more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ranieri wants to swap Fulham captain Tom Cairney for Newcastle’s Jonjo Shelvey

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 27, 2018, 09:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Statto on December 28, 2018, 10:42:01 AM
It would be sad to see last season's captain and most important player gone so quickly, with Sessegnon already looking like the only person from that group who has any future at this level.

Amazing to see a manager sacked and his whole team dismantled within 6 months of such a massive achievement.   

However being cold about it, Cairney is looking more and more like one of those players Jokanovic made look much better than he is. I think we have a real chance to get one over on another club, potentially a relegation rival in Newcastle, by selling them a player who I don't see adding much at all to their team. Like when we sold Malone, Aluko and Fredericks. But that window of opportunity is closing because Cairney looks like he is being found out at the moment. 

I have to disagree, I don't think Joka made TC look "better than what he is"
I think TC made himself look as good as he is, he was superb last season.

So far this season he hasn't set us alight but with injuries, system changes etc
he hasn't  caugght fire yet.
He is still our most creative player and the only one with the ability for switching the play, disguising passes,
(as he did to Christie this week) and is still pure class.
His being one-footed didn't let him down against the CS cloggers last season and I still believe he will come good.
But, yes I would love the BarCode BaldOne but not as a replacement, more like a compliment.
JoJo and Chambers would be awesome together and could allow Seri to be pushed forward a bit
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Twig on December 28, 2018, 11:56:19 AM
Some of the comments on this and other threads concerning TC frankly amaze me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just cannot begin to understand the flack the guy is getting.  I am not going to pick individual posts or comments but suffice to say that in my view some are just plain wrong. Ill considered, nonsensical rubbish that makes me think people have a herd mentality, they see a bit of a groundswell of opinion an jump on the trend. I really wonder if some on here ever actually get to a match.
Give the guy a break, he has come back from lengthy injury, is playing under a new manager, different tactics and out of position. It's not that he has been, "found out at this level", is throwing a strop, is disinterested, is suddenly too slow, etc. etc.  Class is permanent, once played in position he will come good, hopefully as a Fulham player but if not then sadly elsewhere.

Pretty much this.   

We saw this mentality of "do at whatever cost" with Slav, now we're getting people ready to ship off a player who many identify as "Fulham football".

If you play him out of position (as a winger) you're not going to get the best of him.    Doesn't mean he should be traded for...what?    What position would Shelvey play on this team???

It's a moot point because a mid season "trade" isn't going to happen.

The Rational Fan

Jonjo Shelvey's statistics for defensive contribution would prevent many other teams buying him as a central midfielder with a defensive role.

During the Summer, we have bought too many players, whose statistical history didn't justify their price tags. I hope in the winter transfers, we get players with good statistics.

filham

Telegraph this morning reports " Benitez said last night there is no chance of Shelvey leaving next month", despite rumours that Fulham are ready to offer captain Cairney, a long term Newcastle target in exchange.

So that sounds like the end of that rumour.

Nick Bateman

It we be madness to swap a talented individual such as Tom Cairney for a failed temperamental chap like Jonjo Shelvey.

Shelvey is petulant, erratic and often injured.  He has a decent "hoof" on him but rarely employs his footballing brain to spot player's movement in attacks, unlike Cairney who does.

TC was one of Fulham's most instrumental players last season, only surpassed by Mitrovic as Fulham's best player.  He has proven quality!

He hasn't settled to the pace of the PL at the moment but Fulham's start of bad form began when Cairney became injured this season.  Because Seri has displaced him, Cairney has not adjusted to his new more defensive role in the squad.

Ranieri will be showing his ineptitude if he thinks an overrated hothead like Shelvey can replace a genuine intelligent skillful midfield general like Tom Cairney.  Ranieri should instead take a leaf out of Pochettino's book and rather develope a young player who is simply adapting to the rigours of the top division.

One hopes some Fulham fans on this forum back a quality performer of our promotion winning side rather than continue dismantling the team in desperate experiments which are doomed to fail.

Furthermore, we should be looking to get Ryan Fredericks back in January instead and offload the wasted millions on the under-performers who appear not play for the shirt.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

One James stannard

If I was looking at getting rid of Tom I certainly wouldn't have him starting today. I think it's fair enough to say this isn't going to happen

BlackWhiteArmy

Shelvey and Mitrovic in the same team again?! Are we TRYING to get relegated? Get Robbie Savage in while on it.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: The Rational Fan on December 27, 2018, 11:18:22 PM
Cairney, McDonald, Johansen and Anguissa have all been disappointing this season
Add Seri to that list. Awful today