Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (19/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 19, 2010, 07:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6452580,00.html

Greening - Spurs were laughing
Cottagers man still bemused by referee Dean's U-turn

Fulham midfielder Jonathan Greening claims Aaron Lennon admitted that Tottenham's winner on Saturday should not have stood.

The Cottagers man is still bemused as to why the match officials awarded Tom Huddlestone's controversial strike at Craven Cottage.

Referee Mike Dean overruled a decision from his assistant during the second half of a keenly-fought London derby to hand Spurs a 2-1 win.

William Gallas was stood in an offside position as the ball sailed past him and into the net, leading to the flag being raised.

However, Dean, after consulting with his assistant, proceeded to give the goal and Tottenham all three points.

Greening insists that decision was farcical, with even the Spurs players unable to believe their luck.

Joke
"Most of the Tottenham players were laughing and saying 'if they give this now it's going to be a bit of a joke'," Greening said in the Fulham Chronicle.

"For one he was in an offside position and interfering with play. The linesman gave offside and I don't know why the ref tried to get involved really.

"Aaron Lennon admitted it was definitely offside, so I don't know what the referee saw."

Greening felt a 1-1 draw would have been a fairer reflection on the all-capital contest, with two evenly matched sides having cancelled each other out until Huddlestone's hotly-disputed winner.

He added: "It was an even game. We got a good goal and then were a bit sloppy to let them back into it straight away.

"They've come out strong in the second half, but at the end of the day, the referee's decision has killed us."

WhiteJC

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/beating-a-dead-horse.html

Beating a dead horse
By: timmyg

Well, Fulham made Football365's Losers list this week. Thankfully for nothing we did though.

Fulham
Rightly aggrieved, as well as rudely treated, because there were problems aplenty with Mike Dean's decision to overrule lineman Martin Yerby and award Tottenham's winning goal at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The first is that the game's authorities are invariably reluctant to over-rule any decision made on the field of play. True enough, the saying 'the referee's decision is final' makes no mention of linesmen, but Dean's actions nonetheless undermine a central creed in officialdom's code of conduct.

A second is that it was wrong. Though attacking play should always be given the benefit of doubt, there's no doubt that Gallas was in an offside position when Tom Huddlestone shot on goal. Gallas became active once he tried to connect with the ball. That he missed the ball is irrelevant. As Mark Hughes pointed out: "Schwarzer has to hold his position until the ball reaches where Gallas is because Gallas might stick out a toe and touch it".

And the third is that Dean refused to account for his actions. As reported elsewhere on the site: 'Hughes confronted Dean after the final whistle and was told to visit the referee once they had left the field. "I'd like a little bit of clarification," said Hughes before learning the official had already left the stadium.'

So much for respect being a two-way street.

Moving right along, West Brom away this coming weekend is going to be a tricky with all our injuries, and the fact that the Baggies play almost a "run-and-gun" style offense that relies on homerun-style passes and crosses across the field. It's definitely not Route 1, but the ball is also never on the grass for more than a second or two. I'll post some chalkboards later this week to further illustrate my point.

There's something unique to that side, and it's quite disconcerting.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=217525

Fulham - Hughes on that Goal!
The minute the referee over-ruled the linesman, on Saturday, there was the potential for mayhem!

If Huddlestone`s deflected shot had of deflected off William Gallas then we`d, probably, still have our unbeaten Premier League run intact. The fact he flung his foot at it and missed seems to deem that he wasn`t offside even though he was clearly obstructing the view that Mark Schwarzer had.

Naturally Mark Hughes wanted an explanation as t why the decision had been reversed and somebody of a more fiery nature could well have found themselves in hot water with the FA this morning.

All things considering though, Hughes showed a great deal of restraint and it was something, along with the reason why, he discussed with the media afterwards, explaining,

"I didn`t go in an aggressive manner. I just gave my view and very quickly he said come and see me so I just walked away."

"There is no point in getting yourself in any trouble when really whatever I say and whatever he says won`t make any difference."

"I don`t think I was in his face. I was about 15 yards away - and maybe that was a good thing."

Anyone care to start us off with a list of managers that might not have shown such restraint!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=217525#ixzz12ml6TVLt

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=217524

Fulham - The Bounce-back-ability Factor!
The unbeaten Premier League run was nice whilst it lasted but is it a bad thing that it has ended?

Some would say it only served to put pressure on us whilst others would suggest that it boosted our confidence!

