more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (11/01/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 11, 2019, 08:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Southampton should go all out for Victor Moses

According to Love Sport Radio, Fulham are targeting a deal for Chelsea outcast Victor Moses, but Southampton would be mad not to join the race for the 28-year-old's signature.

What's the word?

The Cottagers are apparently hoping to sign Moses, Gary Cahill and Danny Drinkwater from the Blues as Claudio Ranieri seeks to give his relegation-threatened side a boost.

Moses certainly needs to depart Stamford Bridge as soon as possible. Despite having been a key part of Antonio Conte's title-winning side, the 28-year-old has found no place in Maurizio Sarri's plans.

The out-of-favour winger has barely featured for the west London club this season and must now seek pastures new. However, before Fulham can bring the 37-cap Nigeria international to Craven Cottage, Southampton ought to enter the race for his signature.

Winning the race to Moses

The Saints are in dire need of an injection of pace, flair and creativity on the flanks, which Moses' arrival would provide.

With summer signing Mohamed Elyounoussi struggling to shine at St Mary's Stadium, Ralph Hasenhuttl is lacking quality depth in the wide areas.

What's more, Moses ought to be an affordable target for the Saints to pursue. The Evening Standard have reported that the forward has a £12 million price tag, which should not be beyond the means of the south coast club.

It looks as though Southampton will have to beat off plenty of their Premier League rivals in order to win the race to Moses, but if they commit themselves to clinching this deal during this January transfer window then the Nigerian could reward them handsomely on the pitch in the second half of the campaign.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/southampton/southampton-should-go-all-out-for-victor-moses

WhiteJC

West Ham should hijack Fulham's plot to sign Danny Drinkwater

According to Love Sport Radio, Fulham are seeking to bring out-of-favour Chelsea trio, Gary Cahill, Victor Moses and Danny Drinkwater to Craven Cottage in this January transfer window.

What's the word?

Claudio Ranieri is apparently hoping to boost his struggling Fulham side with the acquisition of three outcast Chelsea stars. Between them, Cahill, Moses and Drinkwater have mustered just three Premier League appearances for Maurizio Sarri's side this season.

Midfielder Drinkwater, who the Blues splashed out £35 million to sign from Leicester City in 2017, hasn't featured in the league at all.

The former Foxes man must escape Stamford Bridge as soon as possible to get his career back on track. However, before the 28-year-old can seal a switch to Craven Cottage, West Ham ought to hijack the Cottagers' move to acquire his services.

A point to prove

Injuries to summer signings Jack Wilshere and Carlos Sanchez have left the Hammers light on numbers in midfield. Manuel Pellegrini would therefore be wise to bring in reinforcements in this January transfer window.

Not only would Drinkwater add depth to the Irons' squad, but the 3-cap England international would bring quality to the London Stadium as well.

Whilst things haven't worked out for him at all at Stamford Bridge, Drinkwater was an impressive and central figure in Leicester's shock Premier League title triumph in 2016. He showed in that campaign that he is a fine Premier League player, and now he must remind the world of his quality.

West Ham should fight for the right to give Drinkwater that platform to prove his point on.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/west-ham/west-ham-should-hijack-fulhams-plot-to-sign-danny-drinkwater

WhiteJC

Inside Turf Moor

Joseph Redmond from the Turf Cast podcast gives us the lowdown on Burnley ahead of Saturday's match in Lancashire.

After such a fantastic season last year, are you surprised with how this one's panned out so far?

A little surprised, yes. Nobody expected us to emulate our achievements of last season but I definitely think we should be a little more comfortable than we have been, although thankfully things have picked up in recent weeks.

What do you put it down to?

