Started by Friendsoffulham, January 15, 2019, 07:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter w

Quote from: JoelH5 on January 16, 2019, 09:00:51 AM
Quote from: peter w on January 16, 2019, 08:56:37 AM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on January 16, 2019, 07:44:10 AM
Quote from: peter w on January 16, 2019, 06:57:12 AM
Oh God where to start with this.

I currently live in Istanbul and whilst here my local team are Besiktas and I go to see them fairly frequently. For roughly 12 months or so I've wanted this useless waste of space to leave the Vodafone Arena. to say he is piss poor, or has been piss poor, is to talk up his abilities. The Tukish top division is as bad now as any time over the past 10 years or so and clubs are losing players due to FFP.

Over the past couple of months or so, as decent players go (Pepe had his contract cancelled in December from Besiktas), and lesser equipped Turkish players replace them in the team, Babel was fairly in unique in finding himself just dropped due to being fkin rubbish.

All I can say is Besiktas's loss is Fulham's loss. When he signed he was asked that after playing in both the premier league and la liga which one was best he cited the latter because his game was more suited to it than to the Premier league. He is slow, lazy, rarely likes to take a player on (because of the first two), always takes the easy option - rolls the ball back to someone else rather than doing what you want a winger to do and attack a player or space. he does and has chipped in with a goal or two but that is mainly due to playing for one of the better teams here where more chances are created.

I expect him to play well in the first few games - as many new signings do - but then for him to revert to type. Christ, he's awful. Thank feck (as a Besiktas fan) he's gone.

That's worrying, we already have loads of them. Isn't he still getting a game for Netherlands?

Quite a few Dutch players playing over here - or who have played over here recently have featured for the Netherlands. I was never particularly surprised that this coincided with probably their worst spell for a long time. As they improve I'd expect these players to be phased out.

Sorry Peter but that's wrong. Over the last 6 months or so the Dutch have had a resurgence. This has coincided with players like Babel being RECALLED. Babel scored against France recently and he started against Germany in Netherlands last game in which they again did very well. Babel is a player in good form.

he isn't a player in good form at all. He was dropped by besiktas and that notwithstanding they have been on a month or so winter break. not sure how his bang average form has been holding up during that period. As for the Netherlands, it always surprised me he ever got a recall which was in 2017 - after 6 years out of the team. That the Dutch improved is more to me a collective change rather than him.

peter w

Ultimately the proof of the pudding and all that...I've seen him live many times so i'll base my judgement on that. If he turns out to be good then well done, you've got a player that may save your season. If not, and he's the player dropped from a poor Besiktas team then you may question the judgement in bringing him back. We'll see.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: peter w on January 16, 2019, 09:25:56 AM
Ultimately the proof of the pudding and all that...I've seen him live many times so i'll base my judgement on that. If he turns out to be good then well done, you've got a player that may save your season. If not, and he's the player dropped from a poor Besiktas team then you may question the judgement in bringing him back. We'll see.

Just checked you're recent posts, and you're a Villa fan. Why are you on a Fulham Forum, commenting on a Fulham player, when you don't even support the club - bit odd?

I seem to recall Celtic fans saying the same thing Johansen, but he ended up being an absolute engine for us, so horses for courses.

He's here for the remainder of the season, intended to be for impact, what he does are that, I really don't care, as he'll be gone.

peter w

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 16, 2019, 09:38:23 AM
Quote from: peter w on January 16, 2019, 09:25:56 AM

Just checked you're recent posts, and you're a Villa fan. Why are you on a Fulham Forum, commenting on a Fulham player, when you don't even support the club - bit odd?

I seem to recall Celtic fans saying the same thing Johansen, but he ended up being an absolute engine for us, so horses for courses.

He's here for the remainder of the season, intended to be for impact, what he does are that, I really don't care, as he'll be gone.

because as I said earlier that I live in Istanbul and follow Besiktas. Which is where Ryan babel was signed from. Rather than guess at his ability through youtube thought you may appreciate some up-to-date first hand observations from someone who who has seen him play recently. That I'm a Villa fan is neither here nor there.

filham

I currently live in Istanbul and whilst here my local team are Besiktas and I go to see them fairly frequently. For roughly 12 months or so I've wanted this useless waste of space to leave the Vodafone Arena. to say he is piss poor, or has been piss poor, is to talk up his abilities. The Tukish top division is as bad now as any time over the past 10 years or so and clubs are losing players due to FFP.

Over the past couple of months or so, as decent players go (Pepe had his contract cancelled in December from Besiktas), and lesser equipped Turkish players replace them in the team, Babel was fairly in unique in finding himself just dropped due to being fkin rubbish.

