NFR - Fuller's brewery

Started by H4usuallysitting, January 25, 2019, 03:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

I don't think Doombar is brewed in Cornwall anymore

Holders

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 26, 2019, 01:07:37 PM
I don't think Doombar is brewed in Cornwall anymore

Cask is still made in Cornwall, bottled in Burton apparently. But I see that Sharps is owned by Coors so it's on the slippery slope anyway. For Cornish beer I prefer Skinners and they make a drinkable cider as well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Penfold

Not a fan of Doombar and it would not surprise me if some of it was brewed at Coors plant in Tadcaster, North Yorkshire. This used to be an ale brewery in the Bass empire brewing such delights as Bass mild (ok), Bass light (ho hum) and Bass special (🤮)

Fernhurst

"but also had Doom Bar (Cornwall) on offer which seems to be everywhere these days"

Agreed.... sometimes proffered as the only bitter available!!
I can't abide it.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Holders

Quote from: Fernhurst on January 26, 2019, 04:28:58 PM
"but also had Doom Bar (Cornwall) on offer which seems to be everywhere these days"

Agreed.... sometimes proffered as the only bitter available!!
I can't abide it.

I would have to choose it over keg beer or Badger.

MikeTheCubed

Hopefully the London Brewers Alliance festival will still take place at the Chiswick brewery this summer. The inaugural one last summer was superb.

H4usuallysitting

Many years back in St Ives, drunk a beer called HSB.....lovely stuff, the memory of the hangover still lasts with me - I think it might have been St Austell Brewery..... I think they make/made Tribute

Holders

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 26, 2019, 06:19:47 PM
Many years back in St Ives, drunk a beer called HSB.....lovely stuff, the memory of the hangover still lasts with me - I think it might have been St Austell Brewery..... I think they make/made Tribute

Wouldn't HSB have been Horndean Special Bitter from Gales? Sadly they folded a few years ago as well.

Penfold

Correct. Fuller's bought them out. Still brew a beer called HSB. Introduced Seafarers under the Gale's name. And a few seasonal beers. I'm against using closed breweries for marketing.

jarv

I used to live in Chiswick and Putney (not at the same time).   Love London Pride and Youngs. Last year I was in the dukes head across the river from CC) after a game at CC and have to say, the Youngs bitter was still excellent. I hope Fullers survives.

Holders

Quote from: Penfold on January 26, 2019, 07:13:42 PM
Correct. Fuller's bought them out. Still brew a beer called HSB. Introduced Seafarers under the Gale's name. And a few seasonal beers. I'm against using closed breweries for marketing.

Yes, that's right, I remember now. So it's karma for Fullers!

I hope they decide to brew London Pride in Tokyo.

H4usuallysitting

Whenever I'm in the states - I always look out for a pint of Yuengling.....I always try and get to a Bahama Breeze Bar (I'm a proper tourist) as well....isn't life pleasures simple

filham

Breweries seem to have been in slow decline for a ling while, what is the reason.
Perhaps we are drinking more wine and less bear than we used to.

King_Crud

A friend's family work in the brewery, they've been told they're going to ramp up production of Pride for export