I think there's a few factors. Firstly, we didn't really add too much quality in the transfer window. While teams around us and promoted teams strengthened, our main two outfield signings in Ben Gibson and Matej Vydra have just warmed the bench all season. Secondly, our squad just wasn't deep enough to be playing Thursday and Sunday while travelling across Europe, meaning we were incredibly poor at the start of the season, as you saw at Craven Cottage (we were a shambles at the back). And although you can't be blaming fatigue from European games we played in July/August when it comes to the middle of November, the start definitely affected our confidence and the players struggled to get out of that mindset. Thirdly, I know it's a bit of a cliché but we have struggled with injuries, I personally think the loss of Nick Pope, who dislocated his shoulder in our first competitive game of the season, has been massive. He was a huge part of why our defensive record was so good last season, mainly thanks to his quality at collecting crosses and taking the pressure off his defence.

Burnley have won their last three in all competitions – do you feel the tide is changing for you?

Definitely. When I walked off the Turf on Boxing Day after the 5-1 defeat against Everton there was so much negativity around the place, the players looked lost, and as silly as it sounds we looked down already. But since then we put in a brilliant performance against West Ham, ground out the result away at Huddersfield, and got a somewhat fortunate win against Barnsley in the cup. But we're defending well again, defending resolutely like we were last season, and it feels as though we're finally getting back into last season's stride.

Who have been Burnley's standout performers?

If I'm being brutally honest there haven't been too many over the course of the season. Being pressed I'd have to go with Ashley Barnes, he's our leading Premier League scorer this season and he's the type of player that defenders hate to play against. He'll throw himself about and will get stuck in, and likes to pop up with an important goal too! In the last few weeks though we've seen the emergence of Dwight McNeil, a Burnley youth product who's come through the ranks and put in some really good performances, winning man of the match on two occasions.

How can we expect Burnley to set up on Saturday?

Sean Dyche has been a little experimental this season with his formations and even played three at the back a couple of times, but I suspect he'll go back to what's been working recently, and last season, with a good old fashioned 4-4-2.

Which Fulham players do you think could cause you some issues?

The main one has got to be Mitrović with eight goals so far this season in the Premier League, and two of those coming against us earlier in the year. I think the problem for us is that one of his main strengths is in the air and that seems to be where our defence has struggled this season despite doing so well in that area last term. Then there's Schürrle who was a great coup for you guys in the summer and has the quality to unlock defences, and Ryan Sessegnon who can cause all sorts of problems with his quality out wide.

Turf Moor has been a pretty fruitless ground for Fulham over the years – why do you think it's such a tough place for teams to visit?

I think it's the type of stadium where the fans have a massive part to play. The ground is incredibly tight, meaning the fans are really close to the pitch, so when we're in a passionate mood the atmosphere can be incredibly intimidating. Unfortunately the atmosphere hasn't been great so far this season, and there have been some quiet days at the Turf, even prompting some fan groups to meet up with the club in an attempt to improve it. However, against West Ham the atmosphere was back to what it should be so hopefully we can do that again this weekend.

Can you recommend somewhere for away fans to get a pre-match pint?

It definitely has the be the Cricket Club, it tends to be the place where away fans always congregate, mainly because it's one of the only places that welcomes them, which is surprising considering home and away fans do mingle well in there. The beauty of it for you guys is it's right next to the away section of the ground too, meaning you can get there nice and early and not have to worry about rushing to the ground.

How do you see Saturday going?

Hopefully it's a tight game as that's when we are at our strongest. If it turns into a high scoring game like earlier in the season I think it plays into your hands a little as you have players who can get on the ball and create some quality, with our main two creative players in Steven Defour and Robbie Brady struggling with injuries all season.

What score prediction are you going for?

I've got to back Burnley, although you wouldn't have heard me saying that after the Everton game. I just think this one has come at the right time for us after finally hitting some form for the first time this season and starting to play like we did last term when we were incredibly difficult to create chances against, which made us hard to beat. West Ham didn't have a sniff against us and I'm hoping we can repeat that performance again this weekend. I'm going for 2-0 to the Clarets.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/10/inside-turf-moor

WhiteJC

Ross McCormack opens up on Fulham regrets after being shipped out on loan again

The 32-year-old has joined Scottish side Motherwell on loan

Ross McCormack believes he could have finished his career at Fulham and that leaving the club in the summer of 2016 for Aston Villa was the wrong thing to do.

