Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (15/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 15, 2010, 07:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Murphy claims are insulting - Olly

Published 17:23 15/10/10

By MirrorFootball

Ian Holloway has blasted Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy for his recent comments about Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves - but the Blackpool manager admits there is a problem with two-footed tackling.

Following a spate of serious injuries to Premier League players this season, Murphy accused the managers of the three clubs - Sam Allardyce, Tony Pulis and Mick McCarthy - of sending out players so pumped up that "there is inevitably going to be problems".

Holloway said: "He'll have to face the music because I think he's totally wrong. Does he know what it's like to be a manager?

"I've never heard any manager who I've played for tell me to go out and tackle someone and hurt them and break his leg. I think it's a total insult to Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce and Mick McCarthy."

Bobby Zamora, Antonio Valencia and Hatem Ben Arfa have all suffered broken legs in recent weeks, while in the last round of matches Wolves captain Karl Henry was sent off for a flying lunge at Wigan's Jordi Gomez, who fortunately avoided injury.

Holloway agrees there is a problem with players tackling off their feet but believes the issue has been exaggerated and that the physical side of the game is unfairly penalised.

He continued: "There's a decision to be made and tackles these days, a lot of them are two-footed, and that's down to the player.

"We used to tackle properly. It's a fantastic part of the game and a fantastic skill but all these two-footed lunges which are reckless, yes we want them out of the game.

"But to interpret some of them as that, I'm not so sure. I don't think (Nigel) De Jong's tackle (on Ben Arfa) was that reckless, I just think it was an accidental thing.

"I think the one on Aaron Ramsey the other year (by Stoke's Ryan Shawcross), I thought two players went in for it, and that happens sometimes. These players are so quick it's frightening.

"The game is improving all the time but don't take tackling away from the game, I don't like the game if there's no tackling in it.

"Reckless tackles are (when a player thinks), 'I don't care, I'm taking everything'. And I don't see that many in the game.

"I would argue with Danny. It's so easy to say, 'Oh yes, it's happening now'. I don't think so. I don't think you can touch people anymore.

"Danny's a very good player but I think it disrespects the clubs he talks about by saying they do certain things and they're told to do certain things."

Holloway's Blackpool will aim to continue their stunning start to their first Premier League season when they take on Manchester City at Bloomfield Road on Sunday.

Three away victories, most recently against Liverpool, have propelled the Seasiders up to ninth in the table, but their attempt to secure a first home win will have to be made with Holloway sitting in the stands.

The 47-year-old will serve a one-match ban for his post-match comments to referee Mike Dean after Blackpool's defeat by Blackburn last month.

Holloway admitted his guilt after falling foul of the rule for the second time in nine months, but he does not feel it should have too much of an impact on his team's chances.

He said: "I'll have to shout a bit louder. I'll have a nicer view and I'll probably feel like I'm not in work, and that's my own fault.

"I know the rules. I certainly know the rule E3 now, which I've broken twice, and I can't afford to break it again. I'm just going to have to sit on everything I feel and say nothing, and I should be able to do that now I'm 47. But I probably haven't learned.

"When I don't get what I want I'm not very nice. Being a little fella, some people call it small man syndrome, I'm a jack russell and I think I'm a rottweiler.

"I'm a little bloke with a lot to say and sometimes it's not nice and sometimes I forget who I'm saying it to.

"I'm going to have to change that and it's not easy when you feel totally and utterly that you don't understand what's happening in front of your eyes."

Holloway has no fresh injury worries, with Matt Gilks, Craig Cathcart and Neal Eardley all having recovered from problems that kept them out of international matches this week.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackpool-manager-Holloway-has-blasted-Danny-Murphy-for-his-insulting-recent-comments-about-Blackburn-Stoke-and-Wolves-article601491.html#ixzz12SJhthD0

White Noise

Home Advantage

Friday 15th October 2010

With three of Fulham's next four matches taking place at Craven Cottage, Mark Hughes is hoping a string of good results at home will push the Whites further up the table - starting with Saturday's game against Harry Redknapp's Tottenham.

"We're up against a very accomplished side with a huge array of talent and in fairness, yes they've got a few injuries, irrespective of that Harry has got a lot of talent at his disposal so it's a big test for us," said Hughes on Friday afternoon.

"We have got a big following, full house at the weekend it will be a great atmosphere, as there always is, and we're all looking forward to it. It's always nice to get back against top-notch opposition after the international break; it's the perfect game for us in terms of really focusing the mind.

"We've just come through a period of where we've played a number of away games. We are just going into the next phase of how we manage our own season and the next phase is more akin to home games rather than away games – so we're looking to have a good start against Tottenham because that sets us up for the games we have ahead of us.

"We've been pleased we picked up the points away from home, so if we can go up against an accomplished side like Tottenham and get maximum points we're in good shape as we're one of very few teams unbeaten at the moment.

"From our point of view, being unbeaten raises our confidence. We're playing good stuff, we've been acknowledged for the quality of play that we're producing so it's more of the same to be perfectly honest. We know that if we keep playing in the same manner and with the same intensity to our play, we'll win more than we lose."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/HughesHomeAdvantage.aspx#ixzz12SKMd8TM