watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ranieri in the transfer market

Started by jeremyfulham, December 17, 2018, 09:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremyfulham

What is Claudio's record in the transfer market ? Am I right in thinking Walsh was behind many of the Leicester City signing ?
I think we MUST go for proven Premier League players who can hit the ground running ( no time to bed in ) but that will be easier said than done trying to persuade them to come and join a relegation battle .
Am i right in thinking we cannot take loanees from England as we already have 2 ? Can we send Mensah back or is he season long ?
COYW  049:gif

filham

Quote from: jeremyfulham on December 17, 2018, 09:03:10 AM
What is Claudio's record in the transfer market ? Am I right in thinking Walsh was behind many of the Leicester City signing ?
I think we MUST go for proven Premier League players who can hit the ground running ( no time to bed in ) but that will be easier said than done trying to persuade them to come and join a relegation battle .
Am i right in thinking we cannot take loanees from England as we already have 2 ? Can we send Mensah back or is he season long ?
So , right, agree with every word, and we want these players at the Cottage on 2nd January. The deals should be almost completed and ready for signing by now.

MJG

Quote from: filham on December 17, 2018, 11:12:54 AM
So , right, agree with every word, and we want these players at the Cottage on 2nd January. The deals should be almost completed and ready for signing by now.
Just building yourself up to be able to moan on here.

Show me another signing at anyclub who has joined on jan 1st and played on jan 2nd. I'll wait.
Just the views of a long term fan

elgreenio

we play Burnley on the 12th of Jan, i'd like to think we can get a couple over the line by then. Not necessarily to play in that game or even Spurs a week later, but to be somewhat acclimatized by the end of Jan instead of still waiting at the Motspur Park train crossing to get in to sign a contract
touch my camera through the fence

Statto

Quote from: MJG on December 17, 2018, 11:28:39 AM

Show me another signing at anyclub who has joined on jan 1st and played on jan 2nd. I'll wait.

Kongolo at Huddersfiled last year

MJG

Quote from: Statto on December 17, 2018, 11:36:39 AM

Joined 2nd and then played FA CUP on 6th, close but no cigar

aaronmcguigan

It seemed as if we waited until the promotion was confirmed before we done any work, which held us back, understandably so.
However, we have glaring weaknesses in our team, we have a lack of premier league depth, and a lack of fight and belief.  You could also argue that Mitro, Sess, Cairney and Rico aside, there is an absolute lack of class and character
So I think the consensus is , we need players and we need them as soon as possible. Summer was different as it could be argued we had a lack of time and we signed players based on the previous season, not knowing the make up of our squad.
Now we have full knowledge of our squad, our shortcomings and we have the ability to scout potential signings week in week out through league games. We also had the opportunity to be patient , negotiate deals and hold out for better offers as we weren't losing time and games. Therefore it is imperative we get the players in as soon as possible and allow them the opportunity to make a difference.
It may end up costing us money but we've already shown we're a team who waste money at ease so every selling team Will already want top dollar anyway. Marseilles are still double checking the amount of zeros on Zambos deal!

Statto

Quote from: MJG on December 17, 2018, 11:55:11 AM
Quote from: Statto on December 17, 2018, 11:36:39 AM

Joined 2nd and then played FA CUP on 6th, close but no cigar
Filham has not said they need to play on the 2nd and in any case we do not have a game on the 2nd.
He said they should be "at the cottage on the 2nd"
In any case, in reality we both know what is needed is, players signed in time for a few days training and familiarisation in time to go into the team for the Burnley game. Which is what Huddersfield did last year for their equivalent fixture with Kongolo (and Pritchard).
So let's see if we can also get a couple of quality first team players here in that timeframe.   

filham

I never said the new players would be ready to play on Jan 2nd but I see no reason why they should not be playing in early Jan. Plenty of deals are signed off early in the window. Fredericks move to West Ham was agreed early.

If Ranieri knows who he wants we should go out there and get him without messing about throughout the duration of the window in the hope that the price may fall.

MJG

Quote from: filham on December 17, 2018, 12:50:26 PM

I never said the new players would be ready to play on Jan 2nd but I see no reason why they should not be playing in early Jan. Plenty of deals are signed off early in the window. Fredericks move to West Ham was agreed early.

If Ranieri knows who he wants we should go out there and get him without messing about throughout the duration of the window in the hope that the price may fall.
Well as usual its also down to the club owning tyhe player if they want to let go. We all know how windows pan out we fgo through this every season twice a year, we are not unique or anyworse or better than anyone else on timings of transfers.

Statto

Quote from: MJG on December 17, 2018, 12:53:33 PM
Well as usual its also down to the club owning tyhe player if they want to let go. We all know how windows pan out we fgo through this every season twice a year, we are not unique or anyworse or better than anyone else on timings of transfers.

Here we go, get those excuses in early.