The 32-year-old, who has recently joined Motherwell, left Craven Cottage for Villa Park in a £12million move but struggled during his time at the club and ending up joining Nottingham Forest, Melbourne City and Central Coast Mariners on loan deals.

Having signed from Leeds United in 2014, McCormack went on to captain the Cottagers and scored 42 goals during his time there but moved on when Steve Bruce and Villa came calling.

Fulham went on to finish in the Championship play-off places that year while Villa finished 13th before Slavisa Jokanovic's side beat Bruce's in the play-off final the following season.

The move to Villa never quite worked out for McCormack and his relationship with Bruce became strained, but speaking after his latest loan move the striker openly admits that leaving west London was the wrong thing to do and that he was 'over-eager' to join the Villa Park outfit.

Speaking to the Daily Record, McCormack said: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I was maybe too quick to leave Fulham. I'm not just saying that because they are in the Premier League now and I might have been there and I was club captain.

"It was maybe just a year too soon. I could probably have finished my career there. There were a lots of good people at the club, good friends.

"As a family, we were settled in London. The kids loved their schools. I was probably a bit too eager to move. In the last couple of years at Fulham, we were flirting with relegation.

"Aston Villa were signing this player and that player, and I was thinking this is my chance to get to the Premier League. I was a little bit over-eager to join them."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/ross-mccormack-opens-up-fulham-15657081

WhiteJC

Report: Former Fulham forward Chris David wants to join Bolton Wanderers

Chris David scored one Premier League goal for Fulham and could return to England with Championship strugglers Bolton Wanderers.

It has been a horrible couple of weeks for Bolton Wanderers fans, so a new signing would at least give the supporters something to look forward to.

According to Bolton News, the Trotters are in a dire financial situation and are being prevented from registering new players this month thanks to a transfer embargo.

But this has not stopped them from offering a trial to the former Fulham forward Chris David.

A 25-year-old Dutchman who most recently represented FC Twente in his homeland, David is a free agent and wants to kick-start his career with a return to England.

The forward has accepted the offer of a trial in Lancashire and even scored for Bolton's U23s in their 3-2 win against Nottingham Forest on Monday night.

The Amsterdam-born attacker was at Fulham from 2013 and 2015 after moving to Craven Cottage from Ajax but failed to live up to lofty expectations due to a series of injuries.

David did score a stunning goal on his Premier League debut at the end of the 2013/14 season, however, curling a shot into the top corner against Crystal Palace.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/10/do-report-former-fulham-forward-chris-david-wants-to-join-bolton/

WhiteJC

Fulham said to be showing interest in Chile international, club could be open to sale

Takvim claim Fulham are showing an interest in Fenerbahce defender Mauricio Isla as they look to strengthen their squad in January to boost their survival chances.

According to Takvim, Isla could be allowed to leave because Fenerbahce manager Ersun Yanal is set to use Nabil Dirar as his first choice right back for the second half of the season.

It's claimed the Istanbul club are open to selling Isla if any suitable offers are made and the Chile international may also be tempted to play in the Premier League.

Fulham have also been linked with a move for Besiktas central defender Domagoj Vida as the English club look  to bolster their defence in this transfer window.

The London club have conceded more goals than any other team in the Premier League this season and subsequently they want to address this.

Isla is 30 years of age and has made 13 appearances for Fenerbahce this season in the Turkish Super Lig. He's under contract with the club until the end of next season.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-showing-interest-chile-international-club-open-sell/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham hit a snag in pursuit of Chelsea's Gary Cahill

Fulham were reportedly on the verge of signing Gary Cahill from Premier League and West London neighbours Chelsea.

Gary Cahill could be exactly the man Fulham need.

Claudio Ranieri's side have the worst defensive record in the top flight and are crying out for a player with the experience and leadership skills to shore up their back-line and lead them away from the Premier League relegation zone.

And 33-year-old Cahill, who has won almost everything on offer during a trophy-laden spell at West London neighbours Chelsea, certainly fits the bill.

