watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: The Wine Thread

Started by Milo, December 14, 2018, 07:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gang

As Oscar Wilde said "There's no such thing as a bad wine, there's only wine you like and wine you don't like.

cheese pie

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: Fulham 442 on December 15, 2018, 11:33:08 AM

And you wonder why Fulham have the reputation they have. 

Yes best brace ourselves for a few choruses of "Does your butler know you're here" this evening!

Never mind my butler, what's my sommelier up to?
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Woolly Mammoth

My Butlers Butler has just corked the wine.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Equalizer

I've just ordered 3 bottles of this. My all time favourite red wine: D'Arenberg - The Dead Arm, shiraz 2014 vintage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017LOXUFY?ref_=pe_3187911_329634611_E_304_dt_1

Oddbins do a lovely Aussie shiraz called 'First Creek' too. It's £16 a bottle, but it's worth it. Lovely drop.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Tempest on December 15, 2018, 09:52:46 AM
Anything red by D'Arenberg.  The dead arm and ironstone pressings in particular. Love grass a touch lighter and stunning with cheese. These people don't make average wine

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

:wine:  0001.jpeg
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on December 15, 2018, 08:02:52 AM
Vina Sol (Spain) - white wine, often on offer at Asda, Tesco or Sainsbury's sometimes as low as £4.16 bottle when you buy 6 or more, I normally buy about 100 (lol). Normal price is often £7 to £7.50 a bottle.

Is your elaborate and spacious wine cellar fully stocked for the Festive Season Dave ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Franzia - 3 litre wine box = about $10-$11
All sorts of types, although I hate to admit, my favourite is......Sunset Blush or White Zinfadel.
Blotto for a week for a pound a day !
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

jarv

A wine boffin once told me. Taste it, if you like it then it is a good wine.   xma2

The Rock

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 20, 2018, 01:02:29 PM
I've just ordered 3 bottles of this. My all time favourite red wine: D'Arenberg - The Dead Arm, shiraz 2014 vintage.

Oddbins do a lovely Aussie shiraz called 'First Creek' too. It's £16 a bottle, but it's worth it. Lovely drop.

And the Footbolt as well - two of my fav oz wines.

gezkc

Everyone has different tastes, so I won't make any personal recommendations, but I do recommend "The Best Wines in the Supermarket" by Ned Halley. It comes out each year and is a really useful book for taking to the shops. He splits all the wines up by supermarket and scores them out of 10, with an explanation of what makes them special. I've found some real gems with it, some I never would have tried otherwise:

Best Wines in the Supermarket 2019 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0572047460/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kX9gCbRGY2P15

sunburywhite

I have just ordered a bottle to see how good you all say it is

If we win on Saturday I will open it to celebrate

If we get beat I will open it to drown my sorrows

If we draw then what the fcuk, I will drink it anyway
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Milo

I think I'll definitely try the Morrison's White Burgandy someone recommended. A few others too!

Thread of the year in my opinion  :wine: :dft011:

HV71

Yes it's a vin vin situation

Burt

Quote from: Milo on December 19, 2018, 10:06:53 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 16, 2018, 09:11:20 AM
Rather have a bottle of Bombardier (Tesco £1-70)
Or a draught Guiness at the local. :beer:

Considered making a beer section too...

Castle Rock is the local brewery in Nottingham and does a few great bottles available nationwide. Elsie Mo is my favourite but it's a golden ale and not suited for winter.

Drank Three Tuns (Bishops Castle) Old Scrooge porter which was pretty heavy at 6.5%, but retained a lot of that smoothness from their stout so I imagine it's made similarly. Struggled to taste the supposed gingerr notes, though.

Salopian Midnight Express stout tastes very confused. Floral like a golden ale, but heavy charcoal like a traditional stout. Trying to do too much.

I had a weekend living on Yorkshire Black and Oblivion recently - both decent pints.

The Equalizer

It's a wine I've loved for over 10 years, since I met the owner of the winery when I was out in Oz. I introduced a wine loving friend of mine to it and he said its the best wine he'd ever tasted.

It needs decanting for about 45 mins though. Worth the wait!

Quote from: sunburywhite on December 20, 2018, 06:48:08 PM

I have just ordered a bottle to see how good you all say it is

If we win on Saturday I will open it to celebrate

If we get beat I will open it to drown my sorrows

If we draw then what the fcuk, I will drink it anyway
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

MikeW

Where I live in darkest, dampest Gloucestershire we have just got our first Aldi.  We have Sainsbury, Morrisons, Tesco and Waitrose so we are well served.

I've used Aldi/Lidl a few times in nearby towns but Mrs W and I did a Xmas shop, including wines/beers.  Wow, it was noticeably cheaper - we were both going around saying, blimey, that's £XX in the others!

OK we're a bit behind the times down here but it has its compensations in that we live on a National Trust Common but we feel we're up to speed a bit more now.  Happy holidays one and all - and of course COYW!  We'll be tuned in on Wed lunchtime ... with bargain refreshments!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Holders

Quote from: MikeW on December 21, 2018, 04:51:56 PM
Where I live in darkest, dampest Gloucestershire we have just got our first Aldi.  We have Sainsbury, Morrisons, Tesco and Waitrose so we are well served.

I've used Aldi/Lidl a few times in nearby towns but Mrs W and I did a Xmas shop, including wines/beers.  Wow, it was noticeably cheaper - we were both going around saying, blimey, that's £XX in the others!

OK we're a bit behind the times down here but it has its compensations in that we live on a National Trust Common but we feel we're up to speed a bit more now.  Happy holidays one and all - and of course COYW!  We'll be tuned in on Wed lunchtime ... with bargain refreshments!

Rodborough?

Here in deepest darkest mid-Devon we're just about to get our first Lidl.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

This is a damn good thread. I can recommend the Croft Purple Velvet Port on offer in Tesco at £8 a bottle - it's very smooth if you like it that way. However, I don't recommend drinking a whole bottle in an evening as I did last Sunday...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria