Sol Campbell one of the best players in the world

Started by sunburywhite, November 29, 2018, 06:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarks

Quote from: Jamie88 on November 30, 2018, 10:27:43 AM
Quote from: snarks on November 30, 2018, 09:32:28 AM
Quote from: Fulham 442 on November 29, 2018, 09:29:58 PM

I hope the dressing room is big enough for his ego

Absolutely Sunbury. I thought his interview on Sky was very disrespectful to Macclesfield.  Basically they're lucky to have him for as long as he honours them with his presence!

Why, he's applied for loads of Jobs by all accounts, yet Gerrard, Lampard and Barton (who'd just served a ban for illegal betting) all got jobs pretty much straightaway, maybe we should ask why that is first. I think given he had completed his badges, was a very good defender when he played, Maccelsfield are lucky to get him.

The problem with Campbell is he comes across as a complete tit - imo  thats the real reason he hasn't had FL clubs knocking at his door, nothing else. You need more than just being a top player in your youth to getting a job, part of the interview process is "does this guy seem like a dickhead, and if he does, I'm not sure I want to employ him".

Hmm and Joey Barton doesn't?

I have no idea of Sol as a person, but if I was getting turned down for jobs with his skillset in terms of ability and qualifications, I'd be saying I'm better than everyone else.

Brian Clough, who did fantastically well as a manager, also came across as "a bit of a tit" nearly every time he opened his mouth, he fell out with Derby because of a disagreement with the chairman. His attitude didn't stop him getting jobs tho'. I know it was different times, but ......

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on November 30, 2018, 07:35:05 AM
Quote from: MikeW on November 30, 2018, 07:19:31 AM
While I wish him well, Sol's likely undoing will be lack of money for purchases, the lack of a little book crammed with names of likely lads who can perform at this level and, yes, the ego.

Regarding Mr Bendtner, I think he is serving time (albeit on a tag) for beating up a taxi driver in Denmark.  Nothing changes really.

Bendtner was certainly a clown and a steer unpleasant one. Sol was a very good player indeed but whether he has the humility and application to grind out success in the lowest reaches of the bottom division? Let's wait and see. Be good to see a home grown BAME manager come through but the odds are not great.
+1 on all points.  I actually think his references to how hard it has been to find work as a manager was an example of his battle to find work as compared to Gerrard, Lampard and a few others.  As you say we shall see. 

Woolly Mammoth

Nothing sadder for an individual than blaming other reasons for not being successful. Instead of looking at his own shortcomings.
Or does he think he is the only one that gets turned down for this kind of work, others do not winge about it.
But get their heads down and carry on.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jamie88

Quote from: snarks on November 30, 2018, 11:43:25 AM
Quote from: Jamie88 on November 30, 2018, 10:27:43 AM

Absolutely Sunbury. I thought his interview on Sky was very disrespectful to Macclesfield.  Basically they're lucky to have him for as long as he honours them with his presence!

Why, he's applied for loads of Jobs by all accounts, yet Gerrard, Lampard and Barton (who'd just served a ban for illegal betting) all got jobs pretty much straightaway, maybe we should ask why that is first. I think given he had completed his badges, was a very good defender when he played, Maccelsfield are lucky to get him.

The problem with Campbell is he comes across as a complete tit - imo  thats the real reason he hasn't had FL clubs knocking at his door, nothing else. You need more than just being a top player in your youth to getting a job, part of the interview process is "does this guy seem like a dickhead, and if he does, I'm not sure I want to employ him".

Hmm and Joey Barton doesn't?

I have no idea of Sol as a person, but if I was getting turned down for jobs with his skillset in terms of ability and qualifications, I'd be saying I'm better than everyone else.

Brian Clough, who did fantastically well as a manager, also came across as "a bit of a tit" nearly every time he opened his mouth, he fell out with Derby because of a disagreement with the chairman. His attitude didn't stop him getting jobs tho'. I know it was different times, but ......