Love Sport Radio reported on Wednesday that Fulham are on the verge of signing the England international in what could be a season-saving deal. But, just 24 hours later, The Sun (10 January, page 51) reports that the move faces one substantial hurdle.

It is understood that Cahill's £150,000 a week wages could put off potential suitors. Fulham are understood to want the former Aston Villa and Bolton defender on loan but it is unlikely that they would be willing to cover his full pay packet.

As a result, The Sun adds that Cahill wants Chelsea to foot some of the bill as he aims to escape his Stamford Bridge purgatory.

The centre-back has played just 21 minutes of Premier League football since Maurizio Sarri took over from Antonio Conte in the summer.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/10/do-report-fulham-hit-a-snag-in-pursuit-of-chelseas-gary-cahill/

WhiteJC

Cagliari Make Move For Fulham Target Marko Pjaca

Cagliari have enquired about the possibility of signing Serie A winger Marko Pjaca, who has also been linked with a move to Fulham.

Pjaca joined Fiorentina on loan from Juventus last summer but his spell could be brought to an end this month.

The winger has racked up just eight appearances for La Viola this season and is keen to play more regular football in the latter half of the season, even though he is not pushing to leave Fiorentina.

Fulham are reportedly ready to sign him on a permanent deal from Juventus this month and Parma are considering signing him on a loan move in the winter window.

The winger has racked up just eight appearances for La Viola this season and is keen to play more regular football in the latter half of the season, even though he is not pushing to leave Fiorentina.

Fulham are reportedly ready to sign him on a permanent deal from Juventus this month and Parma are considering signing him on a loan move in the winter window.

But for the moment the Croatian is keen to continue to Fiorentina despite the speculation over his future.

A decision is expected to be taken after 20th January when the Italian clubs return from their winter break.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2019/01/10/cagliari-make-move-for-fulham-target-marko-pjaca/405181/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham turn down £50m bid for Aleksandar Mitrovic

Aleksandar Mitrovic is Fulham's best hope of avoiding relegation from the Premier League so they cannot afford to let him go to China.

The Chinese Super League have their eyes firmly focused on the Premier League this month.

According to The Sun, Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Mousa Dembele is on his way to Beijing Gouan, where he is expected to be joined by Brentford ace Nico Yennaris.

It is also understood that West Ham United have received an offer of £35 million for star man Marko Arnautovic, with the Austrian offered a contract in excess of £200,000 a week.

Now, Fulham are facing a problem too. The Sun have reported that The Cottagers have received a staggering £50 million bid from Guangzhou Evergrande for top scorer and talisman Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Understandably, Fulham have rejected the offer and are determined to keep the prolific Serbian at Craven Cottage as they aim to avoid an immediate return to the Championship. Worryingly, however, Mitrovic is allegedly tempted by the huge money on offer in the Far East.

The former Newcastle United forward has scored eight goals in 21 Premier League games since joining Fulham on a permanent basis in the summer for a reported £22 million, according to the BBC.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/10/do-report-fulham-turn-down-50m-bid-for-aleksandar-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

Ranieri confirms Fosu-Mensah is set to return to United

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri has confirmed that Timothy Fosu-Mensah is set to return to Manchester United.

The right-back has struggled to hold down a first-team place since arriving in west London from United on a season-long loan during the summer.

That loan deal is now set to be terminated, paving the way for him to move elsewhere.

Speaking at a press conference on Thursday afternoon, Ranieri said he felt a return to Old Trafford for Fosu-Mensah would be best for all parties.

"Timothy coming back (to United) I think is much better for him to find a solution," the Italian explained.

Ranieri refused to comment on possible incomings and dismissed as "rumours" reports that Whites midfielder Stefan Johansen is wanted by Italian giants AC Milan.

Pressed on whether he believed Johansen would still be at Craven Cottage after this month's transfer window, Ranieri said: "If he stays then I am happy."

http://londonfootballnews.co.uk/fulham/confirmed-man-utd-youngster-to-return-from-loan-spell/

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri says Fulham must make signings this month to ensure Premier League survival

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri says the club must sign players this month if they are to avoid relegation this season.

