watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Mulling things over.

Started by bog, January 14, 2019, 02:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

What is eating away at me that after seeing the best football for about 18 years the manager of that football has been sacked. It looks as though he had little if any say in the spending of £100m so had to go with what was provided. So when things sag he gets the sack and the one who spent the money is till cocooned in his ivory tower. The one given the money knows little to nothing on the nuts and bolts of the game and now we are floundering. To get players to come to us whilst we basked in the glory of the play off final may have been a lot easier than now. I am not happy.   

Another experienced defender doing nowt now....Phil Jagielka.

092.gif

Bassey the warrior

Shocking if true. I was desperate for us to do well under Slav this year.

However, what's done is done. We can only hope they learn from this and that we get a chance to fix it in the summer by somehow staying up.

Kent Cassandra

I'm with you Mike, My natural optimism is getting worn down as we seem to be making the same mistakes over and over again.

At my age you can't guarantee that you won't be doing as TK suggested and going to hell where there will only be Chelsea and no Fulham.

Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

john dempsey

after the play off final jokas stock was high and he could of walked if he was unhappy with transfer policy
but he stayed which suggests he was ok with transfers, the last 2 seasons we have been very poor up until January
and it was only an amazing 23 game run that saved joka .

alfie

Quote from: john dempsey on January 14, 2019, 03:20:58 PM
after the play off final jokas stock was high and he could of walked if he was unhappy with transfer policy
but he stayed which suggests he was ok with transfers, the last 2 seasons we have been very poor up until January
That's something I said a while ago, also when the season started he was the one that dropped Betts, KMac, Johansen, and continued to play the new recruits when we were shipping a shed load of goals.
Along with everyone else I agree he done a magnificent job to go 23 games undefeated and gain the promotion, I just believe it was to difficult for him to change his tactics.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

john dempsey

that is the only reason I am upset about this season is the fact
that the core of the promotion side were deemed not good enough
before a ball was kicked and it cannot be good for morale inside the club.

ffcne

Quote from: john dempsey on January 14, 2019, 03:32:59 PM
that is the only reason I am upset about this season is the fact
that the core of the promotion side were deemed not good enough
before a ball was kicked and it cannot be good for morale inside the club.

Yes and replaced by players no better and cost us a shed load of money
and probably earning  a lot more money.
What were Seri and Anguissa 30 million each !!!

bog

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on January 14, 2019, 02:48:09 PM
I'm with you Mike, My natural optimism is getting worn down as we seem to be making the same mistakes over and over again.

At my age you can't guarantee that you won't be doing as TK suggested and going to hell where there will only be Chelsea and no Fulham.

Hope all is well Terry. A nightmare scenario indeed. That phenomenal feeling on May 26th and now this.

092.gif       

Bassey the warrior

I'm going against the grain to see that our midfield weren't good enough if we were going to play the same expansive game as before. McDonald is too slow for this league and Johamsen's form was patchy last season. Seri was an upgrade and at least statistically so was Anguissa.

In retrospect Anguissa has been a terrible error so far but you can see why they went for him.

However what isn't really excusable is the half-assed attempt to fix our defence. Everyone knew it was our greatest weakness last season and that having high possession was one way to help us defend.

We should've done much more to strengthen defence, especially in the full back positions. Can't help but feel that Fosu Mensah, Chambers and Bryan were panic signings. Even if Chambers has done well in midfield.

toshes mate

For me the problem with recruitment was it was ill thought through.  We had needs, publicly recognised needs, one keeper, two full backs, two central defenders, two midifielders to replace those considered inferior within the promotion squad or cover if they were considered to be okay, a right winger and two strikers (incl Mitro).  Ten PL quality players required, either purchased or loaned, and yet we blew the majority of our budget on two midfielders who were too expensive and nowhere near best picks for what was needed.  And then we wonder why Mitro cost us so much by the time he was signed.     

