more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: The Wine Thread

Started by Milo, December 14, 2018, 07:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

Quote from: Holders on December 21, 2018, 07:36:19 PM
This is a damn good thread. I can recommend the Croft Purple Velvet Port on offer in Tesco at £8 a bottle - it's very smooth if you like it that way. However, I don't recommend drinking a whole bottle in an evening as I did last Sunday...

Holders thank you!!! Was staring at Port options in M and S and decided I'd hold off and ask the FOF faithful..

Holders

Quote from: Milo on December 21, 2018, 08:06:33 PM
This is a damn good thread. I can recommend the Croft Purple Velvet Port on offer in Tesco at £8 a bottle - it's very smooth if you like it that way. However, I don't recommend drinking a whole bottle in an evening as I did last Sunday...

Holders thank you!!! Was staring at Port options in M and S and decided I'd hold off and ask the FOF faithful..

You're very welcome! I'm normally a Taylor's man, and Morrisions have 2015 LBV (I believe) on good offer at the moment, but the Croft is so good I made a special trip to Tesco's.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Milo

Any suggestions for tonight please?

Penfold

Quote from: Milo on January 29, 2019, 02:17:45 PM
Any suggestions for tonight please?

If you want wine what about some Amontillado sherry? Medium dry and does the trick 🥳

Milo

Morrison's Negroamaro now on offer at £6.50.

Has those various meaningless Silver awards stuck all over it.

Anyway, it's proper Negroamaro. Rich, slightly sour blackcurrant. It's almost a perfect south Italian red. You get a lot of bog standard Primitivo with unadventurous blackcurrant flavours but this grape (when done well) really encapsulates what I look for in Puglian reds. At £6.50, you get a real taste of that!

Milo

White Burgandy. As troublesome as choosing our front three right now. Lots on the market, and only so much wine one can drink.

Tesco you start to get the butter come through that I love. M and S not bad (and what I'm on tonight). Avoid Aldi's offering only as it's too sharp and not what you will be looking for. Lidl's Macon Villages at £6.99 offers the best value.

As ever, let it warm up a bit out the fridge to get the flavours.

Milo

Aglianico from M and S. £9.

Quite unique compared to the normal S Italian reds.

Pontius Pilate drank it in Master and Margarita! Fun fact... god how long have I been quarantined for.. need to sort my life out

love4ffc

Quote from: Carborundum on December 15, 2018, 07:24:30 AM
For everyday there great value in Portuguese red, Argentinian Malbec, South African Chenin Blanc and Austrian Gruner Veltliner.  Practically anything from the south of France is worth a try.   Don't buy rose until the new vintage arrives in the spring..

For a special bottle for Christmas Day, Chateauneuf du Pape will taste way better than Bordeaux or Burgundy at the same price level.
Love the south of France wine and the Argetinian Melbec. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

RaySmith

Lilac wine - it's  sweet and heady.

https://youtu.be/N0RfTsZvk4M

I usually  buy Morrisons South African red, because it's  about 3.50, and 12 percent.

Not of a generation or background  bought up to drink wine. My parents had a bottle of Spanish Sauternes in a corner of their bedroom,  covered in dust, brought out at Christmas but rarely drunk.

I used to go in sometimes when they were out and take  swig -it was disgusting.

Once, many years ago,  i did a Temp Agency job - in Stoke Newington.

It was  a Sunday, and  a few us unloaded a container of kosher wine into a private house.
We were promised a bonus, and this turned out to be a bottle  of the wine.It was very heavy and sweet, I quite liked it.

Milo

All good tips, thank you!

The budget bottle question is a big one Ray, thanks for entering Morrison's into the debate. I suppose it's contemporaries are the Aldi Toro Loco and the Tesco Zesty White.

SP

I got an email from Naked Wines last week asking if I wanted to spend some of the £ I'd built up.  Turns out I must've signed up to some introductory offer after having a few & have been investing £20 a month in their company.  Just purchased a dozen bottles which should help alleviate the boredom of this non-football existence.

bobbo

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 15, 2018, 11:08:58 AM
Quote from: Cambridge Pete on December 15, 2018, 09:31:11 AM
We all like different things. Found a nice smooth and fruity red. Shy Pig at B&M £3.99 per bottle. A quaffable red.

When I started reading your first sentence, I thought you were talking about a woman you had just met.
😂
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Milo

Claret...

May be tempted by the £6.80 St Emillion Cru down from £10.99 in Lidl this weekend...

However I would go for the Waitrose option £9 reduced from £12.

Waitrose option has fresh berry and a smooth Claret finish, the Lidl has sour cherry but a bit rough round the edges.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Milo on March 27, 2020, 05:20:08 PM
Claret...

May be tempted by the £6.80 St Emillion Cru down from £10.99 in Lidl this weekend...

However I would go for the Waitrose option £9 reduced from £12.

Waitrose option has fresh berry and a smooth Claret finish, the Lidl has sour cherry but a bit rough round the edges.
Milo - this sounds well-informed and authoritative -  quite a surprise !!   (....only kidding !!)

Bill2

If a white wine drinker recommend Ora, a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. On offer at Waitrose at the moment so a great buy for £6.99.

Bill2

Quote from: Holders on December 23, 2018, 11:11:54 AM
Quote from: Milo on December 21, 2018, 08:06:33 PM
If you can get it I would recommend Niepoort, not seen in the UK much but their LBV is fantastic. If in Portugal hunt it down, about 12/15 euros a bottle.

You're very welcome! I'm normally a Taylor's man, and Morrisions have 2015 LBV (I believe) on good offer at the moment, but the Croft is so good I made a special trip to Tesco's.

Southcoastffc

If you're after decent quality at a bargain price, this is delicious:
https://waddesdon.org.uk/product/chateau-paradis-casseuil-2017-six-bottle-case/

And, although not available online currently, I've been enjoying Portuguese Dao Gym as an easy drinking red at about 6£/bottle.  Portugal often seems to offer good bargains.   :wine:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Milo

I will pick up a bottle of NZ S Blanc tomorrow as an "essential trip", thank you!

I feel I did the Lidl St Emilion Grand Cru a little disservice. It's decent value at £6.80 or whatever it is. Quaffable!

Whitesideup, please don't be conned into trusting my opinion. I remind you of when I declared Betts would become England number 1 this year. Utter dribble.

Milo

Lidl's wine tour this autumn is slim pickings but I like their Valle del Rapel Carmenere £7.99.

mrmicawbers

Prefer white so a Macon Village,or any Viognier for me.