News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are we making exactly the same mistakes again ?

Started by Riversider, January 15, 2019, 01:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcfulham55

Yes. Every year every transfer window. Historically we have been terribly slow.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Deeping_white

Quote from: Riversider on January 15, 2019, 01:59:05 PM
Is it happening again ?
We spent the entire summer window fixated on Matt Targett , it took up so much of our time that we seemingly took our eye of other areas and other players which led to a chaotic final day and a mad trolley dash,
Fast forward to the January window, and now it seems as though we are doing the same with Gary Cahill, Chelsea have said he can go and we want to sign him, but it would appear that his heart isn't in a move to Fulham and he is holding out to see whether or not a better offer comes along, which means that were stuffed if that better offer comes along on the final day,
Give him until Friday and if he hasn't made a decision by then , move on before it's too late,

In the meantime,  Danny Simpson (Leicester) and a triple swoop on Brentford for Chris Mepham, Rico Henry and Ollie Watkins, all better than what we've already got.

Who exactly are Mepham, Henry and Watkins better than exactly? For starters Henry is a sicknote, and he's not better than Bryan because they've both spent their entire career in the championship and Bryan has proven he's better. Mepham isn't better than Mawson and I'd stick my neck out and say Odoi & MLM too, and Ollie Watkins could turn out to be a good PL player but at this point he isn't, and all three don't have PL experience which is apparently important at this point in time to get us out of our situation? Plus Brentford want £15m for Mepham and that's just one of the trio you want which isn't value for money at all if we end up back in the championship anyway

Fulham Tup North

We will know come the end of the season. Should be an enjoyable journey 😁
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Riversider

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 15, 2019, 06:22:25 PM
Quote from: Riversider on January 15, 2019, 01:59:05 PM
Is it happening again ?
We spent the entire summer window fixated on Matt Targett , it took up so much of our time that we seemingly took our eye of other areas and other players which led to a chaotic final day and a mad trolley dash,
Fast forward to the January window, and now it seems as though we are doing the same with Gary Cahill, Chelsea have said he can go and we want to sign him, but it would appear that his heart isn't in a move to Fulham and he is holding out to see whether or not a better offer comes along, which means that were stuffed if that better offer comes along on the final day,
Give him until Friday and if he hasn't made a decision by then , move on before it's too late,

In the meantime,  Danny Simpson (Leicester) and a triple swoop on Brentford for Chris Mepham, Rico Henry and Ollie Watkins, all better than what we've already got.

Who exactly are Mepham, Henry and Watkins better than exactly? For starters Henry is a sicknote, and he's not better than Bryan because they've both spent their entire career in the championship and Bryan has proven he's better. Mepham isn't better than Mawson and I'd stick my neck out and say Odoi & MLM too, and Ollie Watkins could turn out to be a good PL player but at this point he isn't, and all three don't have PL experience which is apparently important at this point in time to get us out of our situation? Plus Brentford want £15m for Mepham and that's just one of the trio you want which isn't value for money at all if we end up back in the championship anyway

Mepham would play alongside Mawson, they would compliment each other perfectly, Mepham is a ball playing centre half that is calm and comfortable on the ball, and last year he broke in to the Wales team, £15 million you say, peanuts for an international centre half at his age,
Seemingly you would have got yourself upset if we had signed either Brooks or Maddinson,
As for Henry, he was out for a while with an injury, now back and fighting fit and getting rave reviews and I would say he is comfortably better than Bryan,
And as for a young lad like Watkins, would offer us a much better future than either Schurrle or Babbel and save us millions at the same time.
But hey, it's all a matter of views and opinions isn't it.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

I would take Watson and Henry also, whilst we are passing through Brentford

Never forget your Roots.

Riversider

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 15, 2019, 08:51:08 PM
I would take Watson and Henry also, whilst we are passing through Brentford

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Matt10

Mepham would be a nice signing, but not sure we're an attractive destination right now considering Brentford are relatively safe, and Southampton look to be on the upside of our table.

I think the concept of looking at players who are in that area of 15th to 24th on the Champ table could work, but again, we're going to be dealing with some unproven PL, and consideration for our position on the table.

