away from a return.

Tottenham will be without winger Aaron Lennon due to the back problem that forced him out of the England squad.

Younes Kaboul and William Gallas are not ready to return, but Niko Kranjcar is pushing for a starting spot after scoring three times for Croatia.

Fulham
Injured: A Johnson (knee), Duff & Kelly (both calf), Etuhu (ankle), Senderos (Achilles), Zamora (leg)

Tottenham
Doubtful: Assou-Ekotto (knee), King (knee)
Injured: Dawson (knee & ankle), Defoe (ankle), Gallas & Woodgate(both groin), Kaboul (hamstring), Lennon (back), O'Hara (back)

MATCH PREVIEW
The only time Mark Hughes has experienced defeat in his last 19 league matches as a manager came at the hands of Tottenham when he was in charge of Manchester City back in December 2009.

We look a really dangerous team and it has been a shame that we have not gone on and won a couple more games
Fulham's Simon Davies

His reign as Fulham boss has got off to an excellent start and the unbeaten Cottagers have lost none of the solidity that made them such a force to be reckoned with under Roy Hodgson.

Turning draws into victories is now their priority and they will be confident going into Saturday's London derby, given that they have not lost to Spurs at home in the league since 2002.

Harry Redknapp's men could be excused for having one eye on Wednesday night as they get the chance to test themselves against the very best Europe has to offer when they play defending Champions League winners Inter Milan at the imposing San Siro.

Rafael van der Vaart is suspended for that game so the deadline day capture from Real Madrid, who has been a revelation since signing for the club, will be sure to try even harder at Craven Cottage.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
• Three out of the last six encounters between Fulham and Tottenham in all competitions have been 0-0 draws.
• Both sides have won six of their previous 18 Premier League meetings, with six draws.
• This is the 73rd league meeting between the sides. Tottenham have won 35 times, Fulham 11 and there have been 26 draws.

Fulham
• Danny Murphy stands fourth in the table for the total amount of passes made this season (470). Only Paul Scholes, John Obi Mikel and Michael Essien have made more.
• If selected to play against his former club, Simon Davies will be making the 300th league start of his career.
• Mark Hughes has now drawn 14 of his last 18 matches as a manager, six out of seven games with Fulham and eight out of his last 11 fixtures as Manchester City boss.
Tottenham
• Against Aston Villa, striker Peter Crouch assisted two goals in a league match for the first time in what was his 232nd game in the top flight.
• Tottenham have only been ahead at half time in one of their seven league fixtures this season.
• No player has created more chances (20) than Gareth Bale this season in the league, but he is still yet to be credited with an assist.
• Spurs have kept just two clean sheets in 12 games in all competitions this season.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Fulham
Dembele: 3 goals (2 league); Zamora: 3 goals (1 league)

Tottenham
Van der Vaart 4 goals (3 league);
Pavlyuchenko: 4 goals (1 league);
Crouch: 4 goals (0 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Mike Dean
Assistant referees: Simon Beck & Martin Yerby
Fourth official: Andre Marriner

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Fulham (D1-1 v West Ham, a): Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Salcido, Davies (Riise 90), Etuhu, Murphy, Duff (Gera 69), Eddie Johnson (Kamara 77), Dempsey. Subs not used: Etheridge, Pantsil, Greening, Halliche.

Tottenham (W2-1 v Aston Villa, h): Gomes, Hutton, Huddlestone, Bassong, Assou-Ekotto, Van der Vaart (Sandro 90), Jenas, Modric (Palacios 77), Bale, Pavlyuchenko (Lennon 46), Crouch. Subs not used: Cudicini, Keane, Kranjcar, Corluka.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/wolves-boss-mccarthy-hits-back-fulham-captain-murphy-1182761?
Wolves boss McCarthy hits back at Fulham captain Murphy

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has dismissed the tackling comments made by Fulham captain Danny Murphy.

McCarthy was included in Fulham midfielder Murphy's rant about managers causing the recent spate of horror tackles.

But McCarthy called his outburst "silly" and was at a loss to explain how Murphy knew all about him from one short chat.

Ironically, it was after a fair tackle by Wolves' Karl Henry broke the leg of Cottagers striker Bobby Zamora that McCarthy and Murphy spoke for the first time.

McCarthy revealed: "Danny said, 'Don't worry, I'll make sure Zamora knows it was a fair tackle' and I said, 'Great'.

"If Danny Murphy can analyse my team talks or beliefs from that one 30-second conversation then he is a better man than me!

"It was a silly comment without a great deal of knowledge. He's a poor judge of character."