Either way it`s now gone and what is important is that we don`t allow one defeat to become two and then hit that slippery slope down.

Mark Hughes, only too aware of the need to bounce back, spoke about such a thing in the aftermath of that first defeat, explaining,

"We have been very positive in our play both home and away this year and that will continue because that is the type of football I want to play."

"We are a decent side. I am disappointed because we have lost our unbeaten record - but I am pleased with what we are producing."

"We just needed a little more guile in the last 15 minutes when we were chasing the game."

Or perhaps the unjust nature of the Spurs winner knocked us out of our stride!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=217524#ixzz12mlMUlQi

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=217559

Fulham - Laughing, Laughing!
There`s more controversy surfacing after that dodgy Spurs goal!

The Fulham Chronicle carries some interesting quotes from Jonathan Greening.

Greening in the side due to the absence of the injured Dickson Etuhu reckons we were robbed on Saturday (a point I`ll not argue with) and reckons he saw and heard the Spurs players ridiculing the referee`s decision to disallow the Spurs winning goal.

Speaking to the local rag, Greening had this to say,

"Most of the Tottenham players were laughing and saying 'if they give this now it's going to be a bit of a joke'.'

'For one he was in an offside position and interfering with play. The linesman gave offside and I don't know why the ref tried to get involved really."

'Aaron Lennon admitted it was definitely offside, so I don't know what the referee saw.'

Several thousand Spurs fans journeying back to N17 with a big smile on their faces knowing they`d pulled a flanker I guess!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=217559#ixzz12mmFaYps

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/greening-claims-tottenham-players-admitted-winner-should-not-have-stood-1188331

Greening claims Tottenham players admitted winner should not have stood

Fulham midfielder Jonathan Greening claims Aaron Lennon admitted that Tottenham's winner on Saturday should not have stood.

William Gallas was stood in an offside position as Tom Huddlestone's shot sailed past him and into the net, leading to the flag being raised.

However, referee Mike Dean, after consulting with his assistant, proceeded to give the goal and Spurs all three points.

Greening insists that decision was farcical, with even the Spurs players unable to believe their luck.

"Most of the Tottenham players were laughing and saying 'if they give this now it's going to be a bit of a joke'," Greening said in the Fulham Chronicle.

"For one he was in an offside position and interfering with play. The linesman gave offside and I don't know why the ref tried to get involved really.

"Aaron Lennon admitted it was definitely offside, so I don't know what the referee saw."

He added: "It was an even game. We got a good goal and then were a bit sloppy to let them back into it straight away.

"They've come out strong in the second half, but at the end of the day, the referee's decision has killed us."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/the-managers-as-players/

The managers as players
Filed under: General — rich

Top tier – excellent players
1    Carlo    Ancelotti    the dark side
2    Roberto Mancini        Man City
3    Mark    Hughes        Fulham

Batch two – top pros
4    Alex     McLeish        Birmingham
5    Steve    Bruce        Sunderland
6    Chris    Hughton        Newcastle
7    Roberto Di Matteo    WBA

Third rate – good careers
8    Owen    Coyle        Bolton
9    Mick    McCarthy    Wolves
10    Alex     Ferguson    Man Utd
11    Sam    Allardyce    Blackburn
12    Ian    Holloway    Blackpool
13    David    Moyes        Everton
14    Harry    Redknapp    Spurs
15    Roberto Martínez    Wigan
16    Tony    Pulis        Stoke

The nags
17    Arsene    Wenger        Arsenal
18    Gerard    Houllier    Villa
19    Roy    Hodgson        Liverpool
20    Avram    Grant        West Ham

In short, they’re pretty good.   What strikes me first is that there are few elite players in this list.   Ancelotti was excellent, and played on one of the great club sides (Milan c89/90), but he was some way down the pecking order in that side and wasn’t what you might call an important international player.

But he was still in this team, which to my mind nudges him ahead of Mancini, another fine player who wasn’t quite from the top drawer.  (NB – there are three Robertos in this list; who knew?)

Was Hughes better than Mancini?  Very possibly, but we must remember that in the 1990s Serie A was the place to be and that Mancini was one of the best players in that league (and won awards to prove it).  So while Hughes had a fine career, I give the edge to Mancini

The second batch are less exciting but all had decent careers.  McLeish is probably less remembered than he ought to be, having won trophies with Aberdeen and played for Scotland for a long time.  These days he’d perhaps have been a top Premiership defender.