If I had my picks at centre-back from the Championship:

CB Martins-Indi - Stoke City; sporadic 90 minute performances as Ashley Williams and Shawcross primarily chosen, PL experienced and quality.
CB Mepham - Brentford; young and on the rise - good size and has everything any club needs.
CB Lees - Sheffield Wed.; experienced and a very strong season, but may want his chance in the PL versus mid-table finish in Champ.

davew

Quote from: Matt10 on January 15, 2019, 09:41:34 PM
Mepham would be a nice signing, but not sure we're an attractive destination right now considering Brentford are relatively safe, and Southampton look to be on the upside of our table.

I think the concept of looking at players who are in that area of 15th to 24th on the Champ table could work, but again, we're going to be dealing with some unproven PL, and consideration for our position on the table.
Anybody who is improving in the Championship are the targets we need to go for to help us next season in the Championship! Give them game time in the PL to get them ready when we return there but don't put pressure on them by thinking they will turn our season round as the won't!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

simplyfulham

For me, I'd be interested in;

CB Craig Dawson - West Brom
Can play right back too.

CB Ryan Shawcross - Stoke
Maybe a bit over the hill and is mr Stoke these days, but he could be the tough sh*thouse we need at the back.

CB Pontus Janssen - Leeds
Possibly the best in the diction.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on January 15, 2019, 06:39:55 PM

Not if the Wheels come off before then, it's a long walk home.

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Mike, MJG, on Cottage Talk was talking of a 'middle way'. ie signing players who are not top Prem players on high wages to get you out of the relegation zone, but decent players who would be  good in the Championship, but who give you a chance of staying up.

Myself, I would like to try to get top Prem quality we can, to give us the best chance of staying up - since accepting going down is very difficult, or even impossible, for me, while we still have a chance.

Of course, it also depends on who  we can get to come to the club, and there are a number of reasons why we haven't got in more players yet, but I expect more before the end of the window, and I'm sure the club is tryig hard, and I think Babel is a good signing.

Matt10

Quote from: simplyfulham on January 15, 2019, 11:15:40 PM

For me, I'd be interested in;

CB Craig Dawson - West Brom
Can play right back too.

CB Ryan Shawcross - Stoke
Maybe a bit over the hill and is mr Stoke these days, but he could be the tough sh*thouse we need at the back.

CB Pontus Janssen - Leeds
Possibly the best in the diction.

I like Dawson for sure. Shawcross and Janssen may be tough targets as Janssen's name is being passed around the bigger clubs and highly doubt anyone would separate from Bielsa at the moment. Shawcross, you're right, is Mr. Stoke.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 15, 2019, 11:18:19 PM

I have walked home many times without wheels, legless maybe but without a sat nav just me set on home pilot and up until now it has worked, what were we talking about agin (spelling mistake lol)! I meant again!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on January 15, 2019, 11:48:35 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 15, 2019, 11:18:19 PM

I have walked home many times without wheels, legless maybe but without a sat nav just me set on home pilot and up until now it has worked, what were we talking about agin (spelling mistake lol)! I meant again!

Dave, I think we were talking about who invented the Wheel, which if I remember correctly, was a Hamster.

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

We can should buy our future Championship First XI NOW including a "Right Back, Centre Back, Right Winger and Centre Forward". As every Player in the Championship, that isn't getting an offer from a team likely to be in next year EPL or in a promotion battle, would be more interested in joining us NOW than in the summer transfer window.

We have 6 EPL players (Rico, Chambers, Seri, Sess, Babel and Mitro) that i dont think would go down to the Championship. And, by my calculation, we another 7 outfield players (Betts, Mawson, MLM, Bryan, Anguissa, Cairney and Schullre) that I would consider good enough for "Championship Winning Starting XI", so we are missing a RB, CB, RW and CF for next season. Buy them NOW.

This would give Fulham 15 uninjured "Championship Winning Starting XI" quality players this season plus some more loans and 11 "Championship Winning Starting XI" for next season, which is the absolute minimium I think we will need next season. And, I think the core of next years squad (particularly the defense) need 6 months training together before starting next season regardless of the division we are in.

toshes mate

The few tasty words uttered by TK - "with the support of the manager" - suggests that while 'the mistakes' may continue, it will not be allowed to escape our mindsets that Mr Babel arrived with Claudio's apparent approval.  Of course, whether that approval came before or after the ink was dry we will never know.