more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: The Wine Thread

Started by Milo, December 14, 2018, 07:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

::wine::

This is the place for all your wine recommendations!

Would love to hear any bargains, everyday bottles, and those for a special occasion!

Milo

I'll kick off with a few bottles for less than £5 that are great value at a few supermarkets:

Lidl Barbera d'Asti £4.99 - have you ever seen 90% Barbera for less than £5? Enjoyed this.
Aldi Sangiovese £4.99 - typical Puglian red for midweek drinking
Aldi Valpolicella Ripasso £7.99 - I know it breaks the £5 bracket but this is a good example of the wine made from recycled Amarone grape skins (which is typically £5-6 a bottle more expensive at least).

KJS

Not a bargin as such but if you want a really decent Red Wine (great with a  Christmas dinner) you can't go wrong with a nice bottle of Italian Amarone there is a good on in the Co-Op at the moment (£18) also Sainsbury or Waitrose carry a good one  :wine:

Holders

Morrison's own brand white burgundy 2015. It came second in some major international wine competition - the one that won costs £300 a bottle more.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

KJS

Another really good Italian Red is: Mondelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo which is about £6 in Sainsbury's

Southcoastffc

Very much depends on your personal like/dislikes (e.g. Amarone is a heavy wine which some folk will find too much) and budget but take a look here for some ideas:
http://supermarketwine.com

Also, Waitrose has had a 10 fine wines for £10/bottle promotion recently, some of which have now sold out, and there are some stunning bargains amongst them.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

I Ronic

Many moons ago my then boss would wax lyrically about the expensive wine he was about to pour. After that it was the cheap stuff. Took me a couple of years to cotton on :)

gang

Lidl have a Savinion Blanc from New Zealand using Marlboro grapes; same grape that is used for Villa Maria but half the price.

Woolly Mammoth

A Christmas tip from me at no extra charge. Never tread grapes with your socks on.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: KJS on December 14, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Not a bargin as such but if you want a really decent Red Wine (great with a  Christmas dinner) you can't go wrong with a nice bottle of Italian Amarone there is a good on in the Co-Op at the moment (£18) also Sainsbury or Waitrose carry a good one  :wine:

I concur with your recommendation of your choices of Red Wine 🍷 👍

Never forget your Roots.

Carborundum

For everyday there great value in Portuguese red, Argentinian Malbec, South African Chenin Blanc and Austrian Gruner Veltliner.  Practically anything from the south of France is worth a try.   Don't buy rose until the new vintage arrives in the spring..

For a special bottle for Christmas Day, Chateauneuf du Pape will taste way better than Bordeaux or Burgundy at the same price level.

davew

Vina Sol (Spain) - white wine, often on offer at Asda, Tesco or Sainsbury's sometimes as low as £4.16 bottle when you buy 6 or more, I normally buy about 100 (lol). Normal price is often £7 to £7.50 a bottle.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Cambridge Pete

We all like different things. Found a nice smooth and fruity red. Shy Pig at B&M £3.99 per bottle. A quaffable red.

ken 44

A very good wine for a reasonable price is Majestics Parcel Series Monterey Pinot Noir £11.99,
I would only post this for fellow supporters as it is to good for others.

Tempest

Anything red by D'Arenberg.  The dead arm and ironstone pressings in particular. Love grass a touch lighter and stunning with cheese. These people don't make average wine

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Lighthouse

And you wonder why Fulham have the reputation they have.  :005:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Milo

Tesco's "Zesty White" is £3 something and is worth a go! Crisp apples.

Southcoastffc

It might be worth bearing in mind that the cost of Excise Duty and VAT on EVERY bottle of still wine, irrespective of price and quality, is roughly £3.  Factor in production, distribution and profit margins and if you buy a bottle costing £5, you're getting around 35 pence worth of wine.  Buy a £10 bottle and you're getting about £2.75 worth and a £20 bottle gives you about £7 of wine.  But the only important matter is what tastes good to you!   :wine:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on December 15, 2018, 09:31:11 AM
We all like different things. Found a nice smooth and fruity red. Shy Pig at B&M £3.99 per bottle. A quaffable red.

When I started reading your first sentence, I thought you were talking about a woman you had just met.

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham 442

And you wonder why Fulham have the reputation they have. 

Yes best brace ourselves for a few choruses of "Does your butler know you're here" this evening!