Steve Bruce was a top Premiership defender, an integral part of Ferguson’s best United sides, and it really feels like he ought to be above McLeish.  But equally, that feels like a thought swayed by the modern world and its associated hype, so McLeish, and his better international career, gets the nod.

Chris Hughton was a bit before my time, but was a very decent full-back at a time when Spurs were pretty tidy.   Roberto Di Matteo was a good player, of course, but I’ve always been a bit suspicious of his credentials, so Hughton goes first.

Next are the solid pros, Coyle had a successful career in Scotland and England, McCarthy was a solid if limited player who went to a World Cup, Ferguson was probably better than his ranking here suggests (lots of goals), and on it goes really.  Perhaps a step down from here to Allardyce, Holloway, Moyes, Redknapp, Martinez and Pulis, all of whom had fair stints in football but perhaps would have been forgotten had they not taken up management.

Wenger played a bit in France and seems to have been a cut above Houllier and Hodgson, the former never really playing seriously, the latter getting into Crystal Palace reserves but no further.  And Avram Grant doesn’t seem to have played at all.

What does it all mean?  Not much.  Suggests that playing experience to some degree is required for understanding and a minimum of respect.  It also suggests that superstardom does not make managers, and that few of the Greenwood/Robson era England players have made it as managers, despite not (necessarily) being fabulously wealthy from their playing careers (which could explain why none of the subsequent England teams are represented).

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_6453222,00.html

Big Sam surprised by Murphy
Rovers boss insists his team are not dirty

Blackburn Rovers manager Sam Allardyce admits he could not understand Danny Murphy's recent criticism of his team.

Murphy claimed that Blackburn's boss, along with his Stoke and Wolves counterparts, sent out his players so 'pumped up' that they were more prone to committing reckless tackles.

The Fulham captain has subsequently stated his comments were taken out of context and the matter has been blown out of proportion.

Allardyce has insisted his team are not a dirty side and was surprised that experienced midfielder Murphy chose to mention specific clubs.

Justified
"I don't really know where that came from and I don't know why he's said it," Allardyce told Sky Sports.

"He's said in the papers recently about it that if anybody listens to the full commentary or full discussion you can see what he meant, but Danny didn't need to mention any of the teams he mentioned at all.

"I was having a nice break in Spain at the time when I got four or five texts very early in the morning saying 'you won't like what's on Sky Sports News', and I didn't. So, I don't understand why he's said it.

"We justified ourselves in terms of the discipline side of things. Danny went on more about that we wind players up and go out and perhaps foul players and injure players - that was his line.

"We never try and do that. We've got one of the best disciplinary records in the Premier League.

"There is a perception that we are long ball, physical and dirty, but that perception is wrong.

"We try to play and get the maximum out of the players. We try and entertain when we can and win as many games as we possibly can as that's what I'm employed to do."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/19/fulham-boss-wants-tough-treatment-for-andy-johnson-82029-27496769/

Fulham boss wants tough treatment for Andy Johnson

ANDY Johnson is in for some pretty tough tackling at Southampton later today – and that's just how his manager wants it.

In the week when team-mate Danny Murphy ignited wrath with comments over dangerous play, boss Mark Hughes reckons the only way he'll discover whether the £10m striker is ready for a return to Premiership action is by the challenges he gets at St Mary's.

The behind-doors friendly is also slated to be Johnson's first 90 minutes in nine months after a combination of injuries has deprived Fulham of his services since January.

Hughes said: "We tried to arrange decent opposition last week – but we could only get an in-house match where Andy played 60 minutes.

"But players pulled out of tackles to protect him and themselves. At Southampton he'll get more of a game that will also be competitive – and we'll see after that."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/19/fulham-boss-wants-tough-treatment-for-andy-johnson-82029-27496769/#ixzz12mo4fFCp

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/striker-target-on-the-move-1108595.html

Striker target on the move

Nigerian star striker Kalu Uche, the subject of a Fulham offer last year, could be on his way from Almeria.

The 27-year-old striker was reportedly the subject of a £2m offer from Fulham last year under previous boss Roy Hodgson but the deal was turned down.

Almeria president Alberto Benito has now indicated that the player may well be available this new year amidst rumours Sunderland want him as well, whether Mark Hughes is as keen as Hodgson apparently was remains to be seen.

"We have not had any formal offers from England for Uche," Benito told newspapers in Spain.

"If a bid were to arrive it would be studied, if the amount was interesting for the team."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/SeniorCoachingChanges.aspx?