Statto

We were already in good form going into both January 2017 and January 2018. Both seasons he turned it around late November. So what did we do this year? Sack him on 14 November. You couldn't make it up.

As to him being "ok with transfers", not sure what that proves. Just because he'd accepted that Tony Khan was in charge of transfers, doesn't mean he deserved poor players.

When I go into a restaurant I accept that I have to let a chef do the cooking rather than going out the back and doing it myself. Does that mean I can't complain if the soup is cold?

filham

I really can't believe we spent £100 million without Jokanovic approving the new signings, that would have been suicidal for Tony Khan and his dad , who must have good sense, would never have allowed it. The new players were too expensive and not good enough and Jocanovic has to take his share of the responsibility.

We now need to buy a leader with premiership experience at centre back as soon as ever possible and make sure he is the man that Ranieri wants.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2019, 05:40:21 PM

We were already in good form going into both January 2017 and January 2018. Both seasons he turned it around late November. So what did we do this year? Sack him on 14 November. You couldn't make it up.

As to him being "ok with transfers", not sure what that proves. Just because he'd accepted that Tony Khan was in charge of transfers, doesn't mean he deserved poor players.

When I go into a restaurant I accept that I have to let a chef do the cooking rather than going out the back and doing it myself. Does that mean I can't complain if the soup is cold?
You can complain the soup is cold but you dont get everyone else in the resturant telling the owner that you should go cook it yourself.
Just the views of a long term fan

Statto

Quote from: MJG on January 14, 2019, 05:42:33 PM

You can complain the soup is cold but you dont get everyone else in the resturant telling the owner that you should go cook it yourself.
I would if I was Michel Roux Jr and the chef was a nobody

alfie

Quote from: toshes mate on January 14, 2019, 04:59:48 PM
For me the problem with recruitment was it was ill thought through.  We had needs, publicly recognised needs, one keeper, two full backs, two central defenders, two midifielders to replace those considered inferior within the promotion squad or cover if they were considered to be okay, a right winger and two strikers (incl Mitro).  Ten PL quality players required, either purchased or loaned, and yet we blew the majority of our budget on two midfielders who were too expensive and nowhere near best picks for what was needed.  And then we wonder why Mitro cost us so much by the time he was signed.   
It's been said many times that the summer acquisitions were good, Seri highly regarded and the football fraternity were shocked we got him, Schullre World Cup winner plenty of premiership experience, Chambers another highly rated player with over 100 premiership games for Arsenal, The fFrench defender sorry can never remember how to spell his name, heard of him but did not know much, the only I did not know was Anguissa.

So a lot of what is being said now is all in hindsight, and to be honest it's not the recruitment teams fault that these players have not performed to expectations.
I guess you will come back to say you knew from off they were poor acquisitions, if that's the case then fair enough. Seems to me that Slav was very quick to drop Betts, KMac and Johansen for these players, and to me what is worse is he continued to select them even though we were getting hammered each week.
Anyway this is just my personal opinion.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

MJG

Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2019, 05:50:44 PM

But you are not Michel Roux Jr and even if you were, you went into the resturant knowing the food would not be cooked by you.
Just the views of a long term fan

Statto

Quote from: MJG on January 14, 2019, 05:53:54 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 14, 2019, 05:50:44 PM

But you are not Michel Roux Jr and even if you were, you went into the resturant knowing the food would not be cooked by you.
Relative to Tony Khan, Jokanovic is Michel Roux Jr.
Tony Khan is one of those 14-year-olds with ADHD that Jamie Oliver used to recruit.

john dempsey

for your information the cold soup is called gazpacho.
and unlike the team it is very tasty and satisfying,

bog

Personally, I would have liked Slav to have been in charge of the players arriving. It sounds as if there was a lot of disharmony in the squad early on with old not welcoming the new and the manager, perhaps, not pleased with these new arrivals. If so a recipe for disaster. Worrying times.   :016:

092.gif