Fulham are four points adrift of safety in the Premier League and possess the worst goal difference in the division after winning just three of their opening 21 games.

The Cottagers are yet to make a signing this month but Ranieri admits the club desperately need reinforcements in their battle against the drop.

When asked if Fulham could avoid relegation without new arrivals, Ranieri replied: "No. I think we have to bring somebody in to survive.

"I think it will be a very good boost for all my players."

Fulham are interested in signing Roma striker Gregoire Defrel, according to Sky in Italy, while Bournemouth striker Lys Mousset has also been linked with a move to Craven Cottage.

Ranieri has refused to discuss individual players but insists Fulham are working on a number of potential signings.

"We are looking in every direction, we will see what happens," he said. "The transfer market is open. We are ready to take something that can help Fulham.

"But I won't speak about names, I'm sorry."

Fulham suffered a shock defeat to Oldham in the third round of the FA Cup on Sunday, as Ranieri opted to play a largely second-string side against the League Two club.

The Italian admits he is upset to be out of the competition but insists the priority this season is the Premier League and Saturday's trip to relegation rivals Burnley.

"I have a lot of respect for the FA Cup. I lost the final a long time ago against Arsenal," said Ranieri, who reached the final with Chelsea in 2002.

"I want one day to return to Wembley, because when I made the final it was in Cardiff. I have a lot of respect for the FA Cup, but in this moment the Premier League is the more important thing.

"For this match, I gave the opportunity to players who are not used to playing every week. They missed a chance, I am very sad. But now we start again."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11603562/claudio-ranieri-says-fulham-must-make-signings-this-month-to-ensure-premier-league-survival

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri transcript: Every word on Burnley, Gary Cahill and players not taking their chance

Read everything the Fulham boss has to say ahead of the Burnley trip on Saturday

Latest on Alfie Mawson?

Mawson is being assessed - there's no prognosis yet

Looking to bring in defensive reinforcements?

We are looking in every direction and we will see what happens.

The transfer market is open and we are ready to take some thing that can help Fulham.

Interested in Fuchs?

No, no, no. I don't speak about names I am sorry.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah to return?

It's much better for him to find a solution because here it is a bit closed.

Stefan Johansen's future?

There are only rumours. If he stays I am happy, he's a good player and I can help.

Up front an area you're looking at?

Every thing I discuss with my club, I'm sorry.

Burnley sort of games you need to target?

Of course, it's another crucial game. I say every time I'm here every game is crucial but Burnley is more crucial. We know there will be a great battle there and I hope we can survive.

They are a physical side - training change?

I am not worried about any matches but I respect all my opponents. We must be ready for the style of the match.

How close are you to cracking it here?

I am always optimistic but I don't know when the corner arrives, I hope soon. I am happy but when the opponent scores four goals and then I am so so.

We have to improve every time and we train well but the answer is on the pitch.

Is Cahill the kind of player you're looking for?

I need somebody who can help us. I repeat, we have a very good team but without experience and then we need someone who has experience, leader, good character, that's his personality, and then we can improve our team.

Desperately need to get players in or can you survive without them?

I think we are open minded, I speak every day with Tony [Khan] and then we are so close and working and hope at the end we achieve what we are thinking.

Is the quality there to survive or do you have to get players?

No we have to bring someone in to survive, I think it would be a good boost for all my players.

Effects the FA Cup defeat has had on the team?

We know the FA Cup, I have a lot of respect, I lost the final a long time ago against Arsenal. I want one day to return to Wembley because when I made the final it was in Cardiff.

I have a lot of respect for the FA Cup but in this moment the Premier League is most important. For this reason I gave the opportunity to the players who aren't playing every week to show. They missed a chance, I am very sad, but now we start with the way we finish.

Harder to stay positive after that defeat?

No, I am positive because I am a mirror, what I am inside you see in my face, I am positive because I believe in this team and club.

Games like this you have to get something

Burnely think if we kill Fulham then they stay there and we go up, I think it's crucial.