Senior Coaching Changes

n line with the Club's continued commitment to young player development, we are delighted to confirm that Ray Lewington will be leading the technical programme for the Academy.

Ray's exceptional experience and knowledge of the Club and the game will be key in achieving our goals of continued coach education and providing a first class environment for our young players to develop.

We are also delighted to announce the appointment of Glyn Hodges as an additional First Team Coach. Glyn joins the team with a wealth of experience, including working with Mark Hughes at both Blackburn and Manchester City.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/SeniorCoachingChanges.aspx?#ixzz12oDBjIwd

WhiteJC

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2010/10/19/west-brom-jonathan-greening-on-why-he-left-and-what-he-won-t-do-on-saturday-97319-27496839/?

West Brom: Jonathan Greening on why he left - and what he won't do on Saturday

JONATHAN Greening has promised to show restraint if he scores against Albion on Saturday.

The ex-Baggies skipper will be back at The Hawthorns for the first time since his move to Fulham last summer.

Greening, who made 224 appearances for Albion during a five-year spell, completed a £5.5 million move to Fulham following a loan spell last season.

The former Manchester United midfielder has always retained a fondness for the club.

Since his transfer he has revealed he would welcome a move back to the club in a coaching capacity once his playing career has finished.

And 'Jono', who is expected to get a good reception when he returns with the Cottagers, accepts that this weekend's game will be an emotional day for him.

In the unlikely event of him scoring – he only scored eight goals during five years at Albion, once for Fulham – he has told Baggies fans to not expect an outpouring of joy.

"I can't wait to go back there," said Greening, who will also be joined by ex-Albion men Zoltan Gera and Diomansy Kamara.

"I love the club – it's where I played the best football of my career, where I was happiest.

"If I play I'll be trying to get a result for Fulham but, if I scored, I definitely wouldn't celebrate.

"It would be disrespectful to the people and fans who I had such a good relationship with.

"Luckily for West Brom I don't score many so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

"I only left West Brom because I was offered a chance to play in the Europa League for Fulham – no other reason than that.

"Jeremy Peace and Robbie Di Matteo were keen for me to stay and even promised me the same financial package as Fulham offered, but it wasn't about money.

"It's a special club, I still live in the Midlands and I am very grateful to have so many happy memories of the club – the Great Escape, an FA Cup semi-final and lifting the title."

Greening watched with interest how Graham Dorrans developed last season.

Although the Scotland midfielder has yet to fire this term – he was a substitute on Saturday – Greening predicts an upturn in form soon.

"He was brilliant last season but I wasn't surprised," added Greening.

"You could tell straight away that he had something special about him, even when he first joined.

"He's got three great former midfielders coaching him in Robbie, 'Appy' and Eddie Newton – he can only learn and improve from people like that.

"I expect him to have a great career. I said it last year, and I say it again – he'll be one of those players who moves for £10 million one day. And West Brom will get the best out of him."

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2010/10/19/west-brom-jonathan-greening-on-why-he-left-and-what-he-won-t-do-on-saturday-97319-27496839/2/#ixzz12oDoKTZd

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/GreeningSpursReaction.aspx?

Middle Man

Jonathan Greening recorded his first start of the season on Saturday as Fulham narrowly lost out to Tottenham at Craven Cottage. Greening partnered Danny Murphy in the centre of midfield and produced an accomplished display in the middle of the park.

"I was delighted to have a start, we wanted to have a win under our belt but it wasn't to be," Greening told fulhamfc.com.

The key moment of the match, Tom Huddlestone's second-half goal, certainly raised more than its fair share of debate, with William Gallas initially being flagged for offside before the decision was overruled by the Referee.

"A lot of the lads were a bit incensed because the linesman gave the offside and Aaron Lennon said to me 'if he [the referee] gives this now it's a bit of a joke', he did and we were all gobsmacked really.

"It's such a shame because both teams were playing quite well, it was an even game and probably the draw would have been a fair result.

"We looked really good in the first-half, maybe we were a bit sloppy in the first five or ten minutes but after that we got the ball down and passed it really well. We got our goal then switched off a bit, which was really disappointing, but we felt that the first-half went really well.

"We tried to keep it going in the second-half but it broke up a little bit because we had a couple of lads with knocks, Mousa and Danny Murphy, they were struggling to carry on. We had to change them and that probably broke it up a little bit. But we definitely deserved a point out of the game.

