more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

tony gale's commentary

Started by nose returns, February 03, 2019, 11:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose returns

was very interesting because he spoke more like a supporter
he thought the exclusion of sess foolish, the idea TC was so wide madness and generally thought the shape wrong
he was not impressed that CR thought sess to weak and TC not defensively good enough because these are two players that make a difference and are talented.

he also thought the goalkeeper sent a wave of terror through the defence because of his inability/unwillingness to catch the ball from crosses. he thought the first corner where under no pressure rico punched was a bad sign.

i agree with TG, he remains one of my all time fabourite players despite not getting close enough to the leicester palyer that scored the goal that effectively did for us all those years ago.

hovewhite

Shame that Tony isn't the coach.

Woolly Mammoth

I have met him twice, the first time on the field of play when my Sunday team I run played his Sunday team he was associated with and was still playing for over on a ground near Imber Court many years ago. I also bumped into him in a Hotel complex in Sardinia where he and Tony Cottee and Tony's Son Anthony were coaching youngsters. I already knew Anthony because when he was coaching at Chelsea Ladies Academy, he use to call me an ask me to referee the Chelsea Ladies matches on a Wednesday afternoon at Cobham Training Ground.
But on both occasions I found Tony Gale a real football person, down to earth and would stop and talk to anyone no matter who they were, that's why he probably talked to little old me.
But what he has got is Charisma, a personality that has not been spoilt by being in the media, knowledge that some people can only dream about, and he is a Leader of men.
Which is more than I can say for some individuals running teams and clubs in the Premier and football Leagues. He certainly has a lot to offer, but it's not what you know, it's sadly who you know.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Oakeshott

"it's sadly who you know"

Or, in the case of our clearly inadequate DOFO, who your father is.

St Eve

bog

Can he not replace T Khan?   :022:

092.gif

Twig

Nero

This is he problem we have at the moment the Director of Football operations don't really know anything about football, hes stats may well be correct and the scout could be right but if the manager is playing them the wrong way/position could be this the real reason we are so pants. 

filham

Quote from: Nero on February 03, 2019, 03:17:54 PM
This is he problem we have at the moment the Director of Football operations don't really know anything about football, hes stats may well be correct and the scout could be right but if the manager is playing them the wrong way/position could be this the real reason we are so pants. 
What really is so wrong is something of a mystery , For starters explain how we can go from that brilliant 45 minutes against Brighton to that terrible 90 minutes against Palace within a few days, same players and same manager.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: nose on February 03, 2019, 11:56:29 AM
was very interesting because he spoke more like a supporter
he thought the exclusion of sess foolish, the idea TC was so wide madness and generally thought the shape wrong
he was not impressed that CR thought sess to weak and TC not defensively good enough because these are two players that make a difference and are talented.

he also thought the goalkeeper sent a wave of terror through the defence because of his inability/unwillingness to catch the ball from crosses. he thought the first corner where under no pressure rico punched was a bad sign.

i agree with TG, he remains one of my all time fabourite players despite not getting close enough to the leicester palyer that scored the goal that effectively did for us all those years ago.

He's a commentator and not a coach. A Fulhamish Tim Sherwood at best.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: filham on February 03, 2019, 03:59:17 PM
What really is so wrong is something of a mystery , For starters explain how we can go from that brilliant 45 minutes against Brighton to that terrible 90 minutes against Palace within a few days, same players and same manager.

Fulham wasn't terrible for 90 minutes. And let me point out the obvious... what happens on one given day doesn't always happen on the next. Crystal Palace isn't even the same team as Brighton nor was the game played on the same pitch -- just to state the obvious.

Matt10

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on February 03, 2019, 05:06:01 PM

Fulham wasn't terrible for 90 minutes. And let me point out the obvious... what happens on one given day doesn't always happen on the next. Crystal Palace isn't even the same team as Brighton nor was the game played on the same pitch -- just to state the obvious.

Precisely.

We have this mentality that anything different than what we want...is wrong. It's such a convenient position to be in. Very much customer service, yet we act like we are on a tech support phone call and the tech is asking you to "try turning it off and on again".

The reality is we have nothing to do with these decisions on the pitch. Yet, we still get completely upset when what we want to see doesn't happen. It's just very convenient that things aren't working, therefore it validates whatever we suggested being valid.

Brighton set up their defence completely different than Palace. Roy also threw in some additional cover centrally in their box by ensuring that Van Aanholt doesn't pressure as high as Wan-Bissaka did. To me, this was because our crossing was not threatening, and Mitro wasn't drifting to the right to receive a direct pass to hold up play. We did that once via Babel to Mitro, and never again. Christie had 6 total crosses, but only 1 of them was considered decent. Seri had 3, and 2 of them were decent. As a result, our attacking was very one-note and easily defended.

nose returns

Quote from: Matt10 on February 03, 2019, 06:39:05 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on February 03, 2019, 05:06:01 PM

Precisely.

We have this mentality that anything different than what we want...is wrong. It's such a convenient position to be in. Very much customer service, yet we act like we are on a tech support phone call and the tech is asking you to "try turning it off and on again".

The reality is we have nothing to do with these decisions on the pitch. Yet, we still get completely upset when what we want to see doesn't happen. It's just very convenient that things aren't working, therefore it validates whatever we suggested being valid.

Brighton set up their defence completely different than Palace. Roy also threw in some additional cover centrally in their box by ensuring that Van Aanholt doesn't pressure as high as Wan-Bissaka did. To me, this was because our crossing was not threatening, and Mitro wasn't drifting to the right to receive a direct pass to hold up play. We did that once via Babel to Mitro, and never again. Christie had 6 total crosses, but only 1 of them was considered decent. Seri had 3, and 2 of them were decent. As a result, our attacking was very one-note and easily defended.

Much as i loved your suggestions in your own post i cannot agree.

The trick with selecting a team is to get the chemistry right. Playing such that the players compliment each other in a style that suits. In the second half V Brighton we stumbbled upon the formula, it was like a fuzzy picture suddenly clicking into focus. All usual rules of common sense say, stick with it. If it didn't work then maybe think again, but the idea of changing dformation and line up from the previous second half made no sense, and i am bound to say actually affected the psyche of the team and the supporters.

I like the team you suggest, it would need half a dozen games perhaps to bed in but i would run with it, i wouldn't tinker to much and CR did, that is what was at issue. Nothing else, except the display at anfield has been so effective this season, we had nothing to lose by sticking with it.