Look at the table?

Believe me, I never look at the table.

Is Mitrovic the guy to be leader in attack?

He missed a penalty but it's not important, Mitrovic is our goal scorer but I want to give him a lot of crosses because we have few chances, we must create more chances for him.

Players at weekend didn't show passion or desire

The players who always play in the Premier League show desire and strength, everything, what they show me every day in training, I didn't understand why in training they show the best but on the pitch no.

I used to think how you train you play, for the first time in my life, training didn't go to how they play.

You need competitive training?

We do every situation during training and I am happy how they train, how they improve, but the answer is on the pitch. We can train well but the other teams do too and every time the answer is on the pitch.

Any injury news?

No, no injury news.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/claudio-ranieri-transcript-every-word-15658974

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer news: Claudio Ranieri wants 'experienced leader' as club targets Chelsea's Gary Cahill

Fulham are interested in bringing Chelsea defender Gary Cahill to Craven Cottage to bolster their defence

Claudio Ranieri has admitted Fulham must sign an experienced "leader" in order to avoid Premier League relegation.

Fulham have won just three matches in their 21 outings on their top-flight return this term, with Ranieri replacing Slavisa Jokanovic at Craven Cottage in November.

Chelsea's former England defender Gary Cahill has been linked with a loan move to Fulham, and Ranieri has conceded the Cottagers need to strengthen this month.

"I think we have to sign somebody to survive," said Ranieri. "I think also it would be a very good boost for all my players.

"I think we are open-minded, I speak every day with (vice chairman) Tony (Khan), and then we are so close and we are working, and I hope at the end we achieve what we are thinking.

"We have a very good team, but without experience.

"And then we need somebody who has experience, a leader, with good character, that's his personality, then we can improve our team.

"I need somebody who can help us; I need somebody."

Ranieri has remained tight-lipped about Fulham targets, but the west London club need defensive reinforcements, especially with Alfie Mawson facing a spell on the sidelines.

The former Swansea defender is nursing a knee injury, with no timescale on his possible return yet confirmed.

Ranieri did, however, confirm Fulham are intent on recruiting this month, despite spending more than £100m on new signings in the summer.

Stefan Johansen has been linked with a move away this month, but Ranieri insisted he would be happy to keep the Norway midfielder.

"If he stays I'm happy, he's a good player and I can help," said Ranieri, of Johansen.

"We are looking in every direction, and we'll see what happens.

"The market is open and we are ready to take someone who can help Fulham."

Fulham face a pivotal relegation battle at Burnley on Saturday, with Ranieri insisting he still believes in his players despite last weekend's shock FA Cup loss to Sky Bet League Two club Oldham.

Fulham bowed out of the FA Cup's third round following a limp 2-1 home defeat, but Ranieri is confident the squad have reset their focus this week.

"I'm positive because I believe in this team and this club," said Ranieri. "But also Burnley think, 'if we kill Fulham we go up'.

"And for this reason, I think it's a very, very crucial match. Believe me, at the moment I never look at the table. Because I know where we are, staying under water and I want to go up!"

PA

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/fulham-transfer-news-gary-cahill-premier-league-target-claudio-ranieri-defender-leader-latest-done-a8721271.html

WhiteJC

Team against Burnley 12/01
over on the forum we've been discussing who we'd have in the team to play Burnley at the weekend...

whitejc

yet another must win game and after the FA Cup game I'd stick to more or less the same team who played against Arsenal, we were much better than the result suggested, swapping AK47 for Schurrle.
I'm assuming that we either won't have made any signings or they'll arrive too late for this game.

Betts, KMac, Cisse, Sari, StefJo, Ayite, Schurrle

come on over to the forum and join in the discussion
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=69341.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=577

WhiteJC

'I think we have to sign somebody to survive': Claudio Ranieri seeking experienced leader to save Fulham from relegation

Claudio Ranieri has admitted Fulham must sign an experienced 'leader'
    Fulham have won just three matches in their 21 outings on their top-flight return
    The club sit 19th in the Premier League table, four points adrift of safety
    Former England defender Gary Cahill has been linked with a loan move

Claudio Ranieri has admitted Fulham must sign an experienced 'leader' in order to avoid Premier League relegation.