WhiteJC

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1966678?UserKey=
Hughes defends Murphy over comments on dangerous tackling

MANAGER Mark Hughes yesterday defended Danny Murphy against the growing indignation provoked by the Fulham captain's comments on dangerous tackling.

Murphy last week accused certain managers of firing their players up too much before a match, identifying Stoke, Wolves and Blackburn by name.

The 33-year-old branded some tackles "ridiculous" and "brainless" and insisted managers should take responsibility, drawing an angry response from the trio criticised.

Sam Allardyce led the backlash when he demanded a public apology and the Rovers manager has since received vociferous support from fellow targets Mick McCarthy and Tony Pulis.

Hughes attempted to diffuse the situation by insisting Murphy's views had been taken out of context and refused to condemn his player.

"You must recognise that Danny is on the coalface," said the Fulham manager.

"In his view in certain games against certain opposition, opponents have over-stepped the mark.

"You have to accept that because even as a manager you don't know the intent of somebody.

"As a player I knew when someone was over-stepping the line or just making a fair and competitive tackle.

"There's a lot been said about Danny being disrespectful, but having had conversations with him he has huge respect for the managers of the teams he mentioned.

"Maybe it was because we have recent history with the teams he mentioned, so they were fresh in his mind. If you looked at the whole interview, he was very complimentary to those teams and their managers. It was taken a little bit of context.

"We're disappointed by the reaction to it. Maybe it's understandable given the comments but you must respect that Danny has an opinion.

"He was being honest. He's an honest guy and has forthright views."

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1966678?UserKey=#ixzz12V7mwhfK

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/matches/10110593.php?
FULHAM v TOTTENHAM: BIG MATCH FACTS AND STATS

Mark Hughes has drawn 14 of his last 18 matches as a Premier League manager.

• Spurs have only won one of their nine Premier League away games against Fulham and none of the last eight.

• Fulham have failed to score in the last three Premier League games against Spurs.

• Five of the last eight matches between Spurs and Fulham have ended as draws, three of them goalless.

• Fulham have failed to score in four of their last five matches against Spurs in all competitions.

• Tottenham have conceded exactly one goal in each of their last six Premier League matches.

• Three out of the last six encounters between Fulham and Tottenham in all competitions have been 0-0 draws.

• Both sides have won six of their previous 18 Premier League meetings, with six draws.

• This is the 73rd league meeting between the sides. Tottenham have won 35 times, Fulham 11 and there have been 26 draws.

• Danny Murphy stands fourth in the table for the total amount of passes made this season (470). Only Paul Scholes, John Obi Mikel and Michael Essien have made more.

• If selected to play against his former club, Simon Davies will be making the 300th league start of his career.

• Mark Hughes has now drawn 14 of his last 18 matches as a manager, six out of seven games with Fulham and eight out of his last 11 fixtures as Manchester City boss.

• Against Aston Villa, striker Peter Crouch assisted two goals in a league match for the first time in what was his 232nd game in the top flight.

• Tottenham have only been ahead at half time in one of their seven league fixtures this season.

• No player has created more chances (20) than Gareth Bale this season in the league, but he is still yet to be credited with an assist.

• Spurs have kept just two clean sheets in 12 games in all competitions this season.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/columns/10110145.php?
THE ANDY GRAY COLUMN
PREMIER LEAGUE PREDICTIONS

Fulham v Tottenham
A point at Craven Cottage is a good afternoon's work these days, whilst I'm sure Mark Hughes would settle for the same.
Recommended Bets: Back the draw at 3.35; 1-1 at 7.2

White Noise

My problem with Murphy's rant, and what surprised me about Capello's bench warmers against Montenegro

By Mark Lawrenson

Published 07:30 16/10/10

Danny Murphy generally speaks a lot of sense about football but I thought his views about dangerous ­tackling in the Premier League were a decade out of date.

I simply don't believe that Mick McCarthy and Tony Pulis wind up their players to go out and get stuck into the opposition.

That might have happened 10 or 15 years ago but football has moved on. I think the pace that the Premier League is played at nowadays is scary and a slightly mistimed tackle will land you in trouble.

And a challenge looks so much worse in slow motion from the many cameras around the grounds.

West Ham have improved now Robert Green has started playing like an England international again.

But McCarthy's side just need a bit of luck and I take them to secure a crucial win

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/mark-lawrenson/Mark-Lawrenson-column-My-problem-with-Danny-Murphy-s-rant-about-dangerous-tackling-and-what-surprised-me-about-Fabio-Capello-s-England-bench-warmer-Jack-Wilshere-article601629.html#ixzz12Vkta