All I can say is Besiktas's loss is Fulham's loss. When he signed he was asked that after playing in both the premier league and la liga which one was best he cited the latter because his game was more suited to it than to the Premier league. He is slow, lazy, rarely likes to take a player on (because of the first two), always takes the easy option - rolls the ball back to someone else rather than doing what you want a winger to do and attack a player or space. he does and has chipped in with a goal or two but that is mainly due to playing for one of the better teams here where more chances are created.

I expect him to play well in the first few games - as many new signings do - but then for him to revert to type. Christ, he's awful. Thank feck (as a Besiktas fan) he's gone.
So you would not expect him to get a hat trick against Spurs on Sunday.

peter w

Quote from: filham on January 16, 2019, 10:21:22 AM

No, in time honoured tradition I'd expect him to smash in 5 in an 8-0 romp.

BedsFFC

Quote from: peter w on January 16, 2019, 10:52:52 AM

You sound a decent guy mate. Your comments re Babel sum up my fear on him.

I suppose the one saving grace is we only need a honeymoon period from him.

One question. Is he quick? As in current premiership standards?

peter w

Quote from: BedsFFC on January 16, 2019, 11:05:55 AM

God, no. maybe he will be in his first match or two but then will settle down to being a bone idle passenger. I've not seen anything rom him to call him quick though. More Snodgrass speed than Sterling.

Sgt Fulham

Welcome Ryan. I assumed he retired years ago but I was wrong. Whatever, full support now he's in black and white!

peter w

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on January 16, 2019, 11:50:31 AM
Welcome Ryan. I assumed he retired years ago but I was wrong. Whatever, full support now he's in black and white!

He's been wearing black & white for a few years...

ScalleysDad

Quote from: peter w on January 16, 2019, 11:35:42 AM
Quote from: BedsFFC on January 16, 2019, 11:05:55 AM

God, no. maybe he will be in his first match or two but then will settle down to being a bone idle passenger. I've not seen anything rom him to call him quick though. More Snodgrass speed than Sterling.

Thanks for the input. I have no idea how all this is going to play out suffice to say we need a leader, some grit and creativity in midfield, a Mitro clone or the complete opposite for Ranieri's plan B, defensive options and a Messiah. Even before your post I was thinking I had drifted off to a different time space thing when Babel was announced. Now I'm thinking how on earth did the recruitment pantomime come up with Babel when it's so obvious what we need and even Ranieri has said what he needs.
As with any player coming to the Club welcome and all that but really?????? For the game time it is going to take Babel to settle and if he is indeed his primary role will be to rotate with our German World Cup veteran I would have looked at our under twenty three squad or just let Humphries get the experience.
What do we know? Spent a pleasant afternoon in May with a bunch of Villains. Good luck this time round.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: SouthIslandWhite on January 16, 2019, 02:23:35 AM
Well if the YouTube videos are accurate, then we just got a good player who can help us score a few goals.  Frankly we could probably use him. We sure could use a bit of possession and maybe a few more goals on the good side of the ledger. Time will tell. Dear God, please don't let him be another Mitroglou.

I hope he will add some quality to Fulhams attempt to escape relegation. But I am sceptical whether he really has the desire and fight in him to get behind the team.
In other words is he the kind of player we need at this time. Can he play centre back, or full back, if not, what is he doing here. Also can he play 90 mins ?
Surely we have players in our Academy that can offer as much or even more than he can. Will he be another passenger, I dam well hope not.
But I am at a loss as to why the recruitment merchants have gone for this kind of player when our priorities are elsewhere, it is so underwhelming, I despair.
Who knows, Yes he could pop up and score the winner on Sunday.
But in a relegation battle, I Question whether it's another judgement that is misplaced.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: peter w on January 16, 2019, 11:53:38 AM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on January 16, 2019, 11:50:31 AM

He's been wearing black & white for a few years...

Not the right kind!

Marcel_Gecov

JoelH5

That's worrying, we already have loads of them. Isn't he still getting a game for Netherlands?

Quite a few Dutch players playing over here - or who have played over here recently have featured for the Netherlands. I was never particularly surprised that this coincided with probably their worst spell for a long time. As they improve I'd expect these players to be phased out.

So how do you think he did Peter?
I was there, standing in the Putney end

peter w

Quote from: JoelH5 on May 20, 2019, 11:18:32 PM

So how do you think he did Peter?

no idea. Didn't see any of his games. Playing for a long-term contract somewhere probably.