News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Gulati being frank about FIFA extorsion?

Started by duffbeer, September 15, 2010, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffbeer

It certainly sounds like it, what else could it be? 

http://unprofessionalfoul.com/2010/09/14/ussf-graft-difficult-in-open-society-hopeful-on-bid/

QuoteWhen questioned about the biggest issues for the inspection Gulati had this to say:

"We did have some private conversations on things that I thought we could make improvements in. We talked about the stadium width issue, specifically as it relates to sight lines. They understood, for example, that the quality of the playing surface in some of the venues now is not what we would have at the World Cup, but we discussed that. We've always known that in an open society like the United States, there are things that we can't do and certain things that we can do, so we had a frank discussion about government guarantees, those sorts of issues. Security is an issue for everyone and that's true for any major international event.

Scrrreeeech. Wut, wut?

That's a pretty public hand slap from the man who cannot cut the cord with Bob Bradley. It is also very revealing as to the expectations of the FIFA crew. The graft of FIFA is always suspected and at times it has come to light, but it probably does not often come from the head of a bidding country,

HatterDon

I don't know. I read the quote twice and it seems to me that he was talking primarily about security and the lack of a police state armed presence.

I'm notoriously naive, of course, but the unnecessary slap at Bradley indicates the guy heard what he was hoping to hear.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

pettyfog

Quote from: HatterDon on September 15, 2010, 02:10:33 PM
I don't know. I read the quote twice and it seems to me that he was talking primarily about security and the lack of a police state armed presence.

I'm notoriously naive, of course, but the unnecessary slap at Bradley indicates the guy heard what he was hoping to hear.

Uh.. Don, you are far from 'hopelessly naive'.. though pretense of same would allow you to avoid frank lightshining on the inevitable corruption in International Governing Bodies.

Fifa should be MORE like IOC* and various UN groups, right?  
It aint about security, it aint about stadium width, cheaper to saw out concrete than build new stadiums.. but where the baksheesh gonna come from?
- Got a feeling they, Fifa, thought they might deal with Jack Warner more and Gulati less.

Hmm...
* Wonder what Mitt Romney might have to say on this?

Yeah once again I throw in my seemingly obtuse big picture connection. Except, once you think about it...

HatterDon

Quote from: pettyfog on September 16, 2010, 03:33:49 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on September 15, 2010, 02:10:33 PM

Uh.. Don, you are far from 'hopelessly naive'.. though pretense of same would allow you to avoid frank lightshining on the inevitable corruption in International Governing Bodies.

Fifa should be MORE like IOC* and various UN groups, right?  
It aint about security, it aint about stadium width, cheaper to saw out concrete than build new stadiums.. but where the baksheesh gonna come from?
- Got a feeling they, Fifa, thought they might deal with Jack Warner more and Gulati less.

Hmm...
* Wonder what Mitt Romney might have to say on this?

Yeah once again I throw in my seemingly obtuse big picture connection. Except, once you think about it...

You know, for years I thought that it was just me who didn't know what the hell you were talking about. Having said that, I think references like this are pretty much unclear to ... I don't know ... everybody.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

I've read it several times and it does seem he is talking about security, however, the statement taken by itself, very well could have been a wrapper to include a much bigger thought, which very well could have included things they would expect from other "less open" places, like payoffs etc.. No way to tell for sure.

Logicalman

Unfortunately, the recent news concerning 'Votes for Sale' from African nations might even shed more light on this - seemingly innocuous - story now, notwithstanding this was a sting operation not involving the US bid directly at all. What did seem to have a link though is the withdrawal by the US for the 2018 allowing it to be exclusively European, and Englands likewise withdrawal from the 2022 competition. Thus setting up another scratching of backs for each country.

The thot plickens......