watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Norfolk Jim: My Awayday Musings

Started by Logicalman, February 07, 2010, 11:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

I have copied and posted the following, as, unlike many threads on the offal, this one was well thought out, informative, and quite personal to Norfolk Jims experience. I am so glad that there are some supporters that will take the time, unfortunately it was - generally - ignored over there, so I post it here for your consumption. I think people here will appreciate and understand the experience - I do.

" ....

Set off from home at 4.45am yesterday to get through the fog to Norwich station for the early train to Manchester (special £1 fare to Sheffield if you take the first train of the day). Utterly miserable, wet and grey outside so I was pleased when having passed the Pennines it was all blue sky on the West side. East Midlands Trains have the 2nd hardest seats in the world (Northern Trains bus like trains have the worst) my arse was in agony by Nottingham. As they only put 2 carriages on a train from Norwich to LIverpool by Sheffield it was like a greek Orgy on a hot day on that train (Liverpoooool and Man Utd both at home). You that can get the Kings Ferry dont know how lucky you are - did we really bring just the 1 coach?

I always like going to Bolton and try most years. I'd have gone to Blackburn too but for the last minute date swap. The Reebok is surprisingly far from away from Bolton, which is understandable when you stop off in Bolton itself - that place is like a wasteland with supermarkets.

Bolton station is easily the most unwelcoming, miserable excuse for a station I've ever seen so its just as well you use Horwich Parkway for the Reebok.

Having arrived ridiculously early I spent a while watching the Bolton players arrive in their glitzy flash motors, hoofing out their darling kiddies and WAGs before taking time to sign autographs. They were pretty tolerant to be honest, I was slightly impressed. Some of those Bolton youf waiting for signatures come over as having the IQ of a chimp - One asked the player for his shirt? At least they took time to sign for their fans and pose for photos.

With the FFC coach due I went around to see them arrive and was surprised to see no Zamora. I also thought that Nevland looked uncomfortable in his walk, is he maybe playing with an injury?

Very few of our players acknowledged the fans or would sign autographs. Pascal did, Mark did, and Roy himself did, and Smalling did. The rest just walzed past us and into the players enterance.

You know, we come a long way and endure a lot to support these guys - I know its a bore for them but they could just pause for the odd scribble, it wouldn't hurt them. Prem players seem so aloof compared to the old days - there was a lot more togetherness in the tough times between players and fans, hell Ivor even gave us tickets and so did other players.

You get a good view at the Reebok and the atmosphere is good as the sound is kept inside the stadium. This really helped our boys to make a good bit of noise. I was away from them so just had to conduct my one man band, but the main body of fans did a great job of making themselves heard considering our low numbers of travelling fans.

We were SO LUCKY. The injury situation will really knock down what we can achieve this season and on the pitch we had to battle to keep it to nil. I was frustrated at Murphy - his passing was off, he misdirected a lot of passes or they fell short and put us in trouble. Mark pulled off a great save from the Korean boy (He looked good), didnt realise how good till I saw it again on MOTD. Got his legs in the way another time and deflected the ball onto the bar. Bolton scored right at the death but we were lucky and the ref disallowed it - I couldnt see anything wrong with it, even on TV, so we got a break with that one. We never really threatened Bolton. Our team looks like its missing the players who are out - which is a right bugger considering we could make the FA cup quarter finals and face Ajax or Juventus in the Europa - which are now probably going to be low on our list of priorities and genuinely become a liability because we cant take many more injuries. At this rate we'll be putting the ball boy on as a striker!

Still, I enjoyed the day out. Train home was full of Scousers and Man Utd heading East, all pi55sed. Sure enough it all kicked off by Nottingham and we were stuck there for ages while 20+ police took them on, on the train, on the platform. No one wanted to take me on though, probably because I was sat next to a man mountain and it looked like we were together, or maybe its just the case that very rarely does anyone want to give me any grief. Anyway, I kept the Fulham shirt out on display through the mini riot. Fell asleep at Grantham when the last of the Manure got off, woke up in Norwich at 11.15, home for midnight.

I'm finding these long haul days a bit tougher now I'm 45. The lengths we'll go to surprise me sometimes. I've got flights to Donetsk but no leave! Aaaaargh - Do I fein illness and risk the sack or come clean and beg for mercy. I thought I'd have to take the hit and just hope I could got to Amsterdam or Turin instead but it dont look good for progession now does it.

COYW's keep the faith - lets have a few more travellers as well, I know its expensive and takes all day and theres SO much else to do in London but you dont know how lucky you are, all the options that are open to you - Club travel, Airports with destinations, mainline railways to everywhere. Motorways that go to your neck of the woods. Even just 1 or 2 more games, it all helps.

.... "

WhiteJC

finnster01

A very good read indeed. Well done Mr Logical to fwd that on here, and well done Norfolk Jim for going to the extra bother and write it
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

RidgeRider

We should recruit him to post over here. He'd fit right in. Well done and thanks Lman!

LBNo11

...Norfolk Jim is a member of FOF but has never posted on here.. ???
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

NorfolkJim

Glad this was of interest to you. I do visit the FOF board from time to time, especially fond of White Noise media round ups, very useful service. I spend a lot of time on the club messageboard as I dont want to leave it without any representation from someone other than the nasties. I can well understand the preference to post over here and maintain some modicum of pleasantries and reasonable banter between fans. Guess I'm just a sucker for punishment ::)

LBNo11

...well you are always welcome to share the posts on both MB's - hope you do...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

SuffolkWhite

Hello Norfolk,

If you do any trips home or away, tip me the wink as I may be able to accompany you on some occasions as I am not too far from you.

Cheers
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

NogoodBoyo

A lovely picture of Saturday travels in Britain, Norfolk Jim.  I hope Roy gets to see this and sticks it up on a notice board somewhere for the players to read and digest.  Over to you AmMike!
Nogood "losing your baggage when crossing Norfolk Broads, isit" Boyo