watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Your Recommendations - Film/Music/Books

Started by White Noise, October 15, 2010, 03:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

This year is going to be different! I am going to get my Christmas shopping done early. No, really!

Just as a spur to get my creative thinking going - what dvd's have you seen, music have you got or are planning to get and what books would you recommend to help me start covering off some the ground?

Obviously I will be buying a dozen copies of Keith Richards' new autobiography but anything else you can suggest - regardless of the eclectic nature of your tastes - would be much appreciated.  :dft009:

TonyGilroy

Eclectic you say.

Top of my Xmas wish list is the new 15CD +DVD Hank Williams set on Bear Family. Old radio programmes containing mostly stuff never before issued.

The 52CD ABC of the Blues set only costs about £40 and that's a must. Plus the 25CD Perfect Jazz collection. Then there's the Billy Riley outtake set on Bear Family.

Can't wait for Xmas.

RidgeRider

The perfect Jazz collection sounds like a must.

I would also be interested in any book recommendations as I am in a reading rut and could use a bump to get back on track. A great book will usually do the trick.

TonyGilroy

I've been reading Larry McMurtry's books.

He's the writer of Last Picture Show (with 3 sequels) and other western themed books both traditional and modern. His fictionalised biography of Pretty Boy Floyd is particularly good.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: White Noise on October 15, 2010, 03:31:54 PM
This year is going to be different! I am going to get my Christmas shopping done early. No, really!

Just as a spur to get my creative thinking going - what dvd's have you seen, music have you got or are planning to get and what books would you recommend to help me start covering off some the ground?

Obviously I will be buying a dozen copies of Keith Richards' new autobiography but anything else you can suggest - regardless of the eclectic nature of your tastes - would be much appreciated.  :dft009:
Hahaha the mother in law loves sir Cliff, wont have it that he's a shirt lifter. Believe it or not i've got over half the xmas shopping already, have done it early the last few years, as being a gardener i'm always skint in the winter, much more so this winter as this hernia as done me right up. But yep Fat Fred will be finished with Xmas shopping by mid November. Infact my nan and my mum have already had their presents  :54:

FatFreddysCat

Whilst on the subject of books, i was watching a few repeats of a place in France the other day, Nigel Farrell (bumbling idiot) and a Sikh called Nippi (seems a top bloke) buy and renovate a place in France then open an Indian restuarant (with an gay Indian from Clapham) . Anyhow i googled it, and Nigel has done a book, anyone read it? Any good ?

richie17

I started a librarything account 18 months ago to keep track.   So here's everything I've read since then (sort on rating)

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/richallen7

Jonathan Wilson's "Anatomy of England" is a must.  "Bounce" by Matthew Syed is also really good.  (both sport books, obv.)

Chopper's done one too I think - always good to see what others are reading.

RidgeRider

Quote from: richie17 on October 15, 2010, 06:09:26 PM
I started a librarything account 18 months ago to keep track.   So here's everything I've read since then (sort on rating)

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/richallen7

Jonathan Wilson's "Anatomy of England" is a must.  "Bounce" by Matthew Syed is also really good.  (both sport books, obv.)

Chopper's done one too I think - always good to see what others are reading.

Rich, thanks. I forgot about your list. Cheers!

White Noise

I like all of those suggestions - thanks chaps.

As for your list Rich - what a brilliantly varied bunch - and how depressed am I at how many books you read. I have read a number of those but not recently. I must start a list like that to get myself going again. I would also like to hazard a Cracker/Lie To Me/Mentalist type psychological profile of you and your life circumstances and background based on that selection - but that would obviously be rude!!!! :027:

Chopper

My Library Thing list isn't quite as literary as Richard's but it's here > http://www.librarything.com/catalog/chopper68 if you're interested. I'm working back in time so it's just been swamped by the horror books I read as a teenager.

I haven't bought many new albums this year but Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan's "Hawk" is my favourite so far.

Sold my soul to the Green Pole

finnster01

I am building a library in my Harlem apt. at the moment. Your suggestions are very interesting and well thought out and will come in handy.

I have not reached the stocking the shelves in a big way yet, as I need to have it painted, new French doors, and some new shelves put in. I also want the comfy big leather chair under the light with the small table next to support the old single malt to keep you company etc.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

fulhamwannabe

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on October 15, 2010, 05:44:02 PM
Whilst on the subject of books, i was watching a few repeats of a place in France the other day, Nigel Farrell (bumbling idiot) and a Sikh called Nippi (seems a top bloke) buy and renovate a place in France then open an Indian restuarant (with an gay Indian from Clapham) . Anyhow i googled it, and Nigel has done a book, anyone read it? Any good ?
off topic sorry
my godddddddddddd,i watched this report about 2 years ago,and i was wondering what happened?do you have any news about the guy(nigel)?

CorkedHat

We had that series over here fred and it was a classic. I'm not a great fan of the telly but I would actually watch that again.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: CorkedHat on October 16, 2010, 09:08:51 AM

We had that series over here fred and it was a classic. I'm not a great fan of the telly but I would actually watch that again.
If you haven't seen them there's also a place in Greece With two Irons and a husband and wife building a house, even better than the France one and a place in Spain with some Welsh idiot (sorry No Good) wanting to start a snail farm.