I'm not defending any other managers ex and present, I'm simply saying that Campbell comes across incredibly unlikeable and that is why I believe other clubs haven't wanted him. There is always more than just whether or not you were a top player

HamsterWheel

Good luck to him. Having an ego hasn't stopped people like Mourinho do well has it?
And he can't be doing it for the money.
Great example to set to other black players - he could make more doing a bit of punditry I suspect.

toshes mate

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 30, 2018, 12:18:48 PM
Nothing sadder for an individual than blaming other reasons for not being successful. Instead of looking at his own shortcomings.
Or does he think he is the only one that gets turned down for this kind of work, others do not winge about it.
But get their heads down and carry on.
Spot on, Woolly, and I think he achknowledges that in the context of the article i.e. he applied for the Macclesfield job.  His success depends so much on the qualities Twig mentions - humility and application to grind it out.  I do not know if he has either but at least he is about to find that out for himself.

Ara's bacon crisps

You'd think he'd be a little more self-effacing starting off at Macclesfield, but I guess you don't get to play for England without a fair amount of ego in there somewhere. It should be good for Macclesfield because of the uplift in profile it's given them and if I was their Chairman, I'd hope he's going to turn the squad into better players. They can't be bad players already if they're professionals and if a former top player can make them all 20% better on the training pitch, then happy days.

Plus, they employed Paul Ince a few years back when they were in a similar position and he got them out of it (before decamping with indecent haste to MK Dons), so they're probably hoping lightning will strike twice.

They were also managed by the underrated Keith Alexander too I seem to remember, so at least they're at the other end of the table for employing black managers. All credit to them.

Only weird thing is they've had the new manager bounce before Sol arrived, by winning two on the bounce, so interesting to see if he can keep that going.

Vinnieffc

I  remember recently Sol Campbell wanted to be a Tory politician.  I heard him in a live interview (LBC I  think) and he made Diane Abbott look bright!  God help The Macc Lads..

Mitch

As a player he was generationally good. An unbelievable centre-back, so when he says that, it's true!

filham

A tremendous player for Arsenal but that is no indication that he will be a good manager. Interesting to keep an eye on him though to see how he turns out, no one can really predict whether or not he will be a success.

sunburywhite

Quote from: filham on November 30, 2018, 05:09:36 PM
A tremendous player for Arsenal but that is no indication that he will be a good manager. Interesting to keep an eye on him though to see how he turns out, no one can really predict whether or not he will be a success.

Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton spring to mind in that category
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Statto

Well two of those names were arguably better than he ever was, and barton is at least authoritative
I've also heard numerous accounts of sol campbell coming across as arrogant and not too bright
He certainly comes across as a difficult character, getting himself in the papers saying things like he would have been England captain for years if he'd been white
So as a chairman, you are thinking, "on the one hand i could give the job to a world class midfielder and champions' league winner like Gerrard, or on the other hand i could give it to Sol campbell who wasn't quite that good, is notoriously arrogant, bound to say stupid things to the media and will probably play the race card if i sack him"
now look what's happened, someone has finally given him the benefit of the doubt and before a ball is even kicked he's making headlines for coming out with ill-judged statements like this
all very predictable really
:doh: :doh: :doh:

Bassey the warrior

What everyone has missed is that he wasn't describing himself he was discussing his new signing.

He's signing Bobby Zamora!

P. S. This may or may not be true.

aaronmcguigan

Campbell is no doubt a smart man and probably has all the right qualifications, but it's the application of the knowledge which is the real test. 
Players like Gerard and Lampard exude leadership, Barton shows the passion and willingness to get stuck in etc, there are many reasons why people get jobs ahead of Sol. Basically calling yourself fantastic and calling Macclesfield lucky because they have him is a terrible way to satart a job, and no doubt an insight to how he acts at interview stage.
If you're going to laud him for his playing career, you also need to look into his loyalty to Tottenham and Notts County who he treated with such disdain which wouldn't hold him in good stead.

I wish him well, and plenty other managers have started at a similar level such as Paul Ince and would go as far to call him lucky to have landed this job having being out of Football for 7 years and only done a few months of informal training with England and a few months as assistant in Trinidad and Tobago