watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cahill not coming because

Started by The Swan, January 21, 2019, 05:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Cahill and Chelsea had agreed a deal  but Fulham would not give Cahill a longer contract. So Cahill pulled out. According to Sky .

We are now relegated as we really need a centre half. Just look at our defending yesterday.
The Swan

Berserker

we may get another centre half just as good and half the price

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Twig

Quote from: Berserker on January 21, 2019, 05:37:16 PM
we may get another centre half just as good and half the price

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I won't hold my breath.

gang

The Swan

Maybe it will never happen. Did our owner not see the hapless defending yesterday, Come on and sort it out because if we don't we are returning to the Championship at the end of this season.
The Swan

hovewhite

Houdini couldn't help us escape relegation I don't think.

KJS

Quote from: The Swan on January 21, 2019, 06:12:33 PM
Maybe it will never happen. Did our owner not see the hapless defending yesterday, Come on and sort it out because if we don't we are returning to the Championship at the end of this season.

If we do go down it won't be the end of the world and the club won't pay the wages Cahill wants for good reason he isn't worth £120,000 a week

RaySmith

Look at the impact Babel had -a coupl of defenders with the same impact on the game........?

jarv

Policy.....nobody over 28 gets a contract I suspect. As Ricky Gervais would say, "throw the policy book out the window" ...10 days left to find a centre half.  I know a lad I used to play with at Fulham Compton old boys, good centre half but he is a bit older now. We played back in the 70s so probably not quick enough.

MJG

Sensible decision. If we gave him 120k a week for 18 months and go down we are in trouble. Those kind of wages would pay for 3-5 top championship players.
Just the views of a long term fan

The Old Count

Quote from: MJG on January 21, 2019, 06:39:07 PM
Sensible decision. If we gave him 120k a week for 18 months and go down we are in trouble. Those kind of wages would pay for 3-5 top championship players.

We could offset that amount elsewhere or loan him out if we go down (even if we paid a proportion of his wages) that would mitigate too much financial strain. So probably not a financial decision.  Possibly more to do with upsetting any wage structure in place.

H4usuallysitting

If Babel turns out good (and I think he will), I'd bite his hand off to sign him for the championship, doesn't matter how old he is.... isn't Ashley Cole going to derby

Spirit of 2000

Agree 100%

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 21, 2019, 07:23:29 PM
If Babel turns out good (and I think he will), I'd bite his hand off to sign him for the championship, doesn't matter how old he is.... isn't Ashley Cole going to derby

Agree as long as he's not on stupid wages

bog

If he is not coming because we did not offer along enough contract, I wonder if we did try one where if we got relegated his money would be reviewed?

092.gif

Statto

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on January 21, 2019, 08:50:10 PM

Agree 100%

Fine but is it a sensible decision to have focussed on him for a month instead of a more realistic target?

It must have crossed our minds that someone on £120k at the moment might want pretty generous terms to come here

ByTheRiver

.... Because we are already down and he doesn't want to a) take a contract until the end of the season and then be looking for a final pay day with his stock reduced and tarnished by relegation, whist being another season older. And/or b). Take a longer contract with us with a relegation clause meaning reduced wages in what will probably be his final contract and earnings before retirement.

Sounds fair enough to me. Let's get someone in who can do a job, and is willing to do a job, for us in the championship, on wages which are sustainable in the aforementioned championship.

filham

He could have watched the Spurs game and decided that if he has to work as hard as our players did in that game for the rest of the season he would be better taking it easy at Chelsea, especially with all that money stacking up in his bank account.

nose returns

we need a top class center half, he was available, do you have an alternative suggestion of a player that may make a similar impact?

MJG

Quote from: nose on January 21, 2019, 09:56:37 PM
we need a top class center half, he was available, do you have an alternative suggestion of a player that may make a similar impact?
you don't know what impact he will make. Last played a game in late November.
You will note I said sensible because of the 18 month possibility. Short term I'm still not sure he's right for us but maybe worth the gamble... But not longer because of the cost.
We went down last time with over 30's with no value on  40k plus a week, let's learn by our mistakes and not do that again.
Just the views of a long term fan