Fulham have won just three matches in their 21 outings on their top-flight return this term, with Ranieri replacing Slavisa Jokanovic at Craven Cottage in November.

Chelsea's former England defender Gary Cahill has been linked with a loan move to Fulham, and Ranieri has conceded the Cottagers need to strengthen this month.

Claudio Ranieri has admitted Fulham must sign an experienced 'leader' to avoid relegation

'I think we have to sign somebody to survive,' said Ranieri. 'I think also it would be a very good boost for all my players.

'I think we are open-minded, I speak every day with (vice chairman) Tony (Khan), and then we are so close and we are working, and I hope at the end we achieve what we are thinking.

'We have a very good team, but without experience. And then we need somebody who has experience, a leader, with good character, that's his personality, then we can improve our team. I need somebody who can help us; I need somebody.'

Ranieri has remained tight-lipped about Fulham targets, but the west London club need defensive reinforcements, especially with Alfie Mawson facing a spell on the sidelines.

Fulham sit 19th after winning just three matches in their 21 outings on their top-flight return

The former Swansea defender is nursing a knee injury, with no timescale on his possible return yet confirmed.

Ranieri did, however, confirm Fulham are intent on recruiting this month, despite spending more than £100million on new signings in the summer.

Stefan Johansen has been linked with a move away this month, but Ranieri insisted he would be happy to keep the Norway midfielder.

'If he stays I'm happy, he's a good player and I can help,' said Ranieri, of Johansen. 'We are looking in every direction, and we'll see what happens. The market is open and we are ready to take someone who can help Fulham.'

Chelsea's former England defender Gary Cahill has been linked with a loan move

Fulham face a pivotal relegation battle at Burnley on Saturday, with Ranieri insisting he still believes in his players despite last weekend's shock FA Cup loss to Sky Bet League Two club Oldham.

Fulham bowed out of the FA Cup's third round following a limp 2-1 home defeat, but Ranieri is confident the squad have reset their focus this week.

'I'm positive because I believe in this team and this club,' said Ranieri. 'But also Burnley think, 'if we kill Fulham we go up. And for this reason, I think it's a very, very crucial match.

'Believe me, at the moment I never look at the table because I know where we are, staying under water and I want to go up!'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6577903/Claudio-Ranieri-seeking-experienced-leader-save-Fulham-relegation.html

WhiteJC

All the Burnley team news ahead of Fulham clash

SEAN Dyche is hopeful that full backs Matt Lowton and Phil Bardsley will be fit for the visit of Fulham on Saturday.

The pair missed the FA Cup win over Barnsley last weekend meaning centre half James Tarkowski filled in on the right.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson has a slight thigh problem and will be assessed while Aaron Lennon remains a longer term absentee and Robbie Brady misses out through suspension.

Dyche said: "Bardo and Lowts, there's a strong chance at least one will be right. Johann we'll have to wait and see, he's got a niggly thigh."

Tom Heaton is expected to start in goal for the Clarets despite Nick Pope returning from his shoulder injury in the win over Barnsley.

Burnley have three England international goalkeepers vying for the number one jersey with Joe Hart also on the books.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/burnley_fc/news/17349397.all-the-burnley-team-news-ahead-of-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham interested in signing Fenerbahce ace Mauricio Isla

Mauricio Isla was relegated from the Premier League with Queens Park Rangers in 2015 - is this a bad omen for Claudio Ranieri's Fulham?

Fulham are in the market for a new right-back this month with Timothy Fosu-Mensah set to return to Manchester United just halfway through a disappointing loan spell at Craven Cottage.

The Sun (23 December, page 63) reports that Chelsea outcast Victor Moses is on name on Claudio Ranieri's hit-list, though a deal is in doubt due to his £130,000-a-week wages.

According to Takvim, however, Fulham have identified a cheap alternative – the experienced Chile international Mauricio Isla.

