https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Attention of Moderators - members replying to posts

Started by davew, January 10, 2019, 10:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replying to posts - Quote Options

Leave the system the way it is?
20 (48.8%)
Change the system so only the person you are replying to has their quote shown?
15 (36.6%)
Do not allow any requotes, let the poster just mention the name of the poster he is replying to?
4 (9.8%)
Provide a better suggestion to any of the above please (with notes)
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: January 17, 2019, 10:14:27 PM

davew

I  am sure I am not alone when I say I find it infuriating to read postings which include so many requotes from past postings, can this not be made simpler so that the person responding to a posting only quotes the other person's quote not the whole history going back to whenever. I know we can edit out other previous quotes but this is time consuming, there has to be a simple way to cut down all this repetitive stuff, gets very boring reading and re-reading it all!! Finally found out how to conduct a poll on here, could be a new toy!  :wine:
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

JoelH5

Not sure this would be possible. FOF runs on a pre-designed forum template. This won't be able to be recoded by anyone on here.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Nero

Quote from: davew on January 10, 2019, 10:11:25 PM
I  am sure I am not alone when I say I find it infuriating to read postings which include so many requotes from past postings, can this not be made simpler so that the person responding to a posting only quotes the other person's quote not the whole history going back to whenever. I know we can edit out other previous quotes but this is time consuming, there has to be a simple way to cut down all this repetitive stuff, gets very boring reading and re-reading it all!! Finally found out how to conduct a poll on here, could be a new toy!  :wine:
yes very annoying when you have half a page taken up with 2 people arguing between themselves

Mince n Tatties

Quite simple just put persons name before answering,and don't click on quotes..On the gossip pages its getting stupid,one has ten quotes to answer someone.

Mince n Tatties

Tell you what is stupid,the changing of words.
The other day I said Hilda went for a packet of g.n.er snaps it came up as Special One Snaps...lol
Whats offensive about that word?

MJG

Quote from: JoelH5 on January 10, 2019, 10:21:45 PM
Not sure this would be possible. FOF runs on a pre-designed forum template. This won't be able to be recoded by anyone on here.
As you say will depend on settings.
I'd add that if you dont look at the forum for a while and you find opne of these 'quoted' threads at least it allows you to follow the conversation, if you just follow the last comment then if there are other conversations within the subject forum it will be very hard to trace the whole conversation.

It can be a pain I agree, especally on a phone, but I think it works ok and I think people do actually cut most of it out at a point where even the writers think its filled up too much space. Self moderation works in this case I think.
Just the views of a long term fan

sunburywhite

Quote from: Nero on January 10, 2019, 11:39:54 PM
yes very annoying when you have half a page taken up with 2 people arguing between themselves

I find it annoying too
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

snarks

I have seen other forums the limit the number of quotes to the last 3, that works well and I've seen it on similar layouts to this one.

MJG

Quote from: sunburywhite on January 11, 2019, 08:16:46 AM

I find it annoying too
I dont have an issue with it really.

toshes mate

The system is versatile enough to allow any method of selection from quotes although it takes a bit of practice to ensure you don't mess up by removing/damaging only one of the pair of bracketed formatting rules that enable the display of all entries.  Of all the methods of showing threads I have seen the one used by FOF seems the most friendly and easiest on the eye.  I certainly believe different threads on the same OP could be displayed differently but I don't think it would be any easier on the eye or to follow once you go beyond a couple of pages.

Nero

Quote from: MJG on January 11, 2019, 08:59:58 AM
Quote from: sunburywhite on January 11, 2019, 08:16:46 AM

I find it annoying too

I do when it gets to about haf a page, a couple of replies are fine, but when there is a couple of long replies or many quotes it just a waste of space

WhiteJC

Quote from: snarks on January 11, 2019, 08:51:23 AM
I have seen other forums the limit the number of quotes to the last 3, that works well and I've seen it on similar layouts to this one.

if you give me a link to these sites I'll have a look at what can be done

rgds
John(WhiteJC)

WhiteJC

Quote from: Nero on January 11, 2019, 10:32:21 AM

I find it annoying too

I do when it gets to about haf a page, a couple of replies are fine, but when there is a couple of long replies or many quotes it just a waste of space

I think I've turned off show quotes?

is this better?

MJG

I find it annoying too

I undertsand wghere your coming from but i do feel it would lose the thred of the conversation.

MJG

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 11, 2019, 10:55:30 AM

is this better?
I dont think so as you then have to scroll down to find who actually said something

Milo

I find it annoying too

Only issue is when people adjust to new system, they may think for instance Nero said all the things in above message.

Southcoastffc

To be fair, it really doesn't happen that often. The last week or so has seen an unusual number of 'quote, quote, quote, quote' posts.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

JoelH5

Yeah I'd change it back. It looks like people have said things they haven't
I was there, standing in the Putney end

MJG

Quote from: JoelH5 on January 11, 2019, 12:26:49 PM
Yeah I'd change it back. It looks like people have said things they haven't
Will of the people and all that

Southcoastffc

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 11, 2019, 10:55:30 AM

is this better?
No.  The people's vote is:

Leave the system the way it is? 18 (60%)
Change the system so only the person you are replying to has their quote shown? 9 (30%)
Do not allow any requotes, let the poster just mention the name of the poster he is replying to? 2 (6.7%)
Provide a better suggestion to any of the above please (with notes) 1 (3.3%)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.