As the team in 20th Fulham, more than any other club, should be desparate to do quick business in January, just as we should have in June as a newly-promoted club with a load of loanees leaving.

As noted above, Huddersfield managed last year to get two quality players signed before the mid-January fixtures.

And I will repeat the numbers I mentioned in August which show how actually, we're one of the slowest PL clubs when it comes to signing players.

• There were 91 transfers to the other 19 PL clubs this summer - 27 in June, 31 in July, and 33 in August. So a slight skew toward August but not massive.
  • We completed 0 transfers in June, 5 in July (most in the last week of July) and 7 in August. So ours were much more skewed towards the end of the window than most other clubs'.
  • We were the joint LEAST active club in June, as one of nine clubs who signed no one.
  • In August (and indeed, over the window as a whole) we were by far the MOST active, ultimately signing 12 players when even the next most active team, West Ham, only signed 9.
  • The next most active clubs, West Ham, Brighton, Wolves and Huddersfield, each signed 5-7 players in June/July and only 1-3 each in August.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on December 17, 2018, 02:53:47 PM

Here we go, get those excuses in early.

As the team in 20th Fulham, more than any other club, should be desparate to do quick business in January, just as we should have in June as a newly-promoted club with a load of loanees leaving.

As noted above, Huddersfield managed last year to get two quality players signed before the mid-January fixtures.

And I will repeat the numbers I mentioned in August which show how actually, we're one of the slowest PL clubs when it comes to signing players.

• There were 91 transfers to the other 19 PL clubs this summer - 27 in June, 31 in July, and 33 in August. So a slight skew toward August but not massive.
  • We completed 0 transfers in June, 5 in July (most in the last week of July) and 7 in August. So ours were much more skewed towards the end of the window than most other clubs'.
  • We were the joint LEAST active club in June, as one of nine clubs who signed no one.
  • In August (and indeed, over the window as a whole) we were by far the MOST active, ultimately signing 12 players when even the next most active team, West Ham, only signed 9.
  • The next most active clubs, West Ham, Brighton, Wolves and Huddersfield, each signed 5-7 players in June/July and only 1-3 each in August.
Likewise i could say get the moaning in early. Not about an excuse, Id love players to come in early but just as any transfer window the vast majority of deals will happen in the last few days. if we get a couple in first couple of weeks then great.

BedsFFC

All you have showed with those stats is that we were slow in one particular window.

A window that, by a considerable margin, we didn't know what division we would be in until about 6.45pm rght at the end of May.

Stats eh?

S.F.Sorrow

I just hope we won't end up spending lots of money on (ex)-Leicester players. That would be a recipe for disaster IMO.

BedsFFC

It's massive.

Thinking about the previous comments re getting in early. Obviosuly, we'd love it if we did but the players that can make a diffrence wont just be wanted by us. The agents of these players make their corn for this month and they aint going to rush just because we're desperate.

So, maybe it does come down to Ranieri pulling a few strings and calling on players he knows.

It surely can ony be loans, considering our position.

We need to end some loans thats for sure

RaySmith

I don't think CR will bring I players for sentimental reasons - he'll surely only bring them if he thinks  they've still got what it takes - which they may have, but there are other players out there, who I'm sure he'll be interested in.

It also depends on who is available.

MJG

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on December 17, 2018, 03:18:17 PM
I just hope we won't end up spending lots of money on (ex)-Leicester players. That would be a recipe for disaster IMO.
But, but, but, if thats what the manager wants doesnt everyone agree he should have a blank cheaque and yes to everything he wants? Just like we did with Jol (I'll like that GK for £5M please, yes the one with the glass shoulder, but hes dutch so I know him)

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: MJG on December 17, 2018, 03:29:12 PM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on December 17, 2018, 03:18:17 PM
But, but, but, if thats what the manager wants doesnt everyone agree he should have a blank cheaque and yes to everything he wants? Just like we did with Jol (I'll like that GK for £5M please, yes the one with the glass shoulder, but hes dutch so I know him)

LOL, I know I've been critical of our stats based approach but I wouldn't want the manager to sign whatever he wants. I'm all for stats based signing if it's done right. I'm just worried that the person responsible for our stats department and our signings is the owners son who had no experience with "soccer" whatsoever when he was given the job. Stats: yes. Tony Khan: no.

Statto

Quote from: BedsFFC on December 17, 2018, 03:13:38 PM

All you have showed with those stats is that we were slow in one particular window.

A window that, by a considerable margin, we didn't know what division we would be in until about 6.45pm rght at the end of May.

Stats eh?

Well it was a window during which all the usual suspects claimed "we are not slow, it's the same for every club, we can't force players to sign" blah blah blah.

Of course you are right about the play-offs though. We only took 7-8 weeks from the play-off final to our first signings in mid-July, which is super-fast. If we can repeat that exceptional speed with the next window starting on 1 January, we should expect the signings to start around the last week of February. Suddenly I feel much happier and more optimistic.