The 30-year-old is currently plying his trade for Fenerbahce, the Turkish Super Lig giants who have endured a dismal season and are currently situated just one place off the bottom of the table.

And Takvim believe that Fener could be willing to sell if Fulham make a good offer for Isla, with the former Monaco ace Nabil Dirar already plying his trade at Istanbul and lined-up to potentially replace the South American in the starting XI.

Interestingly, the former Marseille and Juventus full-back did spend time in England during the 2014/15 season, playing for Fulham's London rivals QPR.

Isla suffered relegation at the end of his spell at Loftus Road, however, and Fulham will be hoping this is not a bad omen.

The versatile right-sider has earning 102 caps for Chile, winning the Copa America in 2015 and 2016.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/10/do-report-fulham-interested-in-signing-former-qpr-ace-mauricio-i/

WhiteJC

Revealed: 83% of Leeds fans want Timothy Fosu-Mensah loan

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri has revealed that Timothy Fosu-Mensah is free to return to Manchester United during the January transfer window.

Fosu-Mensah joined Fulham on loan from United during the summer, but has struggled to establish himself with the Cottagers.

The 21-year-old is unlikely to be in the plans of United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the second half of the season, which makes another loan very possible.

And with that in mind, we recently asked the Leeds United fans whether they would be interested in loaning the three-time Netherlands international for the rest of the season.

As it turned out, 83% of the Leeds supporters polled said that they did want their club to move for the United defender in the January window.

Fosu-Mensah has actually played 21 times for United's first team, whilst he made 21 Premier League appearances during a loan spell at Crystal Palace last season.

https://www.footballfancast.com/championship/leeds/revealed-83-of-leeds-fans-want-timothy-fosu-mensah-loan

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v The Greatest Dancer captain Oti Mabuse

Sunday sees the first big test for Manchester United interim manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer when his in-form team take on Tottenham.

So far, Solskjaer has won all five of his games in charge in the Premier League and FA Cup - but how will he fare at Wembley?

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson says: "Spurs have beaten United at home in each of the past three seasons, with most of their current team involved in those games.

"It just feels like Tottenham know they can turn United over. They beat them at Old Trafford in August, so I am backing them to do a rare double - for the first time since 1989-90."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 top-flight matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This week he is up against Strictly dancer Oti Mabuse, who is a dance captain on new BBC One show The Greatest Dancer.

Oti will make her predictions on Friday.

LAWRO'S PREDICTIONS
Burnley v Fulham

I have thought for a while that Burnley have clicked again and, including their FA Cup win over Barnsley, they now have three victories on the spin.

Clarets boss Sean Dyche would probably disagree but I can't help thinking their Europa League campaign played its part in their poor start to the season.

Burnley just seem to have got their hunger and desire back, as well as their form - and I just cannot see Fulham getting anything here.

The Cottagers' home defeat by League Two side Oldham was one of the biggest upsets on third-round weekend.

Away from home, they have got the worst record in the top flight with just two points from 11 games, and I don't see them adding to that tally at Turf Moor.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46823759

WhiteJC

Cahill, Drinkwater And Moses Would All Be Well Advised To Make The Short Trip To The Cottage

If the latest reports are true, that Gary Cahill, Danny Drinkwater and Victor Moses were given the grand tour of Motspur Park, they should take a leap of faith and commit their futures to our great club.

Not only would they be virtually certain of first-team appearances regularly, but they could also quickly become heroes at Fulham, not least should they help us avoid relegation this season.

The Khan's should do everything possible to convince this trio to bring their much-needed skills and experience to stabilise the team.

Forgetting the so-called 'top internationals' coming over here, we must look at seasoned professionals that are and have been playing Premier League football. We must not make the same mistake again, as time is not on our side.

We welcome you to join our fantastic club. You will enjoy playing for Fulham FC and become part of the 'black and white family'.

COYW's

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/cahill-drinkwater-and-moses-would-all-be-well-advised-to-make-the-short-trip-to-the-cottage/