"I've been waiting for my chance all season, my last game was in July so it's been a good three months since my last appearance but I really enjoyed it. Training's really high tempo so you feel fit from training – we've got such good team spirit and good players so it's easy to slot in."

Greening returns to the Hawthorns this weekend as Fulham take on West Brom on Saturday – having featured for the Baggies for five seasons, Greening is expecting a mixed reaction from the West Brom faithful.

"I had just over five years there," he said. "I played 230 games so I think a few fans will be quite appreciative of that but maybe some will boo me for leaving when they got relegated – but we'll see."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/GreeningSpursReaction.aspx?#ixzz12oEJdBLA

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/werder-bremen-battling-stoke-fulham-attacker-gera-1190351?

Werder Bremen battling Stoke for Fulham attacker Gera

Werder Bremen are lining up a bid for Fulham attacker Zoltan Gera.

Werder want to bring Gera to Germany in January, though will face competition from Stoke City.

Gera insists he's happy at Craven Cottage, though the prospect of challenging for trophies with Werder will be tempting.

WhiteJC

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2189100,00.html?

Saints Under 21s Take On Fulham

Martin Hunter's Under-21s side are taking on Fulham this afternoon in a behind closed doors match.

Live updates will appear via Saints' official twitter feed in the box below.

Saintsfc.co.uk will bring you a full report and match reaction later today.

Andy johnson draws a smart save from bart as ref dermot gallagher brings first half to a close h/t saints 1-0 fulham #saintsfc

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/45468/Top_Three_Players_that_nearly_signed_for_Fulham.aspx?

Top Three: Players that nearly signed for Fulham

Close but no cigar is the theme of this week's Top Three series on Sport.co.uk, as we look at those players who almost joined Fulham but ended up forging a successful career away from Craven Cottage.

So cast your minds back, Cottagers fans, and join us in a state of rueful nostalgia as we look at Sport.co.uk's Top Three: Players that nearly signed for Fulham...

What do you think, Fulham fans? Which other players do you consider to be crucial near misses? Have your say in the comments section below...

John Carew – Jean Tigana's Fulham agreed a £7.5m fee for 22 year-old Valencia striker Carew and the centre-forward came to Craven Cottage for a medical. However, a condition known as "jumper's knee" was diagnosed in both legs and was thought – wrongly, of course, given the Norwegian is still playing for Aston Villa – to be potentially career-threatening.

Carew later said: "I almost joined Fulham in 2002, but I'm happy I didn't. It was close and I'm not really sure what happened. I went back to Valencia and had a very good season, so it worked out better for me. I would definitely prefer Valencia to Fulham. But that is in the past now and I'm glad I didn't go there."

John Arne Riise – Another Norwegian near miss, Riise's agent – and, erm, mother – Berit Riise had this to say in June 2001: "If the medical goes to plan then John Arne will sign [for Fulham]. We have reached an agreement with Fulham that we'll go there on Monday morning. All the clubs involved have reached an agreement. If there wasn't agreement then Fulham wouldn't have asked us to be there on Monday."

The special one with the power left foot later revealed that he was only toying with Fulham in order to provoke Liverpool into action and his success in this matter led to chants of "mummy's boy" whenever he took on the Cottagers in a red shirt.

Fulham of course signed Riise's brother Bjorn Helge last year. Well, it is a family club after all.

Gabriel Batistuta – The legendary Argentina goal-scorer was offered to Fulham in 2002, eliciting a polite "non merci" from Tigana.

Fulham spokesman Chester Stern told the Daily Express at the time: "In the early part of the year one of our directors was approached through a third party representing Batistuta. We were asked if we would be interested in signing him. Jean Tigana was asked and we immediately responded with a `thanks, but no thanks'. Jean didn't give his reason, but his policy is to maximise profits on young players rather than buy older ones who might be very expensive and not have any resale value after their contract."

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/johnson-set-for-action-1108717.html

Johnson set for action

Andy Johnson will take another step towards a first-team return today when he plays in a behind-closed-doors friendly.
Fulham have arranged a match with Southampton at St Mary's and boss Mark Hughes is anxious for the game to replicate what he would face in the Premier League as close as possible.

Hughes does not want any Saints players to pull out of any tackles on the former England striker so that he can see exactly how he is progressing from his injury problem.

Hughes told the Fulham Chronicle: "We tried to arrange decent opposition last week - but we could only get an in-house match where Andy played 60 minutes.

"But players pulled out of tackles to protect him and themselves. At Southampton he'll get more of a game that will also be competitive - and we'll see after that."